Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I cannot mute that commercial fast enough.

Me too. Also the Zocdoc commercial where the girl breaks a tooth and screams "DAD!!" and he comes running and smacks his shin into the table. I can't stand it. CRACK! SNAP! Aarrgghh! I have actually covered my ears and shouted La La La! if I'm across the room and can't mute it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

and smacks his shin into the table.

It's his toe, not his shin. I'll take a shin whack over a toe whack anytime - toes really hurt. They have milked at least 5 versions of that ZocDoc commercial. Why in the world is that younger girl biting on a hard candy lollipop? She's old enough to know better. I do chuckle at the one ending where the voice over says "any ist" in your network.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I have, he is.

He's hilarious on that show, and also very funny - and sweet - in the behind-the-scenes features and interviews I've seen, but I don't find him at all amusing in that commercial with Kate McKinnon.  And I don't find her funny in it, either, despite cracking up at most of her SNL clips I've seen. 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

It's his toe, not his shin. I'll take a shin whack over a toe whack anytime - toes really hurt. They have milked at least 5 versions of that ZocDoc commercial. Why in the world is that younger girl biting on a hard candy lollipop? She's old enough to know better. I do chuckle at the one ending where the voice over says "any ist" in your network.

Toe, shin, whatever, I wouldn't know because I change the channel the second I realize which commercial it is. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

Progressive having an Addams' Family cartoon (drawn in the same style as Charles Addams had drawn the original panels)  looked like it was going to be fun- until they had to stick Uno Wutt (AKA Flo) in it! ARGGHH!!!! !! Really, that was like putting an Elmo decal on the Mona Lisa! 

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Listen to the lyrics of the song. "They're dressed for pastry baking...."  I always wondered about that - WHY do Progressive salespeople wear white and white aprons?  Jake seems to be doing well with his red shirt and khakis; why the white aprons?

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Would someone please stuff that stupid gecko into his stupid flat tire and drive around the block? 

Editing for additional thoughts after reading 5 pages.

"And fire-roasted skunk."

"Is that what smells so good?"

I thought the guy said something about "is that what that smell is?"

Benadryl was a miracle drug for several years, then I reached that certain age, and I cannot use it any more. I can't tell exactly what that certain age is, but it happens to many people. Remember commercials about restless legs medications? Benadryl gives me restless muscles all over the body and insomnia. So be careful about taking it when you reach that certain age. I refuse to go to the ER of one hospital in town because when I was there for a brain aneurysm, they wouldn't listen to me when I said no Benadryl. 

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 2
On 9/16/2021 at 6:12 PM, TattleTeeny said:

This T-Mobile costume party commercial is just nuts. First, despite the fact that the lady thinks a business dinner is costume party, she seems to be somewhat normal. But when she goes to the restaurant, she’s like gazing out into the middle distance, crazy-eyed. And when she asks if anyone wants to split a turkey leg, she’s got a crazy voice too (further, do restaurants serve just a turkey leg? And if so, how exactly would people “split” one—tear off the meat and divide it up onto two plates?).

On 9/17/2021 at 3:18 PM, Bastet said:

Yeah, I like her at the party.  Which is good, because she bugs me at home.  She's rather dumb to not ask, "Wait, what?  It is?  Where did you hear that?" when her friend seemingly says it's a costume party, but I'm glad for the misunderstanding because that frumpy shirt she has in her hands is too casual for a business dinner, so she comes off better giving everyone a laugh about the costume misunderstanding than she would if she'd shown up looking dowdy (society is not kind to overweight women, and that outfit was going to do her no favors). 

I thought this commercial was funny the very first time I saw it... but then when I thought about it some more, the utter idiocy of this woman drives me nuts.  I mean, if the "what she heard" version is really what she heard, it should have been very obvious there was a poor connection.  The sensible thing to do would be to say "we have a bad connection, I'm going to hang up and call you right back".  Or, since she felt the need to call up her friend to ask her what to wear to a "business dinner", how about texting her a photo of her in her medieval costumer with a "how's this?" comment.

Then another issue I have is that surely on her way from the parking lot to the restaurant, she should have noticed that she didn't see anyone else in costume.  Or when she stood at the entrance to the room, and not noticing anyone else in costume.  And finally, before she sat down and noticed everyone else in business attire, a sensible person would have at least removed the headdress.

• Love 2

I find the commercial with Michael Phelps promoting NBC's coverage of the Ryder Cup, with patriotic music playing in the background while he talks about how much it means to represent your country, to be extremely annoying.

Is he on the NBC commentary/coverage team for this event?  I get that he is an amateur golfer who has represented at the Ryder Cup in the amateur celebrity portion in the past, but does that qualify him to be a commentator, over any of the many past golfers that could have been chosen?

If he is not even on the coverage team, then this commercial is even more annoying.  He does not have a good voice for being a commentator, I dislike it.  I know he did some swimming coverage at the Olympics, but I thought he was terrible.  I don't think he added anything to the commentary since almost everything he said when talking with Tirico ended up being all about him.

And that's exactly the way this commercial comes across.  "I'm Michael Phelps.  I'm the greatest swimmer ever, and I want you to watch the Ryder Cup, because I am so great.  I represented my country and now these golfers are representing their countries so I feel like they are kind of like me, the greatest ever.  Watch and you might see me, the greatest swimmer ever."

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
18 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Listen to the lyrics of the song. "They're dressed for pastry baking...."  I always wondered about that - WHY do Progressive salespeople wear white and white aprons?  Jake seems to be doing well with his red shirt and khakis; why the white aprons?

Wasn't there commercials in which everyone thought Flo was a maid?

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The moment Uno Wutt [Flo] showed up like a gnat    buzzing  in one's ear to deliberately  spoil what had been a pleasant picnic, I had to flee the room and shut off the TV so the WHOLE commercial became nothing but white noise to me!

Anyway, for the few viewers who were able to stick around to hear the lyrics:  I admire your tolerance and endurance.

I guess they're wearing white aprons to supposedly be able to be ready to clean up customers' messes. BTW, I recall in Spring,2020 when the pandemic had them do Empty Apron commercials with Uno Wutt and her crew NO WHERE in sight! The Empty Apron commercials were FAR more entertaining, appealing and clever than ANY of them featuring Uno Wutt (and someone needs to tell the producers that they wouldn't have to pay ANY salaries whatsoever if they opted to permanently return to that that instead of Uno Wutt). 

• Love 1

I thought the guy said something about "is that what that smell is?"

He does.

Benadryl was a miracle drug for several years, then I reached that certain age, and I cannot use it any more. I can't tell exactly what that certain age is, but it happens to many people. Remember commercials about restless legs medications? Benadryl gives me restless muscles all over the body and insomnia. So be careful about taking it when you reach that certain age. I refuse to go to the ER of one hospital in town because when I was there for a brain aneurysm, they wouldn't listen to me when I said no Benadryl. 

I get that too but only if I take it more than several days in a row. If I just take it for a cold it doesn't seem to happen.

• Love 1

So this lady drags herself off the couch to find crap to sell at the flea market and is so satisfied with herself for that? So lame.

Also, very depressing music. Yuk.

Geez, I hate these medication commercials.

Edited by seasons
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, seasons said:

So this lady drags herself off the couch to find crap to sell at the flea market and is so satisfied with herself for that? So lame.

Also, very depressing music. Yuk.

Geez, I hate these medication commercials.

I think quitting smoking is something to be proud of. I've never had to do it, but considering how addictive nicotine is, good for anyone who can.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I finally saw this one. So, “the sponge” for a new generation?

I had to laugh when I read your post.  Does anyone remember the Seinfeld episode when Elaine was rationing her sponges? 

I saw that commercial and I'm at a loss for words.  How did that get past a focus group that was still breathing?  

Edited by AnnA
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, AnnA said:

I had to laugh when I read your post.  Does anyone remember the Seinfeld episode when Elaine was rationing her sponges? 

That was one of my favorite episodes. 

The Phexxi commercial is something.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

All of the sports betting commercials -- I don't even know all their names, but I think there's Draft Kings, and something with Caesar (We are all Caesars!), but I hate every single one of them.

The vast number of commercials for sports betting should be the first clue that no one is going to make any money betting with them.

9 hours ago, AnnA said:

"Spongeworthy"

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, Jaded said:

The Phexxi commercial is something.

At least you can't accuse them of not committing to the premise!

I laughed out loud when I first saw it, but can easily see how it would seem very vulgar and off-putting to anyone who doesn't like the joke.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

At least you can't accuse them of not committing to the premise!

I laughed out loud when I first saw it, but can easily see how it would seem very vulgar and off-putting to anyone who doesn't like the joke.

I laughed when I saw it too. I replied like I did in my previous post because I had no words I could think of to adequately describe my feelings on it at the time. I wasn't offended at all. 

• Love 1
On 9/21/2021 at 3:46 PM, seasons said:

Why is the ugly 70s coffee cup in a drawer in the living room? 

• Love 1
On 9/19/2021 at 1:27 PM, peacheslatour said:

Me too. Also the Zocdoc commercial where the girl breaks a tooth and screams "DAD!!" and he comes running and smacks his shin into the table. I can't stand it. CRACK! SNAP! Aarrgghh! I have actually covered my ears and shouted La La La! if I'm across the room and can't mute it.

Someone mentioned that the Dr.'s no much of a doctor because he's examining the man's foot with his sock still on.  But in the version where the Dr. asks, "Read any good books lately?" he's even examining the wrong foot.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Does anyone know why the smarmy chick in the Purple mattress ad is wearing that ridiculous milkmaid outfit?  I’m assuming that this is a follow up commercial of some kind, but I don’t remember seeing the original so I have no idea why she’s dressed like that. And I really hate that commercial, especially when she says “and remembers things, apparently”

• Love 3
13 hours ago, SerenityNow721 said:

Does anyone know why the smarmy chick in the Purple mattress ad is wearing that ridiculous milkmaid outfit?  I’m assuming that this is a follow up commercial of some kind, but I don’t remember seeing the original so I have no idea why she’s dressed like that. And I really hate that commercial, especially when she says “and remembers things, apparently”

She's supposed to be Goldilocks. So it's not supposed to be milkmaid as much as old-timey. Here's the original:

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
On 9/23/2021 at 2:47 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

Someone mentioned that the Dr.'s no much of a doctor because he's examining the man's foot with his sock still on.  But in the version where the Dr. asks, "Read any good books lately?" he's even examining the wrong foot.

The dad's foot that is hurt is his left, and it continues to be his left foot throughout the commercial, including when the doc asks him if he's read any good books.

What is it with videos auto playing on this site lately?  I just had the mattress lady coming through my headphones. I don’t remember that happening until very recently. As far as I can tell, there’s not a setting that controls it. 

17 hours ago, Blergh said:

[small voice]- I actually like those ads with Goldilocks with a 'tude pitching those mattresses (though I'm not in the market for a new one by any means). 

I like her too.  And the memory foam mattress attacking the scientists behind her.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

It is his right foot.

Must be his other left (as they say in basic training).

30 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

That's a different one than the one I just saw on TV -- the kids are involved, too, and it's dad's left foot both times we see it.

The scene with the doctor inspecting his socks is the same in both, I think. But he's going around the table on the other side in the one where he's reading.

• Love 2

Oh, I'm so glad I checked here. That Annie Murphy ad comes on during every freaking ad break on Hulu and I rue the inability to fast-forward every time. I'm also sick of seeing the rest of the Schitt's Creek cast at every other commercial break (did you need to sign that many endorsement deals, Dan? Did you?), but nothing grates on and skeeves me out like that one. 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Okay, I went to iSpot to look at the Fletcher family ZocDoc commercials. In one version, dad stubs his left foot, and in another version he stubs his right foot. 

Now I can really stop paying attention to that commercial. 😉

I can only imagine your suffering. I can't sit through that thing even once, at least not with sound on. Et voila, the great mystery of our time is solved.

• LOL 4
12 hours ago, lavenderblue said:

Oh, I'm so glad I checked here. That Annie Murphy ad comes on during every freaking ad break on Hulu and I rue the inability to fast-forward every time. I'm also sick of seeing the rest of the Schitt's Creek cast at every other commercial break (did you need to sign that many endorsement deals, Dan? Did you?), but nothing grates on and skeeves me out like that one. 

I'm really getting tired of seeing that gross commercial everywhere.

3 hours ago, Jaded said:

I wish anyone with the last name Kardashian could be barred from being able to be in any commercial ever.

It's a good start...

• Love 11
On 9/22/2021 at 11:24 AM, Jaded said:

I laughed when I saw it too. I replied like I did in my previous post because I had no words I could think of to adequately describe my feelings on it at the time. I wasn't offended at all. 

I was offended by the Phexxi womans dress and her scooter. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Jaded said:

I wish anyone with the last name Kardashian could be barred from being able to be in any commercial ever.

Is one of them doing that Candy Crush tournament commercial now? Whoever (or whatever it is) has had so much plastic surgery as to be unrecognizable as a human being.

• Useful 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7