Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 6:39 PM, iMonrey said:

think State Farm may have overestimated the shelf life of that ad campaign. This new version with the second agent replaces what was arguably the funniest bit from the original: the wife telling her husband "she sounds hideous" and him replying "well she's a guy, so . . ." I mean, that was kind of the whole point of the ad. Now it looks like this guy gets on the phone every night with a different agent. Doesn't exactly speak well of State Farm if he has to call them about his policy that often.

Yes they had a hit with the first one, really liked it, but these newer ones are just lazy writing and trying to rely too much on the same idea. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

No, it's a "Ratt" problem, the '80s heavy/hair metal band.  There's no rap involved, just Ratt's "Round and Round".

Thanks, not the music I was into in the 80's. I was busy tending to  2 little kids...

• Love 3

I hate how, with so many ads promoting delivery options, there are more doorbells on TV right now. They must not have dogs, otherwise they would realize much of the commercial is lost because of the barking dog that ensues. Doesn’t help that commercials are louder then the regular shows, so my dog is more likely to think it means someone is at our door.

Edited by MadyGirl1987
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

It's against FCC regulations for commercials to have a higher volume.  My tvs have every thing at the same volume.

Commercials may be not louder than the loudest sound on a show. So if  you take a train crash or explosion as your baseline, then yes.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

It's against FCC regulations for commercials to have a higher volume.  My tvs have every thing at the same volume.

That may be so, but all I know is that if I am watching live with commercials, I am often having to adjust the volume when the commercials start, and then bring it back up when the show starts. I seem to have it happen more on basic cable, like the Comedy Channel and TBS, so maybe cable regulations are different? 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Haleth said:

There is an adorable ad for a dog medication with a big pup who brings things home to mom.  (I'm an ad exec's worst nightmare- I never remember the product.)  The last thing we see him bring home is someone's bikini top.  Very cute, except I can't help but wonder why this woman is letting her dog roam around the neighborhood.  Don't they have leash laws?

I love that one!  I remember the medication name because I always sing along: Saresto Saresto Saresto.... and when his person opens the door and he’s there with the bikini in his mouth.... “Saresto?”  Cracks me up every time.

There’s another (relatively new) commercial for some other heart worm medication where they say ‘it’s good for puppies too’ as a woman hand feeds the pill to the most ADORABLE puppy.  He takes it gently and slowly chews and I swear the look on his face is ‘hmmm this tastes like shit.  And I would know.’

• LOL 15

I'm currently annoyed by the fact that every other commercial voice-over seems to be done by Allison Janney.  Don't get me wrong, I love her as an actress, but it's just too much.  Especially since I mainly associate her as the whip smart, witty, sometimes caustic CJ on The West Wing.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:
15 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Thanks, not the music I was into in the 80's. I was busy tending to  2 little kids...

It's just regular rock and roll. You remember the sixties and seventies, right?

I wouldn't know who Ratt is either, I didn't have little kids in the 80s, but I quit listening to current music about 1980 and still don't. I know who a few artists are, but not their music. So, the humor of that ad goes over my head. But I do find the cloggers mildly amusing.

I've been watching a lot of the Justice Network/Channel lately, they have a lot of my favorite old true crime shows, Cold Case, City Confidential. But, one of their major advertisers right now is The Hartford with AARP. The guy driving the car for The Hartford is annoying the stuffing out of me. And when he says something about "the buck," I think he's saying, "the bus."

9 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I wouldn't know who Ratt is either, I didn't have little kids in the 80s, but I quit listening to current music about 1980 and still don't. I know who a few artists are, but not their music. So, the humor of that ad goes over my head. But I do find the cloggers mildly amusing.

Thank you, I have a very eclectic taste in music, leaning towards classic, opera and folk...I did say eclectic... but yes, the clogging  commercial is amusing.

• Love 2
On 4/25/2020 at 11:50 AM, Dd1993 said:

The Bounty paper towel commercial with the girl pirate...her saying ouhwww in the beginning is the most annoying. I also can't stand the Jimmy dean commercials because of the background music. The most annoying. 

I said something about jimmy dean Dean commercial a while back. That friggin harmonica.  They need to take that harmonica away and throw it down a well

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The woman in the Consumer Cellular commercial who brags to her friends that she sends three pictures of her dog every day, "One for each grandchild," all I can think is how fucking irritating that must be for her son/daughter/SIL/DIL.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

The woman in the Consumer Cellular commercial who brags to her friends that she sends three pictures of her dog every day, "One for each grandchild," all I can think is how fucking irritating that must be for her son/daughter/SIL/DIL.

I wouldn't mind, but I do wonder why she can't send each grandchild the same picture.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Even worse IMO is the one with the head on the countertop. HATE IT

This one makes me laugh, the way he says "Every time you see me, you say ooooh" like he thinks it's a compliment instead of eeewww.

Edited by Ashforth
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I'm currently annoyed by the fact that every other commercial voice-over seems to be done by Allison Janney.  Don't get me wrong, I love her as an actress, but it's just too much.  Especially since I mainly associate her as the whip smart, witty, sometimes caustic CJ on The West Wing.

She is everywhere lately. I swear she must be friends with everyone in Hollywood.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

As far as I recall, Ratt were a one hit wonder so blink and you missed them, although I still hear Round and Round frequently on the radio.

True but for some odd reason the "Ratt problem" commercial from Geico doesn't bother me.  As a child of the 80s it is a bit sad to see them doing insurance commercials but enh still a lot better than that stupid clogging commercial.

2 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

The CLR sink mineral removal commercials, with talking sink crud is disgusting

That is real disturbing to me!  Just some guy's head in the counter top.....that's creepy.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Brookside said:

What does she do besides Kaiser Permanente?

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

There's also a laundry soap one with a head looking out of the washing machine door, maybe Seventh Generation?   or one of the organic types. 

You mean the only stuff left in the cleaning aisle?

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

There's also a laundry soap one with a head looking out of the washing machine door, maybe Seventh Generation?   or one of the organic types

oh yeah-- that one creeps me out. Yes it's all about some detergent that doesn't have a bunch of unpronouncible stuff in it

• Love 2
On 4/25/2020 at 1:31 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

My insurance company has a 24/7 number, so you can report claims, or if you buy a car or something, they can handle that while the offices are closed.     However, for big claims the local office doesn't get involved.   The main office assigns adjusters, and they don't work for the local agent anyway.  

However, when I call them to report something, I don't ask what they're wearing. 

I bet there are a LOT of State Farm agents who are tired of being asked what they're wearing.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
33 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

She's in an ad for Heifer International with a lot of different actors.

She has been a long-time supporter of that organization, perhaps arising from their being featured in an episode of The West Wing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

There's also a laundry soap one with a head looking out of the washing machine door, maybe Seventh Generation?   or one of the organic types. 

It's a frontloader machine and the head is spinning around. It makes me dizzy.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Haleth said:

As far as I recall, Ratt were a one hit wonder so blink and you missed them, although I still hear Round and Round frequently on the radio.

That's not how I recall it, so I looked up the numbers.  While they never equaled the triple platinum success of their debut album (Out of the Cellar, which contained "Round and Round"), their next album did go double platinum and the next two platinum, and several of their songs were used in films and TV shows.  I think a lot of people today would only remember "Round and Round" and maybe "Lovin' You's a Dirty Job" (which is all that came to me, even though I had several of their albums back in the day), but they weren't blink and you missed them at the time - they were popular for several years.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, janie jones said:

What does she do besides Kaiser Permanente?

Some of the sickly sweet coronavirus ones.  Maybe they just air on Ion TV, which I watch obsessively these days because it seems my escape from today's realities is to watch blood and gore via NCIS, Law and Order, Criminal Minds, etc.

• Love 2

That's not how I recall it, so I looked up the numbers.  While they never equaled the triple platinum success of their debut album (Out of the Cellar, which contained "Round and Round"), their next album did go double platinum and the next two platinum, and several of their songs were used in films and TV shows.  I think a lot of people today would only remember "Round and Round" and maybe "Lovin' You's a Dirty Job" (which is all that came to me, even though I had several of their albums back in the day), but they weren't blink and you missed them at the time - they were popular for several years.

"You're in Love," "Wanted Man," "Lay It Down,"...why yes, the Hair Nation channel is a preset on my Sirius radio, hahahahaaa (which is funny because, back in those days, I was more of an "alternative" art kid)!

Also, the "clog problem" and the "rat problem" are plays on words that pertain to possible issues in home ownership. I can't -- at the moment, at least -- come up with something that "rap" would fit into? Hmmm...

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5
On 4/26/2020 at 10:34 AM, Gramto6 said:

your not missing anything... My older brother was into heavy metal in the 80's i was into New Wave😄

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

The My Pillow guy's ads are everpresent during the morning show I watch. Now he has a mattress topper and the "testimonial" guy says it's "three inches of wonderful." Well, Mr. My Pillow, I guess that's what you'd like people to believe, but as a woman, I beg to differ. 😎

I think he's probably overestimating himself...

• LOL 19
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Ashforth said:

The My Pillow guy's ads are everpresent during the morning show I watch. Now he has a mattress topper and the "testimonial" guy says it's "three inches of wonderful." Well, Mr. My Pillow, I guess that's what you'd like people to believe, but as a woman, I beg to differ. 😎

Oh god, have you guys seen the one where there's some weird My Pillow party where kids get to take pillows home?

11 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Oh god, have you guys seen the one where there's some weird My Pillow party where kids get to take pillows home?

That one was playing constantly before Easter. And yes, creepy My Pillow guy frolicking with children in a park was just as horrific as you could ever imagine.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
44 minutes ago, etexlady said:

Re: the Jimmy Dean commercials, there is one in which he is talking about this item and that item.  It's creepy because he died in 2010.

Well, he does say he wishes he could tell us about it.

• LOL 12
  • Love 5
On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 8:40 PM, janie jones said:

I don't really know what they're going for with this Jake business.  The New!Jake commercial only makes sense if you'd seen the original one.  So in making sense of the New!Jake commercial, are we supposed to pretend the first version never happened?  And Original!Jake in the next cube over never talked to the husband?  Or is the couple in some sort of Groundhog Day scenario?

Also, is that the same guy who is "Jake from State Farm" in that other State Farm commercial with all the insurance agents?

I wonder if they wanted Jake to be State Farm's spokesperson but the original guy wasn't handsome enough.

I hand-waved it as TPTB decided calling themselves "Jake" sounded better than "Operator #..." in the phone help desk.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 10:27 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Forgive me--I may be missing something here? It's an '80s hair band named Ratt.

If memory serves, Milton Burle is in that musicvid b/c one of the band members is his nephew.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 12:33 PM, bad things are bad said:

Oh, crap, I think I've been under quarantine too long b/c I'm finding him attractive.

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

@Nicmar, have you ever seen the documentary called Dare to Be Different (I think that's what it's called)? It's about the alternative radio station WLIR, which is what I listened to back then.

No, but i need to check it out now. I love documentaries! 🙂

• Love 3

I hand-waved it as TPTB decided calling themselves "Jake" sounded better than "Operator #..." in the phone help desk.

So did I. When you call the Victorian Trading Company you talk to "Dorian Grey", "Becky Sharp", "Jo March" and so on.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Well, he does say he wishes he could tell us about it.

Whenever I hear that commercial, I always say "But you can't, because you're dead!"

Edited by Moose135
  • LOL 9
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

@Nicmar, have you ever seen the documentary called Dare to Be Different (I think that's what it's called)? It's about the alternative radio station WLIR, which is what I listened to back then.

I’ll have to check it out - wdre/lir was all I listened to back then!

• Love 2