Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

32 minutes ago, ctlady said:

An ad who has to use a star to sell their product I take with a grain of salt.  Sorry, but I don't see Serena, Steph or Tom actually frequenting Subway - just like I don't believe Eva Longoria uses hair color from a box or that JLo uses L'Oreal skin care (especially not after seeing an article many years ago that she slathers her entire body with a $300 cream) - not to mention she has her OWN skin care line

Like not believing that Jaclyn Smith really wore clothes from KMart...

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
On 7/25/2021 at 5:19 PM, andromeda331 said:

I wish my dad liked Toblerones that would be fun to buy him for his birthday or Christmas. He has a huge sweet tooth. I did get him that huge Hershey bar they sell at Christmas. He loved it. It took him six months to eat.

Blommer Chocolate in Chicago used to sell a 10 pound chocolate bar. I lived near the Ferrara-Pan candy co.  When I was young they had a fire and the gave away all the candy they had in storage (it was shortly after they opened), it was just Atomic Fireballs.  I had two crates of them, one of the small size in boxes and one of loose jawbreakers.  It took years to eat them all. I can't even look at an Atomic Fireball today.  (Cheapskates in town tried to give them away for Halloween for years, we'd just walk away.)

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 7/16/2021 at 12:33 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Oh my god, I think I posted about her a while back. I thought she was gone for good until just this week. "The naaahmel." Also, she sounds like she popped a few Valium before the commercial. 

It’s going to be her “go-tuh” toothpaste. 🙄 

• Love 1

Back to Dr. Rick for a minute.  I can’t speak for all flying at the minute, but if you fly to Iceland, you will have a paper boarding pass.  There is currently no early check-in, no self-service kiosks, no electronic ticketing.  You have to go to the check-in desk, show all your COVID documents and entry paperwork and receive a paper boarding pass.  

And you have to pay extra for any food on board the plane, so I absolutely took my own snacks.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Back to Dr. Rick for a minute.  I can’t speak for all flying at the minute, but if you fly to Iceland, you will have a paper boarding pass.  There is currently no early check-in, no self-service kiosks, no electronic ticketing.  You have to go to the check-in desk, show all your COVID documents and entry paperwork and receive a paper boarding pass.  

And you have to pay extra for any food on board the plane, so I absolutely took my own snacks.

Did you go see the volcano?

On 7/27/2021 at 8:29 AM, BookWitch said:

That's enough Darren

I don't get this ad. I guess it's some actors known for this bit?

When you're not expecting it, the woman yelling scares you!

Different strokes- I find this hilarious, especially when Darren's voice changes from the bellowing echo-chamber to a meek little 'Sorry' after he's corrected.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Zahdii said:

Did you go see the volcano?

We tried.  Oh, how we tried.  But 30-40mph winds, plus sleet, plus a driving downpour of rain prevented us from getting close enough to see the bubbling lava.  Even if we had been able to make the entire trek out, we wouldn't have been able to see it because the clouds/fog were so thick and low.  So we only got to see the steaming lava.  We could hear it popping and crackling, and it was hot not too far from the leading edge, so it was still a pretty great experience.  I looked at the live cam today, and it's a beautiful mostly sunny day.  Of course.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

We tried.  Oh, how we tried.  But 30-40mph winds, plus sleet, plus a driving downpour of rain prevented us from getting close enough to see the bubbling lava.  Even if we had been able to make the entire trek out, we wouldn't have been able to see it because the clouds/fog were so thick and low.  So we only got to see the steaming lava.  We could hear it popping and crackling, and it was hot not too far from the leading edge, so it was still a pretty great experience.  I looked at the live cam today, and it's a beautiful mostly sunny day.  Of course.

One of the best experiences of my life was hiking out across the lava field below Kilauea to where you could see the living red lava flowing below your feet. (Small holes popped here and there allowing one to see through.) It was inexpressibly beautiful and thrilling. 

• Love 7
On 7/23/2021 at 6:56 PM, madmax said:

Geico has recycled old commercials that I hated the first time around:

Gekko on a remote control boat

Gekko screaming about his flat tire

UGH!

If they want to bring back a commercial, bring back the woodchucks!

Did Geico have the pigs that went weeee or is that another insurance? lol

• Love 6

The commercial where the woman says, 'Did you know that x% of clothing is synthetic?'  Then she starts listing them, starting with her yoga pants.  Is there anyone - anyone - who thought yoga pants were from natural fibres??

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
(edited)

There's an ad ad for the Peacock streaming network. It shows a young woman (late teens, early twenties) who is watching TV. The narrator tells us she is watching Yellowstone and "She is in love." Cut to a shot of TV where Kevin Costner is on the screen.

Which is kind of creepy given that he is forty something years older than she is.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 9

There's a recent commercial for Delta airlines that talks about how we've been facing "a virus we can't even see." As opposed to viruses we CAN see?😡 

"Thank you for coming to our focus group.  Now get out." 

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I stopped watching Columbo on Sunday Night on MeTV, because the dreaded elephant commercial put in an appearance.  That commercial is popping up more and more, and I find myself changing channels and not returning to the programs I had been watching.

I get up & go pee. Yes, every commercial break. LOL

• LOL 4
On 7/25/2021 at 12:21 AM, Bastet said:

They should have made her more exaggerated, like when people smuggled in a whole smorgasbord to the cinema before theatres got strict about outside food and drink.

My friend manages a movie theatre - he says it's absolutely not forbidden to bring your own snacks. However, this is a misconception they don't want to correct, as theatres make the bulk of their profits through snacks.

On 7/28/2021 at 8:06 PM, ams1001 said:

Was just treated to the Charmin Bear Kid rubbing his "itchy" not-quite-clean butt on his chair at the kitchen table. This does not make me want to buy their product.

I'm sorry, but I simply cannot fathom what marketing team came up with the Charmin Bear ads...and continued to run with them for years. Just no, please. I would be willing to purchase Charmin exclusively for the rest of my life if they only promised I'd never have to see one of these ads again. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
19 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

I'm sorry, but I simply cannot fathom what marketing team came up with the Charmin Bear ads...and continued to run with them for years. Just no, please. I would be willing to purchase Charmin exclusively for the rest of my life if they only promised I'd never have to see one of these ads again. 

It's a shame Mr. Whipple died. I'd rather see him squeezing the Charmin on his deathbed than see those damn red or blue bears.

• Love 18
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It's a shame Mr. Whipple died. I'd rather see him squeezing the Charmin on his deathbed than see those damn red or blue bears.

I wish he would squeeze the life out of the brainless cretins who thought up these ads, and keep running them, being more and more disgusting.

8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I stopped watching Columbo on Sunday Night on MeTV, because the dreaded elephant commercial put in an appearance.  That commercial is popping up more and more, and I find myself changing channels and not returning to the programs I had been watching.

Yep, as soon as I see that baby elephant, off it goes.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

My friend manages a movie theatre - he says it's absolutely not forbidden to bring your own snacks. However, this is a misconception they don't want to correct, as theatres make the bulk of their profits through snacks.

We have a historic movie theater in Baltimore, it had been family owned for a zillion years, the son took over operations and such, he gave a talk before a movie premiere and mentioned about people bringing in their own food, specifically the person that managed to pick thru a dozen steamed crabs during a movie and left the remains neatly in a paper bag...that takes guts!

• LOL 6
8 hours ago, susannah said:

I wish he would squeeze the life out of the brainless cretins who thought up these ads, and keep running them, being more and more disgusting.

This.  Yes, of course, everybody poops and everybody knows 'do bears shit in the woods?' but that doesn't mean I need to see bear families who apparently obsess about whether Junior pooped, wiped his ass, or used too much toilet paper.

3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

specifically the person that managed to pick thru a dozen steamed crabs during a movie and left the remains neatly in a paper bag...that takes guts!

Yup.  Gross.  I don't think the movie theatres in Canada, at least where I live, allow outside food or drinks and I understand their concern, but when I have to pay almost as much for one cup of Diet Coke as I would pay for a case of 18 cans at the grocery store, it's insulting to my intelligence.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

Yup.  Gross.  I don't think the movie theatres in Canada, at least where I live, allow outside food or drinks and I understand their concern, but when I have to pay almost as much for one cup of Diet Coke as I would pay for a case of 18 cans at the grocery store, it's insulting to my intelligence.

I think I read somewhere once that movie theaters don't make any money showing the movies. It's all from the concessions, which is why they're so expensive.  I only go to the movies once or twice a year, so I make a thing of it and go all in on popcorn and soda.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

I think I read somewhere once that movie theaters don't make any money showing the movies

I have read that as well, though I have a hard time believing at $15/person or whatever it is for a movie these days they can't make money (obviously this is a pre-covid situation.)  Either way - Coke syrup and carbonated water are almost free.  I understand charging a little more to make money, but $5 for a drink or $3 for a chocolate bar I could buy at Dollarama for $0.82 is just asking me to bring my own.  I don't really care for movie popcorn but will go in on one if my companion wants to share and that is egregiously priced enough that I don't feel at all bad that I brought my own drink and candy in my purse. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

I will never buy Charmin as long as they run these disgusting commercials.  I don't understand how that is supposed to be effective advertising.

• Love 6
(edited)
6 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

We have a historic movie theater in Baltimore, it had been family owned for a zillion years, the son took over operations and such, he gave a talk before a movie premiere and mentioned about people bringing in their own food, specifically the person that managed to pick thru a dozen steamed crabs during a movie and left the remains neatly in a paper bag...that takes guts!

OMG! Only in Maryland!

eta: at least he put the shells in a bag, instead of dropping them on the floor

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
(edited)

5 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Years ago my partner tripped inside a local cinema because the steps weren't lit.  I went to get ice from the concession for his ankle and they wouldn't give it to me without paying for it.  Apparently management counted the cups before and after shift to make sure the till receipts tallied up.

We got a settlement check.

(Just to clarify, we didn't get any lawyers involved, just filled in the company's incident report.)

Edited by Leeds
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Years ago my partner tripped inside a local cinema because the steps weren't lit.  I went to get ice from the concession for his ankle and they wouldn't give it to me without paying for it.  Apparently management counted the cups before and after shift to make sure the till receipts tallied up.

We got a settlement check.

Oh, how much cheaper it would have been just to give you the ice.  Probably an 18 year old manager who couldn't think his way out of the problem.  I used to work in fast food and the cups were definitely counted, which is why we could drink the pop but had to use our own mugs.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

The Senator?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

Oh, how much cheaper it would have been just to give you the ice.  Probably an 18 year old manager who couldn't think his way out of the problem.  I used to work in fast food and the cups were definitely counted, which is why we could drink the pop but had to use our own mugs.

They don't give 18 year old managers the autonomy to make decisions on things like that. Typical corporate-think. Save a nickel, lose a dollar.

2 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I have read that as well, though I have a hard time believing at $15/person or whatever it is for a movie these days they can't make money (obviously this is a pre-covid situation.)  Either way - Coke syrup and carbonated water are almost free.  I understand charging a little more to make money, but $5 for a drink or $3 for a chocolate bar I could buy at Dollarama for $0.82 is just asking me to bring my own.  I don't really care for movie popcorn but will go in on one if my companion wants to share and that is egregiously priced enough that I don't feel at all bad that I brought my own drink and candy in my purse. 

I've never seen the appeal of eating at the movies. I go to a movie to immerse myself in another world. If I want to eat, I go to a restaurant or eat at home.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Most of the money from ticket sales goes to the distributor, not the theater.

• Love 8

I hate the Jimmy Johns commercial with Brad Garrett. I don't like the actor at the best of times, but I absolutely despise him in these. Plus, the whole campaign is dumb. Watching some dickhead shout at people in unchecked rage is not an inducement to buy your product.

• Love 12
21 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I hate the Jimmy Johns commercial with Brad Garrett. I don't like the actor at the best of times, but I absolutely despise him in these. Plus, the whole campaign is dumb. Watching some dickhead shout at people in unchecked rage is not an inducement to buy your product.

They are trying to distract from their terrible sandwiches.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 7/30/2021 at 11:39 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Oh my gosh! I wondered why he seemed familiar! 

I have to admit that hearing him call it "Jimmy's John's" amuses me.

• Love 1
On 7/24/2021 at 5:32 PM, peacheslatour said:

I wouldn't use a Kardashian affiliated product to clean my toilet.

Neither would most toilets, I'm guessing. 

I'd watch Eddie Jackson boil hotdogs.

I'd watch Eddie Jackson boil water.

Edited by DollEyes
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

I'm so tired of the Mikayla Maroney flips up onto the house to get the frisbee ad.  I think it's GEICO?  I don't think I've noticed this ad outside of the Olympics, but I am hoping it goes away after the Olympics.  I just don't understand the fascination with her and her smirk.  She was inadvertently caught on camera looking like a bratty sore loser.  Instead of getting called out on her unsportsmanlike conduct, she gets praised for it and has the President of the US asking her to smirk for him.

And here she is, NINE YEARS LATER, still milking this bit of fame over this stupid smirk.  Where are all of the Gabby Douglass commercials?  You know, the All Around Gold Medalist from the same year?

• Love 8
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

I'm so tired of the Mikayla Maroney flips up onto the house to get the frisbee ad.  I think it's GEICO?  I don't think I've noticed this ad outside of the Olympics, but I am hoping it goes away after the Olympics.  I just don't understand the fascination with her and her smirk.  She was inadvertently caught on camera looking like a bratty sore loser.  Instead of getting called out on her unsportsmanlike conduct, she gets praised for it and has the President of the US asking her to smirk for him.

And here she is, NINE YEARS LATER, still milking this bit of fame over this stupid smirk.  Where are all of the Gabby Douglass commercials?  You know, the All Around Gold Medalist from the same year?

I almost commented about that ad the other night. I don't remember why she made that face in the moment, but I'm so over her flipping to the roof. And those guys can get their own dang frisbee. (And yes, it's Geico.)

• Love 5

Coffee Mate (?) ad - “I’ve had a cup or two….hundred?”  Two hundred cups of coffee is supposed to make him an expert?  That’s about two months of cups of coffee for me, maybe less. Don’t see how that makes anyone an expert,completely don’t get it. Two hundred cups, you’re a total newbie. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
10 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

It is interesting, it is about the only commercial right now that I do like.

The dipshit intentionally threw the Frisbee back onto the roof and expected her to flip herself back on to the roof to get it.

That commercial was very relatable, probably why I like it.  As a kid I have had all sorts of toys end up on my parents roof.  Frisbees, water-rockets, badminton birdies.  If I could throw it in the air, chances are it landed on my parent's roof.

If the toys didn't land on the roof, they landed in an evergreen tree.

I don't actually hate the commercial, I've just seen it too many times (they're running it on youtube a lot, too). 

For all I know, there is still a volleyball in my parents' neighbor's tree from that day we played kickball and someone kicked it a little too hard (probably the neighbor's son; their kids all played soccer).

• LOL 4