Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

There are times I like Jell-O. When I am coming out of a bad migraine, Jell-O is about all I can handle. Fortunately, those days seem to be behind me. I take Propranolol daily and it keeps them down to where a couple of Excedrin Migraine or Great Value Headache tabs do away with them. 

And I was in the hospital at the first of June with an infected tooth, I was on a liquid diet, soup for lunch and dinner, cream of wheat for breakfast, all the rest of all the meals were combinations of ice cream or sherbet, custard, applesauce, Jell-O. I was so sick of all of those things by the time I got home. I only got Jell-O a couple of times, I looked forward to it. I couldn't open my mouth enough to get any real food in. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Wow. I hesitate to admit this, seeing as I would be in the minority.

I loved Jello as a kid and it was one of the things I could eat and not be sick when I was undergoing chemo.

I’ll just see myself out.

I liked it as a kid and still do. I have health issues which include periods of nausea, and jello is good at those times, and even when I am not sick. If you have to see yourself out, I will go with you! It is also good with whipped cream, as is chocolate pudding.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I liked jello, too.  Warm, liquid jello, regular jello, or jello with extra gelatin so you could pick it up — I liked it all.  As long as it was red jello, of course.

Years ago, during my first "prep" for a colonoscopy, I was told to eat Jell-O for an entire day, and then take these pills... I had red Jell-O.  OMG. I thought I was hemorrhaging. Then I realized it was the red Jell-O. Not EVER going to do THAT again.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Years ago, during my first "prep" for a colonoscopy, I was told to eat Jell-O for an entire day, and then take these pills... I had red Jell-O.  OMG. I thought I was hemorrhaging. Then I realized it was the red Jell-O. Not EVER going to do THAT again.

I think they told me in the instructions not to eat or drink anything with red dye. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

"Help, I'm dying! Oh, guess not" My sister had a colonoscopy a while back and she had to drink a whole big bottle of gross stuff. Jello and pills sound far easier. But not red.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, susannah said:

"Help, I'm dying! Oh, guess not" My sister had a colonoscopy a while back and she had to drink a whole big bottle of gross stuff. Jello and pills sound far easier. But not red.

Yes. That's what I had to do the next time. It's actually quicker than the Jello-O/Pills thing that took THREE DAYS to accomplish. And that's when you notice EVERY commercial is about food.  That you can't have.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, susannah said:

There's the big bottle of gross stuff and pills.  If you get the big bottle, keep in in the fridge and keep your glass in the freezer, so the stuff is ice cold when you drink it.  That kills the taste somewhat.  Also have mints you can suck on after drinking to clear your palate. (I also suggest watching your diet for a few days before taking the test.  Eating easily digestible foods and soups.  Anything that's easy to get out again.)

• Useful 5
14 hours ago, MagicEyes said:

I’ve had one shingles shot, and I had worse symptoms than I did with the COVID vaccine. My arm was sore and swollen for several days. I hope the second shot isn’t worse. 🥺

Everyone I know who got the Shingrix shot had a bad reaction. I got the older shot, but my doctor keeps going back and forth on whether I need the Shingrix shots too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

My dad had started a veggie garden and gave us a bunch of beets. Now, beets were not something I ever bought at the store and my DH and I had never really eaten fresh beets before. I roasted a nice amount of them for dinner one night and the next day my DH called me from work. "OMG, something is wrong with me! I went to pee and it's bright RED! Arrrgghh!" I had to laugh, "It's ok honey, we had beets for dinner last night, remember?"

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 7/27/2021 at 10:21 AM, Bruinsfan said:

I liked jello as a kid, but my folks always made the standard cherry or lime variety with no added bits like flies trapped in amber. I thought it was amazing that the liquid would set up like that.

My mother couldn't make Jello. She wouldn't use boiling water.  So we got "Jello rubber" on top of "Jello juice."  Now that's disgusting!

38 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

"OMG, something is wrong with me! I went to pee and it's bright RED! Arrrgghh!" I had to laugh, "It's ok honey, we had beets for dinner last night, remember?"

They say people are turned off by blue food, but it looks like red food's the real problem.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

The only thing I got from the Shingle Shot was a sore arm for a couple of days, nothing else.  I won't get the second shot until September or October.   I was told that I had to get the second shot before six months have gone by from the previous shot.

Same for my husband. He didn't feel really any affects at all.

• Love 1

I roasted fresh beets once. While I was eating, I left the pan atop the stove with more beets and their exuded liquid still in it.  The late, great Scooter thought this would be an excellent time to survey the kitchen counters. Oh, look, here's something to stand in and sniff...  I had purply-red cat pawprints all over the Formica that NEVER came off.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I roasted fresh beets once. While I was eating, I left the pan atop the stove with more beets and their exuded liquid still in it.  The late, great Scooter thought this would be an excellent time to survey the kitchen counters. Oh, look, here's something to stand in and sniff...  I had purply-red cat pawprints all over the Formica that NEVER came off.

I found out about beet juice by deciding to take the liquid out of a jar of pickled beets and trying to dye eggs with it. Never came out of my parents counter tops either.

• LOL 6
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I found out about beet juice by deciding to take the liquid out of a jar of pickled beets and trying to dye eggs with it. Never came out of my parents counter tops either.

I used Crystal Light fruit punch, I think, flavor to dye white fabric a lovely light rose. Also something that can stain counters, etc.

5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The drink is brutal, absolutely brutal. 

I am sorry you had to go through that.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, susannah said:

I used Crystal Light fruit punch, I think, flavor to dye white fabric a lovely light rose. Also something that can stain counters, etc.

I am sorry you had to go through that.

Eleven year old me once decided to go blond, so I used yellow food coloring. It kinda worked but then I was out walking with my friends and it started to rain. Yellow food coloring running all over my clothes, face, everywhere.

• LOL 4

Just a few things about the mail-in box test in lieu of the colonoscopy's. I had to do that this year. Because of so many other things needing medical attention earlier this year, the thought of a colonoscopy was stressing me beyond my ability to cope. So my doctor had me do the other test. It's not bad. The gross factor, on a scale of 1-10 is 1. You have to have a clean toilet, but not just cleaned yesterday with chemicals. There are instructions to follow and I won't go into to those, but the gist of it is, you swipe a cotton swab along the top of the toilet water after you've done what you need to. Put the swab in an envelope and mail it. That's it, easy. When I was given the test to do it was with the understanding I would do a colonoscopy next year, but I've since been diagnosed with breast cancer and have decided I am not doing invasive treatments, so I don't know that I will do the colonoscopy or not. My doctor is aware of my decision and is supportive of me. I was concerned when I went in the hospital Memorial Day weekend that I would meet with resistance from the medical staff, but everyone was supportive. It was weird to agree to a DNR when I had an infected wisdom tooth, but it's now on record. I want to make those decisions while I am able. 

• Love 2

thank you, I've accepted most of it, I still have moments when i rail against fate, but I'll be 71 in a few weeks, I expected to live to 100 because of my Grandmothers, (101 and 96 when they passed), my Mom was 79, but was a heavy smoker most of her life, but it is what it is. I'm not in any pain or discomfort right now and I've been reassured that when the time comes, I'll be taken care of. That's about all any of us can hope for. 

• Love 12
33 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

thank you, I've accepted most of it, I still have moments when i rail against fate, but I'll be 71 in a few weeks, I expected to live to 100 because of my Grandmothers, (101 and 96 when they passed), my Mom was 79, but was a heavy smoker most of her life, but it is what it is. I'm not in any pain or discomfort right now and I've been reassured that when the time comes, I'll be taken care of. That's about all any of us can hope for. 

I hope I can be as graceful as you are. My mom was. At 83, she got  incurable cancer and opted for physician assisted death. She was very calm and the last thing I remember about her was going into her room and seeing her asleep. Suddenly she opened her eyes, as green and clear as they had been in her youth. She gave me the biggest smile, it was like the sun coming out from behind a dark cloud. This is how I remember her.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Just a few things about the mail-in box test in lieu of the colonoscopy's. I had to do that this year. Because of so many other things needing medical attention earlier this year, the thought of a colonoscopy was stressing me beyond my ability to cope. So my doctor had me do the other test. It's not bad. The gross factor, on a scale of 1-10 is 1. You have to have a clean toilet, but not just cleaned yesterday with chemicals. There are instructions to follow and I won't go into to those, but the gist of it is, you swipe a cotton swab along the top of the toilet water after you've done what you need to. Put the swab in an envelope and mail it. That's it, easy. When I was given the test to do it was with the understanding I would do a colonoscopy next year, but I've since been diagnosed with breast cancer and have decided I am not doing invasive treatments, so I don't know that I will do the colonoscopy or not. My doctor is aware of my decision and is supportive of me. I was concerned when I went in the hospital Memorial Day weekend that I would meet with resistance from the medical staff, but everyone was supportive. It was weird to agree to a DNR when I had an infected wisdom tooth, but it's now on record. I want to make those decisions while I am able. 

I opted for the mail-in too (but a different test), for my last test.  My last colonoscopy ended with me going into anaphylactic shock, the emergency room doctors being called in and ending in an overnight stay in the hospital (fortunately they finished the test before I turned blue). 

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The Borg episodes were my favorite from Star Trek: The Next Generation series..  I especially like the episode involving Hugh.

A friend of mine is a Q fanatic.  I got him a Cameo from John deLancie for his birthday.  He said it was the best present he'd ever received.

• Love 5
On 7/28/2021 at 6:00 PM, peacheslatour said:

Eleven year old me once decided to go blond, so I used yellow food coloring. It kinda worked but then I was out walking with my friends and it started to rain. Yellow food coloring running all over my clothes, face, everywhere.

IDK how old you are, but this made me recall my early years in high school (1994/95) and girls dying their hair with Kool Aid...

And adding to the Jell-o commentary, would you believe that I am now officially middle-aged and have never even TRIED it? Since my childhood I have always found the mere look of Jell-o to be repulsive and avoided it. Luckily no one in my home was big on it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

IDK how old you are, but this made me recall my early years in high school (1994/95) and girls dying their hair with Kool Aid...

I used to work with a woman who used a lot of styling gel when she put her hair in curlers. She ran out and substituted strawberry Jell-O. The next day she went with her family to a state park and was chased by bees who wanted to be in her hair.  This woman was a constant source of amusement for the rest of the workplace.  She'd read that to put a little spice back into your marriage, fill your bathtub with Jell-O.  She did.  Congealed Jell-O does not go down the drain easily.  She tried pouring hot water down the "overflow" tube and ended up calling somebody to come clean out the septic tank. Needless to say, her husband was not happy.  I wonder if they're still married.

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I used to work with a woman who used a lot of styling gel when she put her hair in curlers. She ran out and substituted strawberry Jell-O. The next day she went with her family to a state park and was chased by bees who wanted to be in her hair.

That reminds me of some internet personality I followed ages ago who decided to dye his hair bright pink, and whatever they used resulted in it smelling syrupy as well for a few days. He went hiking right after having it done and discovered that to bees his head looked and smelled like the biggest, brightest flower they'd ever seen.

• LOL 6
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Weren't the Borg some sort of virus or were they more like insects?

The original concept for the Borg had them loosely based on insects, hence the "hive" mind and late the Borg Queen.   By the end though they had turned into space zombies.  Don't let them inject (bite) you or you'll turn into one! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/27/2021 at 3:13 PM, icemiser69 said:

Where I grew up as a kid, that town and a nearby city had trick-or-treat on back to back nights.  A lot of my classmates went to both and came home with two pillowcases full of candy.  Back then pillowcases were used, not plastic pumpkins.

Really, I don't think any kid needs pillowcases full of candy! When I was a kid we also took pillowcases, we never had any store bought Halloween costumes or accessories, but we lived in a very small town and got nowhere near a full one.

• Love 1

When I went to see "A Star Is Born," two women sitting in the row behind me were both eating foot long Subway subs. The nerve!

We are fortunate to have a drive-in theater in our community that sells really good food in their concession stand. They have a full menu of hamburgers, hot dogs, corn dogs, fries, nachos ... if you're into that sort of thing. The place has changed very little since the 1950s and every time I go there I'm tempted to start a rumor in the ladies bathroom that Rizzo is pregnant.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

When I went to see "A Star Is Born," two women sitting in the row behind me were both eating foot long Subway subs. The nerve!

We are fortunate to have a drive-in theater in our community that sells really good food in their concession stand. They have a full menu of hamburgers, hot dogs, corn dogs, fries, nachos ... if you're into that sort of thing. The place has changed very little since the 1950s and every time I go there I'm tempted to start a rumor in the ladies bathroom that Rizzo is pregnant.

The one that used to be near us had the best pizza I've ever had.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, mmecorday said:

The place has changed very little since the 1950s and every time I go there I'm tempted to start a rumor in the ladies bathroom that Rizzo is pregnant.

But only after swearing to Rizzo you will never tell and making the next person swear they will never tell!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 7/28/2021 at 10:45 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Yes. That's what I had to do the next time. It's actually quicker than the Jello-O/Pills thing that took THREE DAYS to accomplish. And that's when you notice EVERY commercial is about food.  That you can't have.

When I had mine, the two nurses had the unmitigated gall to debate the merits of pumpkin pie made with fresh vs. canned pumpkin.  I was like “Umm, you do know I haven’t had solid food in almost two days, right?”

• Love 2
On 7/29/2021 at 1:24 PM, peacheslatour said:

I hope I can be as graceful as you are. My mom was. At 83, she got  incurable cancer and opted for physician assisted death. She was very calm and the last thing I remember about her was going into her room and seeing her asleep. Suddenly she opened her eyes, as green and clear as they had been in her youth. She gave me the biggest smile, it was like the sun coming out from behind a dark cloud. This is how I remember her.

I'm sorry for the loss of your mother, I do understand, my mother died in 2009 and I miss her. 

And I don't feel graceful at all about accepting cancer. I want to share my feelings about my decisions so that maybe someone else who's going through the diagnosis and trying to decide what to do. My decision is not for everyone, it was mine. If you choose to go through treatment, you go, you are a champ as far as I'm concerned. But get all the information you can and don't let anyone pressure into doing something you're not comfortable with. When I first heard the diagnosis, I broke down and sobbed, my immediate thought was "get out," I'm not sure what that meant, out of life, get the cancer out...I just don't know. But the next thing I did was what is not recommended, I started reading, I joined a couple of breast cancer survivor groups on FB and those (mostly) women scared the h**l out of me! I had told a friend before my biopsy that I wasn't afraid of dying, that's going to happen to all of no matter what we want and it just is. I think getting older changes your perspective about death. What I was afraid of is being a human lab experiment, being stuck with needles, being cut.

The only surgeries I've ever had was a tonsillectomy when I was 5 and oral surgery as an adult, neither all that invasive and no scars. I'm terrified of surgery. So, when I got the diagnosis, all I could think was I was going to cut, mutilated, then burned in radiation and then have an appliance attached to my body semi-permanently, lose all my hair, get fatter, be sicker and in more pain than I've ever imagined (I have migraines, I'm not a stranger to being sick and in pain). I was terrified of all that. I do not do well with medical stuff, I can't watch people getting shots on tv, I've learned some coping skills for when I have to have an injection or have blood drawn or get an IV, but I can't do it daily or more often than that. 

One night, a few days after I got the diagnosis, I was stressed beyond stressed and suddenly a little thought came into my head, it said, "you don't have to do that." I went, What? I brought that thought back out and i considered it, and such a feeling of peace and calm came over me. I knew in that moment, that that was the right decision for me. It's been 6 months since I got the results of my mammogram, and started this horrible road. I still feel that is the right decision. At first, I was defiant when I told the first doctor, but I got back so much support and that gave me courage to face more doctors. It is not a decision to be taken lightly, but every person knows their limits and their capabilities, I know mine and I made my decisions based on me. 

Am I happy I have cancer? HELL NO! I'm pissed off, but I have it and that's the way it is. 

• Love 13

(((@friendperidot))) I respect your choice it is your life, your choice. 

I had my encounter with breast cancer in 2013. My mother died from the treatments for her breast cancer in 1988. I waited for the shoe to drop and when it did, I attacked. My cancer was small and very early. They recommended a lumpectomy as it was small and early. Then radiation and maybe chemo.  Given my family history I opted for a double mastectomy no reconstruction and no further treatment.  I got some pushback from the doctors but was resolute. The treatment was what killed my mom. Saw the oncologist  for six years with a clean bill of health and I am here 8 years later cancer free. Flat and fabulous!

We each make our own decision on how to deal with this and it is up to only the person going through it.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

We each make our own decision on how to deal with this and it is up to only the person going through it.

Absolutely.  Cancer treatment is no small thing, and those whose personal evaluation comes out in favor of skipping it are not "giving up" or anything else negative.  They're asserting what little measure of control they have over a horrible situation foisted upon them in the way that works best for them. 

My mom's breast cancer battle began nearly 30 years ago, and has involved two metastases (one sent into remission for many years, but this latest of a few years back never will be and we're just running out the clock with treatment that stops, and then slows, progression); unless she gets hit by a bus, that's what is going to kill her, and she's lucky to be on the right side of scientific odds in that it hasn't yet.

I hope she'll opt for physician-assisted death when the time comes, but whatever she wants I will support her choice, whatever its toll on me (really, how much differing degree of horrible can there be in losing your mom when she's a proper parent?) -- within reason, people need to control their own lives as they see fit, and they sure as hell deserve to determine their own deaths.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

At the drive-ins, my neighbors used to bring in their own paper bags full of popcorn.

I remember Mom borrowing Nana's "Scotch Cooler" to take beverages to the drive-in. It was round and had the ugliest yellow plaid on the outside. And it was too big. Being the little kid in the family, they put it in the footwell of my side of the back seat and I had to place to put my feet! Mom also made us bologna sandwiches for the drive-in. We NEVER went to the concession stand.  I also remember that stupid spiral "caracol" thing that was anti-mosquito incense. Stunk up the car and didn't really work.  Drive-ins in Miami in the summer were the pits.

{{friendperidot}} I would make the same decision. I'm sorry you have to go through this, but continue to stand up for yourself. How you choose to face this is up to you, not anyone else.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't know who that Rizzo person is.  My guess probably a character from one of the bazillion really popular movies I have never seen.

Rizzo is from Grease. Not a movie person, I take it?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

If Don Knott's wasn't in it then, no.  Just kidding.

I have never been a big fan of going to the movie theater.  Uncomfortable seats, noisy eaters, people sitting around me running their mouths.  On one occasion, a tall dork that parked his huge carcass one seat in front of me, and then he turned around and asked me if I can see over his ginormous head with it's own gravitational pull.   I added the bolden part.  I said he was fine where he sat, and I moved to another seat.  I was tempted to say to him that if he turned his head sideways, I am sure I could see the screen through his ears.   I thought better of it, and kept my pie hole shut.  The dude was huge.  Herman Munster huge, bolts not included.

I would rather go to the drive-ins, but they no longer exist, and haven't for at least the last 30 years where I live. 

I haven't been to a theater in ages and years, and I hear you about people talking, etc. I like to watch movies on dvd.

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

would rather go to the drive-ins, but they no longer exist, and haven't for at least the last 30 years where I live. 

there's one about 5 miles from where I live.  OUt of curiousity I looked it up and there are 325 operating drive ins in the US.

• Useful 4
13 hours ago, icemiser69 said:
On 7/30/2021 at 1:59 AM, susannah said:

Really, I don't think any kid needs pillowcases full of candy!

I'm not sure what need has to do with it!  😂 We used pillowcases when I was a kid and it was awesome.  My mom felt very much like I felt with my kids, stuff your face for a couple of days, then it was gone.  I never understood why parents tried to ration the Halloween candy by giving their kid one or two candies a day.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I'm not sure what need has to do with it!  😂 We used pillowcases when I was a kid and it was awesome.  My mom felt very much like I felt with my kids, stuff your face for a couple of days, then it was gone.  I never understood why parents tried to ration the Halloween candy by giving their kid one or two candies a day.

Well that's why there are different kinds of parenting. No one way is right for everyone.

I never knew why parents ate some of their kids' candy when their kids did all of the work going house to house begging for it.

Work?😃 Yeah ringing the doorbell and saying trick or treat is hard labor all right! I don't think there is anything wrong with parents having some of the candy, not all of course.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

It sounds like you might have taken a candy bar or two from a kid's pile of candy?😲😁

Moi?😲 Never! as I don't have children. But when I was a kid, if the folks wanted any particular piece, I would have given it to them.

7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Note to self.  When weeding the garden, you look like a fool when you run out of the garden, because a few aggressive worms weren't too thrilled with you weeding and as a result started chasing you.   Slithering things, no matter how small, scare the crap out of me.

You were being chased by WORMS? I can truthfully say I have never heard of such a thing. I am glad you escaped!

• Love 3

I have the complete series of Chicago Fire on DVD.  I have watched the first two seasons and have started the third.  What is nice about those DVDs, is that from what I have seen so far, it includes the crossover episodes from other series.  There are no gaps.  Story lines play out in full.   I don't think that is true when watching the episodes in syndication on ION.   I think it is just a straight binge of Chicago Fire episodes on ION.

I tried watching this show, I really did. As a huge fan of Emergency! I was hoping for something similar but it seems like all they do is drink beer, party and screw each other. YMMV

• Love 2