Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I'm getting sick of the pizza places talking about how hot their ovens are. "We bake our pizza in a 1000-degree oven and it's delivered fresh to you in an urn of your choice!"

What I don't get about all of those pizza commercials is they all talk about how the pizza now  comes right out of the oven without anyone touching it.  No shit, Sherlock.  Of course no one is touching a pizza that just came out of the oven.  I'm sure they weren't in the BC times.  The wording of those commercials grates and they are all using it.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 15

Their point is to reassure customers though. People are likely rightfully concerned about food handling now moreso than before in deciding whether to order in. The main argument made that takeout is safe is it's cooked at temps that would kill any germs. Pizza shops can point out that (having nothing to do with the pandemic) the food goes out of the 500 degree oven, onto a peel and directly into the box without human hands touching it. They don't even touch it directly when slicing it. I can imagine a lot of people thinking "oh yeah, good point" and that makes pizza - of all possible takeout options - feel relatively safer than, say, burgers or tacos.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I find the Ratt problem commercial to be very similar to the Final Countdown commercial a few years back with Europe playing in an office breakroom while someone microwaves a burrito. 

I love them both. 

• Love 9
26 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Their point is to reassure customers though. People are likely rightfully concerned about food handling now moreso than before in deciding whether to order in. The main argument made that takeout is safe is it's cooked at temps that would kill any germs. Pizza shops can point out that (having nothing to do with the pandemic) the food goes out of the 500 degree oven, onto a peel and directly into the box without human hands touching it. They don't even touch it directly when slicing it. I can imagine a lot of people thinking "oh yeah, good point" and that makes pizza - of all possible takeout options - feel relatively safer than, say, burgers or tacos.

For me, it's the wording of those commercials.  It should be "as always our pizzas come right out of the oven and are never touched by human hands etc," and then talk about their new contactless options for payment.  This reinforces their high level of cleanliness while highlighting what they are doing differently to keep people safe.  

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

For me, it's the wording of those commercials.  It should be "as always our pizzas come right out of the oven and are never touched by human hands etc," and then talk about their new contactless options for payment.  This reinforces their high level of cleanliness while highlighting what they are doing differently to keep people safe.  

Yes but they still breath on it. The pizza may not be touched but it is taken out of the oven and put in a box. Someone is doing that and looking as they do it so it is being breathed on which is how the virus is passed on.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Yes but they still breath on it. The pizza may not be touched but it is taken out of the oven and put in a box. Someone is doing that and looking as they do it so it is being breathed on which is how the virus is passed on.

Not if they are making their employees wear masks. But I don't know if they are.

• Love 6

This is not a commercial but when I saw it I immediately thought of what I’ve read here and knew you all would understand my eye roll.   The channel TCM has a new to me promo where the hosts talk about how they love being hosts.  It ends with a shot of all of them with the phrase over the photo “Let’s Movie”.

ugh, just ugh

• Love 6
57 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

This almost certainly varies by locale, but where I live food service workers have been required to wear masks for a month. Do we know for sure they're following that mandate? Nope, but then we never know for sure if restaurants are violating health codes. So still, given the option of breathing and touching vs breathing only (theoretically through a mask), I think it's reasonable for them to want to point out that the latter is a smaller risk than the former as a means of pushing their business.

• Love 8

Whenever I get take-out nowadays, I reheat it either by oven or microwave, just to be safe.  Downside - can’t order salads or cold sandwiches.

Ha!  That Domino’s ad came on just as I’m typing this. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
54 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I swear to dog, if I have to listen to that damned Descovy commercial, with its "Step up to prep up" one more time, I'm gonna cut a bitch.

For a good laugh, you should have seen me and my grandmother discuss this commercial, with my trying to help her piece together why there is a "nice buisiness woman" in the commercial about a product not for people "assigned female" at birth.  Good times.

• LOL 8
  • Love 6

I've been of work since March 19th, so I'm seeing a LOT of commercials during the day and realizing that they air incessantly (usually, I'm at work, and we DVR stuff, skipping commercials).

This is my latest list of annoyances:
1) Folger's commercial where a woman walks in on her father-in-law taking a shower.  This is all kinds of skeevy.  The way he stares at her.  She stands and stares at him with a choir behind her.  And when they bring her cup of coffee, she's still continuing to stare.  If nothing else, close the curtain and quit letting water out.....

2) University Of Phoenix commercial with a young woman holding a baby.  The commercial is generally silent, other than a ping from her laptop, but starts out with her making this "blblblbllbllllblllblb" noise with her tongue, presumably at the baby.  It ALWAYS catches me off guard, so I don't get to flip the channel before that obnoxiousness starts.

3)  Promo for Bering Sea Gold.  A show I never heard of, or watched.  I was in the kitchen washing dishes when it came on every single break, and I thought the guy was saying "I don't WANT goldfish season, I NEED goldfish season".  And I thought "Who fishes for goldfish and why is there a season"?  Substitute the word "this" for "fish", but that's what it sounded like until I moved in to the living room and saw it again.

4)  Kid activity blurbs on Nickelodeon.  Yeah....but I love cartoons.  They aimed at getting kids to move, and I can get behind that 100%, but they are SO ANNOYING.  They play the same bits of songs over and over, or there is one in particular with the kid from the Young Dylan show (never watched it, but see promos) that keeps going "repeat" which drives me nuts.

I'm sure there will be more.....

• Love 11
On 4/29/2020 at 12:22 PM, peacheslatour said:

Not if they are making their employees wear masks. But I don't know if they are.

I wonder if/when they'll show masks in the commercials.  They can't if they want to reuse old footage, and it might give an unconscious impression that the staff is unhealthy, but it would communicate that the business is (supposed to be) taking safety precautions.

19 hours ago, InDueTime said:

The monotonous "Daisy, daisy, daisy" droning in this Marc Jacobs ad is very jarring to me.  

Every time I've seen this, I've expected it to be a sour cream commercial.

3 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

2) University Of Phoenix commercial with a young woman holding a baby.  The commercial is generally silent, other than a ping from her laptop, but starts out with her making this "blblblbllbllllblllblb" noise with her tongue, presumably at the baby.  It ALWAYS catches me off guard, so I don't get to flip the channel before that obnoxiousness starts.

That sound is so fucking annoying.  The other thing I notice is that they include a wide shot of her putting down the baby, who starts crawling away toward the end of the couch.  The next shot is a closeup of her using her laptop.  So...she's letting the baby crawl off the end of the couch?

• Love 7
19 hours ago, InDueTime said:

The monotonous "Daisy, daisy, daisy" droning in this Marc Jacobs ad is very jarring to me.  

that's all about three girls have a threesome, as far as I can tell? I have to get out more.

• LOL 8

I am sick and tired of the endless repetition of the wretched Nugenix commercials. The whole concept of some apparently ex-athlete having a press conference about his amazing condition is ludicrous.  Even more ludicrous is the female reporter acting like she was embarrassed to ask where a man could get this product.  The other day they were running the commercial at absolutely every break.  I think by now the message is out to any one interested.

• Love 16

I hate the Noom commercials where the people say incredibly vague comments yet it’s supposed to convey life changing techniques. 

The Noom people need to link up with the Audible people so they can all make weird profound statements with faces brought to you by Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, mousegirl said:

Heart hands" - just stop.

That demented scissor-arms dance - really just stop.

They both need to die a sudden death.  I believe that dance is called ‘flossing’.  The only time I found it amusing was in a Stanley Steamer commercial when a kid was attempting it and punched himself in the crotch (which made his friend spit his milkshake everywhere, hence the need for Stanley Steamer)

• LOL 7
  • Love 9
On 4/22/2020 at 4:51 PM, Mrs. P. said:

I am so tired of the Noom commercials. They run them way too often for me.

I don't care either way about the product or the ad, I'm just amazed that this dude's actual job is tasting candy!

• Love 4
(edited)

Don't know if it's been mentioned here yet, but I hate the Tom Selleck reverse mortgage ads.  He comes across so condescending!  First he says something like, "This is not my first rodeo."  A few minutes later he says something like, "I've been around long enough to know."  Geez!  We get it, Oh Wise One, we should not question anything you say.  The guy used to be so good looking, but now his face looks pinched, as if he's been constipated for a long time.  Come to think of it, his voice sounds that way too.  Maybe he's stressed about his reverse mortgage.

Edited by Ilovecomputers
  • LOL 16
  • Love 5
(edited)

"Heart hands" - just stop.

LiMu Emu - go away stupid ugly bird.  What in hell do you have to do with insurance??

I fucking hate heart hands no matter who does it and where I see it. But I love the emu.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

I have liked Anthony Anderson in many of his roles, but his mother is getting on my last nerve in the cell phone commercials that they do.

Either Anthony Anderson has seriously overestimated his Mama's popularity, or there is some hardcore Mama Anderson fan club out there somewhere I'm unaware of. I find her annoying on To Tell The Truth, too.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
On 4/28/2020 at 12:16 AM, Brookside said:
On 4/27/2020 at 3:58 PM, janie jones said:

What does she do besides Kaiser Permanente?

Some of the sickly sweet coronavirus ones.  Maybe they just air on Ion TV, which I watch obsessively these days because it seems my escape from today's realities is to watch blood and gore via NCIS, Law and Order, Criminal Minds, etc.

Well, she does "sound like FM radio" from the 70s, lol.

5 hours ago, janie jones said:

I think the red bears and the blue bears are advertising different varieties.

That is correct. The bears are color-coded to the packaging. One is "ultra soft" and the other is "ultra strong".

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
On 4/30/2020 at 5:00 PM, dleighg said:

that's all about three girls have a threesome, as far as I can tell? I have to get out more.

I thought they looked like members of some strange cult.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned here yet, but I hate the Tom Selleck reverse mortgage ads.  He comes across so condescending!  First he says something like, "This is not my first rodeo."  A few minutes later he says something like, "I've been around long enough to know."  Geez!  We get it, Oh Wise One, we should not question anything you say.  The guy used to be so good looking, but now his face looks pinched, as if he's been constipated for a long time.  Come to think of it, his voice sounds that way too.  Maybe he's stressed about his reverse mortgage.

I've already posted about how much I hate the Tom Selleck ads. He acts offended that someone would question AIG. I'm also annoyed by the ad encouraging people to sell their life insurance. That money isn't for you it's to help your family pay your debts. I'm sure your loved ones will be thrilled to learn the money they thought was available isn't there.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, InDueTime said:

I thought they looked like members of some strange cult

Is Cindy Crawford’s daughter one of those weird Daisy girls?  Because she looks just like her.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, theatremouse said:

That is correct. The bears are color-coded to the packaging. One is "ultra soft" and the other is "ultra strong".

My mind is actually blown, I didn’t realize there were 2 varieties.  Now I wanna buy some of the red bear TP so I can compare and contrast.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
On 4/30/2020 at 5:34 PM, mousegirl said:

Drug commercials need to be outlawed.  I have counted, recently, at least 25 different prescription drugs being advertised on TV.  There's something seriously wrong with this picture.

They were outlawed....once upon a time.  

• Love 9
4 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I'm also annoyed by the ad encouraging people to sell their life insurance. That money isn't for you it's to help your family pay your debts.

Not really. If you are paying for a life insurance policy, you can do whatever you want to with it, including selling it, cashing it in if possible, or simply letting it lapse. It isn't an entitlement for your family members (who normally aren't responsible for your debts and are definitely not obligated to use life insurance proceeds to pay them).

Topic: Tom Selleck is gross now. So unfortunate.

2 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

My mind is actually blown, I didn’t realize there were 2 varieties.  Now I wanna buy some of the red bear TP so I can compare and contrast.

Charmin Ultra Strong is really good TP.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

There's a third variety that I didn't know existed until shortly before the Great Toilet Paper Shortage of 2020.

ultra-gentle.thumb.jpg.a9a6a6a845a6e3c9fa66f9fbcbb9eab8.jpg

I didn't realize until reading about their history that they've been using the bears in their ads and on the packaging for about 20 years now.

• Useful 5
  • Love 3

What’s the brand that used Labrador puppies?  I used to buy that but can’t remember what it was.  Until last year I loved Scott tube-free but it’s discontinued now.  Now I get mad every time I have to squeeze another cardboard tube into the bathroom trash bin.

15 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

What’s the brand that used Labrador puppies?  I used to buy that but can’t remember what it was.  Until last year I loved Scott tube-free but it’s discontinued now.  Now I get mad every time I have to squeeze another cardboard tube into the bathroom trash bin.

Those can go in your paper recycling bin.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
(edited)

I hate the cat food commercial where the mother is sitting on the couch with a cat perched on her shoulder, and her daughter yells that she’s fallen.  Mom just sits there with the damn cat, and tells the kid to get a bandage. The kid says “Mom, I’m bleeding” and the Mother of the Year just tells her to get two bandages, and then goes to crack open a container of cat food.  While the commercial is just dumb, I don’t get it at all. 

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 8

Love Philly cream cheese. On bagels, cheesecake, in dips, etc. Hate this commercial. Not the actors, or the message. It's very sweet. But God above, the song! Ugh. I want to puke when this dipshit broad opens her mouth. (Yes, she does sounds like she's gargling saliva) And like she's got a block of Philly jammed sideways down her windpipe.  I absolutely hate these suck ass "INDIE" whiny, mumbly, breathy singers(?) They sound like they're underwater, for JC sake! Oh, and there is a new Campbells Tomato soup commercial featuring the Golden Girl's theme song... Thank You For Being A Friend....great show, great song!!! Well, the song is being butchered by yet another, whiny, mumbly off key, depressed sounding millenial Indie twit. Shame on you Campbells! If these iconic companies want to grab viewers attention by using some come catchy jingle, at least make it TOLERABLE to listen to. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Charmin Ultra Strong is really good TP.

Charmin Ultra Soft is the only tp that I use.  I'm always surprised when I see people buying the red one. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
On 5/1/2020 at 11:41 PM, theatremouse said:

It's been so long since I've seen tp at the store I wouldn't remember. And forget Amazon - :currently noy available".

I went to a convenience store today and they were fully stocked with single roles at $1.29 per role. Not bad. My husband says he read a story that the tp shortage is over, I'll believe it when I see multipacks at my grocery store.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
13 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Cottonelle?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 5/1/2020 at 8:52 PM, InDueTime said:

I thought they looked like members of some strange cult.

So a foursome then, with the cult leader.

22 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Definitely Cottonelle.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

The only thing more annoying than the MeTV "Month of Mayberry" commercial is the annoying changes that has been made to their schedule.  The entire concept just frosts my cookies.

The Andy Griffith show needs to be given a rest for awhile.

I can only take so much Gomer Pyle.

Mayberry R,F.D. hasn't been on for awhile.  Still, it is a bit too much when added in with the other two shows.

Plus, there is Matlock.

I'm still mad they took Leverage off of ION.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm still mad they took Leverage off of ION.

So am I. Same with them taking off Burn Notice and White Collar. The Closer would be a perfect fit with ION. They still have it on late at night once a week at CBS on Monday at midnight.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

So am I. Same with them taking off Burn Notice and White Collar. The Closer would be a perfect fit with ION. They still have it on late at night once a week at CBS on Monday at midnight.

They also took off Law&Order: Criminal Intent. No D'Onofrio fix for me.

On 5/2/2020 at 3:36 PM, Kiki777 said:

Andrex?