Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I genuinely believe whatever ad-man came up with this commercial was thinking something along the lines of "she's a soccer player! So she kicks stuff! That's the ad! Kicking!" and for some reason Subway was like "yes, we understand and approve of this line of thinking. The Youths, they will be won over by this."

• LOL 13

The ad for Ball recyclable aluminum party cups I keep getting on youtube: "Great parties start by recycling the new Ball aluminum cup..."

Why would you start a party by recycling the cups? Shouldn't you be recycling them after you use them? Or is your party so bad it can't be called great until it's over?

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

The sandwiches are gross.

They have the problem most of the deli chains have, the bread is spongy.  Jersey Mike's rosemary parm bread is edible and Potbelly does a good job toasting theirs.  I like my bread crusty, just like me.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

They have the problem most of the deli chains have, the bread is spongy.  Jersey Mike's rosemary parm bread is edible and Potbelly does a good job toasting theirs.  I like my bread crusty, just like me.

Same.

• Love 3

I'm sure this has been discussed but the General Insurance ads are even worse than Liberty Mutual (which are really bad), as demonstrated by the fact that their current ad campaign is about how bad all their previous ad campaigns have been. What other advertiser has ever done that?

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I'm sure this has been discussed but the General Insurance ads are even worse than Liberty Mutual (which are really bad), as demonstrated by the fact that their current ad campaign is about how bad all their previous ad campaigns have been. What other advertiser has ever done that?

Didn't Pizza Hut or  Dominoes once have a commercial about how terrible their pizza was but now it was "new and improved"?

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Didn't Pizza Hut or  Dominoes once have a commercial about how terrible their pizza was but now it was "new and improved"?

Not that either of their pizzas are "improved."  

• Love 3

When I watch TV, I choose a certain type of show to watch.  I can’t choose what commercials are going to pop up during breaks.  I don’t want to see - graphic pooping commercials, Dr Pimple Popper commercials, people shaving their pubes, overly specific violence (previews of The Purge).  I know where to find those type of things if I want to watch. I hate that a line has been crossed and I’m now being terrorized with ads of things I would NEVER EVER choose to watch.

I know I’ve crossed over to the demographic that doesn’t matter, but I’ll take a boring, vanilla ad any day over some of the crap I see on TV.

• Love 17
(edited)

Is there no end to the crap they put on TV?  I'm seeing a new commercial for women's probiotics called "Garden of Life."  It shows women sitting on the toilet (Eww!) and says it will help them "Number 2."   You can't make this shit up.

Edited by AnnA
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, AnnA said:

Is there no end to the crap they put on TV?  I'm seeing a new commercial for women's probiotics called "Garden of Life."  It shows women sitting on the toilet (Eww!) and says it will help them "Number 2."   You can't make this shit up.

Yeah I commented on that too, it's the lowest of the low as far as standards go. The red bears are really pushing it too.

• Love 10

I hate hate hate the Weather Tech commercial where the guy's taking his car into the dealership and the value miraculously goes up because he has floor mats.

There's a lot more to trade-in value than the carpets.  And Weather Tech mats are ridiculously expensive.  Got the same exact mats at Quadratec for almost half price.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, AnnA said:

Puns intended?

• LOL 14
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 7/16/2021 at 11:30 AM, mmecorday said:

"Don't eat that burrito! Eat a tuna sandwich that contains no actual tuna!"

As I understand it, that's not exactly true b/c canned tuna, which is cooked, is hard to perform DNA tests on because the cooking process destroys it or makes it untestable or something.

On 7/16/2021 at 12:35 PM, peacheslatour said:

"And the bread has so much sugar it can't be legally be called bread in Ireland!"

I always wondered about that claim because I think other countries don't put as much sugar in their dough as in America. I distinctly remember liking the bread in Germany better and noticing it was much sweeter when I returned.

On 7/16/2021 at 12:57 PM, icemiser69 said:

Doesn't that soccer player realize that in that commercial she comes off as a real jerk?

I doubt it, since she's a jerk in real life.

Edited by Gharlane
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, AnnA said:

I'm seeing a new commercial for women's probiotics called "Garden of Life."  It shows women sitting on the toilet (Eww!) and says it will help them "Number 2." 

I just saw that one.  It's a coy version of the one I'm used to (the "It's 2021, I think everyone knows that women poop" one previously discussed here), that keeps cutting away as the women are about to say "poop" and replaces it with the juvenile "number two" in the end. 

I prefer the just say it; probiotics help you poop version, especially because it's women addressing a male narrator (and I love their line delivery, particularly the "Are you poopsplaining me right now/I'm not going to say pooppowerment" actor's), so I went looking, and found this article:

The 60-second video was edited into two :30s, a :15, and a pair of :06s along with a radio script and static and GIF assets, but a funny theme happened on the way to the cable station: Several rejected the spot because of the language—and one word in particular. That's right, even though the F word is frequently allowed on TV, a woman saying "poop" in a commercial was considered obscene. 

So, Humanaut edited a second version of the ad for these stations that still retained the humor of the original. In version 2, the women are cut off right before they utter the word "poop," though it's clear to the audience that's what they are about to say.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

I doubt it, since she's a jerk in real life.

I've never heard anything about Megan Rapinoe being a jerk, but I don't know a lot about her.  I do know she's a great player and gave a great speech accepting Glamour's Woman of the Year award a couple of years ago, but I think it's an annoying commercial.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, AnnA said:

You can't make that shit up, but you can make that shit better with their probiotics! LOL

• LOL 10

Pluto TV now has a Julia Child channel with incessant commercials for it. They keep showing all this food she prepared and her saying, "It's a feast for the eyes!" ...and the food is the most disgusting conglomeration of stuff you'd ever NOT want to see, much less eat.

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

and the food is the most disgusting conglomeration of stuff you'd ever NOT want to see, much less eat.

Really? I've never seen Julia Child cook anything I wouldn't want to eat. Sounds like a limited repertoire. She only did so many episodes of The French Chef, and on that she made classic French dishes. When she got older, she did the shows out of her own kitchen with visiting chefs. She had such a great sense of humor. What a treasure.

• Love 17
15 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Really? I've never seen Julia Child cook anything I wouldn't want to eat. Sounds like a limited repertoire. She only did so many episodes of The French Chef, and on that she made classic French dishes. When she got older, she did the shows out of her own kitchen with visiting chefs. She had such a great sense of humor. What a treasure.

Yes, she was fantastic. She brought French cooking to the American housewife and made home cooking so much better for everyone. 

• Love 10
On 7/16/2021 at 12:57 PM, icemiser69 said:

Doesn't that soccer player realize that in that commercial she comes off as a real jerk?

She doesn't need to act.  I've seen her be a bigger bitch in interviews, just being herself.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Perhaps it's the quality of the film (it looks colorized - badly) but that stuff looks gross.

• Love 2
On 3/21/2021 at 8:57 PM, Penncentralcp38 said:

Folgers ads, the singer is way too loud screaming her fool head off - reject from Glee??

When she sings the line, hold that camera up high, I literally wince. Every time.  Whoever that singer is has the harshest voice ever.   Awful.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

When she sings the line, hold that camera up high, I literally wince. Every time.  Whoever that singer is has the harshest voice ever.   Awful.

It's awful. Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. 

• Love 4

I finally saw a Lume commercial today.  It must have been a shortened version because it wasn't gross or offensive.  It merely called Lume the "whole body deodorant."   I was channel surfing and landed on COZI watching Third Rock from the Sun.  I forgot how funny that show was (and still is).   

• Love 2
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

She had such a great sense of humor.

I sat near her in two restaurants - both times well after her show was over - and eavesdropped as much as I could.  She was a hoot!

• Love 6
On 7/17/2021 at 3:38 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

Not that either of their pizzas are "improved." 

I'll give Dominos credit, their pizza used to be like ketchup-splattered cardboard when I was a young man, but has been pretty decent for national chain pizza over the past decade. I appreciated the truth-in-advertising philosophy that acknowledged their past faults. The return of the Noid, not so much.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I'll give Dominos credit, their pizza used to be like ketchup-splattered cardboard when I was a young man, but has been pretty decent for national chain pizza over the past decade. I appreciated the truth-in-advertising philosophy that acknowledged their past faults. The return of the Noid, not so much.

Best pizza chain, IMO, is Jet's Detroit-style pizzas.  Being from Chicago thin crust pizzas just don't make it.

• Useful 1
On 7/15/2021 at 7:37 PM, Deskisamess said:

It's probably been mentioned, but the Pronamel commercial with the female dentist who can't pronounce "enamel." She says "namel" like " camel. Several times.

What annoys me is the way she speaks-as if she barely opens her mouth 

I have mad respect for guys getting down on the dance floor, but the one in the Voltaren commercial’s moves rank up there with Elaine’s ‘little kicks’ from Seinfeld

On 7/16/2021 at 5:28 AM, Gharlane said:

Dammit, that bitch is back in a new set of Subway commercials! 

My thoughts exactly. Take that smug, pink-haired doosh-wad off my tv!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, susannah said:

I think the ad featuring John Goodman's head on someone's finger, squashing up against slot machines and glass is one of the dumbest ones I have seen, and creepy also!!

Agreed. It's as bad as the talking toes, though maybe slightly less disgusting just because for whatever reason, toes are inherently more gross than fingers.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, TheWalkinDude said:

Burger King just ensured I will not try their Bacon King burger with a commercial that has the narrator whispering at me.

Same for me, but with Carl's Jr./Hardee's. Their "sexy whispering" commercials turned me off from getting whatever the hell they're coming up with next.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, TheWalkinDude said:

Burger King just ensured I will not try their Bacon King burger with a commercial that has the narrator whispering at me.

I haven't seen it and I don't eat at Burger King anyway but I'd much rather be whispered to than yelled at.

• Love 5

So I guess I can have nothing in your cupboards and fridge but pasta, lettuce, pickles and bread, yet a jar of Hellman's Mayo is gonna 'turn nuthin' into sumthin' .  Who knew all I needed was a plop of mayo to turn ho-hum ingredients into haute cuisine!

• LOL 14
3 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Those of us who grew up on 70s cookbook recipes are just thankful if the mayonnaise isn't the main ingredient by weight.

I have seen those cook books and that is some scary stuff!! Just like tomato aspic🤢

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, ctlady said:

So I guess I can have nothing in your cupboards and fridge but pasta, lettuce, pickles and bread, yet a jar of Hellman's Mayo is gonna 'turn nuthin' into sumthin' .  Who knew all I needed was a plop of mayo to turn ho-hum ingredients into haute cuisine!

What you've never heard of pasta, lettuce, pickle Blob Of Slime? It's famous!

• LOL 7
(edited)

On 7/16/2021 at 8:30 AM, mmecorday said:

"Don't eat that burrito! Eat a tuna sandwich that contains no actual tuna!"

What?  I've never seen this ad, but is there any kind of explanation?

On 7/18/2021 at 10:11 AM, Crashcourse said:

That Kraft Mac and Cheese commercial where the kid is screaming "I wanna bucket of chicken!"  Would it be considered child abuse if I wanted to shove some broccoli down her annoying little throat?

I'd rather shove something toxic down the throats of people who think bribing children with fake food is acceptable.

(Don't get me wrong, I hate obnoxious children in commercials, TV shows, films, whatever.)

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, dleighg said:

The "Hold my pouch" ad for Capri Sun annoys the heck out of me. First of all, bouncing off the phrase "Hold my beer" for a kids' product is problematic. Second, Capri Sun is basically colored sugar water with a bit of fruit juice, so I don't get what that has to do with "kids saving the world." Third, I hate the word "pouch."

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Owll/capri-sun-bully

I get your point, but at least the kid isn't having a real beer! I like the ads because the girl goes over and does something really nice. To me, that is the message, not what juice product the girl was drinking.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I'd rather shove something toxic down the throats of people who think bribing children with fake food is acceptable.

(Don't get me wrong, I hate obnoxious children in commercials, TV shows, films, whatever.)

I loathe obnoxious children also. I can't stand the mother running after her young kid, begging her to eat, or the two kids at the table refusing to eat and the brat girl says "fine, we'll sleep here," and the one where the redheaded girl is pushing her plate away, refusing to eat until she is bribed with French fries. Not a good parent in the bunch, and I bet the idiots writing the ads are the same kind of nonparents.

• Love 15
48 minutes ago, Leeds said:

It's a reference to the recent headlines that Subway's tuna supposedly isn't tuna. Though the testing in question is...questionable.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/subway-tuna-dna-website

Subway's tuna sandwich has had about as tough of a year as a sandwich can have. In January, a class-action lawsuit was filed alleging that Subway's tuna doesn't actually contain any tuna at all. Of course, lawsuits can be filed without being true, but in a world where Subway has become an easy punching bag, the bold claim received plenty of press.

Then, last month, things got worse: Hoping to get to the bottom of the viral story, the New York Times sent Subway's tuna to a lab for independent testing. "No amplifiable tuna DNA was present in the sample," the results came back. "Therefore, we cannot identify the species." The lab offered multiple reasons why the tests may have failed — explaining that things like processing or cooking could disrupt the results — but once again, the headlines didn't break Subway's way, suggesting that further evidence supports the "not tuna" theory.

The Lay's Poppables ad with what's-her-name from Blackish. Stoppp.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9