Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, madmax said:

All of those Reese's ads with that obnoxious guy irritate me.  Makes me want to stop eating...nah, who am I kidding? 😄

Most of those Reese's ads fall into the category of "annoying but easy to ignore" for me.  This one just pushed it a little too far!

• Love 3

The longer they air, the more I hate the 'Hungry Root' ads. I can't stand that smug crooning of 'Hungry Root came throoooough', I despise the manic woman cutting open the box ('this is the best part!!!'), and I'm baffled why anyone would want to stuff their fridge with a ton of what appears to be very perishable food.

Unless they all have huge households/families, how can people get through all the produce and fresh prepared salads and so on? I am very careful about refrigerated storage, and I seldom manage to keep a box of mushrooms even a week before they get slimy.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

The longer they air, the more I hate the 'Hungry Root' ads. I can't stand that smug crooning of 'Hungry Root came throoooough', I despise the manic woman cutting open the box ('this is the best part!!!'), and I'm baffled why anyone would want to stuff their fridge with a ton of what appears to be very perishable food.

Unless they all have huge households/families, how can people get through all the produce and fresh prepared salads and so on? I am very careful about refrigerated storage, and I seldom manage to keep a box of mushrooms even a week before they get slimy.

Not to mention all that damn plastic they use for packaging.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I have made several comments re Hungryroot over on the Food thread the topic is one that covers several food services.

Hungryroot BAD, bad delivery, bad service. I have only gotten 2  boxes and both were thawed out and I had to throw away all the proteins and perishables in both boxes. I have cancelled.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I don't see why Reese's needs advertising beyond "Hey, remember Reese's Peanut Butter Cups? You can get some at the store right now."

As if it would be possible to forget about Peanut Butter Cups................

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Not to mention all that damn plastic they use for packaging.

I agree with both of you. Unless they are feeding an army, all that fresh food will go to waste soon, and using a ton of plastic packaging defeats the purpose of being environmentally proactive.

• Love 4
On 8/25/2021 at 11:19 PM, madmax said:

All of those Reese's ads with that obnoxious guy irritate me.  Makes me want to stop eating...nah, who am I kidding? 😄

Will Arnett.  Would Batman lie?

• LOL 1

Medicare Advantage: Oh, good grief. Now Danny Glover's doing one.  I'm curious (but not enough to actually call them) as to what your zip code has to do with your benefits. If you move, your benefits might change?

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

If you move, your benefits might change?

Medicare Advantage programs are HMO-like-- and yeah, they are offered by private health care companies which are regional, much like PPOs and HMOs that you may choose from your employer. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

I really really dislike the new ad, can't remember what it is for, where the flight attendant asks if anyone can fly the plane and a really stupid guy jumps up to do it, not having a clue how. I would be happy to push him off the plane.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

On 8/26/2021 at 9:45 AM, sempervivum said:

Do you keep the mushrooms in the polystyrene box with plastic wrap?  I keep mine in a paper bag, unwashed, and have learnt they can last to the point of mummification!

• Useful 1

Linzess.  "Not a laxative." 

Well sorry, yes it is, since by the company's own admission (and advertising) it gives you "more frequent and complete bowel movements".  And the fact that 

"LINZESS is contraindicated in patients less than 6 years of age. Avoid use of LINZESS in patients 6 years to less than 18 years of age"

doesn't make it sound any more appealing.  And what does "patients 6 years to less than 18 years" even mean?  I think I'll just eat more fibre.

• Love 4
On 8/16/2021 at 4:45 PM, chenoa333 said:

Yes! My favorite/funniest example of this is the Medi Care Help Line commercial. Sometimes you get Joe Namath and sometimes you get Jimmy "JJ" Walker! Does anybody even remember him? 😄

JJ currently has a show on Sirius XM. He does a good job there.

• Useful 1
19 hours ago, Leeds said:

Well sorry, yes it is, since by the company's own admission (and advertising) it gives you "more frequent and complete bowel movements".  And the fact that 

"LINZESS is contraindicated in patients less than 6 years of age. Avoid use of LINZESS in patients 6 years to less than 18 years of age"

doesn't make it sound any more appealing.  And what does "patients 6 years to less than 18 years" even mean?  I think I'll just eat more fibre.

That makes as much sense as references to "children over 18" that I have seen in medical directions.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, susannah said:

That makes as much sense as references to "children over 18" that I have seen in medical directions.

Maybe they mean those over18yrs who have their mommies and daddies come with them on their job interviews, and have them yell at their college professors if they get a bad grade. I'm not making this shit up.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I continue to hate the Sonic commercials, particularly the one where the two women are trying to figure out how to spell "bananas".  And I don't see the point of the one where the dog is sitting in the passenger seat, panting, while the woman eats whatever she's eating.  The two idiots from the old days were less bad than these "real" people.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I continue to hate the Sonic commercials, particularly the one where the two women are trying to figure out how to spell "bananas".  And I don't see the point of the one where the dog is sitting in the passenger seat, panting, while the woman eats whatever she's eating.  The two idiots from the old days were less bad than these "real" people.

My dad and I feel bad for the dog. He's sitting there watching her have milkshake while he has nothing. Why didn't she get him a little vanilla ice cream from Sonic so he could have a treat too?  

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

My dad and I feel bad for the dog. He's sitting there watching her have milkshake while he has nothing. Why didn't she get him a little vanilla ice cream from Sonic so he could have a treat too?  

I feel the same way about the guy going on and on extolling the virtues of some mac and cheese (Stouffer's I think) to his poor dog, not even offering him a bite. Just plain mean.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I don't like these new ones at all. I actually liked the old ones, to the surprise of everyone in my family.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 6/27/2021 at 9:41 PM, shoovenbooty said:

I read through a few pages back and couldn't find much about HungryRoot, so maybe nobody else is as annoyed by the woman randomly singing about how "HungryRoot came throughhhhh..." for her, while she shows us her fridge full of HungryRoot items. Makes me cringe every time I hear it.

I hate the one where the woman says "and now I open the box" then lifts the lid open while pretending to cut it open

• Love 2
On 6/27/2021 at 5:59 PM, Gramto6 said:

There is a new ad I have seen recently one version is grossing me out. It is called Lume a personal deodorant for all parts of the body. Pits, crotch and butt. The one that grosses me out is the demonstration of application to the butt crack. They say use a pea sized drop of the cream and rub it outside the butt, they demonstrate it it on the "crack" of a peach!  Gross, gross, gross!!!  

Don't people shower anymore???

the one with the wrinkled cartoon butt and the little green bugs slurping up what ever is there takes the gross award by far

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Scubb said:

the one with the wrinkled cartoon butt and the little green bugs slurping up what ever is there takes the gross award by far

The Lume ads are the worst and they are beyond relentless. I get that they are going for honest and not being ashamed about natural bodily functions but the ads are just so juvenile.

1 hour ago, Scubb said:

I hate the one where the woman says "and now I open the box" then lifts the lid open while pretending to cut it open

I'm genuinely amazed by the number of food delivery services there are. HungryRoot, MarleySpoon, Freshly, etc... but my least favorite meal service commercial is without a doubt Daily Harvest. The sight of the white refrigerator in the white kitchen in the white home filled with perfectly spaced Daily Harvest meals just feels so sci-fi/dystopian. Plus the food looks lousy.

• Love 10
On 8/24/2021 at 4:20 PM, OldStandard said:

Maybe I’m getting too old to understand or appreciate the focus of many of today’s commercials.  The one where the couple is arguing over who tells another person that they have spilled salsa on their shirt - what IS the point besides annoying us?  Are all the advertising personnel who used to address people as semi-rational adults all retired and gone?  I just seem to find myself scratching my head and wondering what the heck is the message!  And then I reach for the mute or fast forward buttons!

I particularly hate that one because I find Dan Levy incredibly annoying and not the least bit funny.

On 8/28/2021 at 1:40 AM, Leeds said:

Well sorry, yes it is, since by the company's own admission (and advertising) it gives you "more frequent and complete bowel movements". 

Apparently it's not considered a laxative because it's intended to treat other symptoms of IBS as well, not just make you have bowel movements.  It looks like a traditional laxative specifically makes you go but doesn't really address anything else.  It's a technical difference, I guess.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I particularly hate that one because I find Dan Levy incredibly annoying and not the least bit funny.

I absolutely adored him, and found him hilarious, in Schitt's Creek, and Kate MacKinnon's face and mannerisms have cracked me up on the regular, but that Tostitos commercial is so not funny I'm almost embarrassed for them.

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Apparently it's not considered a laxative because it's intended to treat other symptoms of IBS as well, not just make you have bowel movements.  It looks like a traditional laxative specifically makes you go but doesn't really address anything else.  It's a technical difference, I guess.

Thinking of the drug gold mine diphenhydramine, aka Benadryl. It has a list of effects which drug sellers can pick and choose from: it can be used for allergy, cold, or motion sickness symptoms and as a bonus (and here's the genius IMO) since one of its main "side" effects is that it makes people drowsy it is also used as a sleep aid. All are really just effects, period.

The Linzess people could start leaning into the laxative angle if they're not making enough on it since the setup seems to be there already.

• Love 2

Maybe I'm just getting old and curmudgeonly, but I am really irritated with the Kind bar commercial where they talk about world peace.  She can't do world peace, but she can do one kind thing - take her bag off the chair so someone else can sit down.  WTF?  That's not a kind act, that's not being an asshole.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
On 8/29/2021 at 5:36 AM, cynicat said:

Maybe they mean those over18yrs who have their mommies and daddies come with them on their job interviews, and have them yell at their college professors if they get a bad grade. I'm not making this shit up.

I know you're not! It's completely pathetic.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, CoderLady said:

Thinking of the drug gold mine diphenhydramine, aka Benadryl. It has a list of effects which drug sellers can pick and choose from: it can be used for allergy, cold, or motion sickness symptoms and as a bonus (and here's the genius IMO) since one of its main "side" effects is that it makes people drowsy it is also used as a sleep aid. All are really just effects, period.

The Linzess people could start leaning into the laxative angle if they're not making enough on it since the setup seems to be there already.

It can also be used to ease itching from various causes. It IS a gold mine!

• Love 3

That Olean/Olestra stuff was why I never bought low-fat chips.  Then I saw on America's Test Kitchen that the current crop of low-fat chips are just like regular chips, same ingredients, but they spend more time in the centrifuge, spinning & slinging off the excess fat.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Useful 6

Car Shield: Ice-T's friend has this "old SUV" and it's manufacturers' warranty is about to expire...

How old can it be if it still has a makers' warranty?  I recall once buying an extended warranty for one of my Hondas (waste of money) and it was only 8 years.  These days, 8 years isn't all that old of a car, is it?

• Love 4

I don't watch a lot of tv but I listen to a hell of a lot of it. That Zocdoc commercial where the girl breaks a tooth and her dad walks into the coffee table is making me homicidal.

Gawd yes! And when the guy goes to the podiatrist, the doctor is examining his foot with the sock still on it. He's not even seeing a good foot doctor!

I'm genuinely amazed by the number of food delivery services there are. HungryRoot, MarleySpoon, Freshly, etc... but my least favorite meal service commercial is without a doubt Daily Harvest. The sight of the white refrigerator in the white kitchen in the white home filled with perfectly spaced Daily Harvest meals just feels so sci-fi/dystopian. Plus the food looks lousy.

The food doesn't look like it has any flavor.

• Love 2
On 8/29/2021 at 10:15 AM, Browncoat said:

These are weird because the one lady says to the other “my husband”; it seems like they know each other well enough that the other lady would know his name. It’s a small thing, I know—it doesn’t “enrage” me or anything. Haha, it reminds me of when my sister accidentally says “my dad” in a conversation with me!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, TattleTeeny said:

These are weird because the one lady says to the other “my husband”; it seems like they know each other well enough that the other lady would know his name. It’s a small thing, I know—it doesn’t “enrage” me or anything. Haha, it reminds me of when my sister accidentally says “my dad” in a conversation with me!

I did that one.  I said "my sister" to my mom.  And yes my mom is her mom, too.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 8/28/2021 at 1:40 AM, Leeds said:

That Linzess wording makes me crazy too—just say “not for anyone younger than 18 years” or something. But, now that I work in that industry, I can tell you that it was probably just an oversight in the prescribing info; they probably meant to delete the first part and make a more inclusive, succinct sentence. But once it’s approved by the powers that be, it’s a hassle to update. So as long as it’s not egregiously wrong, it will likely stay as is for a while.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2