Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I just started watching shows on Start TV a couple months ago after signing up for a multi month YouTube TV deal. There's this commercial for Healthy Wager with a woman crying about reaching her goal weight which drives me up a wall now because of how many times I've seen it. I've been letting shows record on there and watching them an hour later or at a later time just so I don't have to see it and all the other predatory commercials directed at older people. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 3

I've been letting shows record on there and watching them an hour later or at a later time just so I don't have to see it and all the other predatory commercials directed at older people. 

Watching TV these days makes me feel old.

• Love 6

I see this ad for the iPhone 12 non-stop when I watch something on streaming or OnDemand with commercials. It drives me right up a wall. No offense to anyone who likes this singer, whoever it may be, but her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. It's is just so ear-shatteringly whiny and twangy. "Serrrr-cheeeng." 

• Love 2

I keep seeing this one. It's for "Jackery" which is some sort of battery that lets you run your "essential items" in a power outage (like your dvd payer and your lamp, not inessential things like furnaces and refrigerators LOL). The thing that annoys me is the initial look of terror on mom's face, then she brings her children under her metaphorical wings, calming them, while heroic father springs to the rescue (as any red-blooded male would do), grabbing the Jackery from the family room closet, and PLUGGING THOSE ESSENTIAL ITEMS IN!

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

No offense to anyone who likes this singer, whoever it may be, but her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. It's is just so ear-shatteringly whiny and twangy. "Serrrr-cheeeng."

That's Kitty Wells.  She was country music royalty, but her voice is definitely not for everyone.

• Love 5

I have another ad that I really dislike, for Cricket. The mother of a teen girl is wearing supertight clothes and shaking it for TikTok or whatever. The girl is embarrassed to death and she just shrugs and says "you have a cool mom." First off, what she is doing isn't cool, and showing her daughter that she should act like that isn't cool either. Another that I don't really dislike is the dancing Huggies baby, but they are showing it twenty times a day and that is getting annoying!

• Love 7

Oh! I hate with fire the ad for some health food fiber supplement that refuses to say the word "poop," but all the women say it and are like, "Voiceover guy, you can say the word!" 

I hate it because it insinuates that bodily functions are inappropriate. I googled "commercial about poop," and found it. Clearly people feel the same way I do, because Muse wrote an article about it! You can see the censored and non-censored versions.

• Love 3
On 7/29/2021 at 8:14 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

It's a shame Mr. Whipple died. I'd rather see him squeezing the Charmin on his deathbed than see those damn red or blue bears.

Funny you should say that… I was just thinking earlier this week that they should reboot the Mr. Whipple commercials. I mean, they’ve done the same with the Maytag Repairman. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I agree with you that using that language shouldn't be an issue, and yes bodily functions are a part of life.  But, there are far too many of those commercials, and they shouldn't run during the dinner hour.

I was puking up a storm over the weekend, sick as a dog.  Dizzy, could barely stand up, and all I got on every channel I turned to was food commercials which made me want to puke even more.  I just couldn't get away from those commercials.  It is funny that I didn't really notice all of those food commercials until I got sick.

I'm sorry you're ailing.  Although, I would rather puke than be dizzy.

Occasionally, I see those GOLO ads - "Why can't I lose weight?" and every time I see them, I'm eating something. Well, that might be an answer right there.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
On 8/3/2021 at 4:38 AM, Jaded said:

I just started watching shows on Start TV a couple months ago after signing up for a multi month YouTube TV deal. There's this commercial for Healthy Wager with a woman crying about reaching her goal weight which drives me up a wall now because of how many times I've seen it. I've been letting shows record on there and watching them an hour later or at a later time just so I don't have to see it and all the other predatory commercials directed at older people. 

I keep forgetting to post about this one.  OMG woman, bring it down a few dozen notches.  Good for her for losing weight and that it's improved her self image but seriously woman, you did not cure cancer (or even COVID).   She needs to pull her shot together.   I get this is supposed to be an "in the moment" documentary, but no way in hell would I let anyone see a video of me acting like--much less allow it to be used on national TV.    

• Love 2
13 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

In the Xfinity commercial where everyone is singing the Olympic theme, I find the little girl who is "conducting" them to be a little too intense and frightening!

I'd never seen that one before; it's cute.  The little girl just looks like a conductor to me - imitating what she's seen them do.

• Love 6
On 8/3/2021 at 2:35 PM, peacheslatour said:

Right? It seems like he's in every commercial right now. I'm afraid it's going to reach critical mass and then we'll all be screwed.

I admit that I laughed at the one where his friends abandoned him in the woods just because he told them about the General.

• Love 1
On 8/4/2021 at 4:08 PM, icemiser69 said:

I was puking up a storm over the weekend, sick as a dog.  Dizzy, could barely stand up, and all I got on every channel I turned to was food commercials which made me want to puke even more.  I just couldn't get away from those commercials.  It is funny that I didn't really notice all of those food commercials until I got sick.

The same thing happened to me recently.  I find food ads disgusting at the best of times - gross fast food, cheap pizzas, etc.  The last thing I want to see when I'm throwing up round the clock is Olive Garden's gloopy pasta.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Leeds said:

Allstate insurance with the woman in the car skipping rope with some little girls.  Not only is it unutterably stupid, it gives me motion sickness.

I saw that for the first time last night and noticed the disclaimer, "do not attempt."  Um, ok.  (Are people really that stupid they think they can skip rope in a car?)

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
On 8/3/2021 at 1:31 PM, dleighg said:

I keep seeing this one. It's for "Jackery" which is some sort of battery that lets you run your "essential items" in a power outage (like your dvd payer and your lamp, not inessential things like furnaces and refrigerators LOL). The thing that annoys me is the initial look of terror on mom's face, then she brings her children under her metaphorical wings, calming them, while heroic father springs to the rescue (as any red-blooded male would do), grabbing the Jackery from the family room closet, and PLUGGING THOSE ESSENTIAL ITEMS IN!

What gets me is it's still light outside.  There is sunlight through the blinds.  So the great horror is they can't finishing watching a movie, not Grandma is going to trip over the junk you left on the stairs and break a hip.  Not the power outage is from some kind of attack.  Nope.  They were in the middle of watching a movie and the power went out.  The horror!  How will the children survive?

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I am usually annoyed at the Shriner's Hospital commercials because I feel they're exploiting their patients. But I saw one this evening that had me flabbergasted. Alec is in College!!  (He never has learned to pronounce "adorable.") LOL.

I don't know if their ads exploit the kids, though I get your meaning. I think it is important to let people know what wonderful work they do, and it's hard to do that without showing the kids. It's the same thing, I think, as the often shown commercials for St Jude. Having had two kids in my family die from inoperable brain tumors, I know the importance of making people aware of the work they do to save others. I have seen Alec since he was a kid, and know that he is grown up now. There is another boy that used to appear with him. I don't know if he still does.

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, susannah said:

I don't know if their ads exploit the kids, though I get your meaning. I think it is important to let people know what wonderful work they do, and it's hard to do that without showing the kids. It's the same thing, I think, as the often shown commercials for St Jude. Having had two kids in my family die from inoperable brain tumors, I know the importance of making people aware of the work they do to save others. I have seen Alec since he was a kid, and know that he is grown up now. There is another boy that used to appear with him. I don't know if he still does.

Caleb? He's still doing the ads.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I am usually annoyed at the Shriner's Hospital commercials because I feel they're exploiting their patients. But I saw one this evening that had me flabbergasted. Alec is in College!!  (He never has learned to pronounce "adorable.") LOL.

Yeah, and now that ruthless little Caleb is all guns a’blazin’ for Alec’s job! It will be an epic battle, the likes of which we haven’t seen since “Becky 1 vs Becky 2”!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 14
16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I think both Alec and Cabel have the same speech impediment. They both have the same odd shaped ears. I'm no expert, but have to think it's related to their physical condition that causes their easily broken bones. Good for both of them and their families, and Shriner's for making a better life possible.

• Love 11
26 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I think both Alec and Cabel have the same speech impediment. They both have the same odd shaped ears. I'm no expert, but have to think it's related to their physical condition that causes their easily broken bones. Good for both of them and their families, and Shriner's for making a better life possible.

I know a kid with the same disease and he's got normal speech and ears. But then, he's ambulatory, so his isn't as severe as theirs.

• Love 3

I might be naive, but it seems like the kids like being in the commercials (and one girl looks quite old enough to decide not to). They look happy. I hope they are; while it's no one's fault (I assume) that they have these challenges, it's just unfair.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Not crazy about the unskippable ad for a sex toy I've been getting on YouTube lately...

Thankfully I don't have any young kids around...

Kind of begs the question of what show you're watching, or what you've been Googling . . . .  😆

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't even understand the purple.com commercial.  Why is an egg not breaking on a mattress a bad thing?  I would think that would mean it's not hard.

The point of the ad is that a raw egg doesn't break and therefore the mattress is more comfortable, not hard. The egg not breaking is a good thing. I think it's supposed to be body conforming, but I'm not sure. I like a very firm mattress. Soft mattresses make my back hurt.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Kind of begs the question of what show you're watching, or what you've been Googling . . . .  😆

I watch a lot of Colbert/Daily Show/Seth Meyers, some news/politics channels, some science/health channels like PBS Eons and Dr. Mike, and some music and goofy entertainment stuff like TwoSet Violin, Randy Rainbow, Charlotte Dobre, Andrew Cotter.... Haven't been googling sex toys.

Though I am currently watching a video called "What If You Mated with Neandertals?"

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I watch a lot of Colbert/Daily Show/Seth Meyers, some news/politics channels, some science/health channels like PBS Eons and Dr. Mike, and some music and goofy entertainment stuff like TwoSet Violin, Randy Rainbow, Charlotte Dobre, Andrew Cotter.... Haven't been googling sex toys.

Though I am currently watching a video called "What If You Mated with Neandertals?"

It's hard to imagine that Neandertals were much use at pleasuring their partners, so that may be the answer.

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

The point of the ad is that a raw egg doesn't break and therefore the mattress is more comfortable, not hard. The egg not breaking is a good thing. I think it's supposed to be body conforming, but I'm not sure. I like a very firm mattress. Soft mattresses make my back hurt.

Small Talk...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Guess I really misunderstood then because I could have sworn the egg nott breaking was bad.  this does make more sense.  

2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Chime commercial:  Why does that woman think it's a good idea to walk into the office and boast that she got paid two days earlier than everyone else?  Is she waiting for a bitch slap?

We can hope that she gets one! Then I hope all her coworkers brag two days before payday that they still have money, while she has blown all of her paycheck.

• LOL 16
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

IIRC, anyone who has ever had direct deposit would have gotten their money earlier than those that were handed a paycheck.  Is the obnoxious snot in that ad saying that she gets her money even faster than direct deposit?

She might have said that but I don't remember if she said it's faster than direct deposit, I just remember her looking smug and boasting that she got paid two days earlier. 

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

She might have said that but I don't remember if she said it's faster than direct deposit, I just remember her looking smug and boasting that she got paid two days earlier. 

Literally every bank in the free world has direct deposit. It's a stupid commercial.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

IIRC, anyone who has ever had direct deposit would have gotten their money earlier than those that were handed a paycheck.  Is the obnoxious snot in that ad saying that she gets her money even faster than direct deposit?

From Forbes: "Chime offers a program that accelerates your direct deposits, making them available up to two days early. Once you establish direct deposit into your Spending Account, you’re eligible and can choose to receive your payment up to two days early, as soon as your employer deposits it." (emphasis mine) I'm guessing Chime prioritizes those customers who have signed up for that program so their money is made available as soon as possible and not held until the actual payday. But whether you get it one or two days early clearly depends on when your company actually runs their payroll. (My direct deposit apparently goes through late on Thursday night, because occasionally I will be up late doing bills or something and will see it in my account. So I'm getting it earlier than someone getting a paper check but not significantly so.)

7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Literally every bank in the free world has direct deposit. It's a stupid commercial.

Also from the same page: "Chime is a financial technology company, not a bank. Banking services are provided by The Bancorp Bank or Stride Bank, N.A., Members FDIC."

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

Yeah, as near as I can tell my direct deposits go through the morning of the Friday I would have received my physical paycheck if I were still working in the office. So, maybe two or three hours earlier than I would have been able to deposit them myself on my lunch break. I don't think Chime could do much good for me; guess I won't be annoying my co-workers by bragging about getting paid earlier than they do.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I thought I was being punny

Whether or not you get the money early is dependent on the bank. I had direct deposit for years with no early access to funds before the bank was acquired by another company, then suddenly I got paid on Fridays if the 1st was on the weekend. Hallelujah. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, InDueTime said:

The Geico ad with the acronym/text speak office drives me up the wall.

That one bugs me because they refer to acronyms but the commercial mostly features initialisms, not acronyms.  Just say abbreviations, Geico.

• Love 6