Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

There's a local lawyer here in Sacramento who usually runs the typical "call me for your legal needs" ads, but occasionally we get him telling us to read the Bible and he'll send us one if we don't have one.

• LOL 5
53 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

There are two different pizza ads talking about how they cook their pizzas at 450 degrees.   I cook mine on a pizza stone at 550 degrees.  Regardless, of course pizzas are cooked in a hot oven.  I would rather have those companies talk about the safety measures they use when putting the pizzas together, making sure their workers wash their hands, etc.  I don't care how hot an oven is, if I see an employee doing something that I don't think is sanitary, it won't matter to me what temperature the pizza is cooked at, I won't eat it.

That's the trouble though.  Delivery pizza and restaurant served pizza (a thing on coronavirus hold nowadays) isn't prepared right in front of you.  Do you make your pizza "from scratch" or buy frozen?  Is it Not Delivery But DiGiorno's?

On 6/19/2020 at 12:00 PM, mmecorday said:

I don't like that Nurx commercial, but it's much better than that birth control commercial with the elaborate song and dance production in a Whole Foodsy type store. "La La Land?" More like "La La Bland."

I think you're talking about the Paragard commercial. With "no hormones, not an ounce" Does that idiot have any idea how much an OUNCE of estrogen would be ?!?

• LOL 6
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

This local Kia commercial is making me crazy. 

The perky, overly enthusiastic voiceover chick's narration is AAF (Annoying As Fuck).  The Shakespearean actors trying to keep a straight face, especially Mr. Nutley, made me laugh, but for the wrong reason.  😄

• Love 6

I have long hated the Cancer Treatment Centers of America's misleading commercials, but this one struck me as being especially disingenuous. It implies that during the coronavirus outbreak, CTCA continues to treat cancer patients while hospitals are not.

• Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I have long hated the Cancer Treatment Centers of America's misleading commercials, but this one struck me as being especially disingenuous. It implies that during the coronavirus outbreak, CTCA continues to treat cancer patients while hospitals are not.

My daughter works in a dermatology clinic where they perform biopsies for various types of skin cancer, but they shut down for a couple months during the pandemic so there is some validity to this.  I'd heard on the news that some hospitals in highly affected areas were limiting treatment of other conditions, including cancers, but I don't know this for a fact.

Edited by Haleth
  • Useful 7

Thanks for the info, Haleth. I have two people in my life who are undergoing cancer treatment right now. My girlfriend's 8-year-old nephew is being treated for osteosarcoma (and has just about beaten it! YAY!) and a dear friend I've known for years is undergoing chemo for lymphoma. The biggest inconvenience for them -- aside from the debilitating effects of the treatment -- has been the shortage of protective masks.

47 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Thanks for the info, Haleth. I have two people in my life who are undergoing cancer treatment right now. My girlfriend's 8-year-old nephew is being treated for osteosarcoma (and has just about beaten it! YAY!) and a dear friend I've known for years is undergoing chemo for lymphoma. The biggest inconvenience for them -- aside from the debilitating effects of the treatment -- has been the shortage of protective masks.

A dear family friend of many years has been undergoing treatment for breast cancer and that has been ongoing throughout the pandemic.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Hooray for the nephew being close to beating his cancer :)! I wish both him and your friend well going forward. Same with your friend, @peacheslatour.

• Love 8
58 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Hooray for the nephew being close to beating his cancer :)! I wish both him and your friend well going forward. Same with your friend, @peacheslatour.

Thanks for the good wishes. She is having a partial mastectomy and reconstruction on the 30th and should be home a day or two after. ❤️

• Love 9
15 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I really, really, detest the "Safe drivers save forty per cent" ads.  I hate any ads that repeat things over and over again.

That's basically Advertising 101.  Repeat, repeat, repeat so people remember.  Haven't you ever wished the phone number to call was given 15 more times in the commercial so you too could write that number down and Call Today! or call Now!?  😄

The other Ad Agency Handbook basics are:

Make it humorous (when appropriate) and

Sex sells.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
On June 14, 2020 at 7:11 PM, Bastet said:

If you mean this one, no, that's not him.

Sondra and Elvin got married in season four.

And had twins...named Winnie and Nelson. Kept wishing Elvin would take the twins and leave Sondra...she was insufferable (IMO)

• Love 4
18 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

That Chewy commercial cracks me up.  Does that woman expect her puppy to hold it in until the pee pads arrive from Chewy?

That commercial is so stupid, it is unintentionally funny.

That tickles my funnybone too.  And I really want to take that little fluffer home!

• Love 9
8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't like this Perdue commercial at all.  It is incredibly unsanitary to have a toddler sitting on the kitchen counter or table. 

The kid is clothed - doesn't bother me at all.

I like the dog hanging out in the kitchen to chow down on any fallen food.

Mostly I like the song.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

When they have the commercials for Pillsbury with the Doughboy on the kitchen counter, a friend and I always comment on how unsanitary it is.  This is probably because we are just bitter ever since they discontinued a flavor of rolls that we both liked.

• LOL 11
5 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

When they have the commercials for Pillsbury with the Doughboy on the kitchen counter, a friend and I always comment on how unsanitary it is.  This is probably because we are just bitter ever since they discontinued a flavor of rolls that we both liked.

Orange?

• LOL 1
(edited)
On 6/27/2020 at 2:56 AM, KWalkerInc said:

If the Pillsbury Dough Boy was standing on the kitchen floor, he'd get squashed when someone walked in!  😧

Edited by CrystalBlue
Corrected typos.
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

This commercial bugs me.  Firstly, the music is a weird fit and I still associate it with those beer commercials.  Secondly, some of these dresses look like Grandma’s housecoat.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

I just saw an ad for some kind of special, high-end Huggies.  Apparently for people who really care about their babies, because they don’t contain something bad (parabens maybe?). Really? If your regular diapers contain something that’s bad for babies, shouldn’t you just not put it in your regular diapers?

• Love 9
33 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

Secondly, some of these dresses look like Grandma’s housecoat.

OMG, yes - most of those dresses are hideous, especially that enormous pink frock.

• LOL 3
  • Love 12
(edited)
On 6/27/2020 at 3:24 PM, Kiki777 said:

This commercial bugs me.  Firstly, the music is a weird fit and I still associate it with those beer commercials.  Secondly, some of these dresses look like Grandma’s housecoat.

Google "housedress." Apparently sack dresses are making a comeback as quarantine wear because they require even less effort than sweats. Which is true, actually. My mother regularly mail-ordered these from Lane Bryant in the '50s and '60s because they were cheap, she never left the house unless she had to, and they came in very large sizes. Now you can buy expensive versions because they have been declared fashionable.

Re: "The Ecstasy of Gold" by Ennio Morricone: Advertisers to the chic seem to have lately discovered this piece. A little before the lockdown, I saw a mens' perfume ad using it featuring a young male model in all white lounging bonelessly on heaps of sand. Can't remember the advertiser though, because I was too caught up in the ridiculousness of it.

ETA: After the ad in the link ends, one of the suggested next videos is for "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly." That description could also apply to the dresses. Hah.

Edited by CoderLady
  • LOL 5
  • Love 5
On 6/27/2020 at 4:56 AM, KWalkerInc said:

You know that Pop'n Fresh would look like an everything bagel after climbing around those kitchens selling his dough to hapless housewives all day long!

• LOL 5
On 6/27/2020 at 6:24 PM, Kiki777 said:

Strange.  I think those dresses are cool.  A lot better than everything being short and tight.  Comfort is life.

• Love 6

I'm with you on that. I think it's neat to see young women adopting the style of Thelma Harper, which I think of as less clueless granny than "this is the most comfy clothing I've found in my 65 years on this earth; deal with it!"

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

Strange.  I think those dresses are cool.  A lot better than everything being short and tight.  Comfort is life.

There has got to be something in between short/tight and unbelievably ill fitting and ugly.  I have to agree the H&M recycled, reused dresses are FUG!  Especially that pink thing.  It looks like a bed sheet just sewn together. 

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

It was bad enough with the wrong size pad commercials,  Now, I have to hear about feminine leakage.  For some reason, Flexpaste comes to mind.

I am picturing some person without looking, hopping up to sit on their counter, and getting the Pillsbury Doughboy stuck up his or her ass.  Said person goes to the ER, and the doctor says to the patient, "You have some strange giggling coming from your butt."

"It was a one in a million shot, doc. One in a million."

• LOL 16

I think the pink dress in the H&M commercial looks like a bad bridesmaid's dress for a heavily pregnant bridesmaid.

On 6/28/2020 at 12:06 PM, CoderLady said:

Google "housedress." Apparently sack dresses are making a comeback as quarantine wear because they require even less effort than sweats. Which is true, actually. My mother regularly mail-ordered these from Lane Bryant in the '50s and '60s because they were cheap, she never left the house unless she had to, and they came in very large sizes. Now you can buy expensive versions because they have been declared fashionable.

I know H&M is fast fashion, but I can't imagine it's that fast, and my guess is that this commercial was shot before quarantine.  Quarantine probably just sped up what was already coming.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

It was bad enough with the wrong size pad commercials,  Now, I have to hear about feminine leakage.  For some reason, Flexpaste comes to mind.

I am picturing some person without looking, hopping up to sit on their counter, and getting the Pillsbury Doughboy stuck up his or her ass.  Said person goes to the ER, and the doctor says to the patient, "You have some strange giggling coming from your butt."

That sounds like something Robot Chicken would do 😆😆

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 6:57 PM, friendperidot said:

re the Dennis Haybert allstate ad in the coffee shop, isn't the guy behind the counter Geoffrey Owens, who played the husband of the oldest Huxtable daughter on Cosby?

Not him there but he has shown up on some episodes of Its Always sunny in Philadelphia.  Plays a Donovan McNabb and then a Tiger woods "lookalike". 

And no, he looks nothing like either one of them. 

8 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

nothing wants me to start vaping more than those annoying commercials that are trying to be hip and convince kids to stop doing it. 

Ha, I know (although I already vape), especially that one where the guy is talking about how it made his behavior change to aggressive and irritable or something? And it’s like, get a grip, commercial. It’s nicotine, it’s not heroin. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

The ad for Subaru with the little nimrod who needs the car to tell her to keep her eyes on the road instead of looking down at her phone. The stupid look on her face when she stops, and the truck or whatever goes zipping in front of her. Like she's dumbfounded at what could have happened. Yeah, you twit. And then her mother's expression as dimwit daughter pulls safely into the driveway.  "Thank you, Subaru for allowing my easily distracted kid to get home in one piece." Ugh. One day, that Subaru isn't going to be able to save her from her own stupidity and inattentiveness behind the wheel. Or save someone else. 

• Love 16
On 6/21/2020 at 1:23 PM, icemiser69 said:

I saw a commercial for three-ply toilet paper.  I don't understand that at all.  Unless a person's ass is sandpaper rough, two-ply should be enough.

Single-ply is a non-starter, it is just too thin.

Does it come as a set with those 5-blade razors? (About which, by the way, geometry should tell people that anything more then 2 will have little to no additional effect.) 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 6/11/2020 at 5:27 PM, peacheslatour said:

I'm sorry but I hate the commercial that uses the song Hey, Good Lookin', What You Got Cookin' so much. The guy's voice is so nasal and twangy and ...annoying. 

Twangy was Hank Williams jam.

• Love 9
On ‎06‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 11:39 PM, mmecorday said:

It also implies that you don't have to wait for test results, which is crap.  There are no cancer tests (that I know of) that give you an instantaneous answer.

• Love 5
On ‎06‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 1:47 PM, Neurochick said:

There's a happy medium somewhere in between short & tight and muu muu.  Those dresses are not it, imo.

5 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

Twangy was Hank Williams jam.

Yep, although some of his songs are twangier than others.  Hey Good Lookin' is particularly twangy.  Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it is an acquired taste, methinks.

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

There's a happy medium somewhere in between short & tight and muu muu.  Those dresses are not it, imo.

Yep, although some of his songs are twangier than others.  Hey Good Lookin' is particularly twangy.  Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it is an acquired taste, methinks.

Sorry, but I love those dresses.

I also love Hank Williams, especially "Hey Good Lookin'."

• Love 7