Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I guess I'm lucky because my HOA does a fine job.   I've got one neighbor a few doors down who's downright nasty and messy, so thank goodness my HOA constantly keeps him in check.  

• Love 2

I have never and will never use Facebook messenger, not just because of this ad. Nonetheless, their current ad with "All Together Now" irritates me to no end. They crop the song - which I know is common in commercials for time - but they cut parts out in the middle. So the lyrics skip around. I love that song. I know that song. And every time I try to sing along it gets fucked up because of how they edited it.

• Love 10
On 6/1/2020 at 6:56 AM, Browncoat said:

My mother never asked us what we wanted for supper.  She made food and we ate it or not.  No special food for kids, no chasing around the house with food, not even putting cheese on broccoli. 

And I’ll bet that was after you’d walked uphill to school in a blizzard —both ways! 😉 

On 6/1/2020 at 1:55 PM, janie jones said:

I fucking hate this commercial: https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oNFe/kim-crawford-wines-marketplace-song-by-lolo

The more I see it, the more I hate it.  And I know I'm probably overthinking it, but: It depicts this basic lady in her basic athleisure as some boss bitch other women are in awe of because she gets this certain wine.  Whenever I see this commercial, I think, this commercial is just telling Karens they're better than everyone else.

I hope she pays for the sunglasses.

I don’t see the lady as a Karen but I do hate that song!! It’s so obnoxious (and infuriatingly easy to get stuck in my head)

11 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

You couldn't pay me to live in a neighborhood with an HOA.

That’s good since it’s normally the other way around. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Remember, kids, you can't spell association without 'ass'.

I'm surprised her name isn't Karen.  (Maybe that was too easy.)

• LOL 4
12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I have a friend who had a wood plaque with a Peace sign followed by the word Peace in her front window. Her HOA said she had to remove it. What she told them can't be repeated in polite company. The sign remained in her window for many years until she moved.

Quoting myself to take it to small talk.

• Love 1
On 6/1/2020 at 1:55 PM, janie jones said:

The more I see it, the more I hate it.  And I know I'm probably overthinking it, but: It depicts this basic lady in her basic athleisure as some boss bitch other women are in awe of because she gets this certain wine.  Whenever I see this commercial, I think, this commercial is just telling Karens they're better than everyone else.

I came here to gripe about this very same commercial.  The smug look on her face annoys me when she takes the sunglasses

And color me clueless - but what are 'Karens' (I'm guessing it's a stereotypical basic chick) and why the name Karen (is it named after someone famous whose the epitome of basic?)

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, ctlady said:

I came here to gripe about this very same commercial.  The smug look on her face annoys me when she takes the sunglasses

And color me clueless - but what are 'Karens' (I'm guessing it's a stereotypical basic chick) and why the name Karen (is it named after someone famous whose the epitome of basic?)

Google  "I want to speak with your manager" haircut.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Google  "I want to speak with your manager" haircut.

LOL I just learned this one. My sister-in-law has that haircut (and she's a very nice person). Should I tell her?

• LOL 8
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 1:55 PM, janie jones said:

I fucking hate this commercial: https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oNFe/kim-crawford-wines-marketplace-song-by-lolo

I despise that basic bitch as well. She reminds me of proud self-described CR/SR Lala from Vanderpump Rules. I do get a brief chuckle when it appears she is cropdusting those awestruck women in the store, tho.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 7:16 PM, icemiser69 said:

I hate the potato pay commercial with a passion.

I would love it if the dad told his daughter that the broccoli was going to end up in her one way or the other.  She could either eat it or it could take an alternate route, but it would get there.  

Yeah, a lot of people would be upset by a father making an empty threat to his child, but as a child I was always told what to eat.  It wasn't up for discussion, and there wasn't any deal making.  If I refused to eat something, I wasn't allowed to do what I wanted to do until I ate what I was told to eat.

There are times when parents are flat out wrong and they need to listen to their children.  A child refusing to eat broccoli isn't one of them.

Am I missing something or watching a new version of the commercial?  When I see it, they give her one Oreida french fry each time she eats a mouth of vegetable.  

Edited by Ubiquitous
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Bleu by Channel. Way to grind David Bowie's fantastic song "Starman" into the ground.  And who names a cologne after a stinky cheese?

Edited by chenoa333
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Bleu by Channel. Way to grind David Bowie's fantastic song "Starman" into the ground.  And who names a cologne after a stinky cheese?

First thing that occurred to me as well. Bleh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 5/23/2020 at 4:22 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

At this point I would accept ads for flaming bags of dog crap.  Anything but the Plexaderm screecher and the oddest looking woman ever who is happy it minimized her forehead lines.  Seriously, she has tiny eyes and a big nose, but she thinks people are looking at her forehead? Even in a commercial focusing on it, it's the last thing I notice about her face.  

I think this every single time I see the commercial.  And her hairline is so low, it's almost indistinguishable from her eyebrows.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Y'know, I used to think the Sonic ads with those two idiot guys were bad.  The new ones are so much worse.  I can't hit mute fast enough when one of them come on.  The old ones did not inspire me to eat there, but the new ones inspire me to take long detours to avoid even driving near a Sonic.

• LOL 5
  • Love 7

Yeah, the Sonic ads are stupid, but I LUV soft serve, and the ads have me craving those 
Blizzard like ice cream things. I'm not quite ready to do drive-thru right now, but I am seriously tempted. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Y'know, I used to think the Sonic ads with those two idiot guys were bad.  The new ones are so much worse.  I can't hit mute fast enough when one of them come on.  The old ones did not inspire me to eat there, but the new ones inspire me to take long detours to avoid even driving near a Sonic.

Yeah, I was so excited when I saw they finally had new people. I hated those two idiots so much and kept wishing they'd replace them. Unfortunately, they replaced them with people who are just as bad. I don't want the two idiots to come back but I don't want these to stay. Come on Sonic surely you can find someone better.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 6/3/2020 at 10:57 PM, theatremouse said:

I have never and will never use Facebook messenger, not just because of this ad. Nonetheless, their current ad with "All Together Now" irritates me to no end. They crop the song - which I know is common in commercials for time - but they cut parts out in the middle. So the lyrics skip around. I love that song. I know that song. And every time I try to sing along it gets fucked up because of how they edited it.

I came here to see if anyone mentioned that yet! “Da da da Sail the Ship, Da da da Chop the Tree, Da da da...Look At MEEEE!”  What the heck happened to “Skip the Rope”????!

And I DO us FB Messenger (a lot) - but I didn’t even know what that ad was for though because I just get so ticked off when they screw up the song!

Edited by The Wild Sow
Typo
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

I came here to see if anyone mentioned that yet! “Da da da Sail the Ship, Da da da Chop the Tree, Da da da...Look At MEEEE!”  What the heck happened to “Skip the Rope”????!

And I DO us FB Messenger (a lot) - but I didn’t even know what that ad was for though because I just get so ticked off when they screw up the song!

The song is familiar but I don't know the lyrics, so skipping a line or two doesn't bother me. I actually enjoy this one when it comes on because the song is so cheerful.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ashforth said:

The song is familiar but I don't know the lyrics, so skipping a line or two doesn't bother me. I actually enjoy this one when it comes on because the song is so cheerful.

I'm not sure, but it might be illegal not to know the lyrics to Beatles classic songs.

• LOL 15
  • Love 1

This ad absolutely infuriates me.

Not only are Grubhub and other delivery services not friends of your local restaurant, they are a parasitic organism bleeding restaurants through high fees, exploiting a pandemic that has limited or closed indoor dining in many states.

(Was that too harsh?)

• Useful 5
  • Love 10
43 minutes ago, xaxat said:

(Was that too harsh?)

Nope, they're awful. 

Thankfully, all the local restaurants I order from have managed to keep their in-house delivery driver(s) employed.

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Not only are Grubhub and other delivery services not friends of your local restaurant, they are a parasitic organism bleeding restaurants through high fees, exploiting a pandemic that has limited or closed indoor dining in many states.

(Was that too harsh?)

Not a bit.

• Love 4

First Knix, now 'Shapermint'. I'm old, and even though I'm skinny, I'm still saggy and go out of my way not to look at myself naked in a mirror. So I can only goggle in disbelief at parades of bulgy, floppy, wrinkly bodies stuffed into sausage-casing underwear, meant to inspire me to buy their products.

I'm sure I'm way out of step here, but I prefer to watch (and imagine myself as) a sleek lady keeping time at bay. These ads make that pretty difficult. 

• Love 9

I absolutely despise the Cynthia commercial.  While I know it's exaggerated, it's still totally stupid. I know HOA's can be bad (the one where I used to live had to approve what shade of white you could use on the outside of your house), I think that destroying someone's personal items would be illegal.  So she should not be able to cut down their mailbox and their flower pots.

Another one I cannot stand is Flo who throws back the newspapers the kid throws on the lawn, and how she is trying to intimidate a bird so as not to crap on the car.  Totally stupid.

• Love 9
(edited)
On 6/7/2020 at 8:01 AM, cynicat said:

I'm not sure, but it might be illegal not to know the lyrics to Beatles classic songs.

Likers clicked on Laugh, but seriously, it should be illegal, if not immoral.

Speaking of which, the worst abomination of ripping off The Beatles for TV commercials was many years ago when Target used "Hello Goodbye" to sell toilet paper!  Good buy, get it?  Ha ha ha ha.  Not.

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 6/5/2020 at 3:27 PM, chenoa333 said:

Bleu is the French word for blue, and Chanel is a French company.  Agree to the usage of "Starman" to sell perfume.  It doesn't even make sense, except for the blue lighting in the ad.  Leave Bowie alone!

• Love 4
On 6/7/2020 at 1:58 PM, xaxat said:

(Was that too harsh?)

When was the last time you tipped your mother for serving you a meal?  Treat restaurants like family.  Stop tipping!  Also, you remember when your mom said you'll eat what's served to you and that she's not running a restaurant?  😄

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 6/9/2020 at 11:51 AM, CrystalBlue said:

Bleu is the French word for blue,

Oh. Obviously I didn't know that! Lol. Wish I could speak French or some other "romance" language. It's on my bucket list. It's the only thing on my bucket list. I don't aim for the stars anymore.

Anyway, there's a NyQuil commercial with some woman laying in bed with really gross, inflamed nostrils.

Even more disgusting are her 5 (?) male roommates who are fat and obnoxious and being completely disrespectful of the female roommate being ill.

Dumbass commercial. I can't believe companies pay millions for this crap.

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 7
55 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Oh. Obviously I didn't know that! Lol. Wish I could speak French or some other "romance" language. It's on my bucket list. It's the only thing on my bucket list. I don't aim for the stars anymore.

Anyway, there's a NyQuil commercial with some woman laying in bed with really gross, inflamed nostrils.

Even more disgusting are her 5 (?) male roommates who are fat and obnoxious and being completely disrespectful of the female roommate being ill.

Dumbass commercial. I can't believe companies pay millions for this crap.

I know which NyQuil ad you're talking about.  I took it as her hubby (or live-in boyfriend?) invited his pals over while his wife/gf is crashed out.  I always think, Is throwing popcorn all over the floor really a thing?

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I always think, Is throwing popcorn all over the floor really a thing?

I hope not. But I'm sure the ad agency thinks that it's a really cool thing to portray men as silly idiots. If anything, more men today, in the 21st century are clean and nothing like those D-heads in that commercial.

And women doing cartwheels,singing in happy unison because they have a new form of birth control. 

Obviously, I don't have a DVR. No fast forward for me! Lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
12 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I know which NyQuil ad you're talking about.  I took it as her hubby (or live-in boyfriend?) invited his pals over while his wife/gf is crashed out.  I always think, Is throwing popcorn all over the floor really a thing?

I've been known to throw popcorn or chips at the TV during disappointing sports and TV moments while my dog is happy to clean up the mess. Its kind of a win-win I feel better and my dog is happy to get a belly full of popcorn or chips. I may have learned from my mother.

Edited by andromeda331
  • LOL 11
(edited)
On 6/10/2020 at 7:29 PM, CrystalBlue said:

I thought they were the loud guys in the next apartment.

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I sleep to Pluto's Cold Case Files channel. Bill Kurtis' voice is so soothing. It's better for sleeping than Forensic Files or New Detectives or even Unsolved Mysteries. I don't want anything on that will keep me interested, I just want the drone of the tv. When I'm awake, I like Cold Case Files, but for sleeping, with the sound low, it's perfect and they repeat the episodes often. I might be tied of BTK though. But, back to the ads, on Pluto they advertise other channels and networks, a lot. I have never watched nor will I, some comedy show on some network where they keep screaming about "put a bird on it!" And, the only reason I ever watch WE is for Law and Order. I'm the one that started the WE TV, the trashy and tacky thread. I dislike most reality tv and WE has the worst of the worst with the exception of Naked and Afraid. But all of WE's bride shows annoy the crap out of me and so do their ads. The one where some woman is on a sidewalk screaming into a cell phone, "NO.More. Brides." makes me want to punch her lights out. I had problems getting to sleep last night and kept hearing that one.

I'm also getting tired of All Together Now and Iko Iko. I like both songs, but I'm sick of them.

• Love 7

I hope not. But I'm sure the ad agency thinks that it's a really cool thing to portray men as silly idiots. If anything, more men today, in the 21st century are clean and nothing like those D-heads in that commercial.

My husband hates that commercial as much as I do. Why do they think it's cool to show men being insensitive, nasty pigs all the time?

Bill Kurtis' voice is so soothing.

This is a fact.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

on Pluto they advertise other channels and networks

I keep seeing the one for "Stories by AMC" where there's guy at the end, in front of an open portal shining with light and a bunch of people behind him (in our foreground) and the voice-over says, "The squirrel is yours."  Even though I now know it's "This world is yours," I still hear "The squirrel is yours."

And that woman's screaming about "NO OTHER BRIDES."  Apparently, there's a Bridezilla who wants her special day all to herself.  So what?  On Pluto, I vaccilate between America's Test Kitchen and Leverage. Leverage is so preposterous, but so cleverly written, you want so much for this to be a real thing.

• Love 3

I do NOT approve of State Farm splicing footage of a new actor into their classic "Jake from State Farm" commercial. Every time I see the new guy pop up I wish it were the original commercial instead, and the futuristic car commercial where the guy refers to the character as Jake from State Farm as if that's his actual legal name lights a flame of anger within me. I get that the guy from the original commercial was a real employee rather than a professional actor, but they should have just made a new character for this current marketing campaign rather than trying to sell us on Fake from State Farm.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm sorry but I hate the commercial that uses the song Hey, Good Lookin', What You Got Cookin' so much. The guy's voice is so nasal and twangy and ...annoying. 

I don't mind it, I believe that is the original Hank Williams (Sr.). I grew up with that song and all of his music. I hated it as a kid, but don't mind it so much now because it reminds me of my parents and I like thinking about them now and then. I used that version of that song for a slide show for my mom's funeral.

Add me to the hatred of the gecko blooper reel.

• Love 8
On 6/9/2020 at 2:56 PM, CrystalBlue said:

When was the last time you tipped your mother for serving you a meal?  Treat restaurants like family.  Stop tipping!  Also, you remember when your mom said you'll eat what's served to you and that she's not running a restaurant?  😄

That reminds me of a cartoon I saw with a "family style" restaurant with a waitress chiding customers for not eating their vegetables.  😃

Yeah, I never use those services b/c I end up paying double for my meal.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ubiquitous said:

Yeah, I never use those services b/c I end up paying double for my meal.

Which reminds me of that Panera Bread commercial that says they deliver and shows a dad and son chowing down on their delivered sandwiches. WTF? It’s a sandwich. No way in hell am I gonna pay $40 for sandwich delivery when I can make a couple of them for $5. I am not that lazy. 

• Love 13
26 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Damn you  Bioré with this icky skincare commercial that I hadn't seen before today. I happened to be eating when it came on... 😠

I KNOW!   Eeeewww!  I don't want to see that gross stuff!

• Love 6