Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

That Linzess wording makes me crazy too—just say “not for anyone younger than 18 years” or something. But, now that I work in that industry, I can tell you that it was probably just an oversight in the prescribing info; they probably meant to delete the first part and make a more inclusive, succinct sentence. But once it’s approved by the powers that be, it’s a hassle to update. So as long as it’s not egregiously wrong, it will likely stay as is for a while.

Isn't it more of an absolutely, positvely 100% don't give to children under 6, and try not to give to kids between 6 and 18, but it's not as dangerous for them and might possibly be OK, but we're covering our butt legally?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I think (?) both sentences say not to give it to them -- the children under 6 and then anyone from 6 to less than 18. 

As for Hungry Root, the food is really good. Some you can get from grocery stores though. And definitely they should address the plastic issue. But it’s good and reasonably priced too, especially for a small household with not a lot of vegan stuff locally available. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I think (?) both sentences say not to give it to them -- the children under 6 and then anyone from 6 to less than 18. 

"LINZESS is contraindicated in patients less than 6 years of age. Avoid use of LINZESS in patients 6 years to less than 18 years of age"

It basically means there's no medical reason to give Linzess to anyone under 6, so absolutely don't, whereas there might be a medical situation where Linzess could possibly be the correct prescription for someone between 6 and 18, but it's not the usual medicine of choice so avoid it.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
On 9/2/2021 at 8:44 AM, Prevailing Wind said:
On 9/2/2021 at 8:44 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Car Shield: Ice-T's friend has this "old SUV" and it's manufacturers' warranty is about to expire...

How old can it be if it still has a makers' warranty?  I recall once buying an extended warranty for one of my Hondas (waste of money) and it was only 8 years.  These days, 8 years isn't all that old of a car, is it?

I have wondered about that since the first time I saw it!  How can an “old” SUV still have a warranty?   Makes no sense!

• Love 2

Maybe. I suppose they could try, but there's no safety or effectiveness info based on clinical trials for it (which doesn't mean much to people lately, apparently). But it seems to be just a stupidly worded thing that means it's for people 18 and older. Its PI also now specifically mentions anyone less than 2 years.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

Avocado mattress- they go on and on boasting that they've won awards for most eco-conscious something something, but not one word about what makes the mattress worth my dollars as a -oh, I dunno- thing to SLEEP ON.

Edited by sempervivum
spelling
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

I feel like "alternative" mattresses -- and sheets -- have become the biggest thing over the last couple of years! There's one brand called "Sheex" and, for whatever reason, that name grosses me out. Also, I have seen more than one of these products' commercials use the term "ridiculously soft."

• Love 4

That is an odd wording for linzess in kids so I had to look it up.  

Linzess is a guanine cyclase c agonist.  In mice experiments a single dose of linzess in young mice could cause death by dehydration.  Kids under the age of 6 have increased guanine cyclase c so presumably they are at a higher risk for dehydration and adverse events so it's contraindicated in them. From 6-18 it's just not been studied so no indication for use and the potential for dehydration. 

Im surprised though it's not just contraindicated under the age of 18 with that potential adverse event and reasoning. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I feel like "alternative" mattresses -- and sheets -- have become the biggest thing over the last couple of years! There's one brand called "Sheex" and, for whatever reason, that name grosses me out. Also, I have seen more than one of these products' commercials use the term "ridiculously soft."

That and stretchy sheets. Stretchy sheets are the kind that can strangle you, if you ask me.

• LOL 13
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Maybe. I suppose they could try, but there's no safety or effectiveness info based on clinical trials for it (which doesn't mean much to people lately, apparently). But it seems to be just a stupidly worded thing that means it's for people 18 and older. Its PI also now specifically mentions anyone less than 2 years.

Taking to small talk

Oh, I don't really care about it, other than the wording is just so annoying; just offering the 2 cents of a person who has to read this shit all day for a paycheck. It's not like they get poets to write it, haha!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

The name sheexes me out too.  They need a new advertising agency.

• Love 3

Ok, I'm all for ethnic pride, but this annoys the crap out of me.

Three times they say "Guy FIERI" in a way that just grates on me. Guess he feels it's more of a schtick to now pronounce his last name this way.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, seasons said:

Ok, I'm all for ethnic pride, but this annoys the crap out of me.

Three times they say "Guy FIERI" in a way that just grates on me. Guess he feels it's more of a schtick to now pronounce his last name this way.

"Guy Fiedddie"

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, seasons said:

Guess he feels it's more of a schtick to now pronounce his last name this way.

There's nothing new about it; that's how he's always pronounced his last name (well, ever since he changed it back to the original family name; like so many, his grandfather had his name Anglicized when he came here, from Fieri to Ferry).  The letter R is pronounced differently in Italian than English, and sounds like a T or D to us. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I hate the trend nowadays of good music being used on crappy commercials.  An example is Hugh Masekela's "Grazing in the Grass" song being wasted in that Allstate commercial with the lady driving and those stupid people playing instruments.  I still have that song and next time I play it, I'll try to block that commercial out of my mind. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Crashcourse said:

I hate the trend nowadays of good music being used on crappy commercials.  An example is Hugh Masekela's "Grazing in the Grass" song being wasted in that Allstate commercial with the lady driving and those stupid people playing instruments.  I still have that song and next time I play it, I'll try to block that commercial out of my mind. 

Agreed. They're using Driver's Seat in an Amazon Prime commercial. That song was so far ahead of it's time.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

"Guy Fiedddie"

This one grates on me. Or maybe it’s him. I understand that’s how he pronounces his name but it feels like he and his pronunciation of his name take over the ad. 

A new one that annoys a bit is for AmEx. A business owner receives an urgent email asking if his construction company is “in” for an ostensibly large and out of town project (there’s a national generic version but the local version has him going to San Diego from Seattle). No bid, no scoping out the project, he just starts spending money based on an email that looks like spam. A similarly themed one, with a startup owner needing to ramp up business when an influencer unexpectedly promotes her company is pretty cool, though, and the actress who plays the business owner is great. 

• Love 4

OK I have been annoyed by the Thinx panties for period/leakage issues.  I paid close attention to the ad last night and it said the panty holds 8 tsp of liquid, that is just about bit over an ounce of liquid. In my days of menstruating I went through 2-3 super plus tampons a day. Thankfully after a hysterectomy those days are long gone! I would have to change these panties several times a day to keep up. No thanks for the high price, I'd keep the tampons and pads! 

Maybe for small bladder issues these would be OK, but I'm not interested in putting pee soaked underwear in my washing machine... Sorry no sale here

• Love 8
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Agreed. They're using Driver's Seat in an Amazon Prime commercial. That song was so far ahead of it's time.

The one by Sniff and the Tears?

(I can’t remember what I had for dinner last night, but the name of a one-hit wonder act from 1979?  I’m on it.)

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, smittykins said:

The one by Sniff and the Tears?

(I can’t remember what I had for dinner last night, but the name of a one-hit wonder act from 1979?  I’m on it.)

Yep. Lol, Sniff N The Tears, what a name!. I had never seen the video before so I watched for shits and giggles. I thought, "Huh, how typically nineties." I had no idea it was from 1979. Shit, I was barely out of high school then and music videos were not really a thing yet.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

OK I have been annoyed by the Thinx panties for period/leakage issues.  I paid close attention to the ad last night and it said the panty holds 8 tsp of liquid, that is just about bit over an ounce of liquid. In my days of menstruating I went through 2-3 super plus tampons a day. Thankfully after a hysterectomy those days are long gone! I would have to change these panties several times a day to keep up. No thanks for the high price, I'd keep the tampons and pads! 

I, too, would never be able to practically use those for my only period protection due to my flow, but based on the recommendation of several posters here, I bought a couple for overnights on the first two heavy days - trying them as my extra layer of "crap, slept through a tampon change" protection instead of my reusable pads.  I'm quite happy; now the "oops, didn't wake up in time" layer is a nice thin absorbent panty instead of a bulky pad.  Much more comfortable; thumbs up.

I think with the wide variety of menstrual flows, and circumstances - in terms of being able to easily change out the panties when needed - among women, these can, while certainly not serving everyone, be useful to a number of women looking to cut down on the disposable, one-use aspects of period care, and in a more comfortable way than some other reusable options.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
On 10/12/2020 at 11:11 PM, BK1978 said:

I despise the way she says the word comfortable.  I have never heard anyone pronounce it that way.

I’ve read this section, but haven’t kept up, I’m about 5 pages behind. Know this ad-didn’t particularly think it had merit. Didn’t understand why she felt obligated to search for a return compliment, but anyway, how did she pronounce it? With 3 syllables or 4? I’ve heard it both ways. “Comf.tuh.ble” or “com.for.tuh.ble”?

• Love 2

Just wanted to throw out there, If I have to hear the ukulele “poop” song, or the Applebee’s “livin’ rich” song again, I’m seriously going to chuck something at the TV!  I noticed the “poop” jingle was shortened pretty quickly-and, yeah, if you’re watching, all the neighbors are dancing, but seriously, has anyone gotten a “rich” meal at Applebee’s????

• LOL 9
On 8/16/2021 at 4:52 PM, Annber03 said:

The thing that gets me about the ones with Walker is how awkwardly the script shoehorns in his "Dy-no-MITE!" catchphrase. Like, do the people behind that ad honestly think that the viewers watching that commercial who know who he is/watched the show really need to hear him say that? Do they think it's cute? 

I hate the commercial and the way he enunciates MY is just not the way anyone would 

• Love 7

The commercial with the guy bragging that with Quicken his investments are tracking so that he can retire at 61.  Why would someone who is bragging about his money smarts be targeting  61 instead of waiting until your social security eligible age?

And, you have no idea how your investments will be doing down the road just because you use Quicken. A different economy and your funds could be a lot less.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, cinsays said:

I hate the commercial and the way he enunciates MY is just not the way anyone would 

When he talks about adding more money to MY account and how you should to see if you get more money, I always wonder if it's gonna be added to my account, or his.

Lately, I keep hearing "no obligation" on those insurance ads... and I go straight to singing Paul Simon's "Graceland" - "maybe there's no obligation now..."

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Daff said:

Just wanted to throw out there, If I have to hear the ukulele “poop” song, or the Applebee’s “livin’ rich” song again, I’m seriously going to chuck something at the TV!  I noticed the “poop” jingle was shortened pretty quickly-and, yeah, if you’re watching, all the neighbors are dancing, but seriously, has anyone gotten a “rich” meal at Applebee’s????

No, but all meals there have definitely resulted in poop happening(with the possible exceptions of those that have been vomited)  but it's puzzling that a restaurant chain would want to remind folks of that inevitable outcome when trying to pitch themselves. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, cinsays said:

Not as much as his giddy "It's freeeee" the first time he says it.  Cue William Wallace

On 9/4/2021 at 4:48 PM, peacheslatour said:

I hate the trend nowadays of good music being used on crappy commercials

Just saw the Natalie Portman Dior commercial yesterday with Janis Joplin's 'Crybaby' as the soundtrack.  I just don't get the connection between the song and the perfume

This could also go under 'Commercials that are gross/disgusting' but I also gotta log it here as it definitely enrages me that Zevo thinks their commercials showing the extreme close ups of a roach scuttling across the floor as well as extreme close ups of the bug's 'face' is a good idea.  Not only could they be triggering to people with extreme insect phobias but they've got these running primarily in early evening/prime time where people are likely eating and then BAM! you see a roach onscreen.  The commercial doesn't even allow you time to flip the channel as it starts right on the upclose bug from jump so you can't avoid the interaction.  Just obnoxious and gross all around.

• Love 2
On 9/3/2021 at 9:15 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

At least it doesn't have Shaq Tik Tok dancing.

Please please don't put that in advertisers heads.

I'm getting annoyed with how many ads he's in - I probably sound like a broken record 😅

• LOL 3
  • Love 8

Recently saw a "new" Shaq  ad for pizza. Don't remember what company, it is the Shaqaroni  pizza some profits go to some foundation, tuned it out as soon as it came on... Enough with the Shaq commercials!!

• Love 5

He's in another ad for Frosted Flakes where he tries one up Tony the Tiger like Kristen Wiig's annoying SNL character that always does the same thing.   Finally Tony asks:  'Where's the button that mutes Shaq?'...because he can't say 'how do I shut this bitch up?' on TV.  We're right there with you, Tony.   

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Maverick said:

He's in another ad for Frosted Flakes where he tries one up Tony the Tiger like Kristen Wiig's annoying SNL character that always does the same thing.   Finally Tony asks:  'Where's the button that mutes Shaq?'...because he can't say 'how do I shut this bitch up?' on TV.  We're right there with you, Tony.   

OK saw that one too...Geeze when did he become be all end of commercial advertising??? Why????

• Love 4

UGH that Applebee’s ad.  Not only is it annoying with the twangy song and dumb dancing, the lyrics about it being bougie and fancy-like make me genuinely sad for these people.  I’m no snob about chain restaurants- hell I friggin ❤️ Cheesecake Factory- but Applebee’s, which is notorious for inducing diarrhea, should not be described as fancy or bougie even if it is ironic.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

This could also go under 'Commercials that are gross/disgusting' but I also gotta log it here as it definitely enrages me that Zevo thinks their commercials showing the extreme close ups of a roach scuttling across the floor as well as extreme close ups of the bug's 'face' is a good idea.  Not only could they be triggering to people with extreme insect phobias but they've got these running primarily in early evening/prime time where people are likely eating and then BAM! you see a roach onscreen.  The commercial doesn't even allow you time to flip the channel as it starts right on the upclose bug from jump so you can't avoid the interaction.  Just obnoxious and gross all around.

That's sort of the opposite of one I recently saw for the first time.  I wasn't watching too closely, but there was a family of rats or mice hanging out, and they started dropping dead from the D-con.  But they were the opposite of realistic, gross/scary creatures; they looked cute and cuddly.  Could have been my kids' stuffed animals.  I don't want them to die!

It reminded me of a Far Side cartoon where the Mom Rat looks at the box of rat poison in the cabinet and says something like "It's really dumb to keep this here by the cereal!  Why do we have this in the first place?"

• LOL 4
11 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Recently saw a "new" Shaq  ad for pizza. Don't remember what company

Shaq is required to appear in at least one commercial for every product. The pizza is from Papa John's...that enough to ensure I never try it.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

The commercial doesn't even allow you time to flip the channel as it starts right on the upclose bug from jump so you can't avoid the interaction.  Just obnoxious and gross all around.

Not as bad as the one that made it look like a roach was running across your TV screen.

• Love 6

Shaq owns 9 Papa John's franchises.

Also, here's a list of some of his other investments (as of July 2021):

According to NBC Sports, O'Neal's estimated net worth is said to be $400 million. "He is the joint owner of 155 Five Guys Burgers restaurants, 17 Auntie Annie's Pretzels restaurants, 150 car washes, 40 24-hour fitness centers, a shopping center, a movie theater, and several Las Vegas nightclubs," the report states.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 6
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Shaq owns 9 Papa John's franchises.

Also, here's a list of some of his other investments (as of July 2021):

According to NBC Sports, O'Neal's estimated net worth is said to be $400 million. "He is the joint owner of 155 Five Guys Burgers restaurants, 17 Auntie Annie's Pretzels restaurants, 150 car washes, 40 24-hour fitness centers, a shopping center, a movie theater, and several Las Vegas nightclubs," the report states.

And a partridge in a pear tree.

• LOL 15
  • Love 1