Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

7 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

We have a historic movie theater in Baltimore, it had been family owned for a zillion years, the son took over operations and such, he gave a talk before a movie premiere and mentioned about people bringing in their own food, specifically the person that managed to pick thru a dozen steamed crabs during a movie and left the remains neatly in a paper bag...that takes guts!

The Senator?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

Oh, how much cheaper it would have been just to give you the ice.  Probably an 18 year old manager who couldn't think his way out of the problem.  I used to work in fast food and the cups were definitely counted, which is why we could drink the pop but had to use our own mugs.

They don't give 18 year old managers the autonomy to make decisions on things like that. Typical corporate-think. Save a nickel, lose a dollar.

2 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I have read that as well, though I have a hard time believing at $15/person or whatever it is for a movie these days they can't make money (obviously this is a pre-covid situation.)  Either way - Coke syrup and carbonated water are almost free.  I understand charging a little more to make money, but $5 for a drink or $3 for a chocolate bar I could buy at Dollarama for $0.82 is just asking me to bring my own.  I don't really care for movie popcorn but will go in on one if my companion wants to share and that is egregiously priced enough that I don't feel at all bad that I brought my own drink and candy in my purse. 

I've never seen the appeal of eating at the movies. I go to a movie to immerse myself in another world. If I want to eat, I go to a restaurant or eat at home.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I have read that as well, though I have a hard time believing at $15/person or whatever it is for a movie these days they can't make money (obviously this is a pre-covid situation.)  Either way - Coke syrup and carbonated water are almost free.  I understand charging a little more to make money, but $5 for a drink or $3 for a chocolate bar I could buy at Dollarama for $0.82 is just asking me to bring my own.  I don't really care for movie popcorn but will go in on one if my companion wants to share and that is egregiously priced enough that I don't feel at all bad that I brought my own drink and candy in my purse. 

Most of the money from ticket sales goes to the distributor, not the theater.

• Like 8

I hate the Jimmy Johns commercial with Brad Garrett. I don't like the actor at the best of times, but I absolutely despise him in these. Plus, the whole campaign is dumb. Watching some dickhead shout at people in unchecked rage is not an inducement to buy your product.

• Like 12

On 7/29/2021 at 8:53 PM, SnarkySheep said:

My friend manages a movie theatre - he says it's absolutely not forbidden to bring your own snacks. However, this is a misconception they don't want to correct, as theatres make the bulk of their profits through snacks.

Taken over to small talk.

21 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I hate the Jimmy Johns commercial with Brad Garrett. I don't like the actor at the best of times, but I absolutely despise him in these. Plus, the whole campaign is dumb. Watching some dickhead shout at people in unchecked rage is not an inducement to buy your product.

They are trying to distract from their terrible sandwiches.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 3

Trelegy.  As soon as I hear that annoying song "Birds Flying High" I go for the mute button.  

Edited by knuckles491 · Reason: typo
  • Like 4

On 7/30/2021 at 11:39 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Oh my gosh! I wondered why he seemed familiar! 

I have to admit that hearing him call it "Jimmy's John's" amuses me.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 5:32 PM, peacheslatour said:

I wouldn't use a Kardashian affiliated product to clean my toilet.

Neither would most toilets, I'm guessing. 

I'd watch Eddie Jackson boil hotdogs.

I'd watch Eddie Jackson boil water.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 6

13 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I have to admit that hearing him call it "Jimmy's John's" amuses me.

"Jimmy's John" is a more appropriate name for their sandwiches.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 5

I'm so tired of the Mikayla Maroney flips up onto the house to get the frisbee ad.  I think it's GEICO?  I don't think I've noticed this ad outside of the Olympics, but I am hoping it goes away after the Olympics.  I just don't understand the fascination with her and her smirk.  She was inadvertently caught on camera looking like a bratty sore loser.  Instead of getting called out on her unsportsmanlike conduct, she gets praised for it and has the President of the US asking her to smirk for him.

And here she is, NINE YEARS LATER, still milking this bit of fame over this stupid smirk.  Where are all of the Gabby Douglass commercials?  You know, the All Around Gold Medalist from the same year?

• Like 8

2 hours ago, blackwing said:

I'm so tired of the Mikayla Maroney flips up onto the house to get the frisbee ad.  I think it's GEICO?  I don't think I've noticed this ad outside of the Olympics, but I am hoping it goes away after the Olympics.  I just don't understand the fascination with her and her smirk.  She was inadvertently caught on camera looking like a bratty sore loser.  Instead of getting called out on her unsportsmanlike conduct, she gets praised for it and has the President of the US asking her to smirk for him.

And here she is, NINE YEARS LATER, still milking this bit of fame over this stupid smirk.  Where are all of the Gabby Douglass commercials?  You know, the All Around Gold Medalist from the same year?

I almost commented about that ad the other night. I don't remember why she made that face in the moment, but I'm so over her flipping to the roof. And those guys can get their own dang frisbee. (And yes, it's Geico.)

• Like 5

Coffee Mate (?) ad - “I’ve had a cup or two….hundred?”  Two hundred cups of coffee is supposed to make him an expert?  That’s about two months of cups of coffee for me, maybe less. Don’t see how that makes anyone an expert,completely don’t get it. Two hundred cups, you’re a total newbie. 

• Like 8
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

4 hours ago, blackwing said:

It is interesting, it is about the only commercial right now that I do like.

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I almost commented about that ad the other night. I don't remember why she made that face in the moment, but I'm so over her flipping to the roof. And those guys can get their own dang frisbee. (And yes, it's Geico.)

The dipshit intentionally threw the Frisbee back onto the roof and expected her to flip herself back on to the roof to get it.

That commercial was very relatable, probably why I like it.  As a kid I have had all sorts of toys end up on my parents roof.  Frisbees, water-rockets, badminton birdies.  If I could throw it in the air, chances are it landed on my parent's roof.

If the toys didn't land on the roof, they landed in an evergreen tree.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

It is interesting, it is about the only commercial right now that I do like.

The dipshit intentionally threw the Frisbee back onto the roof and expected her to flip herself back on to the roof to get it.

That commercial was very relatable, probably why I like it.  As a kid I have had all sorts of toys end up on my parents roof.  Frisbees, water-rockets, badminton birdies.  If I could throw it in the air, chances are it landed on my parent's roof.

If the toys didn't land on the roof, they landed in an evergreen tree.

I don't actually hate the commercial, I've just seen it too many times (they're running it on youtube a lot, too). 

For all I know, there is still a volleyball in my parents' neighbor's tree from that day we played kickball and someone kicked it a little too hard (probably the neighbor's son; their kids all played soccer).

• Laugh 4

The Slack commercials are driving me batty.  We use Slack at work so I am attuned to the sound made when you get a new Slack message.  They keep playing it during the commercial which makes me check my Slack.  Stop it!  Stop it now!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Laugh 6

I just started watching shows on Start TV a couple months ago after signing up for a multi month YouTube TV deal. There's this commercial for Healthy Wager with a woman crying about reaching her goal weight which drives me up a wall now because of how many times I've seen it. I've been letting shows record on there and watching them an hour later or at a later time just so I don't have to see it and all the other predatory commercials directed at older people. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 3

I've been letting shows record on there and watching them an hour later or at a later time just so I don't have to see it and all the other predatory commercials directed at older people. 

Watching TV these days makes me feel old.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Shaq buried in cement is really stupid.

I dunno, maybe he'd stop making so many commercials.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 10

1 hour ago, madmax said:

I dunno, maybe he'd stop making so many commercials.

Right? It seems like he's in every commercial right now. I'm afraid it's going to reach critical mass and then we'll all be screwed.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 8

I see this ad for the iPhone 12 non-stop when I watch something on streaming or OnDemand with commercials. It drives me right up a wall. No offense to anyone who likes this singer, whoever it may be, but her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. It's is just so ear-shatteringly whiny and twangy. "Serrrr-cheeeng." 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I keep seeing this one. It's for "Jackery" which is some sort of battery that lets you run your "essential items" in a power outage (like your dvd payer and your lamp, not inessential things like furnaces and refrigerators LOL). The thing that annoys me is the initial look of terror on mom's face, then she brings her children under her metaphorical wings, calming them, while heroic father springs to the rescue (as any red-blooded male would do), grabbing the Jackery from the family room closet, and PLUGGING THOSE ESSENTIAL ITEMS IN!

• Laugh 3

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

No offense to anyone who likes this singer, whoever it may be, but her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. It's is just so ear-shatteringly whiny and twangy. "Serrrr-cheeeng."

That's Kitty Wells.  She was country music royalty, but her voice is definitely not for everyone.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Right? It seems like he's in every commercial right now. I'm afraid it's going to reach critical mass and then we'll all be screwed.

He is on the Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes® with Crispy Cinnamon Basketballs cereal box.   I bought the cereal.  I hope the cinnamon basketballs don't bounce out of the bowl.

I am at the point where if I like the item I will buy it regardless of who is cast in the commercials.

That said, the same commercials are run over and over again.  I may not hate them the first six or seven times I see them, but after that I get really annoyed.

I think it is the lack of creativity that gets to me more than anything else.

I would love to see the Chantix turkey driving the car with the Geico squealing pig in the back seat.   That would be cool. 

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 7

I have another ad that I really dislike, for Cricket. The mother of a teen girl is wearing supertight clothes and shaking it for TikTok or whatever. The girl is embarrassed to death and she just shrugs and says "you have a cool mom." First off, what she is doing isn't cool, and showing her daughter that she should act like that isn't cool either. Another that I don't really dislike is the dancing Huggies baby, but they are showing it twenty times a day and that is getting annoying!

• Like 7

Zebit.  According to the ad, you're deep in debt with a basement-level credit score. Get Zebit and we'll allow you to get even DEEPER in debt.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

Oh! I hate with fire the ad for some health food fiber supplement that refuses to say the word "poop," but all the women say it and are like, "Voiceover guy, you can say the word!" 

I hate it because it insinuates that bodily functions are inappropriate. I googled "commercial about poop," and found it. Clearly people feel the same way I do, because Muse wrote an article about it! You can see the censored and non-censored versions.

• Like 3

Y'know, I don't care if they say poop or shit or whatever. I just don't want to hear it in a commercial on my TV. THAT's what's inappropriate.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 13

56 minutes ago, AnnieBananie said:

Oh! I hate with fire the ad for some health food fiber supplement that refuses to say the word "poop," but all the women say it and are like, "Voiceover guy, you can say the word!" 

I hate it because it insinuates that bodily functions are inappropriate. I googled "commercial about poop," and found it. Clearly people feel the same way I do, because Muse wrote an article about it! You can see the censored and non-censored versions.

I agree with you that using that language shouldn't be an issue, and yes bodily functions are a part of life.  But, there are far too many of those commercials, and they shouldn't run during the dinner hour.

I was puking up a storm over the weekend, sick as a dog.  Dizzy, could barely stand up, and all I got on every channel I turned to was food commercials which made me want to puke even more.  I just couldn't get away from those commercials.  It is funny that I didn't really notice all of those food commercials until I got sick.

• Sad 4

On 7/29/2021 at 8:14 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

It's a shame Mr. Whipple died. I'd rather see him squeezing the Charmin on his deathbed than see those damn red or blue bears.

Funny you should say that… I was just thinking earlier this week that they should reboot the Mr. Whipple commercials. I mean, they’ve done the same with the Maytag Repairman. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I agree with you that using that language shouldn't be an issue, and yes bodily functions are a part of life.  But, there are far too many of those commercials, and they shouldn't run during the dinner hour.

I was puking up a storm over the weekend, sick as a dog.  Dizzy, could barely stand up, and all I got on every channel I turned to was food commercials which made me want to puke even more.  I just couldn't get away from those commercials.  It is funny that I didn't really notice all of those food commercials until I got sick.

I'm sorry you're ailing.  Although, I would rather puke than be dizzy.

Occasionally, I see those GOLO ads - "Why can't I lose weight?" and every time I see them, I'm eating something. Well, that might be an answer right there.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 9
  • Surprise 1

On 8/3/2021 at 4:38 AM, Jaded said:

I just started watching shows on Start TV a couple months ago after signing up for a multi month YouTube TV deal. There's this commercial for Healthy Wager with a woman crying about reaching her goal weight which drives me up a wall now because of how many times I've seen it. I've been letting shows record on there and watching them an hour later or at a later time just so I don't have to see it and all the other predatory commercials directed at older people. 

I keep forgetting to post about this one.  OMG woman, bring it down a few dozen notches.  Good for her for losing weight and that it's improved her self image but seriously woman, you did not cure cancer (or even COVID).   She needs to pull her shot together.   I get this is supposed to be an "in the moment" documentary, but no way in hell would I let anyone see a video of me acting like--much less allow it to be used on national TV.    

• Like 2

In the Xfinity commercial where everyone is singing the Olympic theme, I find the little girl who is "conducting" them to be a little too intense and frightening!

• Like 4

On 7/29/2021 at 9:14 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

It's a shame Mr. Whipple died. I'd rather see him squeezing the Charmin on his deathbed than see those damn red or blue bears.

At the very least the bears ought to act like other respectable bears, and rub their asses on trees or park rangers.  Worst case scenario, use a few pine cones.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Laugh 11

13 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

In the Xfinity commercial where everyone is singing the Olympic theme, I find the little girl who is "conducting" them to be a little too intense and frightening!

I'd never seen that one before; it's cute.  The little girl just looks like a conductor to me - imitating what she's seen them do.

• Like 6

On 8/3/2021 at 2:35 PM, peacheslatour said:

I admit that I laughed at the one where his friends abandoned him in the woods just because he told them about the General.

• Like 1

Allstate insurance with the woman in the car skipping rope with some little girls.  Not only is it unutterably stupid, it gives me motion sickness.

• Like 6

On 8/4/2021 at 4:08 PM, icemiser69 said:

The same thing happened to me recently.  I find food ads disgusting at the best of times - gross fast food, cheap pizzas, etc.  The last thing I want to see when I'm throwing up round the clock is Olive Garden's gloopy pasta.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I am usually annoyed at the Shriner's Hospital commercials because I feel they're exploiting their patients. But I saw one this evening that had me flabbergasted. Alec is in College!!  (He never has learned to pronounce "adorable.") LOL.

• Like 6
  • Surprise 1

10 hours ago, Leeds said:

Allstate insurance with the woman in the car skipping rope with some little girls.  Not only is it unutterably stupid, it gives me motion sickness.

I saw that for the first time last night and noticed the disclaimer, "do not attempt."  Um, ok.  (Are people really that stupid they think they can skip rope in a car?)

• Like 2
  • Laugh 8

53 minutes ago, Haleth said:

(Are people really that stupid they think they can skip rope in a car?)

Yes.  Never underestimate stupidity.

• Like 12

On 8/3/2021 at 1:31 PM, dleighg said:

I keep seeing this one. It's for "Jackery" which is some sort of battery that lets you run your "essential items" in a power outage (like your dvd payer and your lamp, not inessential things like furnaces and refrigerators LOL). The thing that annoys me is the initial look of terror on mom's face, then she brings her children under her metaphorical wings, calming them, while heroic father springs to the rescue (as any red-blooded male would do), grabbing the Jackery from the family room closet, and PLUGGING THOSE ESSENTIAL ITEMS IN!

What gets me is it's still light outside.  There is sunlight through the blinds.  So the great horror is they can't finishing watching a movie, not Grandma is going to trip over the junk you left on the stairs and break a hip.  Not the power outage is from some kind of attack.  Nope.  They were in the middle of watching a movie and the power went out.  The horror!  How will the children survive?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 7

14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I am usually annoyed at the Shriner's Hospital commercials because I feel they're exploiting their patients. But I saw one this evening that had me flabbergasted. Alec is in College!!  (He never has learned to pronounce "adorable.") LOL.

I don't know if their ads exploit the kids, though I get your meaning. I think it is important to let people know what wonderful work they do, and it's hard to do that without showing the kids. It's the same thing, I think, as the often shown commercials for St Jude. Having had two kids in my family die from inoperable brain tumors, I know the importance of making people aware of the work they do to save others. I have seen Alec since he was a kid, and know that he is grown up now. There is another boy that used to appear with him. I don't know if he still does.

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, susannah said:

I don't know if their ads exploit the kids, though I get your meaning. I think it is important to let people know what wonderful work they do, and it's hard to do that without showing the kids. It's the same thing, I think, as the often shown commercials for St Jude. Having had two kids in my family die from inoperable brain tumors, I know the importance of making people aware of the work they do to save others. I have seen Alec since he was a kid, and know that he is grown up now. There is another boy that used to appear with him. I don't know if he still does.

Caleb? He's still doing the ads.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Yeah, and now that ruthless little Caleb is all guns a’blazin’ for Alec’s job! It will be an epic battle, the likes of which we haven’t seen since “Becky 1 vs Becky 2”!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Laugh 12

Not crazy about the unskippable ad for a sex toy I've been getting on YouTube lately...

Thankfully I don't have any young kids around...

• Surprise 5