Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 8/14/2021 at 7:28 PM, chenoa333 said:

Don't forget about poor Jennifer's dry skin that she moisturizes with Aveeno. Or her dry eye. And her yoga/peletron/skipping rope commercial for whatever the f she's shilling today.

Am I the only one who thinks the woman in the shot of Jennifer from behind in the yoga segment is not really her?  Since we can't see her face, it's just my opinion but I don't think she moves like that.  That woman is strong and Jennifer doesn't strike me as the athletic type.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

It seems like there is a trend now with “famous” people hawking a variety of products.  I’m about tired of seeing the folks from Schitt’s Creek and The Office, along with Shaq and Jennifer Aniston.  It’s so overdone that now I can’t even remember the products due to being sick of the same faces over and over!

• Love 12
1 hour ago, OldStandard said:

It seems like there is a trend now with “famous” people hawking a variety of products

Yes! My favorite/funniest example of this is the Medi Care Help Line commercial. Sometimes you get Joe Namath and sometimes you get Jimmy "JJ" Walker! Does anybody even remember him? 😄

• LOL 9
5 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Yes! My favorite/funniest example of this is the Medi Care Help Line commercial. Sometimes you get Joe Namath and sometimes you get Jimmy "JJ" Walker! Does anybody even remember him? 😄

Great quarterback and funny comedian have now resorted to obnoxious commercials.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

The thing that gets me about the ones with Walker is how awkwardly the script shoehorns in his "Dy-no-MITE!" catchphrase. Like, do the people behind that ad honestly think that the viewers watching that commercial who know who he is/watched the show really need to hear him say that? Do they think it's cute? 

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

The thing that gets me about the ones with Walker is how awkwardly the script shoehorns in his "Dy-no-MITE!" catchphrase. Like, do the people behind that ad honestly think that the viewers watching that commercial who know who he is/watched the show really need to hear him say that? Do they think it's cute? 

"I'm Ruuuula Lenska."

• LOL 15
  • Love 2

OK this commercial has slowly rubbed on my last nerve. Pepperidge Farm Gold Fish  crackers. A very large tall man has a huge bag of the Gold Fish in his hand and calls it his Bo Bahn Bag. I have no idea who this guy is. There is another man across from him that is slender, probably normal height . The big guy tosses him a snack. size bag of Gold Fish crackers to him and says it is "Toby size".

I can barely understand what the big guy is saying and I have no idea who these people are...there are a couple versions none of which mean any thing to me. I guess I am not the target audience for these ads. I am just tired of hearing the mumbling talking...

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
29 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

OK this commercial has slowly rubbed on my last nerve. Pepperidge Farm Gold Fish  crackers. A very large tall man has a huge bag of the Gold Fish in his hand and calls it his Bo Bahn Bag. I have no idea who this guy is. There is another man across from him that is slender, probably normal height . The big guy tosses him a snack. size bag of Gold Fish crackers to him and says it is "Toby size".

I can barely understand what the big guy is saying and I have no idea who these people are...there are a couple versions none of which mean any thing to me. I guess I am not the target audience for these ads. I am just tired of hearing the mumbling talking...

Ditto.  Who the hell ARE they?

ETA: Ispot doesn't have THAT ad, but they've got another one and the description explains they are both NBA players.  https://www.ispot.tv/ad/OI0R/goldfish-go-for-the-handful-competition

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 2
On 8/13/2021 at 10:16 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

Don't look up what he looks like now, it's horrifying.

TBH, I never thought Mason Reese was cute.

11 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I'm not sure, but they're basketball players and the tall man's name is Bo Bahn and the short guy is Toby. That's all I know.

I've been seeing this one commercial in circulation that made me scratch my head but now just annoys the pudding out of me in which a woman with a poor phone connection mistakenly thinks she is going to a costume party and should dress outrageously. There is so much wrong with this commercial, beginning with her thinking it's a costume party and her not noticing the phone glitching so conveniently. 

• Love 7
20 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I could have sworn I saw Chuck Woolery a couple weeks ago(or maybe that’s a different company?)

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I'm not sure, but they're basketball players and the tall man's name is Bo Bahn and the short guy is Toby. That's all I know.

His name is Boban Marjanović  (Pronunciation: \BO-bahn Mar-YAWN-oh-vich\)  He is Serbian and is 7'4"  The other dude is Tobias (Tobi) Harris, a native New Yorker, who's only 6'8".

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

His name is Boban Marjanović  (Pronunciation: \BO-bahn Mar-YAWN-oh-vich\)  He is Serbian and is 7'4"  The other dude is Tobias (Tobi) Harris, a native New Yorker, who's only 6'8".

Lol "only".

• LOL 8
  • Love 5

I keep seeing a commercial with a little girl and her father, he is making breakfast, waffles I think, the whole time he is making breakfast he is chanting something about chef this or chef that, I cannot understand what he is saying and no idea what the product was.  It is annoying.

• Love 3

I've only seen it twice and I can't stand it! Ross, split/duplicating screen shots of different young women, "I bought it here for less, I really love it! I'm going to wear it" with sped up soundtrack so they sound like chipmunks, I will be muting from now on. And I probably don't have the words right. I won't be listening to get them right. 

Edited by friendperidot
I've heard it 12 more times & remember what they say
  • LOL 2
On 8/13/2021 at 5:41 PM, susannah said:

I don't think La Z Boy is cheap furniture, I don't know, but I wouldn't say she does or doesn't!

Loved the brand for years. Bought a chair last year from there, should have returned it, it's garbage. Nothing like it used to be.

I haaaaate the Allstate car insurance ad, with the singing hood ornament. That empty little silver mouth and that toneless singing grates on me. 

I have to look away from it. I just cannot watch it. I can hear it without feeling sick, but not look at it.

• Love 7
On 8/16/2021 at 4:45 PM, chenoa333 said:

William Shatner is doing one now too.

• LOL 1

The commercial for The Voice with Ariana Grande singing Hopelessly Devoted to You in the woods. The new season apparently starts September 20th so I guess I have to endure another month of that song getting randomly stuck in my head.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

Gah, the  current Groupon commercial with the gigantic hands. There is something so off putting about it. It's in the same vein as the one with John Goodman's face on a finger.

Gee, thanks so much for reminding me of that nausea-inducing John Goodman ad.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I've never seen this one.  Now I will have to look it up, but at risk of being nauseated.

I didn't even realize it was John Goodman back when I first saw it, Just that the face was sort of scary looking.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, GussieK said:

I've never seen this one.  Now I will have to look it up, but at risk of being nauseated.

Don't do it.  It's worse than anything your imagination can come up with.

Sorry, I see I'm too late.  😒

Edited by Leeds
uo does not equal up
  • LOL 4

I have a new one. Regional. This morning I saw an extremely odd commercial where people were talking to giant furry numbers. Huh?  Turns out it’s an ad for the NYS lottery.  See your friends more often, they say. Your friends the numbers. Which you can now play with twice daily drawings or some such. I hate that they advertise gambling in the first place, but you actually had no idea what this was until the end. So you had to gape in disgust at the gross giant furry numbers. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 4
On 8/16/2021 at 1:51 PM, rcc said:

Great quarterback and funny comedian have now resorted to obnoxious commercials.

The Joe Namath commercials have me racing to mute. He seems to slip in an out of a southern accent, particularly in the ones from a couple of years ago.

A new-ish one I don’t like is for Xfinity’s wireless service, including a woman by a pool lowering her sunglasses to the tip of her nose and snotting “relax, people, my wireless is crushing it.” Can’t say I’ve ever had a stranger’s wireless connection cause me to be unable to relax. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

The new one I hate is the woman gets in her suv after spin class, looks perfect, no sweat, commenting on the hard it was

She must have just sat and watched. 

Yes she could have showered and fixed herself up, but then what the point of mentioning it in the commercial? They go into how the car can give her a massage or something, so they want you to know she just finished and is tired and sore, but she looks fine.   Instead of saying it, why don't they make her LOOK that way and like she needs a massage?   

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, GussieK said:

I have a new one. Regional. This morning I saw an extremely odd commercial where people were talking to giant furry numbers. Huh?  Turns out it’s an add for the NYS lottery.  See your friends more often, they say. Your friends the numbers. Which you can now play with twice daily drawings or some such. I hate that they advertise gambling in the first place, but you actually had no idea what this was until the end. So you had to gape in disgust at the gross giant furry numbers. 

I was going to post about this one, too! Hate it!!

• Love 4

Maybe I’m getting too old to understand or appreciate the focus of many of today’s commercials.  The one where the couple is arguing over who tells another person that they have spilled salsa on their shirt - what IS the point besides annoying us?  Are all the advertising personnel who used to address people as semi-rational adults all retired and gone?  I just seem to find myself scratching my head and wondering what the heck is the message!  And then I reach for the mute or fast forward buttons!

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
On 8/21/2021 at 4:09 PM, Crashcourse said:

I'm sick of those Citi cash card commercials with Rashida Jones in those oversized clothes.  

Why is she sneaking out of her own house to go on vacation?

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

There’s a Reese’s ad where they say something like  “we got a letter from a fan. An actual letter. Dude, you could have emailed us.“ Really, just appreciate the (probably fictional) fan mail. You don’t need to diss your fans!

• Love 17
39 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

There’s a Reese’s ad where they say something like  “we got a letter from a fan. An actual letter. Dude, you could have emailed us.“ Really, just appreciate the (probably fictional) fan mail. You don’t need to diss your fans!

Especially since it takes more effort to send a letter than an email; companies/organizations/government offices generally tally not just positive and negative feedback on a given item, but method of correspondence - the more effort involved in the means of communication, the greater the weight it's given (on the assumption whether someone chose to add their name to an email generated by a lobbying organization, post to social media, send an original email, call, or write a letter indicates how important it is to them, and thus how important it should be to address their feedback).

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

All of those Reese's ads with that obnoxious guy irritate me.  Makes me want to stop eating...nah, who am I kidding? 😄

• LOL 3
  • Love 9