Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Well IF you’ve saved every old piece of cloth (T-shirts, sheets, old rags) and carefully cut them into appropriate sized pieces, AND had a sanitary way to dispose of them (no worse than picking up doggie poop in bags, right?) then it could possibly be cheaper. Especially if you’re out of toilet paper. The refusing to flush part, though, I got nothing. 

you can save them up and run them through the washing machine!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

We're on a septic tank - can't flush cloth fabrics.

PSA - NOBODY should flush cloth. Or baby wipes. Or anything except tp. All kinds of news outlets are reminding people about that lately. 

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, dleighg said:

you can save them up and run them through the washing machine!

Eww. But on the other hand, that’s what people have done with baby diapers forever. And I’m really going to stop thinking about this topic now. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I get angry when I see toilet paper commercials these days, especially the one where the guy is writing an apology to his daughter on a roll of toilet paper. That stuff is currency now, dipshit!

• LOL 12
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I get angry when I see toilet paper commercials these days, especially the one where the guy is writing an apology to his daughter on a roll of toilet paper. That stuff is currency now, dipshit!

Just because it's been written on doesn't make it unusable - I'd use it! 😉

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Colleenna said:

The Bayer corporation has a  commercial  that ends with the  line "This is why we  science. " 

I screamed at the  TV:  "Science is not a  verb, you asshat!" What is it with  making nouns into  verbs? 

Can't you just hear the ad execs pitch meeting?  "Okay, are you ready for this? 'This is why we science.' Get it?  It's so hip, alllll the kids are using nouns as verbs anymore!!"

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

Can't you just hear the ad execs pitch meeting?  "Okay, are you ready for this? 'This is why we science.' Get it?  It's so hip, alllll the kids are using nouns as verbs anymore!!"

I can see that happening.

• Love 2
On 3/23/2020 at 12:12 PM, AZChristian said:

"House in a Hurry" commercials for a new TLC commercial.

"Callhercallhercallhercallher."

Fast forward or mute.

Is that what she’s saying?  I thought it was “Colorcolorcolorcolorcolor.”

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I don't use Twitter but I still see Chrissy and John everywhere......

And she’s only famous because of her husband. She’s a no talent woman who married up.

I despise that new Progressive woman with the awful voice that could shatter eardrums.  
So I’ll just sit at home in quarantine (a person on our recent cruise tested positive for COVID-19), drinking wine slushees, and watching the replay of my beloved Cubs winning the World Series.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

I despise that new Progressive woman with the awful voice that could shatter eardrums.

I despise her AND Flo. However, I did learn something about Flo (that most everyone probably already knows) but she had a recurring role on Madmen in the early years. She was one of the switchboard operators. She looks ok (,on Madmen) without make up. 

I'm also wondering if Progressive is letting the Flo go and replacing her with another goofy idiot woman.

I Googled Flo's net worth (which we know is not 100 percent accurate)...it is one million. I would pay her a little something to go away forever......like a dollar. So her net worth would be one million and one dollars.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I Googled Flo's net worth (which we know is not 100 percent accurate)...it is one million.

That doesn't seem like much considering her acting gigs, I'm worth more than that (prudent saving, investments, and spending).

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

That doesn't seem like much considering her acting gigs, I'm worth more than that (prudent saving, investments, and spending).

I thought the same thing.

Maybe YOU should be the next Progressive ad woman? (Minus the goofy acting, red lipstick b.s.)

• Love 5
On 3/22/2020 at 6:05 PM, chessiegal said:

At least some people can get delivery The only one that delivers to us is Dominos. GrubHub doesn't. I haven't tried UberEats. Panera Bread announced free delivery. When I tried to order delivery, they said it wasn't available to my address. It's 5 frickin' miles away.

I live in the boonies in MT and none of the local food delivery services cover me here...not even things like the mail order meal kit services. It has never been a problem but I wonder if it will in these crazy times...

• Love 2
On 3/22/2020 at 10:13 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm All those leftover socks from washer/dryer mishaps can be put to use. I keep asking, "Where's the Sear Catalog, now that we NEED it?"

I didn't know you could flush socks down the toilet. This is great news! Especially for plumbers!

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Sewers are already being messed up due to idiots flushing baby wipes.

Can you imagine what "things" will now be flushed down a toilet? Wash cloths, paper towels (Bounty Extra strength) bath towels cut up in squares.

Now is the time to invest in all things plumbing!

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I asked my stepdaughter if baby wipes were flushable. She said no, even the ones that say they are. My response - well, there goes Plan B.

Just put a paper bag, etc. under the sink. Stick them in there. Throw away as necessary. I'm actually serious. Nobody should be throwing that stuff down the drain!

• Love 12
1 minute ago, dleighg said:

Just put a paper bag, etc. under the sink. Stick them in there. Throw away as necessary. I'm actually serious. Nobody should be throwing that stuff down the drain!

I told my stepdaughter I could put them in the plastic bags with the poop in the litter box and toss.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I asked my stepdaughter if baby wipes were flushable. She said no, even the ones that say they are. My response - well, there goes Plan B.

I'm learning so many new things about flushable toilet items! It's pretty much NOTHING can be flushed except real toilet paper (and tampons?) 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Maybe I'm cold hearted but I really don't like all the PSAs that the networks are airing right now, like all the CBS stars telling me "we're all in this together." I know these are supposed to be feel-good messages, but I'm trying to escape from all of this with a nice TV program for an hour of distraction. God knows we all need that right now. And these things just pull me right back into it.

I know what you mean. I've been watching the Tournament of Champions show on Food Network, and the *only* ads it has are for some truck the winner gets, and it's all mopey and sad, saying "times are hard, but we'll get through it". OVER AND OVER AND OVER. 

• Love 6

I've been seeing this GoMedicare Benefits HelpCenter ad lately that is driving me to distraction.  The announcer easily says, "one hundred thirty-five dollars", but cannot say 800, as in the phone number.  It's pronounced, "eight hunred".  And of course, since it's the phone number, he says it a LOT, and I want to poke my eardrums out with an ice pick.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I know what you mean. I've been watching the Tournament of Champions show on Food Network, and the *only* ads it has are for some truck the winner gets, and it's all mopey and sad, saying "times are hard, but we'll get through it". OVER AND OVER AND OVER. 

Try being a soaps fan. Apparently the powers that be have decided the best time to have press conferences to update the public is 13 minutes into my fav soap. I don't know what's going on any more.

• Love 1

There's a new annoying Liberty Mutual commercial making the rounds with a man aware he's in their newest commercial.  Blah.

On 3/23/2020 at 7:26 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Well IF you’ve saved every old piece of cloth (T-shirts, sheets, old rags) and carefully cut them into appropriate sized pieces, AND had a sanitary way to dispose of them (no worse than picking up doggie poop in bags, right?) then it could possibly be cheaper. 

Oh, no, they saved them in a small pail and washed them when it got full.

Edited by Ubiquitous
  • Love 2

I cannot stand the commercial for, I think, Volvo. Young women load up a car after skiing or snowboarding, hop in the car and goofily groove to some irritating tune or change their clothes. They end up at a beach where they plan to surf. It usually plays late in the afternoon when I'm watching MSNBC. I guess to me it's an OTT attempt to look cool. Hate it.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

There's a new annoying Liberty Mutual commercial making the rounds with a man aware he's in their newest commercial.  Blah.

Is that the one with the seagulls? I love those!

12 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Oh, no, they saved them in a small pail and washed them when it got full.

That's what I did with my brother's cloth diapers when he was a baby.  I was 12 and didn't mind doing that.     

• Love 3

Can't stand these commercials. That awful music.

and seriously who uses turquoise blue mascara? Or the other one where she uses gold glitter eye shadow? Or the one where she talks about how her skin "bounces back" 

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Ic1Q/neutrogena-makeup-remover-cleansing-towelettes-kerry-washington-fights-stubborn-mascara-smudges

KW is fine. It's the commercials that bug me.

but that last product Hydro Boost is great.

• Love 2

I hate any commercial with Busy Philipps in it.

I actually liked her in Freaks and Geeks and in Cougar Town. But she's not exactly someone I'd pick as my spokesperson because it's hard to take her seriously.

What is up with the annoying Cricket Wireless ads? Not only do I not understand what these weird furballs are supposed to be, but all the "Hi-yeeeeeeeeeee! By-yeeeeeeeeeee!" screeching drives me nuts. 

• Love 10

The new Sonic commercials with the triplets are very annoying.  I cannot stand the way the one is picked on by the other triplet with the third backing her up and the dad doing nothing.  Not funny!  Bad look, Sonic!  How is bullying good for selling food?  And, no I don't find "it's just teasing" a valid defense.  It is never "just".  There is a strange creepy dynamic happening there.

Edited by elle
verbs are important
  • Love 3
On 3/24/2020 at 5:51 PM, smittykins said:
On 3/23/2020 at 12:12 PM, AZChristian said:

Fast forward or mute.

I didn't understand, and really thought the woman had some disability.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, auntjess said:
On 3/24/2020 at 3:51 PM, smittykins said:
On 3/23/2020 at 10:12 AM, AZChristian said:

Fast forward or mute.

I didn't understand, and really thought the woman had some disability.

I thought it is the man who is saying it.

12 minutes ago, elle said:

I thought it is the man who is saying it.

No. it's the woman. The husband is holding a smart phone.

ETA: The show is as stupid and annoying as the ad.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 6
40 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

No. it's the woman. The husband is holding a smart phone.

ETA: The show is as stupid and annoying as the ad.

Yeah, as they're filming, the man looks at his smart phone and says they just got a message from the realtor:  "Awake?!"

At which point the woman - totally ignoring the fact that they're filming (IMO) starts with her annoying "Callhercallhercallher" command.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Ad for Nurtec, a migraine pill.  "Don't take if allergic to Nurtec." No kidding?  Wow!

honestly they do that for all the drugs (and typically add "or any of its ingredients"). How many advertising dollars/seconds have been eaten up by these lawyer CYA statements?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

honestly they do that for all the drugs (and typically add "or any of its ingredients"). How many advertising dollars/seconds have been eaten up by these lawyer CYA statements?

They're following FDA guidelines.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I wish they couldn't advertise AT ALL.

I agree. You can't just go out and get prescription medicine.  A doctor has to give you permission to buy it, so advertising to the masses never made much sense to me.

• Love 11

The eHarmony ad with three guys, the first one is athletic but doesn’t like playing games in relationships, the second guy loves his dog and wants a girl to be his best friend too and the third guy cooks and blah blah blah. I really, really want to wipe the smile off of the face of the guy with the dog. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3