Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Yeah, as near as I can tell my direct deposits go through the morning of the Friday I would have received my physical paycheck if I were still working in the office. So, maybe two or three hours earlier than I would have been able to deposit them myself on my lunch break. I don't think Chime could do much good for me; guess I won't be annoying my co-workers by bragging about getting paid earlier than they do.

Also, if you get paid every Friday or every Wednesday, or every Monday, the interval between paychecks is the same.  You still have to manage your money appropriately.

• Love 15
Just now, Browncoat said:

Also, if you get paid every Friday or every Wednesday, or every Monday, the interval between paychecks is the same.  You still have to manage your money appropriately.

yeah don't get any extra money. It's all the same. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Yeah, as near as I can tell my direct deposits go through the morning of the Friday I would have received my physical paycheck if I were still working in the office. So, maybe two or three hours earlier than I would have been able to deposit them myself on my lunch break. I don't think Chime could do much good for me; guess I won't be annoying my co-workers by bragging about getting paid earlier than they do.

You'll have to find another way to annoy them! 😀

• LOL 4
7 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Also, if you get paid every Friday or every Wednesday, or every Monday, the interval between paychecks is the same.

Exactly.  The employer electronically sends out the payroll's direct deposits on day X per their policy, and then banks make it available somewhere between then and payday per their policy.  So if your company posts direct deposits on Wednesday, Bank A doesn't make them available until payday, Bank B makes them available Wednesday, and you switch, you get that first paycheck with Bank B two days earlier than you would have - that one time, there are five days instead of a week/12 days instead of two weeks/whatever in between checks (assuming in the first place direct deposit takes effect quickly upon switching your information from Bank A to Bank B).  But your next deposit and all the ones after that come one week (or two weeks, or whatever your company's schedule is) later. 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

The best part of cake is the frosting.

I don't understand these cakes at all.  Shouldn't the sides of the cakes be fully frosted?  If they aren't fully frosted, won't the sides of the cake dry out?🎂

Yes, unless the entire cake was eaten the day it was baked, I think it would dry out.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I like the Parker Promo State Farm commercial because Parker is so cool but the Mia Markdown? I can't even watch it. I'm no vegetarian but when she starts piling up slab after slab of raw meat, it turns my stomach. Blargh.

It's absolutely repulsive!  And then there is the problem that she is stealing from her employer.  How is that concept OK in all those commercials?  If they are paying their employers for the products, then where is their savings?

• Love 9
48 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Exactly.  The employer electronically sends out the payroll's direct deposits on day X per their policy, and then banks make it available somewhere between then and payday per their policy.  So if your company posts direct deposits on Wednesday, Bank A doesn't make them available until payday, Bank B makes them available Wednesday, and you switch, you get that first paycheck with Bank B two days earlier than you would have - that one time, there are five days instead of a week/12 days instead of two weeks/whatever in between checks (assuming in the first place direct deposit takes effect quickly upon switching your information from Bank A to Bank B).  But your next deposit and all the ones after that come one week (or two weeks, or whatever your company's schedule is) later. 

Not always. I got paid on the 1st of the month, so if that fell on Saturday of a long weekend, I had to eke out three more days of food for my kids, gas for the car, etc. The next payday would come in less time, but that doesn’t help when you’re at $0 right now. 

• Useful 2
8 minutes ago, Calamity Jane said:

Not always. I got paid on the 1st of the month, so if that fell on Saturday of a long weekend, I had to eke out three more days of food for my kids, gas for the car, etc. The next payday would come in less time, but that doesn’t help when you’re at $0 right now. 

I'm talking about where payday is a day of the week, not a date (e.g. every other Friday, not the 1st of every month).

I thought she referenced a Friday payday in the commercial, but it has - thankfully - been so long since I've seen it, maybe I invented that based on discussion here.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Since there is still discussion of the Chime banking deposit, I'll add my two cents.  For my employer, we transmit the payroll on Tuesday for a Friday pay date.  A few people may have pay posted to their bank account on Wednesday, a few more on Thursday, the rest are posted soon after midnight Friday morning.  The payroll processor transmits all to the banks on Wednesday, but it is individual bank polices that determine when the pay is posted to accounts.

People get used to getting pay "early", but occasionally  there is a delay.  I've been yelled  at when pay doesn't hit on Thursday - "you ruined my weekend!"

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, Calamity Jane said:

That's a terrible employer policy.  If pay day is not a banking day, it should be paid the day before.  My employer pays on the day before if the usual Friday pay day is a holiday.

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 10
11 minutes ago, Suzn said:

Since there is still discussion of the Chime banking deposit, I'll add my two cents.  For my employer, we transmit the payroll on Tuesday for a Friday pay date.  A few people may have pay posted to their bank account on Wednesday, a few more on Thursday, the rest are posted soon after midnight Friday morning.  The payroll processor transmits all to the banks on Wednesday, but it is individual bank polices that determine when the pay is posted to accounts.

People get used to getting pay "early", but occasionally  there is a delay.  I've been yelled  at when pay doesn't hit on Thursday - "you ruined my weekend!"

Payday for me was Friday. As early as Wednesday, it would show up in my checking account as a "pending" deposit. It wouldn't become a completed deposit until sometime overnight Thursday/Friday.  Now, Social Security shows up as "pending" almost a week early, but I can't access it until the fourth Wed. of the month.

• Love 3
On 8/5/2021 at 7:51 PM, Leeds said:

Allstate insurance with the woman in the car skipping rope with some little girls.  Not only is it unutterably stupid, it gives me motion sickness.

I saw that commercial for the first time this weekend. It was beyond stupid.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 8/8/2021 at 1:48 PM, Bruinsfan said:

Yeah, as near as I can tell my direct deposits go through the morning of the Friday I would have received my physical paycheck if I were still working in the office. So, maybe two or three hours earlier than I would have been able to deposit them myself on my lunch break.

Can you not just take a picture of the cheque on your phone and it gets deposited that way?  Definitely a generational thing; I think this is the most useless app ever invented unless you live in the wilderness somewhere, my kids think it's the best thing since sliced bread.  As a banker, it was always a nightmare because people would 'forget' they already deposited the cheque and try to deposit it again, then wonder why the second deposit was rejected a few days later when the clearing system recognized it as having already been scanned.

On topic, I'm watching the Always commercial where not only do they smear red liquid on the pad before the woman rubs her finger over it to show how it gets absorbed, but she also swings her white pants covered legs around the chair and spreads them, I guess so we can see that there were no leaks.  Gross.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Can you not just take a picture of the cheque on your phone and it gets deposited that way?  Definitely a generational thing; I think this is the most useless app ever invented unless you live in the wilderness somewhere, my kids think it's the best thing since sliced bread.  As a banker, it was always a nightmare because people would 'forget' they already deposited the cheque and try to deposit it again, then wonder why the second deposit was rejected a few days later when the clearing system recognized it as having already been scanned.

On topic, I'm watching the Always commercial where not only do they smear red liquid on the pad before the woman rubs her finger over it to show how it gets absorbed, but she also swings her white pants covered legs around the chair and spreads them, I guess so we can see that there were no leaks.  Gross.

I would never white or anything light colored when I'm on my period.

• Love 6
On 8/8/2021 at 2:08 PM, peacheslatour said:

I like the Parker Promo State Farm commercial because Parker is so cool but the Mia Markdown? I can't even watch it. I'm no vegetarian but when she starts piling up slab after slab of raw meat, it turns my stomach. Blargh.

I first thought it was a bunch of toss away cuts because there's so much thick fat on the ends.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I think that mobile deposit app is the best thing since sliced bread, and I'm approaching Medicare age!  I always make a habit of (and advised my millennial kids to) jotting down in pencil on the face of the check the date I deposited it, so I don't come back later and say - oops, I forgot to deposit this, let me do that now!.  Even in the "before times" when I was out and about every day or so, I was still happy to avoid a stop at the bank drive-thru.  Did I mention I really like working from home?

But back to the  Chime ad, I agree that any benefit it might provide vs. regular direct deposit is extremely marginal.  How do they make their money?  Do they take out a percentage of your paycheck?

Edited by SoMuchTV
fixing typo
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

think that mobile deposit app is the best thing since sliced bread, and I'm approaching Medicare age!  I always make a habit of (and advised my millennial kids to) jotting down in pencil on the face of the check the date I deposited it, so I don't come back later and say - oops, I forgot to deposit this, let me do that now!.  Even in the "before times" when I was out and about every day or so, I was still happy to avoid a stop at the bank drive-thru.  Did I mention I really like working from home?

I agree on all of that! And I kind of laugh at the fact that 10 years ago I carefully researched which banks had branches within walking distance of my daughter's college. I don't think she darkened the doorway of that bank a single time during her four years there!

• LOL 10
51 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I agree on all of that! And I kind of laugh at the fact that 10 years ago I carefully researched which banks had branches within walking distance of my daughter's college. I don't think she darkened the doorway of that bank a single time during her four years there!

I never went to the bank when I was away at school (didn't have a car, for one thing). We had a no-fee ATM (that even gave small bills!) on campus, and we could cash checks at the business office. If you had a campus job you had to go there to pick up your paycheck and most people just cashed them right then. If I had to deposit a check I would mail it home and my mom would do it (it was a joint account so she could do stuff while I was away), or I would just wait until I went home on a break.

I do love mobile deposit (as a Gen-X-er), though (at least once I got a phone that could do it; I only had my tablet before that and it was so hard to get a picture the app would accept). Especially since covid. TD Bank tells you to write on the check that you deposited it and to destroy it after it clears.

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

But back to the  Chime ad, I agree that any benefit it might provide vs. regular direct deposit is extremely marginal.  How do they make their money?  Do they take out a percentage of your paycheck?

According to a site called productmint.com, "Chime makes money by charging so-called interchange fees for every transaction conducted with the card, interest earned on cash, as well as ATM fees." (Another google result mentioned "kickbacks from Visa"; I assume that's the interchange fee...)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 8/10/2021 at 6:54 PM, ams1001 said:

According to a site called productmint.com, "Chime makes money by charging so-called interchange fees for every transaction conducted with the card, interest earned on cash, as well as ATM fees." (Another google result mentioned "kickbacks from Visa"; I assume that's the interchange fee...)

And this makes it superior to standard banking how? 

This reminds me of how annoyed I get hearing Warby Parker basically claim they're unique in offering progressive lenses- all optical places have that!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That kid I can't stand who says "pick a nil" instead of Pinnacle is, apparently, not local to Atlanta, as she's on the Knoxville TV stations, too.  "No, Bailey, it's 'Pinnacle'." "That's what I said...Pick a Nil."

They're probably going for a Mason Reese "Borgasmord" thing.

• Useful 4
On 8/8/2021 at 5:25 AM, icemiser69 said:

IIRC, anyone who has ever had direct deposit would have gotten their money earlier than those that were handed a paycheck.  Is the obnoxious snot in that ad saying that she gets her money even faster than direct deposit?

She's talking about Chime paying her earlier than a regular bank would, which does require direct deposit.  The fine print in the commercial says that it's up to the employer whether or not they can credit your account earlier than pay day.  I know my employer only does that on those very few rare payday Fridays which fall on a national holiday when banks are closed; then we get paid on Thursday, via direct deposit, no matter what bank you have.

On 8/7/2021 at 4:11 PM, Crashcourse said:

Chime commercial:  Why does that woman think it's a good idea to walk into the office and boast that she got paid two days earlier than everyone else?  Is she waiting for a bitch slap?

It's so stupid.  It's not as though she gets paid more frequently than her co-workers.  Her cheque has to last a month, just like everyone else's.

• Love 7

Okay, what’s with the new commercials featuring a celebrity or athlete or group thereof advertising a product only to see in the fine print “X celebrity doesn’t actually use this product.”  WTH?  Not that celebrity endorsements are persuasive in any way, but it reminds me of diet commercials showing a luscious creamy cake when the reality is a flat, stale, piece of cardboard with very little taste!

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, OldStandard said:

Okay, what’s with the new commercials featuring a celebrity or athlete or group thereof advertising a product only to see in the fine print “X celebrity doesn’t actually use this product.”  WTH?  Not that celebrity endorsements are persuasive in any way, but it reminds me of diet commercials showing a luscious creamy cake when the reality is a flat, stale, piece of cardboard with very little taste!

Did you really think Andie McDowell used L'Oreal or Brooke Shields furnishes her home with La-Z- Boy?

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Don't look up what he looks like now, it's horrifying.

As a young adult, he used to work in our neighborhood Crazy Eddie, an electronics chain of the 70s and 80s in NYC.  Famous for its irritating commercials, to keep this on topic.

4 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I saw in in a Nathan's in NYC decades ago when he was famous, he looked like a middle aged man back then.

see my other comment.

Crazy Eddie commercials.

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Did you really think Andie McDowell used L'Oreal or Brooke Shields furnishes her home with La-Z- Boy?

I don't think La Z Boy is cheap furniture, I don't know, but I wouldn't say she does or doesn't!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Aw c'mon, the poor guy can't help it.

Exactly.  I don't know anything about Mason Reese other than he's about 5' tall, but he always looked like he had some sort of disability.  Now maybe he doesn't, but in any event, he can't help how he looks.   

• Love 3

I never thought that celebrities really shopped at Sears or K-Mart (Cheryl Tiegs and Jaclyn Smith).  But I don’t understand the point of listing a number of Olympic athletes, showing them practicing or competing, and then talking about a migraine medicine - and then saying “this competitor does not use this product.”  Then what’s the point?  Some of them say they use the medicine and it helps them - great- so why show someone who does not even have migraines?

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
18 minutes ago, OldStandard said:

I never thought that celebrities really shopped at Sears or K-Mart (Cheryl Tiegs and Jaclyn Smith).  But I don’t understand the point of listing a number of Olympic athletes, showing them practicing or competing, and then talking about a migraine medicine - and then saying “this competitor does not use this product.”  Then what’s the point?  Some of them say they use the medicine and it helps them - great- so why show someone who does not even have migraines?

There's one for a diabetes medication with Laurie Hernandez and her dad, who has diabetes but does not use said medication.

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
Just now, ams1001 said:

There's one for a diabetes medication with Laurie Hernandez and her dad, who has diabetes but does not use said medication.

How disingenuous. That is another reason I sincerely wish  pharmaceuticals were outlawed from being advertised on TV.

• Love 18
On 8/12/2021 at 4:18 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

They're probably going for a Mason Reese "Borgasmord" thing.

I remember him in a TV interview back in the 80s saying that he felt insulted having to say it that way because he knew how to pronounce “smorgasbord,” thankyouverymuch, and the producers fibbed by saying “that’s how it’s pronounced in Norwegian” or some such.  He didn’t buy it, but did it anyway.

On 8/10/2021 at 7:54 PM, ams1001 said:

TD Bank tells you to write on the check that you deposited it and to destroy it after it clears.

And they should know (my former employer for 44 years!)

If I have to listen to Jennifer Aniston say, 'thank you, soy!' one more freaking time, I may have to turn the channel I have been watching all day.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I understand why that commercial can be considered offensive, but I have seen worse.  And given when that commercial aired, and IIRC pulled, a couple of years later, All in the Family premiered, and ran from 71-79.  There couldn't have been a more offensive character than Archie Bunker.

Going to Small Talk.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, bankerchick said:

If I have to listen to Jennifer Aniston say, 'thank you, soy!' one more freaking time, I may have to turn the channel I have been watching all day.

Don't forget about poor Jennifer's dry skin that she moisturizes with Aveeno. Or her dry eye. And her yoga/peletron/skipping rope commercial for whatever the f she's shilling today.

On 8/13/2021 at 7:16 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

Don't look up what he looks like now, it's horrifying.

Ok. Don't threaten me with a challenge! 😄 I did it. I looked him up. Shockingly, he is only 5 feet tall according to IMDB (and 5 feet wide according to me.)

He also has only one relationship listed and it was with a female soft porn "star." Good for him. 

• Love 5