Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Awwww, shave-shmave, I don't care. Of course I say that as someone who is (1) a very lazy shaver, (2) an annoyingly sensitive-skinned person, and (3) relatively hairless but for my head. So carry on--who cares what I think?! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Why so many commercials lately featuring women who haven’t shaved their underarms or legs since the Ice Age?  The ads for “Billy” are the worst; they demonstrate the razor in action, removing a thick clump of gnarly underarm hair. Blech!  No one needs to see THAT to understand what razors are for. 

Why are women supposed to be hairless? Except for the thick, shiny, long, bouncy locks on their heads... bah.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

Why are women supposed to be hairless? Except for the thick, shiny, long, bouncy locks on their heads... bah.

Because women are supposed to be hairless, just like women are supposed to have large breasts yet have bodies like 10 year olds.  🤢

Edited by Neurochick
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 15

I love those Billie commercials - they're an explicit response to decades worth of commercials in which razors are advertised by women "shaving" already hairless legs.  (Somehow, this is not a problem in razor commercials featuring men - they shave faces with, gasp, stubble on them.  Ya know, showing the product doing what it's being sold to do.)  The fact women have hair on their bodies is not gross, something to be hidden from delicate eyes; body hair is as natural and normal on women as it is on men, and everyone is free to do what they please with theirs. 

• Love 15
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

I love those Billie commercials - they're an explicit response to decades worth of commercials in which razors are advertised by women "shaving" already hairless legs.  (Somehow, this is not a problem in razor commercials featuring men - they shave faces with, gasp, stubble on them.  Ya know, showing the product doing what it's being sold to do.)  The fact women have hair on their bodies is not gross, something to be hidden from delicate eyes; body hair is as natural and normal on women as it is on men, and everyone is free to do what they please with theirs. 

This is true.  (I haven't seen any Billie commercials yet.)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Darlabutterfly said:

Has anyone else noticed in those ads for Shriner's Hospital that that bear is in almost every shot whether it be a blanket (oh so adorable) or the actual teddy bear?

No, but that's interesting.  Apparently the Shriners Hospitals for Children have teddy bears for sale from Build-A-Bear and Vermont Teddy Bear, and more.

• Love 1
On 7/7/2020 at 2:18 PM, proserpina65 said:

Perhaps they realized the futility of keeping the cats off the counter.  Because you know they get up there when no one is home to chase them off.

That you know of.  Who knows what they've done when you weren't home?

The words "potato sack" come to mind, although about them on me, not you.

You are so kind to say "not you".   Actually, a potato sack with a sack full of doorknobs might be a better description of me!   I take no credit  for that description, my Dad used to say that all the time when I was a kid...I don't even remember why

On 7/7/2020 at 2:16 PM, icemiser69 said:

I've never been a fan of the song.  No matter who sings it, it is like nails on a chalkboard.

I haven't listened to that much of Willie Nelson, I don't know if he has any music that would make me want to sing along or not.  That is probably a good thing, since I have a horrible singing voice.   I am sure my cats are thankful for me not singing.

There seems to be quite a few ads for over the counter anxiety medication of various types, as well as pills to improve memory.  I have seen at least three different product commercials on memory pills alone.

I am getting more and more annoyed at the tiny print at the bottom of the television screen which I can't read.

Not a big fan of Willie Nelson either, always remember that joke Joan Rivers made about his headband --- It's an odor eater!     However, I have a CD that a like a lot ---- I actually got up and got it so I could quote the title properly as I don't trust my memory....

Called "Stardust."  All ballards, like Unchained Melody, and my favorite, Someone to Watch Over Me.  I find it relaxing on a stressful day.  You can check out Amazon for other tunes if interested.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, oceanview said:

Oh thank you...Now I want to see the ad so I can satisfy my curiosity.  Been driving me nuts.

I had been trying to figure it out for a while and decided it was Mira Sorvino. I'll accept the answer that it's Laurie Metcalf as long as I never have to see the ad again

12 hours ago, oceanview said:

Not a big fan of Willie Nelson either, always remember that joke Joan Rivers made about his headband --- It's an odor eater!     However, I have a CD that a like a lot ---- I actually got up and got it so I could quote the title properly as I don't trust my memory....

Called "Stardust."  All ballards, like Unchained Melody, and my favorite, Someone to Watch Over Me.  I find it relaxing on a stressful day.  You can check out Amazon for other tunes if interested.

To Small Talk I go!

(edited)
On 7/8/2020 at 1:20 PM, Bastet said:

That's what I like about the Billie commercials, too.  Any razor can glide across hairless skin; I want to see the product in action.  But seeing someone take a razor to a full-grown patch of hair gives me the willies.  When you see the person shaving their full-grown pit, all I can think of is all the hair tangled in the razor and it grosses me out.

On 7/8/2020 at 6:47 AM, Mrs. P. said:

Halo ice cream, a low calorie (but quite expensive) frozen treat.

I haven't seen the commercial, but I think this points to a possible reason why they featured an overweight person.  They might be trying to imply it's "safe" to eat if you're dieting?

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

I haven't seen the commercial, but I think this points to a possible reason why they featured an overweight person.  They might be trying to imply it's "safe" to eat if you're dieting?

Fat people have every right to eat what they want to eat. They don't have to "diet" or search out allegedly "safe" foods. This isn't directed at you @janie jones, but really people, come on. We all know that commercials routinely seek to push people to buy products they don't need.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 13

For no reason, I don’t like Daily Harvest Emily one bit. I don’t like the way she eats with a spoon, I don’t like how she starts to open the lid even before the person handing the cup to her even lets go of it, and I especially don’t like they way she sips from a straw! OK, I guess that’s not for NO reason—it’s just no GOOD reason.

And it seems like you would have to buy a new freezer just to accommodate all the product you get from their service. I'm sorry, I'm not Aunt Bee. I don't have a nephew who's a sheriff who can afford such a luxury.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 7/7/2020 at 10:23 AM, SnarkySheep said:

One of my coworkers is such a germaphobe, she actually went online and bought this black light thingy, which would allow her to check her hotel rooms when traveling.

Most of us agreed this would make a story worthy of a Stephen King novel.

I believe that made into a movie already CreepShow, Stephen King was in one of the stories

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

And it seems like you would have to buy a new freezer just to accommodate all the product you get from their service. I'm sorry, I'm not Aunt Bee. I don't have a nephew who's a sheriff who can afford such a luxury.

Didn't that freezer keep breaking down, leaving Aunt Bee with a side of beef that was rapidly turning into landfill?

• Love 4
On 7/7/2020 at 9:25 PM, TattleTeeny said:

For no reason, I don’t like Daily Harvest Emily one bit.

Me either. 'Emily hasn't been grocery shopping in weeks!'  That must be why she's eating what looks like a toxic waster smoothie. I mean seriously, figs and walnuts- can you imagine how gritty and seedy that would be in real life?

She just looks so smugly convinced of her perfection. And those things must cost a fortune, especially if that's all you eat.

Also, fat girl dancing while eating fake ice cream: she is overweight, but I thought she had a nice shape.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Didn't that freezer keep breaking down, leaving Aunt Bee with a side of beef that was rapidly turning into landfill?

Until she did as Andy suggested and called the man, who sold them a new freezer.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I don't care either way about their commercials, however I have used Daily Harvest before and can attest to their meals being yummy.  Not as huge as they make them look, but the portions aren't ridiculously small either.  The smoothies are amazing and they really do have big chunks of fruit.

• Useful 2
On 7/7/2020 at 11:23 AM, SnarkySheep said:

One of my coworkers is such a germaphobe, she actually went online and bought this black light thingy, which would allow her to check her hotel rooms when traveling.

Is that the same as the little black light flashlight that comes packaged with some pet stain cleaners?  I got one of those once, and I don’t think I’ve walked barefoot in my house since. 

• LOL 6

Almost always, I read posts until I find someone hating on whatever my current irritating ad is, and leave feeling validated.  But, alas, I haven't found anyone dissing this one, so I must post myself.  

Frozen mac & cheese with the guy saying "this is so creamy" and then, to the dog, "too bad you're a dog, because this is really creamy." 
(1) Creamy is a texture.  Do we not care about how it tastes, only how it feels?
(2) It is never "too bad" to be a dog.  They are already more than the human race deserves.

MOO.
/rant off

• LOL 7
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Also, fat girl dancing while eating fake ice cream: she is overweight, but I thought she had a nice shape.

Also she has a beautiful face and hair.

10 minutes ago, GeorgiaRai said:

Almost always, I read posts until I find someone hating on whatever my current irritating ad is, and leave feeling validated.  But, alas, I haven't found anyone dissing this one, so I must post myself.  

Frozen mac & cheese with the guy saying "this is so creamy" and then, to the dog, "too bad you're a dog, because this is really creamy." 
(1) Creamy is a texture.  Do we not care about how it tastes, only how it feels?
(2) It is never "too bad" to be a dog.  They are already more than the human race deserves.

MOO.
/rant off

I hate that ad too.  Don’t tease a dog with your delicious people-food!  His anguished whine broke my heart 🙁

• Love 8
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

This annoys me in a Starburst commercial that says something about how it tastes "juicy."

Not to be all “that guy”, but aren’t cream and juice things that have flavor?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I’m weirded out by that Subway ad with the guy singing about $5 foot longs while banging on his keyboard and staring very aggressively into camera.  Creepy.  Ok not as creepy as their guy Jared but still off-putting.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Above and beyond that, what are the odds that you could ask someone in the bathroom  for a tampon and the woman you are talking to would ask you what size and then proceed to pull out every friggin' size out of her tote, along with a chart and an explanation for each size along with chart?

If you don't go into public bathrooms that prepared, you are a bad citizen.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Is that the same as the little black light flashlight that comes packaged with some pet stain cleaners?  I got one of those once, and I don’t think I’ve walked barefoot in my house since. 

Not sure...I was so horrified with the basic concept, I didn't want to hear anything more about it, let alone SEE it...

• Love 2

I hate the American Home Shield commercial that has homeowners facing ridiculously exaggerated problems, like the woman whose air conditioner is blowing so hard that it blows her - in her recliner - out the door and then down the street. But that's not the worst. The worst is the woman whose kitchen sink plumbing is spraying gallons and gallons of water on her - while she holds a plate with sandwich that is soaked, as if she is going to eat it. I could vomit just writing those words. 

I get that the exaggeration is supposed to be funny, but to me it's just stupid. It's the sandwich that sends me over the edge, though, don't ask me why, but it is nauseating and gross and I hate American Home Shield for inflicting this on me many multiples of times a day. Make me roll my eyes, make me hit the mute button, but don't make me gag.

• Love 15
5 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

I’m weirded out by that Subway ad with the guy singing about $5 foot longs while banging on his keyboard and staring very aggressively into camera.  Creepy.  Ok not as creepy as their guy Jared but still off-putting.

hate that commercial and have to mute it when it comes on. Almost as annoying is the fact that Subway is touting this return of the $5 foot long as some big favor they’re doing us all when you actually have to buy two at the regular price before you can get one for $5. That’s not how the deal used to go and I do not need three foot long sandwiches. 

• Love 11
45 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

hate that commercial and have to mute it when it comes on. Almost as annoying is the fact that Subway is touting this return of the $5 foot long as some big favor they’re doing us all when you actually have to buy two at the regular price before you can get one for $5. That’s not how the deal used to go and I do not need three foot long sandwiches. 

Right?? For all that money I can go to my local place and get an awesome (and HUGE like enough for 3 lunches) eggplant parm sub.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Also she has a beautiful face and hair.

I hate that ad too.  Don’t tease a dog with your delicious people-food!  His anguished whine broke my heart 🙁

I'm so glad someone posted about that ad. I hate it too, it's stupid at best and cruel at worst.

Not to be all “that guy”, but aren’t cream and juice things that have flavor?

Not specific flavor, no. 

• Love 5

The sandwich in the Home Shield commercial doesn't bother me because the bread is so obviously some sponge-like material.  

The Subway deal is not buy 2 at regular price and then get a third for $5.   It's $5  per sandwich if you buy 2 (and order online).  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I suppose, but -- at least with juice -- you kind of have to narrow it down. Cranberry juice and...let's say...gastric juice probably taste very different. And "juice" in the dictionary is basically just "moisture" or "fluid." And "cream" in and of itself probably does not taste like what people imagine.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

When your previous spokesman is a fiveheaded pedophile with a Joker grin, there's really not anywhere to go but up.

• LOL 9
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

No.  LOL - j/k 🙂  But if they meant it tastes like the layer of fat you skim off of cow's milk before it's homogenized... even worse.

(Ok, I admit the basis for my annoyance with that is pretty flimsy, but then he teases the poor dog & I'm back on the Hate Train.)

• Love 4
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Not specific flavor, no. 

2 hours ago, GeorgiaRai said:

No.  LOL - j/k 🙂  But if they meant it tastes like the layer of fat you skim off of cow's milk before it's homogenized... even worse.

(Ok, I admit the basis for my annoyance with that is pretty flimsy, but then he teases the poor dog & I'm back on the Hate Train.)

I feel obligated to step in and defend cream.  In  my coffee? (not every day, but sometimes...)  Whipped, on my dessert?  I'll take that flavor.

I'll let it go for juice, though.  My first thought was fruit juice, which seems like a tasty thing, but now that it's been brought to my attention that there are a lot of other juices, well, ewww.  Now all I can think of is the drippings in the raw meat container.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Ashforth said:

The worst is the woman whose kitchen sink plumbing is spraying gallons and gallons of water on her - while she holds a plate with sandwich that is soaked, as if she is going to eat it. I could vomit just writing those words. 

I've never noticed a sandwich; I've seen the commercial several times recently and what drives me nuts is that they're apparently too stupid to turn off the water/power to the malfunctioning fixture/appliance, instead just grinning like idiots and apparently letting the damage worsen until someone approved by their lovely little insurance policy is brought in to fix it (and good luck getting coverage for the portion of the damage sustained due to that failure to mitigate).

Like you said, these are exaggerated scenarios for "comedic" effect, but, like you, I don't find it funny.  Especially since both homeowners portrayed as so ignorant and inept in the face of a problem are women.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

I've never noticed a sandwich; I've seen the commercial several times recently and what drives me nuts is that they're apparently too stupid to turn off the water/power to the malfunctioning fixture/appliance, instead just grinning like idiots and apparently letting the damage worsen until someone approved by their lovely little insurance policy is brought in to fix it (and good luck getting coverage for the portion of the damage sustained due to that failure to mitigate).

Like you said, these are exaggerated scenarios for "comedic" effect, but, like you, I don't find it funny.  Especially since both homeowners portrayed as so ignorant and inept in the face of a problem are women.

I'd hate to see their water bill.

• Love 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't find it funny.  Especially since both homeowners portrayed as so ignorant and inept in the face of a problem are women.

Don't forget the guy in the middle, with the dryer spitting out clothes.  OK, there's a woman there, too, but it's the dude who opens the door to the trebuchet, uh, dryer. And, as one who had a flood due to a faulty valve last December, the nincompoop in the kitchen annoys me to no end.  On a shallow note, that old woman in the chair being blown down the sidewalk needs to stop dyeing her hair. Nothing makes an old woman look older than to have dark hair like that with nary a streak of grey.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • LOL 6

I thought he was developmentally challenged too he’s probably a kid of the father who is the producer of the commercials. And what is with that chicks eyes and face scary 

Oh, COME ON NOW!  She sees him and says "Oh, Jake from State Farm"  Like he is recognizable instantly!  That STILL is not Jake from State Farm.  Quit trying to make this a thing, okay, State Farm?

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'd hate to see their water bill.

That reminds me of the Cascade (?) commercial where it states that people use up to 20 gallons of water pre-rinsing their dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.  20 gallons?  What the heck are these people putting on their plates?  (I get that "up to" are the important words here.) 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

That reminds me of the Cascade (?) commercial where it states that people use up to 20 gallons of water pre-rinsing their dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.  20 gallons?  What the heck are these people putting on their plates?  (I get that "up to" are the important words here.) 

There is one commercial for a dishwasher detergent and another for dish detergent. If it's for Dawn Foaming Powerwash, it is absolutely awesome! I bought it because of the commercial. Not sure why it works so well but it does. Spray it on, quick wipe, clean. I got a top of the line Bosch dishwasher, and I don't have to do a prewash before the dishes go in. Bosch recommends Finish. I think it has more to do with the dishwasher than the detergent. 

• Useful 2
12 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Oh, COME ON NOW!  She sees him and says "Oh, Jake from State Farm"  Like he is recognizable instantly!  That STILL is not Jake from State Farm.  Quit trying to make this a thing, okay, State Farm?

I like the new Jake from State Farm. The commercial parodying "The Bachelorette" is particularly hilarious. And now he pops up in a supersecret spy facility that's producing the next Bond-mobile, and the woman is clearly miffed. The way she says "Oh, Jake from State Farm" indicates to me that he's a regular nemesis of theirs with his practical insurance advice and that why she knows him. I think it's very funny.

The original commercial (and its subsequent versions, first with "new" Jake and then including"old" Jake) with the weird whispering husband calling SF at 3 am about his insurance plan and the angry, suspicious wife are and have always been terrible and can be retired any time. Any time meaning, like, now. Isn't it the only ad that the old Jake was ever in? I always hated it.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

There’s also this weird commercial that says you save water by running your dishwasher every night, even if there’s like 4 items in it .  WTF?

For some reason, the urine wicking device is showing their ad constantly for the last two days.    I loathe hearing about it, the people on it remind me of someone I used to know, and that I didn't like.   

Also, I don't care if that Therawork stuff is effective or not, get Dr. Drew off my TV.    

• LOL 1
  • Love 4