Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I cannot stand the commercial for the prescription drug used to treat Thyroid Eye Disease with the woman with the dozens of sunglasses just because she reminds me so much of Laura from "90-Day Fiance" and I'm so afraid she's going to start talking about Al-uh-den.

It freaks me out because I picture this:

image.png.ba7fea22077f4733d85304bcd3dd3355.png

• LOL 6
21 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

No food or drinks in the swimming pool!  Also, I'm sick of chicks dancing with their arms up showing their armpits.  Don't they have other moves?

Especially that (Priceline?) chick in the blue slinky dress "dancing" like an enraged TRex. She is the very definition of graceless, not to mention rude by blocking the luggage cart bellhop.

20 hours ago, CoderLady said:

Thank you! It IS "You're darn tootin'." Haven't their scriptwriters ever seen a '40s Western?

Or they could have gone with "You're darn right." Either would work.

Excuse me, but I think the phrase is "Yer dern tootin!"  Thank you, Gabby Hayes.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

Randolph Scott!

It;s been too long since I watched Blazing Saddles. It must be streaming somewhere. When it first came out, I had such a crush on Gene Wilder that I kept going to see it and had the dialogue memorized.

Doing the French Mistake...

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Especially that (Priceline?) chick in the blue slinky dress "dancing" like an enraged TRex. She is the very definition of graceless, not to mention rude by blocking the luggage cart bellhop.

Excuse me, but I think the phrase is "Yer dern tootin!"  Thank you, Gabby Hayes.

A T-Rex would have a prettier face, the self-absorbed twit.

• LOL 3
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

"an enraged TRex." hahahahahaha! She really needs to take her big deal self somewhere out of the way. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That chick thinks she's so cool.  "Enraged TRex is the perfect description of her lame ass, pitiful dancing.

• Love 2
(edited)

I've always been mildly annoyed when the Brits use "cow" as a pejorative for a female, but it totally fits that woman. She's an enraged cow TRex. In a slinky blue dress.

...but I bet if we saw her in some likeable commercial, we wouldn't recognize her.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've always been mildly annoyed when the Brits use "cow" as a pejorative for a female, but it totally fits that woman. She's an enraged cow TRex. In a slinky blue dress.

...but I bet if we saw her in some likeable commercial, we wouldn't recognize her.

Female is an adjective. I would prefer women just be called women.

• Love 10

What is with the Gardasil 9 actor? He's so angry...his tone, his lack of smiling, he's practically shoving runners after the race out of his way...and then his final COMMAND to protect myself. Ok HPV guy I get it. Or rather, I don't. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It could also be a noun

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 1

why is putting "bad words" becoming a thing? Like it gets your attention? "kick pain in the Aspercreme". The "shark week ad" that ends with "you bet your ass." The ad for some kind of pet product "because shed happens."

I mean, are we all twelve years old?

• Love 13
5 hours ago, dleighg said:

why is putting "bad words" becoming a thing? Like it gets your attention? "kick pain in the Aspercreme". The "shark week ad" that ends with "you bet your ass." The ad for some kind of pet product "because shed happens."

I mean, are we all twelve years old?

I couldn't agree more. I have seen book titles for "S*** My Father Says" and several containing the word "F***." Now I have just seen the title "Kevin can F*** Himself." I think it is beyond crude, appalling and attempting to appear 'relevant" by pandering to the lowest level of immaturity.

On 6/18/2021 at 6:10 PM, peacheslatour said:

I agree. The only time female should be used as a noun is when animals/insects are being referred to.

• Love 8

I hate the American Funniest Home Videos: Animal Edition commercial which features all these animals and their humans getting hurt for laughs. The worst IMO is the one in which this tiny girl follows a pet under a low fence and  bangs her neck on it. Not only don't I think that that's the least bit funny but what kind of parents/guardians would share that for the purpose of getting cheap laughs at their child's injury? 

FWIW: I never liked the original show either (and never thought the videos shown were funny instead meanspirited and cruel-  regardless of the ratings). 

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Blergh said:

I hate the American Funniest Home Videos: Animal Edition commercial which features all these animals and their humans getting hurt for laughs. The worst IMO is the one in which this tiny girl follows a pet under a low fence and  bangs her neck on it. Not only don't I think that that's the least bit funny but what kind of parents/guardians would share that for the purpose of getting cheap laughs at their child's injury? 

FWIW: I never liked the original show either (and never thought the videos shown were funny instead meanspirited and cruel-  regardless of the ratings). 

I used to watch AFV now and then ages and years ago, even though I never understood what was funny about people possibly hurting themselves or humiliating themselves. When I saw the episode where a kid was sledding and ran into a rock, his face dripping blood, I never watched it or anything like it again. What is wrong with people?

• Love 9
11 hours ago, susannah said:

I couldn't agree more. I have seen book titles for "S*** My Father Says" and several containing the word "F***." Now I have just seen the title "Kevin can F*** Himself." I think it is beyond crude, appalling and attempting to appear 'relevant" by pandering to the lowest level of immaturity.

I tentatively agree, but an exception should be made for Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23, which I wish could have used its original, un-blanked title.

• Love 1
On 4/29/2021 at 1:26 AM, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

Start TV: 'In Plain Sight's marshal Mary Shannon takes no prisoners... " 

Me: Okay, first of all, no, she doesn't up and frikken kill people who are trying to surrender. She's a federal marshal, not an assassin. Secondly, she's in the witness protection division so she doesn't even take prisoners very often. Most of the time she just guards witnesses, kibbitzes in their lives, and grouses at people. Have you even watched this show? Who writes this stuff, for crissakes? 

I don't know why this makes me so irate. 

I love In Plain Sight.  Wish I had this Start TV that you speak of, but it doesn't appear to be on my system. Dang.

On 5/21/2021 at 4:46 PM, peacheslatour said:

Comcast Business ad. Goddamit, Pete. Don't you have enough money? You're gonna sell Baba O'Rily?

I feel happy every time I hear the beginning of that song, but not when it's a commercial.  Goddammit Pete is right. 

• Love 2

The Domino’s commercial I just saw refers to the Noid as if everyone just already knows what it is. Wasn’t that Noid a thing 30 years ago? Or has Domino’s been using it since then and I haven’t noticed?

Also, it’s dumb.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

There’s a Glowforge ad that’s been airing recently, and it’s beginning to get on my last nerve. 

“Everyone knows that homemade is better!”

No, it’s not. 

The Glowforge people are welcome to fly out here in their homemade airplanes and change my mind.  But only if they’re wearing homemade shoes and carrying homemade cell phones when they arrive. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

The Domino’s commercial I just saw refers to the Noid as if everyone just already knows what it is. Wasn’t that Noid a thing 30 years ago? Or has Domino’s been using it since then and I haven’t noticed?

Also, it’s dumb.

I remember it because I'm old enough to have seen the original ads, but no, I don't believe they have used it since then. And yes, it was dumb back then, and it is still dumb.

• Love 9

I don't care one way or the other now, but I loved the noid commercials as a teen.  I thought he was cute.  Of course, Domino's wouldn't have cared a lick what I thought of their advertising as I don't think there was a dominos within a 50 mile radius and I never had a pizza from there until college (pretty sure that was after the noid campaign was over with).

• Love 1

I mostly dislike the commercial, but I do love her "Why would I say condor?" reaction when he misunderstands her.

I think Charlie needs one of those Eargo things too, because I have no idea why he can't hear her clear as day from where he is.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)

I did notice one thing when I saw the Noid commercial approximately 900 times last night (what was I even watching? I think it was Forensic Files. Anyway...): the noise that he makes when he bounces back up into the air and out of the frame. Is it supposed to be an actual word? I have no idea, but it's funny. 

There was another annoying commercial that I kept seeing on this channel last night too, but I have since forgotten it!

Edited by TattleTeeny

Just slightly annoyed: Johnnie Walker has a bright yellow background. When I saw the first commercial, the one immediately following it was Good RX, which uses the same shade of yellow.  As does LiMu - get those three in a row and you can get really confused. There's a fourth one that uses that shade of yellow, but I can't recall what it was.

(edited)

This is the commercial I couldn’t think of before! I have so many questions.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/nETC/quilted-northern-little-comforts-bedroom

Why would the toilet paper be kept in the bedroom? Why would someone need to be at their parents’ home to have this kind of toilet paper? And how could someone prefer it to the cute old rabbit (not to mention, why would someone not take that rabbit to their own home when they moved out)?!

ETA: I say this assuming we are seeing an adult staying in her “childhood bedroom,” otherwise why say “childhood”? But even if it is a kid’s current room, my first and third questions remain!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Why would the toilet paper be kept in the bedroom?

Because when you hoarded it all at the beginning of the pandemic, that was the only place you had space to store it.

• LOL 15
  • Love 1

The woman in the Restasis commercial who makes sourdough bread, screen prints her own T-shirts, tricks out an old jeep with new headlights and still has time to paint her bathroom makes me feel like a lazy bum. Also, I always think it's going to be one of those commercials for people with bipolar disorder and I'm like, "Why is she going to an eye doctor for treatment of her bipolar disorder?"

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, RedElf said:

So apparently, if you have nothing in the pantry or refrigerator to eat, except for mayonnaise, magically, food appears out of thin air

It does if you subscribe to HungyRoot!  Fills your whole refrigerator with plastic containers of pre-chopped food, apparently.

• Love 2
On 6/21/2021 at 3:35 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Also, it’s dumb.

Believe it or not, there was a time when the Noid was a big fad.  One year at Halloween we trick-or-treated at a house that was giving out Domino's coupons with little Noid plushies. and we thought it was awesome. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 6/22/2021 at 1:03 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Haha, so younger people seeing that commercial are probably thinking “what in the fuck are they taking about? Whose old tricks? And what is a Noid?”

Older people from NYC are thinking the same thing.  We didn't have Domino's pizza back then so we didn't get their commercials.  I didn't even know what Domino's pizza was until at least a decade later.  Of course since then Domino's has expanded and is everywhere, including NYC.  That always boggles my mind because there is so much great, authentic pizza in NY, why would anyone seek out Domino's?  But obviously there is no accounting for taste, LOL.  Yes, I own up to being a pizza snob from way back!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, eyelash said:

Believe it or not, there was a time when the Noid was a big fad.  One year at Halloween we trick-or-treated at a house that was giving out Domino's coupons with little Noid plushies. and we thought it was awesome. 

I know—I remember it. But they way the commercial is worded, there’s no (re)introduction of it; it’s just referred to as if everyone already knows what a Noid is (eg, “old tricks”—I’m thinking there is a ton of people in a certain age group who have no idea what those tricks even were, and this commercial doesn’t even say).

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I know—I remember it. But they way the commercial is worded, there’s no (re)introduction of it; it’s just referred to as if everyone already knows what a Noid is (eg, “old tricks”—I’m thinking there is a ton of people in a certain age group who have no idea what those tricks even were, and this commercial doesn’t even say).

My also NYC born 65 year old husband had to google it to find out and gave me the lowdown.  Otherwise we'd still be in the dark.  We have also been annoyed that the commercial itself didn't clue us in.

Speaking of references to the past in commercials that young people wouldn't get, the trend now to resurrect every mediocre pop hit going back to the 1960s is getting a little annoying.  Seriously, "Build me up, Buttercup"???  I was obviously laboring under the false impression for several decades now that I'd never be forced to listen to that song again, LOL.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Seriously, "Build me up, Buttercup"???  I was obviously laboring under the false impression for several decades now that I'd never be forced to listen to that song again, LOL.

That's one of those songs that puts me in a good mood every time I hear it (and, like the person in one of those commercials, I must sing along), so sometimes it comes along just when I need it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 18

I agree, while many commercials with licensed songs set my teeth on edge, that one has the opposite effect. That, the Prius commercial that uses "Let Your Love Flow," and the Samsung commercial with the whole crowd singing "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" always put a smile on my face.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's one of those songs that puts me in a good mood every time I hear it (and, like the person in one of those commercials, I must sing along), so sometimes it comes along just when I need it.

Me too. I'm also a fan of the All State ad that uses Our House by Madness.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Bastet said:

It came along at a time when a lot of popular music was getting too bubble-gummy for my evolving tastes.  We had the Archies, the Cowsills and Bobby Sherman all juxtaposed with the Stones, Creedence and the later Beatles at that time.  A lot of contrasts!  I looked upon the pop stuff as part of my childhood while the other groups and their music were more in line with my aspirational adulthood....

• Love 4