Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 5/2/2020 at 6:36 PM, Kiki777 said:

What’s the brand that used Labrador puppies?  I used to buy that but can’t remember what it was.  Until last year I loved Scott tube-free but it’s discontinued now.  Now I get mad every time I have to squeeze another cardboard tube into the bathroom trash bin.

Scott's the worst brand out there, but if you can't get the tubeless rolls, the cores can be recycled and are great for storing power cords in your junk drawer.

Oh yeah, I am hating the Month of Mayberry promos.

• Love 3

Folks, Let's take any talk about current availability of products or personal preferences for products related to availability to the COVID-19 thread.  No social distancing is required to discuss your shelter in place experiences there.  This thread is for our reactions to blue and red bears and the like encouraging us to enjoy the go. 

• Love 3

That Lincoln town car ad  that has the moody blonde all sad and lonely and socially isolated in her ultra modern mansion; she then cheers herself up by ORDERING AN EIGHTY THOUSAND DOLLAR CAR online. They deliver it to her door as she peers moodily yet richly out from between her costly curtains. The narrator coos the whole time about how much Lincoln understands.

I don't want to hear about your problems, moody rich blonde lady. If they can be solved by ordering an EIGHTY THOUSAND DOLLAR CAR online and have it delivered by some guy who now either has to walk back to town or risk infection hitching a ride, they are problems I would love to have.

(The most enraging part is when the voiceover offers delayed financing. If you can order a Goddamn EIGHTY THOUSAND DOLLAR CAR online like I do paperbacks and cat food, you can shell out up front, dammit.)

• LOL 6
  • Love 18
(edited)
9 hours ago, Snookums said:

That Lincoln town car ad  that has the moody blonde all sad and lonely and socially isolated in her ultra modern mansion; she then cheers herself up by ORDERING AN EIGHTY THOUSAND DOLLAR CAR online. They deliver it to her door as she peers moodily yet richly out from between her costly curtains. The narrator coos the whole time about how much Lincoln understands.

I don't want to hear about your problems, moody rich blonde lady. If they can be solved by ordering an EIGHTY THOUSAND DOLLAR CAR online and have it delivered by some guy who now either has to walk back to town or risk infection hitching a ride, they are problems I would love to have.

(The most enraging part is when the voiceover offers delayed financing. If you can order a Goddamn EIGHTY THOUSAND DOLLAR CAR online like I do paperbacks and cat food, you can shell out up front, dammit.)

Sanctuary. That's the name of the ad. I've been hating on this one for a while.

So she's in her mountain treehouse glass-walled mansion (which should be handy for spotting the zombies when they swarm up her long driveway) but then goes outside, mask-less, to have a hand-to-hand exchange of the keys to her fine new ride from the also mask-less delivery guy, before going back in to expose her sleeping infant to whatever virus she may have just acquired. Couldn't Lincoln at least CGI some masks for them?

I'm pretty sure the delivery guy drives away in her equally fancy, late model trade in, so at least he's not on the hoof to get back to the dealership. 

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 10
On 4/30/2020 at 9:41 PM, Suzn said:

I am sick and tired of the endless repetition of the wretched Nugenix commercials. The whole concept of some apparently ex-athlete having a press conference about his amazing condition is ludicrous.  Even more ludicrous is the female reporter acting like she was embarrassed to ask where a man could get this product.  The other day they were running the commercial at absolutely every break.  I think by now the message is out to any one interested.

The one that's on incessantly now is an old one.  There's one part in particular that just grates on me.  The Frank Thomas dude says something about when he "discovered Nugenix".  The woman says "I wish my husband did".  That sounds so wrong.  Shouldn't it be "I wish my husband would" or "I wish my husband had"?  The "did" just sounds off and annoys me.

On 5/2/2020 at 3:07 AM, kathyk2 said:

I've already posted about how much I hate the Tom Selleck ads. He acts offended that someone would question AIG. I'm also annoyed by the ad encouraging people to sell their life insurance. That money isn't for you it's to help your family pay your debts. I'm sure your loved ones will be thrilled to learn the money they thought was available isn't there.

My grammy had to cash hers in to pre-pay for her funeral when she went in to nursing care, so it wasn't seized as an asset.  My parents cashed theirs in, per their financial advisor.  They have plenty in savings vs their age, so he said it was pointless keeping it up.

On 5/2/2020 at 6:36 PM, Kiki777 said:

What’s the brand that used Labrador puppies?  I used to buy that but can’t remember what it was.  Until last year I loved Scott tube-free but it’s discontinued now.  Now I get mad every time I have to squeeze another cardboard tube into the bathroom trash bin.

Cottonelle.  I miss the green pack - Aloe and E.  Right now, I take what I can get.

• Love 6

I, on the other hand, will quite happily be watching Amy Schumer's new show - something to tide me over until she can do another stand-up special.

• Love 7
On 4/30/2020 at 8:34 PM, mousegirl said:

The Advil "what pain?" commercials, which are promoting a truly dangerous concept - that if you are in pain, you take a pill and then you can go out and throw your body around like a circus acrobat on steroids.  NO.   If you're in pain you use pain relievers so you can do the ordinary tasks of life, like personal care, housework, your job, taking care of your kids, etc., while whatever part of your body is out of whack CAN HEAL, and/or until you can get to your doctor to find out what's wrong with you.  Follow the Advil ad philosophy and when the drug wears off you're going to end up in traction in the hospital - and Advil won't help anymore. Really this type of advertisement should be illegal.  

As a person living with chronic pain due to several serious autoimmune diseases, this is a particular peeve of mine. I take painkillers because I need help getting out of bed in the morning and living some semblance of normalcy, not doing handstands. And sadly, a lot more people with chronic pain are now depending on things like Aleve, not just folks with acute pain, because most doctors simply do not offer opioids or other options anymore. 

On 4/30/2020 at 9:41 PM, Suzn said:

I am sick and tired of the endless repetition of the wretched Nugenix commercials. The whole concept of some apparently ex-athlete having a press conference about his amazing condition is ludicrous. 

Even more ridiculous is whose bright idea it was naming a product something so similar to "eugenics"...

• Love 12

I’m piling on the train, but I’m also beyond over the plinky-plonky sad-voiced ads for everything.  I am AWARE we are all in this together, WE ARE ALL LIVING THROUGH THIS, can you not remind me every thirty seconds? 

However, I also don’t want to see people gaily going about their lives in the Before Times.  Don’t remind me of what I cannot do, thanks.  It’s a paradox, so apparently I should just stop watching TV for awhile.

I did see a laundry detergent ad today that was rather refreshing, because it was intimated that they were quarantined and had a surprise child guest, but they didn’t beat me over the head with it.  They were just chilling folding clothes.  Alas, I cannot remember which detergent it was.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Giada has a spit bucket under her counter. That's how she keeps her trim figure.

Do they show her spitting food into it like someone spitting out watermelon seeds?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 4/29/2020 at 2:22 PM, peacheslatour said:

Not if they are making their employees wear masks. But I don't know if they are.

I have an acquaintance who owns several Dominos franchises with her husband. She made masks for all their employees when masks were scarce. 

Add me to the hate Frank Thomas and his stupid Nugenix (she'll like it too!) and Tom Selleck and his reverse mortgages. And I really dislike the stupid CB1 Weight Gainer, that spokesmodel is terrible and she intones "I'm super pumped" with the flattest affect!

Editing because I wanted to reply to things on different pages and I have no memory. 

Not exactly on topic, but Leverage has it's own binge streaming channel on Pluto. 

Edited by friendperidot
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Maverick said:

I'm sick of the Microsoft Teams ad.   I don't care what software they London Police or L'Oreal are using.   

I kinda like listening to the London Police guy's voice, but otherwise, yeah.

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 8:27 AM, Ashforth said:

I'm pretty sure the delivery guy drives away in her equally fancy, late model trade in, so at least he's not on the hoof to get back to the dealership. 

More likely in the cab of the rollback truck which actually brought the car.  At least Carvana's commercials show that.

(edited)

There’s a Starburst commercial that bugs me because asks how they taste so juicy. “Juicy” is not a taste. And that’s goes for anything that is labeled as “birthday cake” flavored. Can’t a birthday cake be whatever kind you want it to be? 

And, while I’m being a nitpicky jerk, ugh, that Daily Harvest commercial with the vocal fry. Plus, when it shows the smoothie in the cup, it looks like you’d need to use a spoon to eat it even though we just saw Vocal Fry Lady pour it from the blender as easy as can be!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5

There is an ad for HULU that runs on MSNBC at every, single, commercial break.

It's the one with quick cuts of various series actors screaming "That could be a catch phrase!!!!!"

I've worn out my mute button shutting that damn thing off.

• Love 2

I just saw a commercial for Geico, and I absolutely hate it.  It’s a tiny baby turtle talking about insurance stuff with his turtle daddy, when a white feather drops between them.  They look up and there’s a vulture just above the baby, ready to eat it.  It’s totally disgusting that you have to do something like that to sell insurance.  Poor baby. 

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

I just saw a commercial for Geico, and I absolutely hate it.  It’s a tiny baby turtle talking about insurance stuff with his turtle daddy, when a white feather drops between them.  They look up and there’s a vulture just above the baby, ready to eat it.  It’s totally disgusting that you have to do something like that to sell insurance.  Poor baby. 

Aren't vultures carrion birds? I think the turtles have more to fear from seagulls.

• Love 2

Also, where are vultures white?

18 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

And, while I’m being a nitpicky jerk, ugh, that Daily Harvest commercial with the vocal fry. Plus, when it shows the smoothie in the cup, it looks like you’d need to use a spoon to eat it even though we just saw Vocal Fry Lady pour it from the blender as easy as can be!

Unless it's mostly egg whites, I don't understand why there's so much more smoothie than there was stuff in the cup before they blended it.

• Love 4
On 4/25/2020 at 12:54 PM, cynicat said:

I once hit a deer at 4am so yes, sometimes you need to speak to your insurance agent at weird times.

ETA: I see some sad emojis so I'll add that the deer was fine.  My car on the other hand was undriveable.

Glad that the deer was fine!

• Love 5
On 4/26/2020 at 4:08 AM, Haleth said:

There is an adorable ad for a dog medication with a big pup who brings things home to mom.  (I'm an ad exec's worst nightmare- I never remember the product.)  The last thing we see him bring home is someone's bikini top.  Very cute, except I can't help but wonder why this woman is letting her dog roam around the neighborhood.  Don't they have leash laws?

I think the dog is an accomplished and habitual escape artist.

• Love 8
On 4/29/2020 at 6:06 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

What I don't get about all of those pizza commercials is they all talk about how the pizza now  comes right out of the oven without anyone touching it.  No shit, Sherlock.  Of course no one is touching a pizza that just came out of the oven.  I'm sure they weren't in the BC times.  The wording of those commercials grates and they are all using it.  

I take it hand-tossed pizza isn't a thing anymore.  Or do they now brag about how they use gloves?

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I take it hand-tossed pizza isn't a thing anymore.  Or do they now brag about how they use gloves?

Don't you toss it BEFORE you cook it?

• LOL 3
  • Love 9

ANOTHER one that bugs me: Nestle Crunch. A family of three and the lady says, "I'm [Name] and our favorite bar is Crunch." Kid then says, "Crunchy." And that's it. WTF?

Why not "We're" if they all agree on the favorite thing? And its name is "Crunch"--they couldn't give the robotic kid a synonym to use? It is so dumb. 

Also, who gives a F about these people's favorite bar? And who says "favorite bar" unless they mean the booze kind?!

And why am I so aggro?

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

The auto industry is getting desperate. And their commercials all sound alike. They all start by telling us how they understand what we're all going through and want us to know they're still there for us! But the Carvana one is really peculiar. The unseen narrator starts by reminding us that most people are staying at home right now but they might still need a car. Isn't that counter intuitive? I mean, I get that some people are NOT staying at home because they are designated as essential workers and THEY might still need to buy a car, but the ad sounds like it's aimed directly at the people who ARE staying at home. Weird.

I think I know what they're going for but it just doesn't sound quite right. They need a better copy editor.

• Love 12

Well, I'm staying home but I need a car to get groceries. No one delivers to our house except Domino's. I've looked into all the delivery services - not a single one will deliver to us.

• Love 6
On 5/2/2020 at 9:09 PM, Mrs.Dex said:

Love Philly cream cheese. On bagels, cheesecake, in dips, etc. Hate this commercial. Not the actors, or the message. It's very sweet. But God above, the song! Ugh. I want to puke when this dipshit broad opens her mouth. (Yes, she does sounds like she's gargling saliva) And like she's got a block of Philly jammed sideways down her windpipe.  I absolutely hate these suck ass "INDIE" whiny, mumbly, breathy singers(?) They sound like they're underwater, for JC sake! Oh, and there is a new Campbells Tomato soup commercial featuring the Golden Girl's theme song... Thank You For Being A Friend....great show, great song!!! Well, the song is being butchered by yet another, whiny, mumbly off key, depressed sounding millenial Indie twit. Shame on you Campbells! If these iconic companies want to grab viewers attention by using some come catchy jingle, at least make it TOLERABLE to listen to. 

Cant stand them ether!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I don’t know if it’s a real “song” or not, but just saw a commercial for IPhone 11 with this gawd-awful “I want my bang bang, there goes my bang bang...” repeated ad nauseam. I hate needless repetition anyway-the alleged music puts it WaAAAY at the top of my despised list...

• Love 7
On 5/5/2020 at 3:27 PM, janie jones said:

I feel the same way, and I hate when she spits something out at the end.

Disgusting, and that is why I won't be watching that show. 

• Love 3
On 5/8/2020 at 1:43 PM, chessiegal said:

Well, I'm staying home but I need a car to get groceries. No one delivers to our house except Domino's. I've looked into all the delivery services - not a single one will deliver to us.

Same here, living in the boonies sometimes has it disadvantages. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 5/5/2020 at 9:29 PM, mojoween said:

I’m piling on the train, but I’m also beyond over the plinky-plonky sad-voiced ads for everything.  I am AWARE we are all in this together, WE ARE ALL LIVING THROUGH THIS, can you not remind me every thirty seconds?

Here in Cleveland, there's a promo that has been running ad nauseam since the quarantine began for FOX 8 News. The voiceover intones, "Cleveland's own helping Cleveland's own. We're all in this together." I'm tempted to throw shoes at my TV. 😡😠😡😠😡😠

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I am watching the Cannon marathon over on Decades, and they just won't stop airing the same damn AARP commercial.

Is it the new one where the music is strangely reminiscent of the music to “Mack the Knife”?

• Love 1

Don't know who the (desperate for money) guy is... Jimmy Johnson IIRC that jumps out at me on the TV screen yelling "I'm ready to rock!!" FYI....I think he just took some "male enhancement" drug. 

Here's a heads up Jimmy, you are NOT getting laid anytime soon no matter what you do to "enhance" your male prowess.

• LOL 7
13 minutes ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

Yes, it's back. 

"I WANT MY DING DING I WANT MY DING DING I WANT MY DING DING... " etc. 

I still have no idea what they're saying or what they're selling. I do not stick around to find out. Nothing has ever made me reach for the remote faster. 

I haven't seen that one yet. Maybe there really is a god.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

That might be an iPhone commercial.  Except for some reason I thought they were saying, "I want my baby!" with the "baby" they wanted being the phone.

I just saw it, it is an iPhone/Verizon ad. The "singer" is saying "baby." The "song" is, um, not melodic and seems intended to drive one to feel stabby. Mission accomplished!

• LOL 10
3 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I just saw it, it is an iPhone/Verizon ad. The "singer" is saying "baby." The "song" is, um, not melodic and seems intended to drive one to feel stabby. Mission accomplished!

Yeah, first time I saw it I thought it was  that godawful  Brit group  The Ting Tings. And thought  they were "singing" (heh) "I want  my TV." 

Apple --- bringing  crap music to  commercials since forever.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Joe Namath is back in a new updated commercial (relevant to Corona) for MediCal (?). His veneers have gotten much larger and his face has gotten more plastic looking.

When I saw his original commercial I had no idea he was Joe Namath. He looked nothing like an older version of JN. I would've guessed every male human being on the planet before I said " that's Joe Namath".

Just a word of advice Joe...get a better plastic surgeon.

• Love 3