Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

8 hours ago, susannah said:

I may be in the minority but I loved the woodchucks chucking wood into the pond and laughing like crazy. Hasn't been on in a long time.

I liked the little pig squealing in the back seat, but that one apparently isn't all that popular. 

The most annoying thing about the Smurf Suit Joe commercial is that it is the same commercial being aired over and over and over again.  Most of the commercials that eventually become annoying that wouldn't necessarily be otherwise are due to them being overplayed.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I liked the little pig squealing in the back seat, but that one apparently isn't all that popular. 

I liked it too, he was having such fun with his pinwheel, but I have read that people thought it was obnoxious.

• Like 12

31 minutes ago, susannah said:

I liked it too, he was having such fun with his pinwheel, but I have read that people thought it was obnoxious.

I liked the mom who was driving. She was just done with him.

• Like 16

I remember the pig commercial.   The full length commercial has him turning into a little boy when he's walking up the front walk to his house.   So people objected to him hanging out the windows, no seat belt, etc., too.    I only saw the full length one a couple of time, and then the turning into a kid part was never shown again, or I didn't see it.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
  • Useful 5

Oy, this Bounty commercial where the spilled coffee is going to ruin the winning lottery ticket...just pick up the ticket off the counter, THEN worry about wiping up the spill! It’s as dumb as the one where they’re wiping the spill TOWARD the phone instead of heading it off from the other direction!

• Like 17

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Except he wasn't trying to be annoying, he was just having fun! I also just saw the ad with the kid eating the burger with it smeared all over her face, and it is disgusting.

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I remember the pig commercial.   The full length commercial has him turning into a little boy when he's walking up the front walk to his house.   So people objected to him hanging out the windows, no seat belt, etc., too.    I only saw the full length one a couple of time, and then the turning into a kid part was never shown again, or I didn't see it.  

I never saw that either!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

The actor's line delivery and facial expressions are perfect.

And Maxwell is even funny when he says, "Oh, cool, thanks, Mrs. A," after she snaps him out of it and he realizes he's home.

But, holy crap, too much of the wee wee weeing!  It hurts my ears and angers my soul.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 2

7 hours ago, Leeds said:

Anyone else read this as being about "ball acne"?  Maybe I should slow down. 

Oh good, it's not just me for once.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 2

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

The actor's line delivery and facial expressions are perfect.

And Maxwell is even funny when he says, "Oh, cool, thanks, Mrs. A," after she snaps him out of it and he realizes he's home.

But, holy crap, too much of the wee wee weeing!  It hurts my ears and angers my soul.

I heard him thank Mrs A but it was a talking pig! Hopefully he was just "wheeing" and not weeing! Yeah I just watched it again on youtube and  it was just the one where he says thanks, didn't see him get out, but he does have his seat belt on and only has his head and one arm? foot? out the window.

Edited by susannah
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Oh good, it's not just me for once.

No, I got the "Ball"-Ance" right away just gross in my book....

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Leeds said:

Anyone else read this as being about "ball acne"?  Maybe I should slow down. 

Is it too soon for me to say "that's just nuts" again?  I know I just said it a few pages ago, but it still fits.

What the heck is ball acne?  I have never heard of that.   And how would you know if you had it?   I couldn't see the forest for the tree?  Those balls are pretty well hidden.  Of course later on in life he probably would have to tuck them in one of his socks.  Gravity is a bitch.  Still, up until then, how would anyone ever know they had ball acne?

16 hours ago, susannah said:

I didn't think he was being obnoxious. 

14 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Then they would have thrown an absolute hissy fit back in the mid 70s when kids used to ride in a back of a pickup and/or station wagons without any restraints whatsoever.  It was common back then.  It doesn't make it right, it was a different time.

The pig commercial wasn't real,  I don't know why anyone would make more out of it then there was.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Is it too soon for me to say "that's just nuts" again?  I know I just said it a few pages ago, but it still fits.

What the heck is ball acne?  I have never heard of that.   And how would you know if you had it?   I couldn't see the forest for the tree?  Those balls are pretty well hidden.  Of course later on in life he probably would have to tuck them in one of his socks.  Gravity is a bitch.  Still, up until then, how would anyone ever know they had ball acne?

I didn't think he was being obnoxious. 

Then they would have thrown an absolute hissy fit back in the mid 70s when kids used to ride in a back of a pickup and/or station wagons without any restraints whatsoever.  It was common back then.  It doesn't make it right, it was a different time.

The pig commercial wasn't real,  I don't know why anyone would make more out of it then there was.

I know! In the front seat, in the back of the station wagon, in the back of the pickup..totally common! I don't know why people would get their knickers in a twist over a cute pig commercial.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, susannah said:

I know! In the front seat, in the back of the station wagon, in the back of the pickup..totally common! I don't know why people would get their knickers in a twist over a cute pig commercial.

I found Maxwell the pig and his squealing quite annoying, but the rest didn't particularly bother me.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I found Maxwell the pig and his squealing quite annoying, but the rest didn't particularly bother me.

I wasn't a fan of Maxwell but I did like the mom at the end.

• Like 5

That's a first.  During one commercial break I saw the same Peyronie's disease commercial twice along with an erectile dysfunction commercial.  I was going to say what is up with that, but sadly given the last commercial there wasn't anything up with that.   I don't think I have ever seen a sequence of commercials like that before.   Usually it is Medicare commercial after Medicare commercial.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 13

For the past few days there’s been a commercial for Get Go where a guy is going around the store with a gun shooting at things, and towards people, where the gun turns one product into two.  With all these shootings in our country, how irresponsible is it to have someone shooting up a convenience store?  What are these ad agencies thinking.

• Like 5
  • Surprise 15
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, KLovestoShop said:

For the past few days there’s been a commercial for Get Go where a guy is going around the store with a gun shooting at things, and towards people, where the gun turns one product into two.  With all these shootings in our country, how irresponsible is it to have someone shooting up a convenience store?  What are these ad agencies thinking.

Oh my God!

• Like 6

On 5/30/2021 at 5:26 AM, icemiser69 said:

I loved the Maxwell one!!  When my kids were being obnoxious, I'd just say "Maxwell!" (neither of them are named Maxwell) and they'd laugh and settle down.  I found a gif of Maxwell hanging out the window and sent it to my son for his birthday.  He told me it was a blast from the past.

• Like 9

"I was going to say what is up with that, but sadly given the last commercial there wasn't anything up with that".

I see what you did there.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 6
  • Surprise 1

The woman who sings the Folgers commercial has given me permanent brain damage. In what world is that an acceptable singing voice?

• Like 3

Thank goodness I haven't seen that one yet!

• Like 3

I don't know who came up with the concept of people on public transport singing in an operatic recitative about structured settlements, but that person needs to be gored by Brunhilde's helmet.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 13

This commercial doesn't really make me angry but just very very sad and depressed.  I hate seeing my favorite t.v. personalities whether it's acting or wrestling reduced to Tide commercials.  I mean I get the word play but still it's a Tide commercial *weep, weep*

• Like 2

From the Goli Gummies commercial...

Office workers: Jim, want some cake?

Jim, in smug sing-song voice (followed by lame dance moves): No, thank you!! 

Me: LIAR!!

• Like 4
  • Laugh 4

6 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

This commercial doesn't really make me angry but just very very sad and depressed.  I hate seeing my favorite t.v. personalities whether it's acting or wrestling reduced to Tide commercials.  I mean I get the word play but still it's a Tide commercial *weep, weep*

I stopped watching SVU a million years ago but it annoys me to see Ice-T doing stupid commercials.  I don't think the Tide commercial is as bad as the one for Car Shield.  I hate those commercials regardless of who is in them but I especially hate his.  Do they really expect us to believe he uses Car Shield for his cars?  I understand they're a total rip off and I'm pretty sure Ice-T can afford to repair his own cars.

Edited by AnnA
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

I agree. I don't mind IceT's Car Shield ads, but Tide? Just no. It is sad, and I wouldn't think Ice needs the money! I think SVU is still on, it's the beast that won't die, and I thought he was still on it too. I could be wrong.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, susannah said:

I agree. I don't mind IceT's Car Shield ads, but Tide? Just no. It is sad, and I wouldn't think Ice needs the money! I think SVU is still on, it's the beast that won't die, and I thought he was still on it too. I could be wrong.

You're right.  SVU is still on and he's still on it.  

• Like 3

I think the Tide commercials are cute.  "You know his mother?"

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Haleth said:

I think the Tide commercials are cute.  "You know his mother?"

I'm an Ice-T fan from L&O:SVU and I just like the man.  I remember when he was a rapper before he got into acting.  He at first was panned as not being able to act, but I gave him a chance and he started nailing it.  His snark on SVU is a breath of fresh air and what keeps me watching.  I don't mind this commercial at all.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I'm an Ice-T fan from L&O:SVU and I just like the man.  I remember when he was a rapper before he got into acting.  He at first was panned as not being able to act, but I gave him a chance and he started nailing it.  His snark on SVU is a breath of fresh air and what keeps me watching.  I don't mind this commercial at all.

Nor do I. The first time I saw his acting chops was in a movie called Surviving The Game based on the 1924 story The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell. I was impressed.

• Useful 1

The Corona beer commercial with Snoop Dog.

Never liked him, based on the things he's said on social media.

It belies the genial guy presented in the commercial, spreading Corona beers to his "friends" on some Mexican beach.

Snoop is all dapper, smiling, looks very genial

Of course you don't expect a celebrity pushing a product on a commercial to represent his real personality but it's so opposite of what he can be like.

Corona or their ad agency must hope that people who see the commercial are unaware of Snoop's douchey behavior?

• Like 5

On 6/3/2021 at 12:28 PM, mmecorday said:

I don't know who came up with the concept of people on public transport singing in an operatic recitative about structured settlements, but that person needs to be gored by Brunhilde's helmet.

Awww, I find those rather amusing.  But hey, to each their own.

19 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

From the Goli Gummies commercial...

Office workers: Jim, want some cake?

Jim, in smug sing-song voice (followed by lame dance moves): No, thank you!! 

Me: LIAR!!

Me too.

19 hours ago, AnnA said:

I stopped watching SVU a million years ago but it annoys me to see Ice-T doing stupid commercials.  I don't think the Tide commercial is as bad as the one for Car Shield.  I hate those commercials regardless of who is in them but I especially hate his.  Do they really expect us to believe he uses Car Shield for his cars?  I understand they're a total rip off and I'm pretty sure Ice-T can afford to repair his own cars.

The Tide commercial isn't nearly as bad.  No lucky frogs were kissed during the making of that Tide commercial.🐸

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

I find the cold call Tide commercials mildly amusing. (Also, the first thing I saw Ice-T act in was Tank Girl.

On 6/1/2021 at 3:31 PM, icemiser69 said:

That's a first.  During one commercial break I saw the same Peyronie's disease commercial twice along with an erectile dysfunction commercial.  I was going to say what is up with that, but sadly given the last commercial there wasn't anything up with that.   I don't think I have ever seen a sequence of commercials like that before.   Usually it is Medicare commercial after Medicare commercial.

What were you watching?

• Laugh 1

1 hour ago, aghst said:

The Corona beer commercial with Snoop Dog.

Never liked him, based on the things he's said on social media.

It belies the genial guy presented in the commercial, spreading Corona beers to his "friends" on some Mexican beach.

Snoop is all dapper, smiling, looks very genial

Of course you don't expect a celebrity pushing a product on a commercial to represent his real personality but it's so opposite of what he can be like.

Corona or their ad agency must hope that people who see the commercial are unaware of Snoop's douchey behavior?

I've always liked Snoop Dog so I enjoy those commercials.

• Like 2

Has this Poise commercial been talked about yet?

There are so many bodily function commercials I can't keep up.  She sprung a leak while picking up a bag of cement.   Good thing she didn't pee on the cement.  If she had she would have had even bigger problems.

It is hard to believe that the employee wouldn't help her with the cement simply because she wasn't wearing a tool belt.  I would believe that the employee wouldn't help anyone out of pure laziness.  And of course that employee is too busy playing with his phone to give a rat's ass about customers.  Without those customers he wouldn't have a job.

Edited by icemiser69 · Reason: I forgot the word ASS.
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Has this Poise commercial been talked about yet?

There are so many bodily function commercials I can't keep up.  She sprung a leak while picking up a bag of cement.   Good thing she didn't pee on the cement.  If she had she would have had even bigger problems.

It is hard to believe that the employee wouldn't help her with the cement simply because she wasn't wearing a tool belt.  I would believe that the employee wouldn't help anyone out of pure laziness.  And of course that employee is too busy playing with his phone to give a rats about customers.  Without those customers he wouldn't have a job.

Lisa should have asked the man for help.  Maybe even flirt a little.  Men are afraid to approach women these days because they don't want to be taken the wrong way and end up on some #MeToo list.  It all started with so-called feminists biting off the heads of guys who would dare to open doors for them.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

3 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Lisa should have asked the man for help.  Maybe even flirt a little.  Men are afraid to approach women these days because they don't want to be taken the wrong way and end up on some #MeToo list.  It all started with so-called feminists biting off the heads of guys who would dare to open doors for them.

Uh huh.

• Like 13
  • Laugh 1

20 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

She could have threatened to pee on his shoe.  That ought to get him moving.

• Laugh 9

34 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Yeah, in the other direction.  "Clean up on Aisle 4" is not what she should be going for.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Disagreement is fine, but civility toward fellow posters is the rule here.  This includes both snarky rejoinders AND calling other posters rude.  Let's stick to commercials. 

6 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Disagree there. "Flirt a little?"  Men who don't sexually harass or abuse women don't have to worry about ending up on a MeToo list. I don't know if men are "afraid" to approach women these days or for what reason, but if they are, they need to look to the behavior of other men, not women.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I generally agree with you but in this case I think he was just being lazy.

I am short and now that I'm older I often need to ask for help in stores.  When I was younger men often used to offer me help without my asking for it because I was more attractive then, and because in my opinion people were generally more polite.

I also think men refrain from helping women today because they don't want their offer to be seen as condescending a woman's ability to take care of herself.

I'm probably about your age.  My mother was a feminist and took me to bra burning demonstrations as a kid.  I have always considered myself a feminist but these days I often feel that the concept is being taken a bit too far.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

16 minutes ago, susannah said:

Disagree there. "Flirt a little?"  Men who don't sexually harass or abuse women don't have to worry about ending up on a MeToo list. I don't know if men are "afraid" to approach women these days or for what reason, but if they are, they need to look to the behavior of other men, not women.

Not to get too far off topic, but I actually know men that are suddenly afraid to approach their own girlfriends for sex because they are afraid they might make them feel "uncomfortable".  I think that's going too far but sadly it's not surprising to me in the current climate.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

27 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I generally agree with you but in this case I think he was just being lazy.

I am short and now that I'm older I often need to ask for help in stores.  When I was younger men often used to offer me help without my asking for it because I was more attractive then, and because in my opinion people were generally more polite.

I also think men refrain from helping women today because they don't want their offer to be seen as condescending a woman's ability to take care of herself.

I'm probably about your age.  My mother was a feminist and took me to bra burning demonstrations as a kid.  I have always considered myself a feminist but these days I often feel that the concept is being taken a bit too far.

I agree that the commercial was probably going for "occupied" employee which makes him look disinterested or lazy.  He was probably sexting his girlfriend.  Burning bras is good.  I'm all for equal pay for equal work and equal opportunities.  But I don't think a flirty little smile or ask for help is a crime.

• Like 2

Folks,

We are getting far off topic here.  This is not the place to debate the impact of the #MeToo movement or feminism.  Let's get back to commercials.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I agree that the commercial was probably going for "occupied" employee which makes him look disinterested or lazy.  He was probably sexting his girlfriend.  Burning bras is good.  I'm all for equal pay for equal work and equal opportunities.  But I don't think a flirty little smile or ask for help is a crime.

Actually I don't think they were going for "disinterested employee"  The female commercial announcer says pretty clearly that this woman didn't get any help because she didn't have a tool belt, which implies that it's because she was a woman.  I've been to big hardware stores many times and I seriously doubt I've ever not been helped because I wasn't a man and/or didn't have a tool belt, and I'm pretty sensitive to stuff like that.  I still think disinterested employee is more like it.  Of course in either case ideally she shouldn't have to flirt or or grab his attention to get help, he should come to her. 

I think if I were a man and worked in a hardware store that commercial would piss me off.  It makes it sound like it's a thing that women don't get help in hardware stores because they're women.  Meanwhile is that really true or fair to imply in a commercial?  I can actually think of better examples than that one, like dealing with independent landscapers, car repairmen or contractors, LOL.  It's much easier and we get better results when my husband deals with them and even my husband agrees.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Yeah, but then she'd also had to have gone straight home to change her entire wardrobe below the waist AND take a bath (being careful to somehow protect the carseat in the meantime) so I'm not sure that would have been worth carrying out said threat regardless of how annoying he'd been. 

• Like 3