Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I previously said that I would like to punch the "Light is Life" dude in the throat, but I would take that back to use it again on the insufferable Juliana Hough in the Rooms to Go commercials.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

I previously said that I would like to punch the "Light is Life" dude in the throat, but I would take that back to use it again on the insufferable Juliana Hough in the Rooms to Go commercials.

For me the winner and still champeen, is the Skyrizi beast.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
On 5/11/2020 at 8:24 AM, Ashforth said:

I just saw it, it is an iPhone/Verizon ad. The "singer" is saying "baby." The "song" is, um, not melodic and seems intended to drive one to feel stabby. Mission accomplished!

It's on my TV right now, and my husband and I are like, "AAAAAHHHHH!!!!! SHUT IT UP!!!!!!" I've rarely heard any song this annoying. My closed-captioning shows it as, "I want my bang-bang," but baby probably makes more sense. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 5/11/2020 at 6:02 PM, chenoa333 said:

Joe Namath is back in a new updated commercial (relevant to Corona) for MediCal (?). His veneers have gotten much larger and his face has gotten more plastic looking.

When I saw his original commercial I had no idea he was Joe Namath. He looked nothing like an older version of JN. I would've guessed every male human being on the planet before I said " that's Joe Namath".

Just a word of advice Joe...get a better plastic surgeon.

The first time I saw those commercials, I thought it was Maury Povich!! 😲😜😂

• LOL 10
On 5/2/2020 at 3:07 AM, kathyk2 said:

I've already posted about how much I hate the Tom Selleck ads. He acts offended that someone would question AIG. 

I don’t mind the ads, but the company he’s promoting is AAG, not AIG.  

21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Not any more.

My son tells me traffic is getting back to normal in LA.  It took him an hour to go 4 miles on the freeway.

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

My son tells me traffic is getting back to normal in LA.  It took him an hour to go 4 miles on the freeway.

From what I understand that's still pretty fast for L.A.:)

• LOL 10

There is a Weight Watchers commercial that irrationally irritates me.

At the end, Oprah is blathering about something while she is walking across a lawn.  The entire time she is walking, she is holding the bottom of her shirt with her right hand, presumably so it doesn’t ride up while she is walking.

Why did the director not stop her?  Is she not wearing an undershirt?  If you can’t walk six feet without showing me your underWinfrey, WEAR A DIFFERENT SHIRT.  

It bothers me way more than it should.  I have no earthly idea what she was saying because I was so focused on the shirt tug.

• LOL 8
  • Love 9
45 minutes ago, mojoween said:

At the end, Oprah is blathering about something while she is walking across a lawn.  The entire time she is walking, she is holding the bottom of her shirt with her right hand, presumably so it doesn’t ride up while she is walking.

Why did the director not stop her?  Is she not wearing an undershirt?  If you can’t walk six feet without showing me your underWinfrey, WEAR A DIFFERENT SHIRT.

It bothers me way more than it should.  I have no earthly idea what she was saying because I was so focused on the shirt tug.

Probably isn't irrational, because rational people are annoyed.

• Love 5
On 5/3/2020 at 5:20 PM, icemiser69 said:

The Andy Griffith show needs to be given a rest for awhile.

I can only take so much Gomer Pyle.

They have a funny commercial about "Mayberry Confidential," but I agree about Gomer Pyle.  It is sheer torture to even watch trailers for that show.  They show Carol Burnett interviews ad nauseum about her good friends Alan Alda (cut to M*A*S*H), Jim Nabors (cut to Carol Burnett guesting on Gomer Pyle), and just about everybody.  I record Mission: Impossible every week, and my husband and I snicker about those unbelievable plots where timing is everything and no man can resist Cinnamon Carter.  Plus, Steven Hill was in the first season and he turned up later on Law & Order.

• Love 1

The "Bring out the Tiger" Frosted Flakes commericals are getting on my nerves for two reasons.

1. The song gets stuck in my head.  It's actually not bad as a commercial song goes, but for whatever reason, this seems to be the commercial I'm seeing most often and it's just in my head all day.

2. I find it depressing because it's going to be well over a year before kids' sports are a thing.  And, if I find it depressing imagine kids who actually play sports.

24 minutes ago, Katy M said:

The "Bring out the Tiger" Frosted Flakes commericals are getting on my nerves for two reasons.

1. The song gets stuck in my head.  It's actually not bad as a commercial song goes, but for whatever reason, this seems to be the commercial I'm seeing most often and it's just in my head all day.

2. I find it depressing because it's going to be well over a year before kids' sports are a thing.  And, if I find it depressing imagine kids who actually play sports.

It depresses me for another reason. It only serves to remind me that they have been cutting arts programs for years.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

For some reason, I feel certain that any child named Cinnamon would have quickly adopted a nickname and stuck to it.

I remember one girl named Cinnamon Brown. Mostly because a couple decades back there was that crazy murder where fourteen year old Cinnamon murdered her stepmother and was taking all the blame for it. Even though everyone knew her psycho father put her up to it. She finally confessed his part when she found out he married his wife's sister and realized she'd been set up. Her father was arrested and did get convicted. He also tried to hire a couple guys to murder the attorney and judge in the case but they went to the cops and he got convicted for that too. He wanted out of his marriage and to marry his wife's sister (who he'd been molesting since she was fourteen) who was arrested too. His plan was to make Cinnamon kill her and the take a bunch of pills afterwards which she did. It also wasn't until Cinnamon was on the stand that she realized her father's plan was for her to kill her stepmother and die from the pills. But she didn't die so he put it all on her and convinced her to take the fall completely. It was crazy. And of course a Lifetime movie.

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
(edited)
21 hours ago, mojoween said:

Follow up commercial:  Duluth Trading Company No-Yank Tank

23 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I remember one girl named Cinnamon Brown. Mostly because a couple decades back there was that crazy murder where fourteen year old Cinnamon murdered her stepmother and was taking all the blame for it. Even though everyone knew her psycho father put her up to it. She finally confessed his part when she found out he married his wife's sister and realized she'd been set up. Her father was arrested and did get convicted. He also tried to hire a couple guys to murder the attorney and judge in the case but they went to the cops and he got convicted for that too. He wanted out of his marriage and to marry his wife's sister (who he'd been molesting since she was fourteen) who was arrested too. His plan was to make Cinnamon kill her and the take a bunch of pills afterwards which she did. It also wasn't until Cinnamon was on the stand that she realized her father's plan was for her to kill her stepmother and die from the pills. But she didn't die so he put it all on her and convinced her to take the fall completely. It was crazy. And of course a Lifetime movie.

OMG, I was just about to say something about this.  I think of that from time to time when I hear of someone (typically a pet) named Cinnamon.  And it wasn't a Lifetime movie (or at least not only one); it was on a network, because I saw it when I was a kid and we didn't have cable. Although I don't think I really knew what was going on, I could tell that the dad was a real creep.  It was the first thing I saw Clancy Brown in and he's made me totally uncomfortable ever since.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 6
40 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Follow up commercial:  Duluth Trading Company No-Yank Tank

OMG, I was just about to say something about this.  I think of that from time to time when I hear of someone (typically a pet) named Cinnamon.  And it wasn't a Lifetime movie (or at least not only one); it was on a network, because I saw it when I was a kid and we didn't have cable. Although I don't think I really knew what was going on, I could tell that the dad was a real creep.  It was the first thing I saw Clancy Brown in and he's made me totally uncomfortable ever since.

I always think of that when I heard Cinnamon. It was just such a crazy story that its burned into my memory. I looked it up. Your right it wasn't a lifetime movie (shocking! since its so their type of story) it was NBC movie but ended up on Lifetime being run a lot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

With Clancy Brown as the husband, Laura Palmer Sheryl Lee as the wife, and the debut of Moira Kelly ("toe pick") as Cinnamon.

Back on topic, I just watched several of Oprah's WW commercials online, because I'm oddly fascinated by the idea of her shooting one in a shirt that doesn't fit, and thought I'd hit on the right one when she was walking in some sort of field, but that was in the beginning, not the end, and she never touches her shirt.  So I ran out of interest before I could find the one that was mentioned, but remain curious enough to hope someone posts it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

I always think of that when I heard Cinnamon. It was just such a crazy story that its burned into my memory. I looked it up. Your right it wasn't a lifetime movie (shocking! since its so their type of story) it was NBC movie but ended up on Lifetime being run a lot.

It's a true story, not just a TV movie.

Topic: WTF GE? Amid all of the ads thanking doctors and nurses and truckers and delivery people (who richly deserve it) now there is a self-congratulatory ad from GE with people thanking their GE appliances. I am not making this up.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/nnoQ/ge-appliances-good-things

• LOL 6

18 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

It's a true story, not just a TV movie.

Yeah, it was back in the day when they were always making made-for-TV movies about scandals in the news.  (Also, this being a true story was mentioned on the previous page.)

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Back on topic, I just watched several of Oprah's WW commercials online, because I'm oddly fascinated by the idea of her shooting one in a shirt that doesn't fit, and thought I'd hit on the right one when she was walking in some sort of field, but that was in the beginning, not the end, and she never touches her shirt.  So I ran out of interest before I could find the one that was mentioned, but remain curious enough to hope someone posts it.

I'm curious about this, too, but I couldn't find it either.  I only found one where she was walking outside, and the shirt was long.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Katy M said:

The "Bring out the Tiger" Frosted Flakes commericals are getting on my nerves

What I'd like to know is if any actual schools are really using Tony the Tiger as a sports-team mascot, or is this just a publicity dramatization?  I know they have some corporate effort to help provide sports equipment in schools but  is there more to it?

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, tres bien said:

Progressive it's time to dump Mara.

She's either not sober or a complete idiot.  Neither which is funny. And totally irritating. 

Way too much time on my hands these days to think about trivia like this, but here goes: 

First, there was Flo, just a peppy little spokesperson with no personality beyond being totally focused on selling insurance. Then they added her interacting with the two bumbling rival insurance guys forever trying to steal her pricing tool. Then, they (very creatively, IMO) gave her a whole family to sell to and Jamie for her to mentor. I know -- and Progressive has acknowledged it -- that she can be irritating, but I think she's a hoot.

Jamie was funny as a clueless but earnest rookie, but they kept building him up from the guy whose coworkers originally couldn't even remember his name to an international man of accomplishments with a hot wife, foreign law degrees and obscure martial arts skills. It's as if the writers get bored and challenge each other to see how far they can go before an idea gets shut down, so now there is no real Jamie anymore, just a bunch of conflicting traits.

Which brings me to Mara. With Flo as the wise elder states- and spokesperson, and Jamie being the Renaissance Man of insurance, they need a new dork, someone who not only marches to the beat of a different drummer but has an entire band playing in her head. No doubt her character will continue to expand. I just wish they'd picked someone who didn't have that voice. Arrgh.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 15

I hate the Consumer Cellular commercial with that busybody woman and her dog named CC. She butts in on two people talking and tells them about sending pictures of her dog to her grandchildren everyday. I can’t stand her voice or her shit eating grin. She does have a pretty dog though. 

• Love 5
On 5/14/2020 at 4:46 PM, mojoween said:

If you can’t walk six feet without showing me your underWinfrey,

You may have just given Oprah a new idea for making more billions for herself. 

Goodbye Spanx...hello UnderWinfrey

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
On 5/15/2020 at 4:44 PM, Silver Raven said:

"Poise in your pants" just sounds nasty.

And it’s so gross that they demonstrate by pouring a pee-colored liquid into the pad 🤮

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
On 5/15/2020 at 4:48 PM, andromeda331 said:

I was going to post about this as well. Ann Rule wrote a great book about the case called If You Really Love Me. If you're into true crime books, that's a must read.

I saw the new Joe Namath commercial. Yikes! He does look even more plastic this time. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, CoderLady said:
On 5/16/2020 at 10:57 AM, tres bien said:

Progressive it's time to dump Mara.

She's either not sober or a complete idiot.  Neither which is funny. And totally irritating. 

Way too much time on my hands these days to think about trivia like this, but here goes: 

First, there was Flo, just a peppy little spokesperson with no personality beyond being totally focused on selling insurance. Then they added her interacting with the two bumbling rival insurance guys forever trying to steal her pricing tool. Then, they (very creatively, IMO) gave her a whole family to sell to and Jamie for her to mentor. I know -- and Progressive has acknowledged it -- that she can be irritating, but I think she's a hoot.

Jamie was funny as a clueless but earnest rookie, but they kept building him up from the guy whose coworkers originally couldn't even remember his name to an international man of accomplishments with a hot wife, foreign law degrees and obscure martial arts skills. It's as if the writers get bored and challenge each other to see how far they can go before an idea gets shut down, so now there is no real Jamie anymore, just a bunch of conflicting traits.

Which brings me to Mara. With Flo as the wise elder states- and spokesperson, and Jamie being the Renaissance Man of insurance, they need a new dork, someone who not only marches to the beat of a different drummer but has an entire band playing in her head. No doubt her character will continue to expand. I just wish they'd picked someone who didn't have that voice. Arrgh.

I rather Progressive get rid of everybody. Flo, Jaime, & Mara need to be gone from my TV permanently. They're as likeable to watch, look at, & tolerate as hugging a porcupine. Unlike Flo, Jaime, & Mara, a porcupine is a smart & somewhat charming animal.

• LOL 6
  • Love 7

I hate that I can't spend an afternoon watching TVLand without being assaulted by that annoying ass Hormel pepperoni jingle EVERY damn commercial break. Nails on a chalkboard for me.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, configdotsys said:

I was going to post about this as well. Ann Rule wrote a great book about the case called If You Really Love Me. If you're into true crime books, that's a must read.

I saw the new Joe Namath commercial. Yikes! He does look even more plastic this time. 

She did? I'll look for it. Thanks. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

And it’s so gross that they demonstrate by pouring a pee-colored liquid into the pad 🤮

What???  No way!!!  Anyone who's watched any commercials knows that any liquid that comes out of human bodies is blue!

• LOL 21
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

What???  No way!!!  Anyone who's watched any commercials knows that any liquid that comes out of human bodies is blue!

There's a pad commercial recently that uses a red liquid.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Blue Diamond Almond commercial is lying.  They claim the people in the ad are real almond growers.  Then the little girl pronounces it "ah-mund".  I grew up in the region of California where the vast majority of almonds are grown, and up there, they pronounce it "amm-und".

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Blue Diamond Almond commercial is lying.  They claim the people in the ad are real almond growers.  Then the little girl pronounces it "ah-mund".  I grew up in the region of California where the vast majority of almonds are grown, and up there, they pronounce it "amm-und".

I have almond growers in my family, and probably a third of them have switched their pronunciation over time (tired of hearing they're pronouncing it incorrectly when speaking to "outsiders").  So a member of the youngest generation might very well say it that way, even living in the region.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The "Just Crack an Egg" woman can go hug a land mine. She opens up her fridge, sees a container of said product, and conveniently has just one egg to crack into the container. Next thing you know she's doing a Jack and Rose "Titanic" spin with it.

• LOL 9
17 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

The "Just Crack an Egg" woman can go hug a land mine. She opens up her fridge, sees a container of said product, and conveniently has just one egg to crack into the container. Next thing you know she's doing a Jack and Rose "Titanic" spin with it.

I bought one of those - once. I love scrambled eggs, potatoes, peppers, and so on. But that stuff is not good.

• Love 5
On 5/17/2020 at 1:39 PM, Magog said:

I rather Progressive get rid of everybody. Flo, Jaime, & Mara need to be gone from my TV permanently. They're as likeable to watch, look at, & tolerate as hugging a porcupine. Unlike Flo, Jaime, & Mara, a porcupine is a smart & somewhat charming animal.

They can also get rid of that loser spinning the sign at the intersection. I don't care HOW proud his dad is or whether or not he sleeps with his sign.

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I just don't see how its that convenient if you still have to crack an egg. At that point just make eggs. With Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches or bowls you just have to heat them up you don't have to still crack eggs. What's the point? 

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I just don't see how its that convenient if you still have to crack an egg. At that point just make eggs. With Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches or bowls you just have to heat them up you don't have to still crack eggs. What's the point? 

It's more than just eggs. . It's essentially a frittata - eggs, potatoes, peppers. You don't need to use a pan As I said, I tried it once. It's just not that good.

• Love 4

I imagine you can get frozen vegetable medleys with pretty much the same stuff as Just Crack an Egg, so people could just toss some of those in a mug with an egg and some bacon bits and microwave it.  Less garbage and you can also season it the way you want.  That doesn't seem like that much more work.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6