Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

The Sheba cat food ad bothers me. It's the one where a child yells from the other room that he fell. The mom sitting on the couch has her cat on her shoulder. She's not alarmed at all. She tells him to get a bandaid. He yells back that he's bleeding. Still sitting there, the mom tells him, "get two". The message from this ad is her cat is more important. I love cats, too, but this ad is BAD.

8 hours ago, Katy M said:

I can't take any more of the "you're all in it together" commercials.  I can't handle them for 3 more years, so I'm hoping the ad companies get sick of them also.

Is that the Microsoft Teams ad? I mute that one. I don't want to be reminded constantly of the pandemic. 

• Love 7
On 5/2/2020 at 6:56 PM, KLovestoShop said:

I hate the cat food commercial where the mother is sitting on the couch with a cat perched on her shoulder, and her daughter yells that she’s fallen.  Mom just sits there with the damn cat, and tells the kid to get a bandage. The kid says “Mom, I’m bleeding” and the Mother of the Year just tells her to get two bandages, and then goes to crack open a container of cat food.  While the commercial is just dumb, I don’t get it at all. 

I absolutely despise this commercial. I guess they were going for.......... Oh Hell, I have no idea WTF they were going for. The alleged "humor" is so subtle as to be non-existent. And the cat mom is creepy AF too. If I was a cat owner this commercial would not convince me to buy this cat food.

• Love 7
On 5/2/2020 at 9:09 PM, Mrs.Dex said:

Love Philly cream cheese. On bagels, cheesecake, in dips, etc. Hate this commercial. Not the actors, or the message. It's very sweet. But God above, the song! Ugh. I want to puke when this dipshit broad opens her mouth. (Yes, she does sounds like she's gargling saliva) And like she's got a block of Philly jammed sideways down her windpipe.  I absolutely hate these suck ass "INDIE" whiny, mumbly, breathy singers(?) They sound like they're underwater, for JC sake! Oh, and there is a new Campbells Tomato soup commercial featuring the Golden Girl's theme song... Thank You For Being A Friend....great show, great song!!! Well, the song is being butchered by yet another, whiny, mumbly off key, depressed sounding millenial Indie twit. Shame on you Campbells! If these iconic companies want to grab viewers attention by using some come catchy jingle, at least make it TOLERABLE to listen to. 

Okay @Mrs.Dex your review of this commercial is too funny but just one thing: which one are you talking about? I'm sure I've seen it but nothing comes to mind. Do you or anyone else here have a link?

I do know which Campbell's Soup commercial you're talking about and your description of both singers is hilarious, OMG!☺

• Love 3
2 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

I absolutely despise this commercial. I guess they were going for.......... Oh Hell, I have no idea WTF they were going for. The alleged "humor" is so subtle as to be non-existent. And the cat mom is creepy AF too. If I was a cat owner this commercial would not convince me to buy this cat food.

I can see why lots of people hate this ad, and completely understand.  Personally, I like it and totally get it because as a cat owner, those moments when your cat is loving on you are pretty special.  The bonus is the dig on helicopter parents who panic if their kid gets a scratch.  Yeah, it's kind of rude, but I'm on board.  

FWIW, Sheba is kitty crack, and the absolute best food to tempt cats that aren't eating well.   

• Love 14
6 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

Is that the Microsoft Teams ad? I mute that one. I don't want to be reminded constantly of the pandemic. 

It's lots of things.  It's cars, it's car insurance, it's TV netowrks, it's streaming services. And,yes, I'm with you.  If I'm watching TV, I'm trying to forget the current situation.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Let's hope the cat runs away- and reports her to the Social Services so the daughter can have a chance to be raised by folks who'd actually take her to get medical treatment for a broken limb! 

• Love 5
18 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

At this point I would accept ads for flaming bags of dog crap.  Anything but the Plexaderm screecher and the oddest looking woman ever who is happy it minimized her forehead lines.  Seriously, she has tiny eyes and a big nose, but she thinks people are looking at her forehead? Even in a commercial focusing on it, it's the last thing I notice about her face.  

What cracks me up is they use people who look like 20 miles of bad road and after the Plexaderm treatment, they look like 18 miles of bad road. YEAH! Sure makes ME want to buy the crap!!  (But at least they're not using skinny supermodels with no bags to begin with.)

• LOL 8
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, cynicat said:

I can see why lots of people hate this ad, and completely understand.  Personally, I like it and totally get it because as a cat owner, those moments when your cat is loving on you are pretty special.  The bonus is the dig on helicopter parents who panic if their kid gets a scratch.  Yeah, it's kind of rude, but I'm on board.  

FWIW, Sheba is kitty crack, and the absolute best food to tempt cats that aren't eating well.   

The problem is the so-called mother doesn't even know if it's "just" a scratch.  She has no idea the extent of the child's injury--could be minor, could be more serious--she just doesn't give a damn.   She could get up and take the cat with her to check on the kid.  The cat would probably care more about the kid.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I didn't have children, but my observation with my grandkids is their parents know them well enough to know when there is an injury that needs attention, compared to whining. Several of them went through hypochondriac phases. I remember when babysitting once the mother told me her little girl had hurt her finger over a month earlier, and she would undoubtedly come and tell me she had hurt her finger, and not to worry about it. As predicted, she came with her "hurt" finger. I inspected it, gave it a kiss, and declared it all better. 

But I do understand the mother in that ad can come across as not caring.

• Love 11
27 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I didn't have children, but my observation with my grandkids is their parents know them well enough to know when there is an injury that needs attention, compared to whining. Several of them went through hypochondriac phases. I remember when babysitting once the mother told me her little girl had hurt her finger over a month earlier, and she would undoubtedly come and tell me she had hurt her finger, and not to worry about it. As predicted, she came with her "hurt" finger. I inspected it, gave it a kiss, and declared it all better. 

But I do understand the mother in that ad can come across as not caring.

I could tell by my son's tone whether he was really hurt or just annoyed and wanting attention. This commercial seemed like the latter.

• Love 10
On 5/16/2020 at 7:57 AM, tres bien said:

Progressive it's time to dump Mara.

She's either not sober or a complete idiot.  Neither which is funny. And totally irritating. 

Agreed! I'm beginning to think that Progressive brought that a$$hole Mara on board just to punish me for my deep seething dislike for Flo.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

What cracks me up is they use people who look like 20 miles of bad road and after the Plexaderm treatment, they look like 18 miles of bad road. YEAH! Sure makes ME want to buy the crap!!  (But at least they're not using skinny supermodels with no bags to begin with.)

Plexaderm. What a crockpot of $hit shilling. And they always say it's great for special occasions, special events etc. In other words it only lasts for one day/night. 

Ask Ritchie .. he's been using it for years and he still looks like a saggy, bloated baggy eyed douche.

Edited by chenoa333
  • LOL 7
(edited)

Since the mom is more interested in the cat and refuses to get off of her lazy ass to even, you know, check on the kid, I hope the kid is clogging up the toilet with the mom's makeup.

Edited by Ohwell
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
(edited)

Sheba isn't the kind of food I feed my cat, so I'm not going to become a customer because of that ad, and I don't think it's fantastically clever or anything like that, but it consistently amuses me because of the mom's tone of voice when she says, "Okay. [perfectly-timed pause] There are bandages in the cupboard" and then follows up with, "Take two."  The first time I "saw" the commercial I only heard it, because I had the TV on in the living room but was looking at the curtain rods I was installing, and that line delivery filtered through my concentration and cracked me up.  Kudos to the actor playing the mom.

Having actually seen it several times since, it plays to me - due to not just her demeanor, but the kid's tone as well - like there is nothing actually wrong with the kid, and this is something that goes on all the time.  I figure that's what they're going for, since it's not exactly an uncommon scenario with kids.  (For my part, there was probably a year or two where I claimed my "injuries" needed bandages when they didn't, because we had cartoon ones and I liked wearing them.)

So I still chuckle a little each time.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 13
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

We should actually give them props for honesty.  That doesn't mean we have to/should buy it.  

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Back in the day, most parents I knew didn't come running every time they heard one of their children fart.  Kids used to get hurt and bandage themselves, no big deal.

Heck, when I stepped on a bee, I ran into the house crying, and one of my siblings said to me, "Imagine how the bee feels."   He had a point, I was just in pain, the bee was dead.

And the favorite stock phrase of most parents was "you'll live."  And, "that wouldn't have happened if you hadn't been doing x."  Rarely any sympathy if it was your own fault.

• Love 17
14 minutes ago, Katy M said:

And the favorite stock phrase of most parents was "you'll live."  And, "that wouldn't have happened if you hadn't been doing x."  Rarely any sympathy if it was your own fault.

I used to use a phrase I stole  form Anne Shirley. "Are you killed or merely rendered unconscious?"

• LOL 12
7 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Okay, so I have seen the CopperWear Mask commercial multiple times.   The mask is reusable, but I don't understand and I don't think the commercial says what the copper is for.  What makes it any different than any other reusable mask?

In general, commercials need to be more informative.

I had a copper ring once, it turned my finger green. 

It's hokum. Same as those products that are "revolutionary" because they contain hemp.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

The problem is the so-called mother doesn't even know if it's "just" a scratch.  She has no idea the extent of the child's injury--could be minor, could be more serious--she just doesn't give a damn.   She could get up and take the cat with her to check on the kid.  The cat would probably care more about the kid.

5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I didn't have children, but my observation with my grandkids is their parents know them well enough to know when there is an injury that needs attention, compared to whining.

You know, this clears up a lot for me.  The reason I hated that commercial wasn't that the mom didn't know that it was just a scratch, but that she somehow magically knew that the kid needed a band-aid before the kid said she was bleeding (at which point she tells her to get two).  That, coupled with the fact that the kid sounds both old enough to take care of a minor cut and to know where the band-aids are.  But if the kid is supposed to be whiny and the mom knows it, that changes the whole thing.  But if that's what they were going for, it would still be annoying, because I don't think the commercial made that clear.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Back in the day, most parents I knew didn't come running every time they heard one of their children fart.  Kids used to get hurt and bandage themselves, no big deal.

I'm just so glad and thankful that I had my parents.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Okay, so I have seen the CopperWear Mask commercial multiple times.   The mask is reusable, but I don't understand and I don't think the commercial says what the copper is for.  What makes it any different than any other reusable mask?

There is such a thing as antimicrobial copper. I have no idea if that product were actually tested and vetted and proven to be such, but it is a real thing as far as I know.

• Useful 3

As if Liberty Mutual didn't get enough coverage around here . . .

Now there's one with the LiMu Emu guy racing alongside some woman's car and yelling at her to roll down her window and hold out her hand so he can pass her a Liberty Mutual card. I can't think of a more dangerous way to promote car insurance than pulling a stunt like this that's almost guaranteed to result in a horrible car crash.

On another note, that old lady telling us how she was born during a quarantine back in 1920 and how it proves to her we'll all get through this is confused, to say the least. I fail to see what one thing has to do with the other. It's like saying "I survived the measles, so I'm sure I'll survive pneumonia too!" 

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
18 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Several years ago, that company was selling socks and knee braces with copper in them, claiming there were some health benefits.  They're merely adopting their nonsense to modern times.

18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It's hokum. Same as those products that are "revolutionary" because they contain hemp.

Heh. I saw toothpaste containing hemp at the store. No idea why!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Several years ago, that company was selling socks and knee braces with copper in them, claiming there were some health benefits.  They're merely adopting their nonsense to modern times.

Heh. I saw toothpaste containing hemp at the store. No idea why!

Since so many states have and are legalizing medical pot, they think people will believe it has magical healing powers.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

On another note, that old lady telling us how she was born during a quarantine back in 1920 and how it proves to her we'll all get through this is confused, to say the least. I fail to see what one thing has to do with the other. It's like saying "I survived the measles, so I'm sure I'll survive pneumonia too!" 

The old lady is saying that she was born during the 1918 pandemic (which I think lasted a few years).  Meaning she survived one pandemic already.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It doesn't have anything to do with the actual diseases, but the quarantining, lockdowns and shutdowns.

• Love 7

Another commercial with ann annoying start is a godaddy ad with the chick singing a "do your thing" song.

Really getting tired of ads that start out with irritating singing or instrumental music that is loud as hell. 

• Love 7
On 5/24/2020 at 12:49 PM, Ohwell said:

I think the mom would have been shown in a better light if she had inquired "how bad is it?" when the kid says, "I'm bleeding!"  It's a stupid ad concept that cats so mesmerize their humans that the owners are insensible to everything else.  Remember the previous commercial where the guy is half undressed with his wife/gf but goes to feed the cat instead?

• Love 5
(edited)

I can't hold my tongue any longer regarding the W.W. commercials.  They really need to consider replacing Oprah as their spokesperson.  If she's presently in a 'weight maintenance' mode, then fine, but how does one expect to sell the concept of 'weight loss' when their poster-lady hasn't appeared to have lost any (at least not noticeably to me) weight in the last couple of years?

And I see that the commercial for the NordicTrak bike is taking a page out of the Peloton ala 'let's work out in front of a big window with no coverings'.  And - of course - the two people in this commercial are already thin and fit

Edited by ctlady
  • Love 11

The old lady is saying that she was born during the 1918 pandemic (which I think lasted a few years).  Meaning she survived one pandemic already.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean she'll survive the second one. It's not like all pandemics are the same. 

It doesn't have anything to do with the actual diseases, but the quarantining, lockdowns and shutdowns.

The U.S. had nowhere near the shutdown during the 1918 pandemic that it does now. Again, apples and oranges. 

I know this is just another commercial that's supposed to comfort me, but . . . it doesn't.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

I think the mom would have been shown in a better light if she had inquired "how bad is it?" when the kid says, "I'm bleeding!"  It's a stupid ad concept that cats so mesmerize their humans that the owners are insensible to everything else.  Remember the previous commercial where the guy is half undressed with his wife/gf but goes to feed the cat instead?

I think it reflects badly on cats.  It's not the cats fault that the mother is neglectful.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Suzn said:

I think it reflects badly on cats.  It's not the cats fault that the mother is neglectful.

Yes, it makes it look like the cats are the devils who mesmerize their helpless owners.

• Love 3
(edited)

That kid in the commercial doesn't sound remotely distressed to me, or like someone young enough to need help (but does sound too old to not just come out and say what it needs help with, if it is indeed in distress). But who knows--maybe it's just a really stoic (and accident-prone) child!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5
On 5/25/2020 at 12:25 PM, peacheslatour said:

Since so many states have and are legalizing medical pot, they think people will believe it has magical healing powers.

It's working. My Mom swears she's getting high off of CBD gummies. And she should know better. She's 62 and actually did smoke pot.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

As if we don't have enough false and misleading information around already, I saw this on television recently:

"Hi. I'm Jan from Toyota"

No you not, you're Laurel Coppock, an actress who is paid by Toyota to play a person named "Jan".

And guess who shows up next:

"Hi. This is Lily from AT&T."

No your not Lily, you're Milana Vayntrub, and actress who is paid by AT&T to play a person named "Lily".

I wish these companies wouldn't think we are so stupid not to realize that all these "spokespersons" are just actors hired by them to play a part.  I can't think of an actor who played a part (even though he/she might be stereotyped in that role) showing up, claiming they are that person.  

It's like William Shatner appearing on the screen saying, "Well, yes, I've been to space.  I am Captain Kirk".

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, nottopbravo said:

wish these companies wouldn't think we are so stupid not to realize that all these "spokespersons" are just actors hired by them to play a part.  I can't think of an actor who played a part (even though he/she might be stereotyped in that role) showing up, claiming they are that person.  

But they're claiming it while they are on the show (commercial).

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, nottopbravo said:

It's like William Shatner appearing on the screen saying, "Well, yes, I've been to space.  I am Captain Kirk".

I think it's more like William Shatner saying "I'm Star Trek's Captain Kirk."

But I think that Lily and Jan are in character, so I don't think anything is being misrepresented.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, nottopbravo said:

I wish these companies wouldn't think we are so stupid not to realize that all these "spokespersons" are just actors hired by them to play a part. 

Wait, so Flo isn't real? You mean those bastards at Progressive have been lying to me all this time?

• LOL 22
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

The Geico gecko is just an animation? My whole worldview is shattered.

Just because he's animated doesn't mean he's not real?  Have you not seen either Who Framed Roger Rabbit or Cool World?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, nottopbravo said:

As if we don't have enough false and misleading information around already, I saw this on television recently:

No you not, you're Laurel Coppock, an actress who is paid by Toyota to play a person named "Jan".

No your not Lily, you're Milana Vayntrub, and actress who is paid by AT&T to play a person named "Lily"

Honestly, I prefer that to "these are real people, not actors." Last I checked, actors are people, even the ones who play Jan and Lily and Flo. It's not like they're robots.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, nottopbravo said:

No your not Lily, you're Milana Vayntrub, and actress who is paid by AT&T to play a person named "Lily".

I wish these companies wouldn't think we are so stupid not to realize that all these "spokespersons" are just actors hired by them to play a part.  I can't think of an actor who played a part (even though he/she might be stereotyped in that role) showing up, claiming they are that person.  

The way "Jan" and "Lily" present themselves in the these commercials it is more like their identities really are Jan and Lily.  This is a different tone than the typical acting a role in a commercial.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 5/26/2020 at 10:01 AM, ctlady said:

I can't hold my tongue any longer regarding the W.W. commercials.  They really need to consider replacing Oprah as their spokesperson.

Agreed...also, I still can't connect "WW" to Weight Watchers. My initial thought is, what's Oprah got to do with wrestling??"

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

IIRC, Oprah owns a stake (or is that steak) in Weight Watchers.  I don't think it is all that surprising that she is in the commercials. 

Yes. Rumor had it at the time that WW was in financial trouble.

In October 2015, Oprah Winfrey partnered with Weight Watchers. Winfrey bought a 10% stake in the company, became its spokesperson, joined its board of directors,

• Love 1

There's a commercial for American Family Insurance (?) where a little girl is imagining she's a coxswain.  And at the end of the commercial, her parents walk in on her in the bathroom with an overflowing sink with her boat toys in it and water all over the floor.  The parents laugh and scoop her up and give her a hug.  No one scolds the kid for wasting water.  I hope they at least have her wipe up the floor.

• Love 8

So Jake from State Farm is black now? OK clearly there is more than one Jake, since we saw two of them in one commercial. Which leaves me to wonder: Does State Farm only hire agents named Jake? Or do you have to change your name to Jake when State Farm hires you?

I'm not sure the ad agency understands what made the original Jake funny. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8