Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I absolutely hate the White Castle sliders commercial.  Not only are they exaggerating the difference between normal burgers and sliders, the sliders shown appear to just be a dry bun with a meat patty and cheese, while the burger they show a child disgustedly examining actually has toppings on it, which I find much more appealing.

• Love 1

The Sonic commercial with the girls saying "chocolate" over and over. Apparently they think the girl in the front passenger seat says it weird like "chocklit." Please shut up. You're making me hate Sonic and I love their tots and cherry limeade.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

The Sonic commercial with the girls saying "chocolate" over and over. Apparently they think the girl in the front passenger seat says it weird like "chocklit." Please shut up. You're making me hate Sonic and I love their tots and cherry limeade.

And in the other one they complain she tells cheesy jokes.  I’ve already commented on my aggravation with these commercials.  Long overdue to pull them, Sonic!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I don't think I've ever seen any Sonic ad that has actually made me want to eat there.  Way to go, ad folks -- driving people away!

Me neither. I've tried to like the new people because of how much I hated those two stupid guys they've had in their commercials forever and don't want them to come back. But nope.  

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I wonder if weight-loss programs and/or gyms are already working on ads for once they re-open and we all have to work off our Covid19 pounds.

I've actually lost 8 pounds since this whole mess has started.  Stress is good for something apparently.

• Love 3
(edited)

I just saw a commercial for Bounty. The announcer says something like "So you bought those good enough paper towels." I clapped back, "No, I didn't because there weren't any paper towels at the Food Lion."

Edited by mmecorday
  • LOL 10
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I just saw a commercial for Bounty. The announcer says something like "So you bought those good enough paper towels." I clapped back, "No, I didn't because there weren't any paper towels at the Food Lion."

Right?  At this point I'd be happy with any paper towel I can find!

• Love 6

I get annoyed at all the places offering free delivery, because the only place that delivers to our address is Domino's. I get sucked into checking and the result is always the same - sorry, delivery is not available to this address.

• Love 1
(edited)

I know someone said they hate all the “we’re in this together” sad sack corona ads, but I found myself getting really annoyed with Rexulti for running the ad where the sad lady has lunch with her friends and at the end they clasp hands.

I sure would like to do all that, Rexulti, but I CAN’T.

Also in things we cannot do right now, the mother who is SHOCKED that her daughter booked the groomer on the PetSmart app is way way way too young to not understand how smartphones work.  I hate that ad.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 10
7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Also in things we cannot do right now, the mother who is SHOCKED that her daughter booked the groomer on the PerSmart app is way way way too young to not understand how smartphones work.  I hate that ad.

Yeah, my kids are in their twenties, and I'm the one who taught my 90 year old father how to use a smart phone. As a roughtly 60-year-old, I'm good.

• Love 7

I can't stand the dominoes ad with mimics the Risky Business dancing at home in their underwear scene.  Because that scene has no relation at all to the reason for ordering dominoes.  Its just cheap nostalgia with no connection at all to the product or the rest of the ad.  Not to mention its such a clichéd scene and thing to mimic, has been done a thousand times already in the last 40 or so years since that movie came out. 

• Love 16
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

So is anyone else getting Franklin Graham proselytizing during their 6pm news, or is that just me?  

I'm getting that, and I can't hit the mute button fast enough.

Also, Neuriva, I do not want to "brain" better.  I don't even know what that means.   Brain is not a verb.

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
50 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Plus the delivery person played Booger on Revenge of the Nerds.  A dude that kept his hand up his nose wrist deep practically through the entire movie.   I would hate to have that dude delivering my pizza.  I wouldn't want any of his "special toppings" added to my pizza.

When I was a kid,  I went over to another kid's house.  His brother had a nose picking addiction.  He was making a pizza and he kept nose diving all through the process without washing his hands.  They offered me a slice, not a chance in a million years.  That dude was disgusting..  I wouldn't have had any pizza even if he had washed his hands.

I had forgotten about that part of it, which makes it even worse. 

And that is Curtis Armstrong you are referring to, who was actually in risky business as well.  I guess they tried to make SOME connection there, but still not enough

Also looking it up now on IMDB, I didn't realize that was Joey Pantoliano as Guido in RIsky Business. 

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I had forgotten about that part of it, which makes it even worse. 

And that is Curtis Armstrong you are referring to, who was actually in risky business as well.  I guess they tried to make SOME connection there, but still not enough

Also looking it up now on IMDB, I didn't realize that was Joey Pantoliano as Guido in RIsky Business. 

"I've got a trig midterm tomorrow and I'm being chased by Guido, the killer pimp."

• Love 4

What's with the sudden increase of the animal abuse fund-raising commercials? I've just seen three in the past 30 minutes on two different channels.

We're already depressed enough as it is right now. Give me a break.

• Love 14
59 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

What's with the sudden increase of the animal abuse fund-raising commercials? I've just seen three in the past 30 minutes on two different channels.

We're already depressed enough as it is right now. Give me a break.

and they all are about 20 minutes long, over and over again!!!!!!!!

• Love 9
On 3/21/2020 at 2:24 PM, janie jones said:

I find the idea of vacuuming up wet substances completely repulsive.

In this particular case, it's not just a vacuum, it's a wet-dry cleaner.  Actual water is involved.

On 3/22/2020 at 9:06 AM, icemiser69 said:

Goldilocks wouldn't be eating porridge, sitting in a chair, or sleeping in a bed.  She would be running off with the Charmin Bears' toilet paper supply.   "Who has been sitting on my toilet?"

And selling it on the black market.

On 3/22/2020 at 8:05 PM, chessiegal said:

At least some people can get delivery The only one that delivers to us is Dominos. GrubHub doesn't. I haven't tried UberEats. Panera Bread announced free delivery. When I tried to order delivery, they said it wasn't available to my address. It's 5 frickin' miles away.

Fortunately the local sub/pizza shops near me have their own delivery people.  Because I know for a fact that GrubHub, Door Dash and Uber Eats don't deliver to my area, and even if they did, they're too damned expensive.  Hell, there's a kabob place about 5 miles from where I work that advertises using Door Dash, but they don't deliver into downtown.

On 3/22/2020 at 8:40 PM, zoey1996 said:

The Progressive karaoke commercial with the obnoxious voiced woman is the worst ever!

True, but I am a little amused by Jamie singing in the background.

On 3/23/2020 at 11:25 AM, chessiegal said:

Just checked UberEats and DoorDash and neither of them deliver to our address.

I am so glad the local places have their own drivers.  Much cheaper than any of those other services.  But of course that only helps if there are local places near enough to deliver.

• Love 5
On 4/2/2020 at 8:10 AM, Haleth said:

Right?  At this point I'd be happy with any paper towel I can find!

Hell, I bought the store brand with the stupid half-size sheets because that was all that Walmart had.  And I hate those half-size things.

13 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Plus the delivery person played Booger on Revenge of the Nerds

He also was in Risky Business, which is why he's in that Dominoes commercial.  But I'll never not think of Booger now.

13 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

So is anyone else getting Franklin Graham proselytizing during their 6pm news, or is that just me?  

No, thank goodness.

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Also, Neuriva, I do not want to "brain" better.  I don't even know what that means.   Brain is not a verb.

Neither is science, Bayer commercial.  And Carefirst?  One cannot live fearless.  One can be fearless or live fearlessly.  I'm no fan of Lifebridge Health commercials, but at least "Care bravely" is grammatically correct, even if it does sound stupid.

13 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

lso looking it up now on IMDB, I didn't realize that was Joey Pantoliano as Guido in RIsky Business. 

I knew that, but had forgotten it.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Hell, I bought the store brand with the stupid half-size sheets because that was all that Walmart had.  And I hate those half-size things.

I'll trade you an 8 pack of regular sized sheets for the half sized!  I end up tearing the regular sized ones in half.  

• Love 9
9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

True, but I am a little amused by Jamie singing in the background.

Same!  I try to focus on him instead of the women.

9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

He also was in Risky Business, which is why he's in that Dominoes commercial.  But I'll never not think of Booger now.

I always think of Charle De Mar in Better Off Dead.  Which is a hilarious movie.

• Love 2

I can't stand the Callhercallhercallher woman in the House in a Hurry ad for HGTV either.    By the way, I've bought several houses in less than a week too, so it's not exactly strange.   Also, with online real estate ads, you can weed out a lot of houses without even looking.     I feel sorry for who ever ended up living next to that horrible woman.

The reason I don't like the Dominos delivery guy is he was Goldman in The Closer, and had a vendetta against Brenda. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I can't stand the Callhercallhercallher woman in the House in a Hurry ad for HGTV either.    By the way, I've bought several houses in less than a week too, so it's not exactly strange.   Also, with online real estate ads, you can weed out a lot of houses without even looking.     I feel sorry for who ever ended up living next to that horrible woman.

The reason I don't like the Dominos delivery guy is he was Goldman in The Closer, and had a vendetta against Brenda. 

Was he the guy who did her lipstick, because that guy really hated her.

I hate the "select-a-size" half-sheets, too. So far, I'm good on paper towels, but I can't find TP nor flour. Everybody seems to be staying home & baking. 

And right now, ALL the commercials annoy me. I'm turning off the TV & putting on some show tunes to lift my mood.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I hate the "select-a-size" half-sheets, too. So far, I'm good on paper towels, but I can't find TP nor flour. Everybody seems to be staying home & baking. 

And right now, ALL the commercials annoy me. I'm turning off the TV & putting on some show tunes to lift my mood.

Listen to Les Miz, that'll stir up the old blood.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

I know it’s an old commercial, but I DESPISE the Skittles commercial where the guy is “milking” a giraffe.  I find it gross.  

My grandkids ages 8 to 4 think it's hilarious. There's your demo. 😉

• Useful 3
On 4/2/2020 at 8:26 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I can't stand the dominoes ad with mimics the Risky Business dancing at home in their underwear scene.  Because that scene has no relation at all to the reason for ordering dominoes.  Its just cheap nostalgia with no connection at all to the product or the rest of the ad.  Not to mention its such a clichéd scene and thing to mimic, has been done a thousand times already in the last 40 or so years since that movie came out. 

I like how they have used the exact same commercial (minus the delivery guy) but with different voiceover to advertise their "contactless" delivery. I've noticed a few compaines have done that -- reused the commercials from a month ago with coronavirus-related voiceovers.

21 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

In this particular case, it's not just a vacuum, it's a wet-dry cleaner.  Actual water is involved.

That's not less digusting. There's still mac and cheese all up in there.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, janie jones said:

I like how they have used the exact same commercial (minus the delivery guy) but with different voiceover to advertise their "contactless" delivery. I've noticed a few compaines have done that -- reused the commercials from a month ago with coronavirus-related voiceovers.

And now the Dominoes commercial doesn’t make sense because why do you need to put on pants if it’s just your pizza at the door?

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
On 3/14/2020 at 12:07 AM, SmithW6079 said:

I hate the smug narrator's "not everyone can do 20 minutes after work (or in the morning or whenever it is)"

The commercial is a bit obnoxious, but I do have to admit I like the "early-morning" woman's little smirk when she's done.  I've had pretty much that exact look after a difficult run because it feels soooo good to know you got through it.

On 3/30/2020 at 8:08 PM, Katy M said:

I agree. You can't just go out and get prescription medicine.  A doctor has to give you permission to buy it, so advertising to the masses never made much sense to me.

That and the fact that it doesn’t educate the masses. They go to the doctor wanting the medicine on the commercial even though it might not be right for them.

• Love 12
41 minutes ago, Automne said:

That and the fact that it doesn’t educate the masses. They go to the doctor wanting the medicine on the commercial even though it might not be right for them.

I remember when Nexium first came out.  The commercial just said ask your doctor about the purple pill.  My grandmother said she was going to ask about it and I was just like "you don't even know what it's for."  I have no idea if she asked her doctor or not, but it was just ridiculously stupid.

What might actually be worse are those commercials for taking aspirin a day for stroke or heart attacks, I forget which.  Same grandmother was going around trying to convince everyone that they needed to take an aspirin every day, which is of course the opposite of beneficial for some people. You should only do that after consulting a doctor also, but unfortunately in this case, you can easily just take it upon yourself to do it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I remember when Nexium first came out.  The commercial just said ask your doctor about the purple pill.  My grandmother said she was going to ask about it and I was just like "you don't even know what it's for." 

The old “If we don’t say what it’s for, then we don’t have to list the side effects” loophole.

Edited by smittykins
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
44 minutes ago, smittykins said:

The old “If we don’t say what it’s for, then we don’t have to list the side effects” loophole.

Ah.  I did not know that was a thing.  

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Bastet said:

If I see that self-congratulatory Amazon commercial one more time, I fear for the fate of my TV.  Why don't you thank your employees by paying them a decent wage and benefits, providing proper safety equipment and training, and not imposing unattainable per-hour goals on them that degrade both their body and spirit instead?

Right? If these "essential" workers are so damn essential why aren't they paid to reflect that?

• Useful 1
  • Love 18

Speaking of Amazon, that commercial with Alicia Keys "singing" and mumbling some shit makes me grab the remote every time.  I cannot stand her non-enunciating voice.

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
On 4/4/2020 at 4:22 PM, KLovestoShop said:

I know it’s an old commercial, but I DESPISE the Skittles commercial where the guy is “milking” a giraffe.  I find it gross.  

Here's the M. Night Shyamalan kicker.  The giraffe is MALE!

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 7:13 AM, Haleth said:

I'll trade you an 8 pack of regular sized sheets for the half sized!  I end up tearing the regular sized ones in half.  

I'd gladly trade you if I could.  I find the half-sized sheets are too small for some of tasks I use paper towels for the most, and they separate too easily.

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 8:25 PM, janie jones said:

That's not less digusting. There's still mac and cheese all up in there.

Eh, it's in the tank which gets emptied when you're done, so it doesn't bother me, but everyone has a different comfort level.

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 8:47 AM, smittykins said:

Angel Soft, I do appreciate that your workers are busting their tails in order to produce enough TP, but that doesn’t mean squat if it gets scarfed up as soon as it hits the shelves.

I guess if they're working extra hard to make more, there'll eventually be more on the shelf.

• Love 3
On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 9:45 AM, icemiser69 said:

I find the commercial where the woman is all mopey while walking down the adult Huggie aisle, because her plumbing is on the fritz, annoying.   She ends up getting her adult Huggies by mail in an effort to avoid the embarrassment of having everyone seeing those items she is buying.

That one annoys me too, because I don't find it the least bit embarrassing to buy those types of products.  I need them, I buy them, so what?  Better than wetting myself on a regular basis.

• Love 9

I get super irked by the pharma ads that say "many patient achieved remission in X amount of time" "Achieved" Really? So if they don't get relief they're miserable failures? How about "experienced"? or "encountered" or "observed"?

• Love 11
On 4/4/2020 at 9:16 AM, icemiser69 said:

Hands down, one of the worst commercials running (no pun intended) right now is the Pepto Diarrhea commercial.  I don't think I have ever heard anyone say diarrhea so many times in one commercial in my entire life.

Is that the Pepto Bismol commercial that seems to imply their product is probiotic?