Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

As much as I love Dennis Haysbert (and I do!), I hate, hate, hate that "safe drivers save 40%" commercial with him in the diner/coffee shop.  Hate the counter guy who, first makes him wait, then repeats that stupid phrase about eleventy billion times.  Blech.

Of course, as I was thinking of stopping by here and ranting that it's the worst commercial ever, they followed it up with the Skyrizi commercial.  

Just kill me now... 

• LOL 9
  • Love 6

That Allstate commercial is awful and I want to smack every moron in the restaurant who rambles that line over and over.   

For the Biore nuisance, the images are bad but that drum cymbal that play through tho whole commercial is annoying AF.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Hate the counter guy who, first makes him wait, then repeats that stupid phrase about eleventy billion times.  Blech.

I also hate the dorky looking guy sitting with his girlfriend "that's him! That's really that guy!" 

Get A Life

• Love 7
On 6/12/2020 at 3:35 AM, GaT said:

I HATE THIS COMMERCIAL!!!!!!!!! It is on MTV every 10 minutes & I can't stand hearing it again. 

I do hate the ad, but LOVE the product.  I get really hot at night sometimes (and sometimes sweat - thanks, peri menopause!) and these sheets keep me cool and comfortable.  They are pricey but still worth it.

I agree with everyone on that awful Skyrizi ‘nothing is everything’ song.  Worst. Earworm. Ever.  It sounds like some awful generic public-domain song they play at the end of a Lifetime movie when when the plucky single mom dances with her children after her psycho stalker gets sent to an institution.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

I also hate the dorky looking guy sitting with his girlfriend "that's him! That's really that guy!" 

Get A Life

I think I'd get all dorky too if I ran into Dennis Haysbert, but I'd be squeeing over President Palmer, not safe drivers save 40%.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I think I'd get all dorky too if I ran into Dennis Haysbert, but I'd be squeeing over President Palmer, not safe drivers save 40%.

He truly was our first black president. Hail President Palmer!

• Love 9

Why is that damn paper towel commercial with the annoying child playing a pirate back in heavy rotation?   Her "Ahoy!" and "Gotcha!" are grating enough on the ears but she lets out a shrill cry when she stabs her father's ass that could summon Lassie to the well.  The lame slo mo "NOOOOOOOO" is just the rotted cherry on top of this shitpile of a commercial.   I still don't see paper towels in stock half the time so there's really no need to be advertising them this much....or at all right now.  They're barely a step above the Lysol commercials telling me all the things I can use it on.  Except I can't, because I have't seen a can since before the Spring thaw.   

• LOL 4
  • Love 11

Why is that damn paper towel commercial with the annoying child playing a pirate back in heavy rotation?   Her "Ahoy!" and "Gotcha!" are grating enough on the ears but she lets out a shrill cry when she stabs her father's ass that could summon Lassie to the well. 

I've been against corporal punishment all my life but for that kid I might be moved to make an exception.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, Maverick said:

I still don't see paper towels in stock half the time

That's the one thing we have in abundance, including brand name Bounty and Brawny. Off brand tp is in abundance, and I've been getting brand name tp also.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Which reminds me of that Panera Bread commercial that says they deliver and shows a dad and son chowing down on their delivered sandwiches. WTF? It’s a sandwich. No way in hell am I gonna pay $40 for sandwich delivery when I can make a couple of them for $5. I am not that lazy. 

Sometimes you don't have all the ingredients you want in a sandwich. As far away from Mr. Jimmy John's politics as I am (including big game hunting), I do appreciate his freaky-fast sandwiches, when, with delivery, turn out to be WAY lower-cost than other deliveries.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

What is wrong with that kid in the backseat in the Sonic ads? Even my DH who pays less attention to commercials than anyone I know said "WTF? That kid ain't right."

I can't stand him either and he reminds me of someone else but for the life of me, I cannot remember who.

• Love 3

I think its a local commercial, for Sonobello, a cosmetic surgery place.

they literally hand people hunks of fat to show them what they can have "removed".  Its so disgusting. 

6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

What is wrong with that kid in the backseat in the Sonic ads? Even my DH who pays less attention to commercials than anyone I know said "WTF? That kid ain't right."

I don't know but I hate all those sonic ads. 

One of the girls in the ads sounds just like Julia Garner, who plays ruth on Ozark.  I swear its her every time I hear it. 

• Love 3

The Magnum ice cream commercial where the woman takes the pint out of the freezer and then uses every last ounce of her strength to squeeze the pint and you hear it crack. 

Why?

Who does this? And if it's so hard that it takes every ounce of your strength to squeeze the carton full of concrete, is that really something you want to be putting in your body?

But some ad exec thought this was a good idea. And someone else agreed and signed off on it.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Maverick said:

Why is that damn paper towel commercial with the annoying child playing a pirate back in heavy rotation? 

It's kind of fitting with everyone recently in quarantine with the whole family.  I'm sure lots of parents were dealing with overly energetic little kids with no way to spend that energy.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

It's kind of fitting with everyone recently in quarantine with the whole family.  I'm sure lots of parents were dealing with overly energetic little kids with no way to spend that energy.  

In our condo complex, they've been sent outside with sidewalk chalk. We have the fanciest sidewalks on the block!

• Love 10

I hate those paper towel commercials.  The kid should have that fake sword taken away for goosing his dad with it.  The kid who left the Lego on the floor should lose the Legos until they learn to confine them, and pick up their toys.   The only one I like is the slippery dumpling one, where the Bulldog snags it.  

• Love 16
13 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I hate those paper towel commercials.  The kid should have that fake sword taken away for goosing his dad with it.  The kid who left the Lego on the floor should lose the Legos until they learn to confine them, and pick up their toys.   The only one I like is the slippery dumpling one, where the Bulldog snags it.  

I had a neat trick for when I wanted my son to pick up his toys. I would just get the vacuum cleaner out. He was convinced it could suck up everything in it's path.

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
On 5/26/2020 at 1:28 PM, iMonrey said:

he U.S. had nowhere near the shutdown during the 1918 pandemic that it does now. Again, apples and oranges. 

Some cities, like St. Louis, did; others, like Philadelphia, didn't.  You get a gold star if you can figure out which had a higher death toll from influenza.

On 5/26/2020 at 4:55 PM, Ohwell said:

Yes, it makes it look like the cats are the devils who mesmerize their helpless owners.

You mean they aren't?  Man, I gotta tell mine that.

On 5/28/2020 at 12:37 PM, iMonrey said:

So Jake from State Farm is black now? OK clearly there is more than one Jake, since we saw two of them in one commercial. Which leaves me to wonder: Does State Farm only hire agents named Jake? Or do you have to change your name to Jake when State Farm hires you?

I'm not sure the ad agency understands what made the original Jake funny. 

I work at a circuit court, and have an upcoming conference in which one of the parties is State Farm.  Their attorney's first name is Jacob.  Yeah, Jake from State Farm.  Not sure how I'm going to keep from laughing.

On 5/28/2020 at 1:47 PM, Katy M said:

I always think everyone should have a separate work name.  Just so work problems can't follow you home.  I worked at a travel agency with someone names Stormie.  Apparently some of the passengers thought that was a bad omen.  One said they were going to call her Sunny, and she was like "no you're not."  No point to that story except that I just remembered it.

I did that when I worked for Borders.  Of course, in my case, there were 6 other employees with my same first name, and one of those had the same last initial, so I got to be "Persephone" for almost 10 years.

• Love 8
On 5/31/2020 at 11:02 AM, SG429 said:

Those bratty Kraft kids should be sent to their rooms until they're good and ready and hungry enough to eat what is served.

My answer to "we'll sleep here" is "yes, you will".

On 5/31/2020 at 6:35 PM, andromeda331 said:

here might be another one that I'm forgetting but the one where the kid pretends to faint when told fish is for dinner and then it goes to them eating tacos was pretty bratty. I really hope they put the fish in the tacos instead of thrown out that big fish.

My mother knew I hated fish, so when she made it, I ate side dishes or made a peanut butter sandwich.  So I identify with that kid.  Although there was no reason to throw away the fish, just serve it to the rest of the family and let the kid get his own dinner.

On 6/3/2020 at 9:15 PM, Ohwell said:

I guess I'm lucky because my HOA does a fine job.   I've got one neighbor a few doors down who's downright nasty and messy, so thank goodness my HOA constantly keeps him in check.  

Mine occasionally sends letters telling us to cut our grass when it's getting long, but other than that, they're okay and our fees are pretty low.  But I find that commercial extremely funny.

• Love 3
On 6/7/2020 at 11:01 AM, cynicat said:

I'm not sure, but it might be illegal not to know the lyrics to Beatles classic songs.

Well, I'm not a fan of the Beatles, so . . .

On 6/11/2020 at 5:27 PM, peacheslatour said:

I'm sorry but I hate the commercial that uses the song Hey, Good Lookin', What You Got Cookin' so much. The guy's voice is so nasal and twangy and ...annoying. 

That's Hank Williams himself.  His voice is an acquired taste.  I like it, but I can see where it can bug.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Aryanna said:

The Magnum ice cream commercial where the woman takes the pint out of the freezer and then uses every last ounce of her strength to squeeze the pint and you hear it crack. 

Why?

Who does this? And if it's so hard that it takes every ounce of your strength to squeeze the carton full of concrete, is that really something you want to be putting in your body?

But some ad exec thought this was a good idea. And someone else agreed and signed off on it.

The commercial is a bit extreme, but you do need to squeeze Magnum pints because the containers are lined with chocolate ganache.  You are supposed to wait several minutes after taking the pint out of the freezer before doing that, but who can wait that long?  They are a gift from the ice cream gods.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
On 6/3/2020 at 9:15 PM, Ohwell said:

I guess I'm lucky because my HOA does a fine job.   I've got one neighbor a few doors down who's downright nasty and messy, so thank goodness my HOA constantly keeps him in check.  

I guess that I've got too much of libertarian streak (even though I'm a lifelong democrat) that I just don't care enough about what my neighbor does, or does not do, to want to be part of an HOA. "You're Not The Boss Of Me"!

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

re the Dennis Haybert allstate ad in the coffee shop, isn't the guy behind the counter Geoffrey Owens, who played the husband of the oldest Huxtable daughter on Cosby?

If you mean this one, no, that's not him.

10 minutes ago, dleighg said:

she got MARRIED? Guess I must have stopped watching before the end

Sondra and Elvin got married in season four.

• Love 2

It's annoying enough that this product is called BOOMER COVERINGS, but they claim that they're somehow magical because they're infused with magic silver something something.  They should be sued for false advertising.  But then, they're proven to work by the Vietnam Textile Testing Institute.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, dleighg said:

I guess that I've got too much of libertarian streak (even though I'm a lifelong democrat) that I just don't care enough about what my neighbor does, or does not do, to want to be part of an HOA. "You're Not The Boss Of Me"!

Taking it to small talk.

13 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Some cities, like St. Louis, did; others, like Philadelphia, didn't.  You get a gold star if you can figure out which had a higher death toll from influenza.

You mean they aren't?  Man, I gotta tell mine that.

I work at a circuit court, and have an upcoming conference in which one of the parties is State Farm.  Their attorney's first name is Jacob.  Yeah, Jake from State Farm.  Not sure how I'm going to keep from laughing.

I did that when I worked for Borders.  Of course, in my case, there were 6 other employees with my same first name, and one of those had the same last initial, so I got to be "Persephone" for almost 10 years.

Ha! I worked at a large department store, and I would wear an old name tag from a former co-worker.  The weird thing is the nametag had a different name than her real name, so I was actually wearing someone else's made up name.  

It was a super fun time and a little bit of humor in an otherwise crap environment.  

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

It's annoying enough that this product is called BOOMER COVERINGS, but they claim that they're somehow magical because they're infused with magic silver something something.  They should be sued for false advertising.  But then, they're proven to work by the Vietnam Textile Testing Institute.

Ugh. I've seen facemasks advertised as being infused with copper and with zinc and it's ridiculous.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

Ha! I worked at a large department store, and I would wear an old name tag from a former co-worker.  The weird thing is the nametag had a different name than her real name, so I was actually wearing someone else's made up name.  

It was a super fun time and a little bit of humor in an otherwise crap environment.  

My husband used to have an auto repair shop. He would buy used coveralls for cheap. One had the name of the previous owner embroidered on it. He was "Marge" for a few years there.

• LOL 12
  • Love 9
21 hours ago, dleighg said:

I don't care that much except when what the neighbor does is illegal, dangerous or affects my property values.  All of which are legitimate issues easier and safer when dealt with by the HOA rather than me personally.

9 hours ago, tres bien said:

Lisa Bonet - Jason Moma - Rocket Mortgage = NO. Just NO

Is this a new one, or the one where Jason Momoa is taking off all his muscles?  'Cause that one is at least somewhat amusing.

• Love 5
Just now, proserpina65 said:

I don't care that much except when what the neighbor does is illegal, dangerous or affects my property values.  All of which are legitimate issues easier and safer when dealt with by the HOA rather than me personally.

Is this a new one, or the one where Jason Momoa is taking off all his muscles?  'Cause that one is at least somewhat amusing.

It's that one. JMO too creepy

• Love 3
On 6/3/2020 at 2:46 AM, SnarkySheep said:

May I introduce you to my father?? He bought a Flowbee in the height of its popularity, somewhere in the early '90s, and has cut his hair with it ever since. He has been especially smug about it in recent months.

My husband keeps saying he wants one so he can cut his own hair. 😀

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 6/13/2020 at 6:15 AM, Kiki777 said:

I do hate the ad, but LOVE the product.  I get really hot at night sometimes (and sometimes sweat - thanks, peri menopause!) and these sheets keep me cool and comfortable.  They are pricey but still worth it.

I agree with everyone on that awful Skyrizi ‘nothing is everything’ song.  Worst. Earworm. Ever.  It sounds like some awful generic public-domain song they play at the end of a Lifetime movie when when the plucky single mom dances with her children after her psycho stalker gets sent to an institution.

I hate this song, too... SO MUCH.  The worst part is the sorta cockney accent the singer has... 1) tired of hearing British accented people on my tv. Particularly commercials.  2) it’s so bad and cheesy that I imagine that it’s a song from Daphne’s (from Frasier) tv show from when she was younger, “Mind Your Knickers” (anyone remember this throwaway line from a 20-year old sitcom)? The song has such an awful 80s sound to it, too... all electronic keyboards and drum machines...Ugh!

I also really hate hearing the newish Nestle commercial, “Well, this... was ... unexpected.” The woman just sounds so horribly brittle... I mean, she really sounds like she‘s going to ask to speak to the manager! I’ve only started seeing this commercial and, frankly, Nestle, I think it’s too late and you should let it go...

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, OneWouldHope said:

it’s so bad and cheesy that I imagine that it’s a song from Daphne’s (from Frasier) tv show from when she was younger, “Mind Your Knickers” (anyone remember this throwaway line from a 20-year old sitcom)? 

YES!! I always loved Daphne's random, vaguely disturbing anecdotes...

• Love 8
(edited)

Anytime I see that commercial, I just keep thinking, if he's had his identity stolen, wouldn't that have been a bigger news story at some point?

That, and, "Why does this commercial have to be, like, ten minutes long?" 

Edited by Annber03
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11

Am I the only one who hates that smug woman in the Nurx birth control commercial?  You know, the one with the nose ring, beanie and flannel shirt. The you gotta call the doctor then the doctors gotta call the pharmacy line makes me want to reach through the TV and smack her smug mug.  Sorry to sound like a crotchety old person but this current generation of laziness, instant gratification, and expectation that everything in life can/should be able to be done via a smartphone just grinds on me.

i never walked to school 5 miles uphill both ways in the snow, but I did used to have to go stand in line at the bank every Friday at lunch to cash my paycheck. I even hand wrote letters and wrote checks for my bills and put this thing called a postage stamp on it and place it in a box by the curb where someone would come and get it. Also, there was a time in history when you had to monitor your gas gauge.  No bells whistles flashing lights to tell you when fuel was low. You had to actually, you know, pay attention and be responsible. And yes, I remember the joy as a kid of cruising the pay phone booths looking for spare change.

• LOL 4
  • Love 20

I don't like that Nurx commercial, but it's much better than that birth control commercial with the elaborate song and dance production in a Whole Foodsy type store. "La La Land?" More like "La La Bland."

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

I don't like that Nurx commercial, but it's much better than that birth control commercial with the elaborate song and dance production in a Whole Foodsy type store. "La La Land?" More like "La La Bland."

Worst flash mob ever.

• Love 1

Which commercials annoy or irritate me? Every commercial that preaches to me.

Every time a company preaches, they lose me (and tons of others) as a customer. I don't care if it is an opinion I agree with or not...stop preaching. If I purchased your product in the past, I guarantee it had nothing to do with your politics and everything to do with the quality, price, and reviews of your product. Companies preaching assume that their buyers have very low IQs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
55 minutes ago, LaLaLaLa said:

Which commercials annoy or irritate me? Every commercial that preaches to me.

Every time a company preaches, they lose me (and tons of others) as a customer. I don't care if it is an opinion I agree with or not...stop preaching. If I purchased your product in the past, I guarantee it had nothing to do with your politics and everything to do with the quality, price, and reviews of your product. Companies preaching assume that their buyers have very low IQs.

I don't understand this. You mean like religious?

18 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't understand this. You mean like religious?

Not religious in a traditional sense, but definitely "religious". Basically whenever a company gets on a soapbox and pushes their opinions on the viewer, implying they know better than everyone else, which is condescending and patronizing. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, LaLaLaLa said:

Not religious in a traditional sense, but definitely "religious". Basically whenever a company gets on a soapbox and pushes their opinions on the viewer, implying they know better than everyone else, which is condescending and patronizing. 

I'm having a non working brain day. Can you give me an example?

• Love 3