Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

46 minutes ago, knuckles491 said:

The latest Voltaren ad where the guy is dancing at a wedding.  Bad dancing right out of a Seinfeld episode.

Yes that commercial is bad but the cream sure does work.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 6/27/2021 at 8:59 PM, Gramto6 said:

There is a new ad I have seen recently one version is grossing me out. It is called Lume a personal deodorant for all parts of the body. Pits, crotch and butt. The one that grosses me out is the demonstration of application to the butt crack. They say use a pea sized drop of the cream and rub it outside the butt, they demonstrate it it on the "crack" of a peach!  Gross, gross, gross!!!  

Don't people shower anymore???

Ooh, another one for me to hate. (Haven't had the pleasure of seeing that one yet but as I said a few pages back, I hate all of 'em.)

On 6/29/2021 at 8:02 PM, Kawaiiko said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this 2021 Nissan Rogue commercial:

I'm getting VERY sick of it and I hope they move it out of rotation soon. 

Isn't that for a sales event? If I'm remembering that correctly (I'm not playing it again to check) hopefully that means it'll go away soonish (though car sales events seem to last a while).

On 7/2/2021 at 11:14 AM, Bruinsfan said:

To be fair, he can probably pull it off. I think that rule is mainly for those of us who are likely to go pasty fast after the summer is done.

I'm pasty all year round. Guess I can't ever wear white. ;-)

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/30/2021 at 3:38 AM, susannah said:

I have seen a few ads for different things lately where people have food falling out of their mouths as they eat. Again, ads that are stomach turning don't inspire me to rush out and buy the product.

Or the dogs noisily  licking bowls & stuff 😝

They have a horrible country singer on the Skyrizi commercial now-just the freaking worst !

Edited by xls
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, xls said:

Or the dogs noisily  licking bowls & stuff 😝

They have a horrible country singer on the Skyrizi commercial now-just the freaking worst !

As if that would fix that terrible song.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Is there some sort of secret competition among insurance companies to determine who can be the most annoying and disrespectful to supposed adults who might consider using their product?  I’m not sure whether Liberty Mutual or Progressive is ahead at the moment, but the sheer numbers of appalllingly stupid commercials can’t be a coincidence!

• Love 14
On 7/2/2021 at 11:56 AM, Dirtybubble said:

That does bother me as well.  Is that the only concern or problem in your life?

I Googled the reason:  The "you can't wear white after Labor Day," rule was created to separate the old money elitists from the new money group. ... For those who had money and could leave the city during warmer months, white was considered vacation attire.  Go figure *shrug*

These people are way too excited about laundry.  

I never knew the reason but I figured, since I live in the soggy Northwest, that white shoes in the fall would be more likely to get muddy after rain?

• LOL 2
14 minutes ago, susannah said:

I never knew the reason but I figured, since I live in the soggy Northwest, that white shoes in the fall would be more likely to get muddy after rain?

Me too and I would kill for soggy right about now!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Okay, another “thing” just struck me wrong - a commercial for a psychiatric drug (and I object to the whole concept of pharmaceutical companies marketing direct to consumer, but that’s another topic!).  Anyway, this commercial said IN WORDS PRINTED ON THE SCREEN “some patients may see real progress.”  Now, really, who ought to take a drug with that recommendation??  The answer is “nobody.”  Drugs alter the function of cells in our bodies - that’s the definition of a drug - and it doesn’t seem a risk worth taking for “you might see some progress.”

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, OldStandard said:

Okay, another “thing” just struck me wrong - a commercial for a psychiatric drug (and I object to the whole concept of pharmaceutical companies marketing direct to consumer, but that’s another topic!).  Anyway, this commercial said IN WORDS PRINTED ON THE SCREEN “some patients may see real progress.”  Now, really, who ought to take a drug with that recommendation??  The answer is “nobody.”  Drugs alter the function of cells in our bodies - that’s the definition of a drug - and it doesn’t seem a risk worth taking for “you might see some progress.”

I hate pharmaceuticals being advertised on TV. Hate it.

• Love 18
(edited)

I don't think pharmaceuticals should be advertised at all.  Who is their intended audience?  Doctors or laymen?   If it's doctors, there are medical journals, associations, etc. where they could advertise.  If it's laymen, it's unacceptable and useless.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 24
3 minutes ago, AnnA said:

I don't think pharmaceuticals should be advertised at all.  Who is their intended audience?  Doctors or laymen?   If it's doctors, there are medical journals, associations, etc. where they could advertise.  If it's laymen, it's unacceptable and useless.

Exactly.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, AnnA said:

I don't think pharmaceuticals should be advertised at all.

I agree. I also think it is so weird that they for one keep saying "tell your doctor to give you  med X," like the dr wouldn't know to prescribe it already if you need it, and the second, "tell your doctor if you have had or have ...a leg amputated, a heart transplant, rickets, beri beri, malaria and every other disease known to man.." but, wouldn't your doctor already know your medical history?

• LOL 5
  • Love 11
(edited)

I haven t been here for awhile so maybe this has been mentioned: the Pop Tarts (?) where that annoying guy is describing the latest version of PopTarts and he says it tastes like:

"Warm Strawberry JEM." 

Damn I want to throw a large container of grape jelly in his dumbass face.

Here's another one: the group of crazed young women dancing in glee because they "found a birth control with no hormones. NO HORMONES."

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 8
(edited)
37 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Here's another one: the group of crazed young women dancing in glee because they "found a birth control with no hormones. NO HORMONES."

I posted about that one. I hate it too.  Of course there's no hormones. 

It's an IUD.  Duh!

Edited by AnnA
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, AnnA said:

Carol Burnett's iconic variety show predicted this would happen back in the mid 1970's with the audience back then thinking this was a comic exaggeration but Miss Burnett sure turned out to have NAILED what's happened! 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, AnnA said:

I posted about that one. I hate it too.  Of course there's no hormones. 

It's an IUD.  Duh!

What really bugs me about that one is the line about "an ingredient I can pronounce." It's bad enough when people say that about food ingredients (so when a product lists a vitamin by its chemical name on the ingredient list I shouldn't eat it? What if I can pronounce it but someone else can't? Can I eat it but the other person shouldn't?) but when you're talking about medication/medical devices...it's just nonsensical. I don't even know if calling the components of a medical device "ingredients" even makes sense. (The "ingredient" is copper, for the record. It's even a distinct selling point on the website. It also contains polyethylene...that looks like a scary word.)

image.png.479f94948ed31c4031800dc352f09bf5.png

(What if I have a speech impediment and can't pronounce the word copper?)

• Love 5
(edited)
19 hours ago, AnnA said:

And think of the money they spend on those commercials. Billions a year. Maybe if they spent less, we wouldn’t be screwed on prices.  I’m in a rehab hospital after breaking my hip two weeks ago and I can’t wait to see the bill. I bet I’ll be paying $100 or more per pill. 

I couldn’t care less about their commercials, and doctors don’t need them.  Have you ever noticed how docs fall so far behind on appointments?  It’s because they spend so much time talking to drug company reps.  I would take my mom to her doctor appointments and you could count on him being at least 45 minutes behind because of meetings with reps.  Once I went into the exam room with her and the tiny office was filled nearly to the ceiling with drug “samples”.

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 8
(edited)
26 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

And think of the money they spend on those commercials. Billions a year. Maybe if the spent less, we wouldn’t be screwed on prices. 

Meanwhile, insurance companies want doctors to prescribe generics whenever possible. Hmm...I wonder if that's why they want to market directly to the patient....

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3

This is super nitpicky, but a commercial for Mr. Clean Magic Eraser says there are “hundreds of ways” to use it, then proceeds to list the ways. But it’s all one way” — ie, “rub it on something that’s dirty.” 

• LOL 18
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

This is super nitpicky, but a commercial for Mr. Clean Magic Eraser says there are “hundreds of ways” to use it, then proceeds to list the ways. But it’s all one way” — ie, “rub it on something that’s dirty.” 

Right? Does it put gas in your car or make lemon meringue pie?

• LOL 9
  • Love 5

When they talk about "ways" I think: hold it in your right hand, hold it in your left hand, with a 2 seam fastball grip, like a curveball....like they mean 100s of things you can clean with it, but "ways" doesn't imply that.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Does it clean the oven? Do laundry, grill steaks?

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Well you could rub it on something that's clean if you felt energetic...

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Some IUDs, like Mirena, have hormones.

I didn't know that and don't understand how that would work.

Edited by AnnA

I wish Mr. Clean would kill fruit flies. I have an infestation I canNOT get rid of. They're pooping, too. I've got Mr. Clean to clean up the fly poop once they're dead, but, jeez, they're indestructible. My kitchen is SO disgusting, I'm spending a fortune of Grub Hub bringing me fly-less food.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I wish Mr. Clean would kill fruit flies.

bowl of wine or cider vinegar, with a bit of dish soap, covered with plastic wrap, couple holes poked.

Has done the trick for me.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I am not a fan of them either, but I will take them any day of the week over wonky "personal plumbing" commercials, and insurance commercials.

I'll take personal plumbing commercials over Medicare/Final Expense commercials all day long.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 7/2/2021 at 6:12 PM, rcc said:

Yes that commercial is bad but the cream sure does work.

Whereas the opposite is true for me, I don't mind the commercial, but Voltaren didn't work on the arthritis in my knee at all.

8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'd stock up on it if it put gas in my car and put the clean dishes away.

7 hours ago, susannah said:

Does it clean the oven? Do laundry, grill steaks?

Can I get it to take out the trash?

• Love 5
(edited)
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

for folding laundry.

I knew I was forgetting something.

Oh, well, it's just sheets and a blanket I don't need right now. They can wait another day or six.

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'll take personal plumbing commercials over Medicare/Final Expense commercials all day long.

I would take Final Expense ads over personal plumbing and maintenance thereof, pharmaceuticals AND gross Skittle ads.

4 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Can it core a apple?

Methinks Mr Clean ME better provide proof of his "hundred ways!"

• Love 3
13 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Whereas the opposite is true for me, I don't mind the commercial, but Voltaren didn't work on the arthritis in my knee at all.

I'd stock up on it if it put gas in my car and put the clean dishes away.

Can I get it to take out the trash?

I have arthritis in my right knee and luckily it works for me.

• Love 1

Please, Walgreens, cease and desist with those John Legend vaccine ads! Is there a living soul who finds this smug, weird-looking little man persuasive other than Chrissy Teigen? Maybe the Skyrizzi songwriters could come up with a jingle for him to croon at us (shudder)?

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
6 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Please, Walgreens, cease and desist with those John Legend vaccine ads! Is there a living soul who finds this smug, weird-looking little man persuasive other than Chrissy Teigen? Maybe the Skyrizzi songwriters could come up with a jingle for him to croon at us (shudder)?

I love this ad. I think John is a cutie!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

As if somebody will run out and get vaccinated because he says so.  🙄  Plus, the little man croaks when he sings so I can't stand his voice.  

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Crashcourse said:

As if somebody will run out and get vaccinated because he says so.  🙄  Plus, the little man croaks when he sings so I can't stand his voice.  

Anything John Legend or his psycho wife are in would annoy me, commercials or otherwise.  Instahate from me.

• Love 9