Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
frenchtoast

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, graefin said:

Is this a style? The brown shutters against the grayish exterior just look weird and mismatched to me, but maybe it's a thing? I can't recall seeing other houses like this.

It looks like a natural wood to me. It somewhat matches the wooden (?) front door and the columns holding up the porch roof. A natural tone for the house would have matched better in my opinion. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, bythelake said:

Something is going on with this bunch because they’re all scrambling to make grift money by endorsing products. Jill’s recipes, Joy’s diet supplement, Jinger’s clothes,hats for the baby, all with product info.,and lastly,Jana’s  SM.

. . . 

Like him or hate him, as I’ve said before, Austin is the only one married to a Duggar who has real job that isn’t tied to JB in some way, He seems to be a hard worker, and has another house ready to flip.

The Forsyths may be the only ones able to survive financially when the show goes down the drain.

I still think JB has something up his sleeve because unlike his children, he’s not lazy about finding ways to get the almighty dollar.

 

36 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I agree with you. I also think the Forsyths have the potential to be happiest after the show ends. They seem realistic about marriage, and aren't pretending that everything is soooo perfect and fun all the time. It seems like they realized early on it was going to be a big adjustment, and worked through those issues. Also, Austin is willing to put in the work, and joy never has to worry about where her next meal will come from. Also, joy seems rather easy to please, so she won't expect a lavish lifestyle. Plus she isn't in love with her social media presence  

Compare that to the rest, who have never had to work hard as adults, and have mainly vanity jobs that wouldn't pay the bills otherwise. Can you imagine how Jessa will feel if Bin can't keep her up in style? Much less, the meltdown Jinger and baaaabe will have. Everything might not look so perfect anymore. They will have a fit when they're wearing thrift store dresses again, and their social media followers are dropping like flies. For joy and Austin, though, life will just continue on when the show is cancelled. 

Brought this over from the Duggalos topic to reply. I agree, Joy seems to be low maintenance and happy to follow Austin's lead. And Austin has an income source independent of TLC - and actually of Boob, too. 

I also agree that Austin seems to hate being photographed or filmed. 

It's interesting to remember that Austin's family *volunteered* to appear on that faux reality TV show where they swapped parents or wives or something. They must have auditioned. I doubt that some producer went rambling around rural Arkansas just looking for a righteous family to feature on the show.

I suspect Pa Forsyth of lusting after fame and the teevee dollahs as much as JB, it's just that JB got there first and hit the jackpot. Austin doesn't seem to take to the camera so maybe he doesn't share that ambition. 

About Joy's "madly in love" (or words to that effect) IG post. That looks like something a 16 year old might post about her boyfriend, more than a married woman with a baby. Especially given Austin's distinctly un-smitten facial expression and body language in the picture she tagged that way. It reminds me of how socially stunted these kids are. Someone not raised in the Duggar bubble would have been over that stuff by now. Instead we get this stuff from Joy, and Jilly Muffin's #besthubbyever craziness. Sadder in Jill's case, IMO, than in Joy's.

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, graefin said:

Is this a style? The brown shutters against the grayish exterior just look weird and mismatched to me, but maybe it's a thing? I can't recall seeing other houses like this.

My friend recently sold her house and she couldn’t get any traffic through it until her real estate agent told her to paint everything gray.  It sold 3 days later. Maybe Austin is combining the gray trend with the wood chic era. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

You can say all the good things you want to about Austin, but he is not providing well for his wife and baby.  Joy and 11-month-old Gideon are living in a camper while Austin renovates houses for other people to live in.  The baby has no place to crawl around and soon will be walking.  There's no bedroom for the baby in that camper and it is probably just a matter of a few months before Joy is pregnant again.  Austin doesn't care about them at all.  The least he could do is buy a decent size mobile home for them to live in.  Of all the Duggar husbands, he is the worst in my opinion. 

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, graefin said:

Is this a style? The brown shutters against the grayish exterior just look weird and mismatched to me, but maybe it's a thing? I can't recall seeing other houses like this.

It’s a pretty popular Joanna Gaines combo (the wood on grey). He missed the mark slightly by going a little too dark with his paint but it might look lighter in person.  That would sell like a hot cake in my area.

Edited by Saylii
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Mollie said:

You can say all the good things you want to about Austin, but he is not providing well for his wife and baby.  Joy and 11-month-old Gideon are living in a camper while Austin renovates houses for other people to live in.  The baby has no place to crawl around and soon will be walking.  There's no bedroom for the baby in that camper and it is probably just a matter of a few months before Joy is pregnant again.  Austin doesn't care about them at all.  The least he could do is buy a decent size mobile home for them to live in.  Of all the Duggar husbands, he is the worst in my opinion. 

Yeah, I get the impression they're living flip to flip. If Austin was making a decent profit off these houses, they should've been able to buy something by now. Or, like you said, at least get a decent trailer. Also, what happens when the market is tapped out? There's only so many crappy re-do's in their price range. 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Mollie said:

You can say all the good things you want to about Austin, but he is not providing well for his wife and baby.  Joy and 11-month-old Gideon are living in a camper while Austin renovates houses for other people to live in.  The baby has no place to crawl around and soon will be walking.  There's no bedroom for the baby in that camper and it is probably just a matter of a few months before Joy is pregnant again.  Austin doesn't care about them at all.  The least he could do is buy a decent size mobile home for them to live in.  Of all the Duggar husbands, he is the worst in my opinion. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if the camper was a form of birth control, just like Jessa and Ben were using everyone in their room at night as their BC.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

The brown shutters against the grayish exterior just look weird and mismatched to me

I just got home from walking the dog and one of the neighbors has just painted their house with that color combination.  I'm not a fan, but it isn't horrible.  It's better than lemon yellow or bright blue or green.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Yeah, I get the impression they're living flip to flip. If Austin was making a decent profit off these houses, they should've been able to buy something by now. Or, like you said, at least get a decent trailer. Also, what happens when the market is tapped out? There's only so many crappy re-do's in their price range. 

But Austin had to flip five houses before he could get married. Wasn’t that to be able to have a home for his family to live?!! What are they doing?

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Jenilane6 said:

Who is photobombing that picture, just behind Joy’s neck?  Jackson, is that you?

I think it is. Well played, as usual, Jackson. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

But Austin had to flip five houses before he could get married. Wasn’t that to be able to have a home for his family to live?!! What are they doing?

Remember Joy had an emergency c-section.  They sold the property they were in pretty shortly after Gideon was born.  I wonder if it was to pay down some of that medical debt.  Austin’s the hardest working of the in-laws, but I bet he brought the least familial support to the table.

  • Like 22

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, Saylii said:

Remember Joy had an emergency c-section.  They sold the property they were in pretty shortly after Gideon was born.  I wonder if it was to pay down some of that medical debt.  Austin’s the hardest working of the in-laws, but I bet he brought the least familial support to the table.

You’re right- I completly forgot about the c-section; and how much that can potentially cost a young couple. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Saylii said:

The baby has no place to crawl around and soon will be walking.

The baby doesn't need room to crawl around. If he tries to move off his blanket, he'll be hit by a stick.

  • Like 22

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/24/2019 at 9:16 AM, mimionthebeach said:

I thought you were all being a bit harsh. But I'd only seen the first picture then. He's cute,  I think, in that one. Then I saw the second one (!)... not so cute. I actually shrieked when I swiped to the third one. 

Aw..he looks like a little old man.

Screenshot_20190127-013404.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/24/2019 at 10:38 PM, Jenilane6 said:

Who is photobombing that picture, just behind Joy’s neck?  Jackson, is that you?

Ha! Good eyesight, I didn't notice him until you mentioned it.

20190127_014306.jpg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Ha! Good eyesight, I didn't notice him until you mentioned it.

20190127_014306.jpg

Ok, I just now saw it, too!  That Jackson.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, louannems said:

That Jackson.

Jackson puzzles me more than any of the other kids. By his age, all of his older brothers were separated from their sisters, put to work at one of JB's various enterprises and, if necessary, shipped off to Alert to have their spirit broken. Why is Jackson still treated like a child, allowed to goof off with his sisters, rarely photographed just standing around with his brothers and permitted to shamelessly mug for the camera? In the Duggars' philosophy, a child with an exuberant, attention-seeking personality is a child that needs to disciplined and beaten into conformity. 

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

Jackson puzzles me more than any of the other kids. By his age, all of his older brothers were separated from their sisters, put to work at one of JB's various enterprises and, if necessary, shipped off to Alert to have their spirit broken. Why is Jackson still treated like a child, allowed to goof off with his sisters, rarely photographed just standing around with his brothers and permitted to shamelessly mug for the camera? In the Duggars' philosophy, a child with an exuberant, attention-seeking personality is a child that needs to disciplined and beaten into conformity. 

Jackson is the oldest of what I call the “little kids”- the kids all born after TLC came into the picture. He was the first one born on camera and will never know life without TLC comforts. I think because of this he’s treated like one of the lost girls, and is babied as the youngest boy. He and Johannah were tight as kids, and with everything else going on (Josh scandals and getting the kids married) JB & Michelle could care less about the kids Jackson on down (minus Josie). These kids were raised ENTIRELY by their buddies until the buddies left home. 

  • Like 22

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

They are too busy marketing the rest to pay attention to what Jackson is up to. By the time they lose the TV show, figure out they aren't going to make the Balding Boy Band and Lost Girls a "thing", and have tried to Tetris all the growing families into various properties; Jackson is going to be donning a leather jacket and terrifying the residents of Tonitown on his motorcycle.

One can only hope. 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
On 26/01/2019 at 3:49 PM, Albanyguy said:

The baby doesn't need room to crawl around. If he tries to move off his blanket, he'll be hit by a stick.

I do wonder if they are raising their kids the same as their parents did but who knows. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/27/2019 at 8:56 AM, Albanyguy said:

Why is Jackson still treated like a child, allowed to goof off with his sisters, rarely photographed just standing around with his brothers and permitted to shamelessly mug for the camera?

I think it's also because he is so small for his age that his parents subconsciously put him in the same category as J'Tyler, still young enough to hang around the Lost Girls.

Joy may not mind staying in an RV rather than living in a house. Clean up is easier and with only one baby, it's not really that cramped. It's when Gideon gets bigger and needs more space or more babies come along that it's not very practical.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Joy seems so nonplussed about everything. Maybe she’s just happy as a roughing it kinda gal? I think she found a good match, and doesn’t seem at all scared or intimidated by him (double dipping!).

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post

Never mind. Sorry!

Edited by Portia · Reason: I wasn't as correct as I thought I was! :)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

"We feed you a big lunch"

Camera cuts to Mr. Forsyth serving potatoes out of a tiny casserole dish that wouldn't even feed ten people.

"Moms get a break"

Not so much when you have to bring all your own linens and towels, and set up your own cabin. 

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

To be honest, after a week of non-stop “family togetherness”, there’s a high possibility that I would completely dislike my kids. One thing that I know about myself as a mom is that being with my kids 24/7 isn’t healthy for any of us. 

Then you shouldn't go to the camp. Because it appears that everybody there is armed much of the time. Including small children. lol

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 21
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Then you shouldn't go to the camp. Because it appears that everybody there is armed much of the time. Including small children. lol

I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of weapons. Even more than when my son goes to Scout camp. 😀

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Then you shouldn't go to the camp. Because it appears that everybody there is armed much of the time. Including small children. lol

I always thought that the Protestant Bible had fewer books than my Catholic one, who knew that the Book of Armaments actually existed?

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/2/2019 at 9:23 AM, BitterApple said:

"We feed you a big lunch"

Camera cuts to Mr. Forsyth serving potatoes out of a tiny casserole dish that wouldn't even feed ten people.

I thought you were being snarky! 😂

rps20190203_233355.jpg

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

Austin's mother's hair is always in her face. It annoys me to no end! Someone give that woman a bobby pin, please.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/2/2019 at 5:14 PM, irisheyes said:

To be honest, after a week of non-stop “family togetherness”, there’s a high possibility that I would completely dislike my kids. One thing that I know about myself as a mom is that being with my kids 24/7 isn’t healthy for any of us. 

Maybe that's why my mom went back to work 8 days after she had her 3rd kid😁

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Um, the dude in the background with the bowler hat & bow tie? 

WTF?   Did the gift shop run out of John Deere ball caps & camo t-shirts?  

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

All those guns?  Throwing hatchets?  I would never take my kids to a place like that.  Somebody is going to get hurt one of these days~

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, riverblue22 said:

All those guns?  Throwing hatchets?  I would never take my kids to a place like that.  Somebody is going to get hurt one of these days~

Yes this camp sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I went to summer camp in Texas.  We had shotguns, bows & arrows, axes for chopping wood, machete's for setting up camp and any number of horrifyingly deadly weapons at hand.  Ages ranged from 8 to 17.  And there were no parents there, just counselors.  They were trained how to use the items safely, because it was their job.   

Something tells me the parents that freak out about a few hand tools, sleeping bags and no Wi-Fi probably don't go there anyway. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/2/2019 at 5:07 PM, Churchhoney said:

Then you shouldn't go to the camp. Because it appears that everybody there is armed much of the time. Including small children. lol

Thanks, @Churchhoney, you gave me the best laugh of my day!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm from New England in the days before wi-fi. From when my firstborn was a baby we camped, chopped wood, lit fires, etc. My kids also took archery in summer camp. But there's no way I would have let my kids attend a camp run by young counselors where shotguns were part of the experience. I wouldn't freak out about at all, because it would never happen.

Same. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Lunera said:

They removed the comments from this post.

Assholes. Not surprised that they cannot stand to hear any views that contradict their own very narrow-minded ones.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I checked out the freedomist IG page, and it's just a kid who thinks he knows it all, in the guise of conservatism. Whatever, Austin.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 3
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

Ugh, I can’t even watch, I’m sure I’d be livid. What do these sheltered morons know of freedom, or the sacrifice it has taken to have it?  Or of not being free?  

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

What do they think it means?

Just the usual. The law of their God (exactly as they construe it) must be the literal, total and absolute law of this land -- in detail and for everyone -- or we're doomed. 

Freedom equals "My way or the highway," in other words. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Just the usual. The law of their God (exactly as they construe it) must be the literal, total and absolute law of this land -- in detail and for everyone -- or we're doomed. 

Freedom equals "My way or the highway," in other words. 

Exactly like Sharia law then.

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×