Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

It is still unsanitary.  IIRC, Alton Brown at one point on one of his shows mentioned how unsanitary it is to have someone sit on a counter or kitchen table.

Just clean it before you use it. Easy. 

There's a commercial for some stupid singles' phone line called LavaLife. The woman in it says she's sick of internet "questioneers" and, by phone, she can "hear their real voice." She's annoying. But, way at the end, the voice-over repeating the phone number is even more so, ugh. 

Also, who uses this kind of thing?!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5

It is still unsanitary.  IIRC, Alton Brown at one point on one of his shows mentioned how unsanitary it is to have someone sit on a counter or kitchen table.

Yeah I don't see how the outside of someone's jeans is any more unsanitary than, like OUR HANDS, which go everywhere and touch everything. Just wipe the counter before putting raw food on it (and don't most people use cutting boards anyway?)

• Love 10

Cleaning the counter is just part of my life. I have cats, for one thing, and we also have an AC vent that can make things dusty in the kitchen. Plus, we throw mail, shopping bags, keys, etc., on it throughout the day.

• Love 9
21 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Sorry, but I love those dresses.

I also love Hank Williams, especially "Hey Good Lookin'."

I think those dresses are ugly as hell.  So obviously the commercial did not do a good job of selling them to me.  But to each, their own.

I do agree about Hank Williams, though I wouldn't have when I was younger.  Like I said, twang can be an acquired taste, and it's taken me decades to appreciate it.  Hell, I even like the stuff with yodeling, and I would never have thought that was possible before.  I do prefer some of his other songs (Honky Tonkin', Cold Cold Heart, So Lonesome I Could Cry, You Win Again) to Hey Good Lookin'. 

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I think those dresses are ugly as hell.  So obviously the commercial did not do a good job of selling them to me.  But to each, their own.

I do agree about Hank Williams, though I wouldn't have when I was younger.  Like I said, twang can be an acquired taste, and it's taken me decades to appreciate it.  Hell, I even like the stuff with yodeling, and I would never have thought that was possible before.  I do prefer some of his other songs (Honky Tonkin', Cold Cold Heart, So Lonesome I Could Cry, You Win Again) to Hey Good Lookin'. 

Speaking of yodeling, I am a fan of Hocus Pocus by Focus. Awesome guitar solo too.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Not sunshine and rainbows, but neither are a whole bunch of other things that end up on a counter. Again, the easy solution: just clean it before using it (and do people wipe down their chairs every day? Probably not).

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Yes, but people are supposed to wash their hands.

That is totally different than the backside part of a pair of pants that have been worn all day long.   At the end of the day, when those pants are taken off, give those suckers a whiff.  It isn't all sunshine and rainbows. 

The mask commercial where they show the dude sneeze and all of the resulting particles traveling through the air is truly disgusting.  That is almost as bad as the commercial where the person uses a cheese grater like device to grate all of that crusty callas like crap off of the bottom of their foot, that looks like a pile of Parmesan cheese.

I always think of that episode of The Big Band Theory where Penny gives Sheldon the flu in the laundry room. They show it up close, in slow motion and you can see every droplet in Hi Def.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I have stopped watching Animal Planet at lunch time because they insist on running this ad for the Humane Society that is at least 5 minutes long and consists of some woman in a plaintive voice telling over and over how terrible the lives of animals are and begging us to donate.  It makes me want to do the opposite, although I suppose that would be actually opening my own puppy mill, so probably not.  What's wrong with puppies and kittens are cute and fun - send us some money so we can keep them alive?

• Love 11

Omg the one with the polar bears!  And that very sad song about giving up on them while the impossibly adorable cubs cuddle up with their mom.  I have to change the channel. 😭

• Love 9

And that Eckstein woman talking about starving Jews that are so precious to God. If they're THAT precious, why doesn't He feed them? No, it's OUR duty to EARN God's love by feeding, first the starving the Ukrainian Jews and now the Israeli Jews.  What's next? Starving Argentinian Jews?

• Love 3
20 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Not sunshine and rainbows, but neither are a whole bunch of other things that end up on a counter. Again, the easy solution: just clean it before using it (and do people wipe down their chairs every day? Probably not).

My  SIL does. I don't know why she's like that, but my mom was fairly casual and un-tidy. My brother, now 76, rebelled against this as soon as he got his own place. NOTHING is not put away. Their home looks like it's ready for an Open House at any moment. I'm about half-way between Mom and Joe.  They even take their placemats off the table and dangle them over the backs of the chairs. I don't get that at all.  Cats were NEVER allowed on the counters, but they seem to have gotten over that, so there's disinfectant spray used frequently in the kitchen.

Yet she has no compunctions about putting her purse on the floor. And then on the counter.  Go figure.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I hate the Tide commercial with the father that says "Around here, no one ever does it" and the sons are throwing french fries with Ketchup at each other, while denying they did anything.     

I hate it too.

• Love 1

Cats were NEVER allowed on the counters, but they seem to have gotten over that

I got over it too. While I still shoo them if I catch them, I don't really care all that much (because, like I said, I always clean the counter before I use it anyway--it's a reflex at this point). In my last apartment, my cat loved the sunny spot on the counter. She was the best-behaved cat I ever had, so I felt like, "if it means that much to you..." (plus, that counter always got dusty when the window was open; it was above the parking lot. So again, I was always wiping it down). Here, my two boys like to sit on top of the refrigerator, but they need the counter to get up and down. And of course, I have no idea where they go when I'm asleep or when I'm not here.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I got over it too. While I still shoo them if I catch them, I don't really care all that much (because, like I said, I always clean the counter before I use it anyway--it's a reflex at this point). In my last apartment, my cat loved the sunny spot on the counter. She was the best-behaved cat I ever had, so I felt like, "if it means that much to you..." (plus, that counter always got dusty when the window was open; it was above the parking lot. So again, I was always wiping it down). Here, my two boys like to sit on top of the refrigerator, but they need the counter to get up and down. And of course, I have no idea where they go when I'm asleep or when I'm not here.

I've had many cats. I've literally never had them get on the counter.

• Love 3
(edited)

I've only had the three I mentioned care about the counters, for their own specific reasons (that was a pretty good sun spot, in her defense, haha! She would "follow" the sun throughout the day). These two goons mainly use it as the stepping-stone to the refrigerator (to peer down on us in superiority, I guess). I have, on occasion, plopped them up there in a "OMG, what do you have in your mouth?!" moment. (Lint--the answer is usually lint. WHY?!)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)

OK, what kind of question is “should I use a toothpaste that whitens my teeth or one that is good for my teeth?” Why would that even be a question!? If you’re so vain that you’d rather whiten than protect (assuming that the whitening one isn’t also “good for”), than you’re probably in for a rude awakening later. And if it’s a big concern, just use both.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 8

Anyone else want to smack the dude in his podcast studios wearing his Princess Leia headphones and barking at is about the market?   I hate that podcast cadence to begin with, but to magnify his annoying-ness he Bob's around like he's got an electric current running through him.  Like dude, take a Ritalin or something.  

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Maverick said:

Anyone else want to smack the dude in his podcast studios wearing his Princess Leia headphones and barking at is about the market?   I hate that podcast cadence to begin with, but to magnify his annoying-ness he Bob's around like he's got an electric current running through him.  Like dude, take a Ritalin or something.  

I can't stand him. He reminds me of AM radio blowhards.

• Love 3
On 6/25/2020 at 4:08 PM, CrystalBlue said:

That's basically Advertising 101.  Repeat, repeat, repeat so people remember.  Haven't you ever wished the phone number to call was given 15 more times in the commercial so you too could write that number down and Call Today! or call Now!?  😄

The other Ad Agency Handbook basics are:

Make it humorous (when appropriate) and

Sex sells.

The repeat phraseof a commercial cuts no ice for me.  I find if they repeat it too much, I usually cannot remember what product  they were trying to sell me!   

First rule of failure of an ad!!!!!!

On 6/27/2020 at 6:24 PM, Kiki777 said:

This commercial bugs me.  Firstly, the music is a weird fit and I still associate it with those beer commercials.  Secondly, some of these dresses look like Grandma’s housecoat.

If they look this bad on tall,  thin girls, I don't want to think about how they look on me

• LOL 6
  • Love 11
On 7/2/2020 at 5:33 PM, meep.meep said:

I have stopped watching Animal Planet at lunch time because they insist on running this ad for the Humane Society that is at least 5 minutes long and consists of some woman in a plaintive voice telling over and over how terrible the lives of animals are and begging us to donate.  It makes me want to do the opposite, although I suppose that would be actually opening my own puppy mill, so probably not.  What's wrong with puppies and kittens are cute and fun - send us some money so we can keep them alive?

Oh, good idea about happy and safe animals shown.  It would encourage me to donate more if there was a discrete message about all animals should be treated as pets and be healthy, not in puppy mills. etc.    Make that suggestion to the proper people please (the advertiser).  Brilliant!!!!!   As soon as I hear the music for those ads, I go wash the dishes in my sink or fold laundry.  So heartbreaking if you love animals as I do.    Side note.   Who is the narrator (woman) on one of them they repeat constantly.  I have a few thoughts, but cannot pin it down.  Drives me nuts.   Anyone????

15 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I've only had the three I mentioned care about the counters, for their own specific reasons (that was a pretty good sun spot, in her defense, haha! She would "follow" the sun throughout the day). These two goons mainly use it as the stepping-stone to the refrigerator (to peer down on us in superiority, I guess). I have, on occasion, plopped them up there in a "OMG, what do you have in your mouth?!" moment. (Lint--the answer is usually lint. WHY?!)

Spoken like a true cat (or dog or human) parent

• Love 4
On 7/2/2020 at 6:57 PM, icemiser69 said:

Similar commercials are on a whole bunch of channels from a variety of organizations.  I find them all horribly depressing. 

I have to dive for the remote when CNN repeatedly plays the ASPCA commercials. I can't handle it. 

19 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I hate the Tide commercial with the father that says "Around here, no one ever does it" and the sons are throwing french fries with Ketchup at each other, while denying they did anything.     

I don't see any humor in giving a pass to kids who say "I didn't do it," when they are being watched. Even if not being watched, encouraging lying is just not cool. Stupid parents. It reminds me of cases on Judge Judy in which two or three different neighbors with no ax to grind say, "I saw Jimmy scratch Mabel's car," and Jimmy's mother says, "My son said he didn't do it and I believe him." Gah. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Oh my goodness, I saw a diaper commercial touting the elastic leg holes and it was so creepy! It showed a finger, like...moving beneath the length of the leg hole (with a leg in it) to emphasize the amazing stretchiness, I guess. But it was in slow motion and just looked somehow inappropriate as hell! Ick. It was as bad as as some old toothpaste commercial that showed a lady running her tongue across the front of her top teeth, which just looked incredibly dumb. 

I like all of the dresses in the H&M video, except both pink ones. I like the color pink; I just don't like the cuts and/or fabrics of those two.

Edited by TattleTeeny
EDITED TO CLARIFY that the product was for babies, though I don't think it would be that much less creepy if it was for adults.
  • Love 2
On 7/3/2020 at 12:40 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Yet she has no compunctions about putting her purse on the floor. And then on the counter.  Go figure.

When I started carrying a purse my mom taught me the golden rule: If you wouldn't set your shoes there, you shouldn't set your purse there.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
32 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I would love to get one of those lights that would show exactly how clean I am getting the table after wiping it down.  Sponges can get pretty gross.

I'm not so sure I would want to know. If I am doing my best and it isn't enough...what does one do? I periodically nuke my sponge in the microwave to sanitize it.

• Love 5
On 6/27/2020 at 4:54 PM, CrystalBlue said:

If the Pillsbury Dough Boy was standing on the kitchen floor, he'd get squashed when someone walked in! 

Somehow the Geico gecko has avoided this fate...

• LOL 8
16 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I would love to get one of those lights that would show exactly how clean I am getting the table after wiping it down.  Sponges can get pretty gross.

One of my coworkers is such a germaphobe, she actually went online and bought this black light thingy, which would allow her to check her hotel rooms when traveling.

Most of us agreed this would make a story worthy of a Stephen King novel.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
On 6/27/2020 at 7:00 PM, Bastet said:

OMG, yes - most of those dresses are hideous, especially that enormous pink frock.

But they could also be used as small pup tents, so there is some value in that.

Don't know if the commercial for Comfort Inn has been mentioned lately.  It features a woman singing "On the Road Again" in an off-tune way that drives me nuts.  Shoot, I can't sing and I would sound better.

• Love 6
On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 1:40 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Cats were NEVER allowed on the counters, but they seem to have gotten over that, so there's disinfectant spray used frequently in the kitchen.

Perhaps they realized the futility of keeping the cats off the counter.  Because you know they get up there when no one is home to chase them off.

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 9:12 PM, peacheslatour said:

I've had many cats. I've literally never had them get on the counter.

That you know of.  Who knows what they've done when you weren't home?

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 12:45 PM, oceanview said:

If they look this bad on tall,  thin girls, I don't want to think about how they look on me

The words "potato sack" come to mind, although about them on me, not you.

• Love 5
(edited)

I saw a commercial last night featuring a woman who asked whether her insurance shouldn't ensure that her car "gets fixed as good as it was before." There was even text on the screen using that exact gnarly-ass wording.

My SIL had one of those blacklight things for hotel rooms & got SO grossed out, she stopped using it, because she didn't want to stop travelling.

Same. My strategy for hotels is to first clean all the "finger touch" surfaces (don't forget the drape-puller thing and AC control!) and then later get just drunk enough to make "need to get in the bed" seem like a higher priority than "need to avoid the bed."  

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

One of my coworkers is such a germaphobe, she actually went online and bought this black light thingy, which would allow her to check her hotel rooms when traveling.

Most of us agreed this would make a story worthy of a Stephen King novel.

Or an NC-17 adaptation of Monk or Murder She Wrote, at least.

At hotels I just throw the bedspread in the corner (which it hopefully won't be able to crawl out of by check-out time) and rely on my frequent handwashing to take care of germs from remotes, AC controls, and such. Except at my favorite B&B, where I know the owners and trust their cleanliness enough to regard it like staying with friends.

• Love 5
(edited)

Why so many commercials lately featuring women who haven’t shaved their underarms or legs since the Ice Age?  The ads for “Billy” are the worst; they demonstrate the razor in action, removing a thick clump of gnarly underarm hair. Blech!  No one needs to see THAT to understand what razors are for. 

Edited by Ilovecomputers
  • Love 4
(edited)

I need to know the thing itself is clean or I’d be washing my hands each and every time I changed the channel.

For no reason, I don’t like Daily Harvest Emily one bit. I don’t like the way she eats with a spoon, I don’t like how she starts to open the lid even before the person handing the cup to her even lets go of it, and I especially don’t like they way she sips from a straw! OK, I guess that’s not for NO reason—it’s just no GOOD reason.

Also, I just saw a commercial that started off by asking, “Are you over 50?” It was for a book called Annuity Dos & Dont’s for Baby Boomers. While it’s true that Baby Boomers ARE over 50, it seems like they should update this, considering that the Baby Boomers are the parents of now middle-aged (at least!) Gen X.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

I don't want to fat shame anyone, but the commercial with a big girl dancing around in her panties and bra. And then eating some ice cream. Seriously?  That's just unhealthy, IMO. She's already overweight, and then eating ice cream isn't going to help. Just an odd ad..

• Love 4
18 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Somehow the Geico gecko has avoided this fate...

He probably came closest (to getting squashed) when he took to the dance floor amongst the couples at the country bar in that ad awhile back!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I’ve seen the commercial to which QuinnInND is referring. The woman is obese—there’s no other way to say it. Yes, she’s dancing around and eating ice cream. I don’t need to review her medical records to know that her excess weight is causing a strain on her joints, heart and other organs.  This makes me think of all the arguments that people use for smoking cigarettes. We can make unhealthy lifestyle choices, but let’s not pretend that those choices don’t come with a price—heart disease, diabetes, shorter lives, etc. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I don't want to fat shame anyone, but the commercial with a big girl dancing around in her panties and bra. And then eating some ice cream. Seriously?  That's just unhealthy, IMO. She's already overweight, and then eating ice cream isn't going to help. Just an odd ad..

What's it a commercial for?  

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Why so many commercials lately featuring women who haven’t shaved their underarms or legs since the Ice Age?

Things are different since we've all be in quarantine the past four months...

• LOL 8
  • Love 5