Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 3/6/2020 at 12:37 PM, mmecorday said:

Candace Cameron Bure talking to Charlie the Tuna like he's the Great Gazoo on the red carpet. "No time to eat, Charlie!" Then he gives her tuna in pouch, which she eats during the awards ceremony. The stupid is strong with this ad.

Candace is worth an estimated $14 million - I'm pretty sure that her cook can make her something, which she can eat as the chauffeur drives her to events. I get what the ad is trying to say, but I really don't think a celebrity is quite the person to try to sell it.

My current personal annoyance, which seems to be ubiquitous - Amy Poehler and her stupid Xfinity commercials, where she barges into people's living rooms and only wants them to watch movies and shows she's been in. I get that TPTB likely think it's funny, but IMO it's just a little weird, especially when you see it 999 times a week.

• Love 6
On ‎03‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 5:44 PM, sempervivum said:

I can't believe nobody has commented yet on the Poise (incontinence pads) ads. We see some woman at a meeting having an internal monologue about how she comes up with the ideas, and Stan (or some such guy's name) takes credit. Meanwhile, according to the voiceover, while he drones, she 'drips'. But she rises up and (I guess) takes control of the meeting, because she 'has Poise in her pants'. Ew, ew, ew.

Those commercials don't usually bother me, but who in hell wrote that one?  UGH.

On ‎03‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 9:39 PM, Ohwell said:

I hate this Hyundai commercial with kids playing in the street.  We've had the problem of kids playing in the street in my neighborhood and I don't understand parents thinking it's ok.  

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ZvOS/hyundai-spring-sales-event-street-hockey-t2

When I was a kid, we played a game (at night!) where we tried to see who could cross the road the most times between seeing a car's headlights and the car getting to the driveway of the house next door.  I lived on the outskirts of a small town in a rural county, so the nights were pretty dark.  Hey, we also rode in the backs of station wagons, the beds of pickup trucks, and never wore bike helmets - it's kind of amazing we all survived.

On ‎03‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 3:43 PM, Colleenna said:

Or  in my case, "Be home before the  street lights come on!"

We didn't have many lights on my road.  We had to be home by 10pm in the summer.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

When I was a kid, we played a game (at night!) where we tried to see who could cross the road the most times between seeing a car's headlights and the car getting to the driveway of the house next door.  I lived on the outskirts of a small town in a rural county, so the nights were pretty dark.  Hey, we also rode in the backs of station wagons, the beds of pickup trucks, and never wore bike helmets - it's kind of amazing we all survived.

Yes, it also depends on where you live.  I think if it's the suburbs or the city, most people know to slow down for kids when driving in their neighborhood.  However, you can't always depend on UPS or FedEx or other vehicles slowing down and I've seen them rounding the corner pretty quickly when kids were playing. 

So yeah, I still hate the ad no matter what other kids do now, or used to do when they were kids.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Yes, it also depends on where you live.  I think if it's the suburbs or the city, most people know to slow down for kids when driving in their neighborhood.  However, you can't always depend on UPS or FedEx or other vehicles slowing down and I've seen them rounding the corner pretty quickly when kids were playing. 

So yeah, I still hate the ad no matter what other kids do now, or used to do when they were kids.

Very true, but I don't mind the ad.  The kids seem more amazed by the car (yeah, right) and not obnoxiously "get out of my way, old driver" like the kids where I live now.  Get out of the damned street, you brats, that's what sidewalks are for.  (And stay off my lawn, too.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Candace is worth an estimated $14 million - I'm pretty sure that her cook can make her something, which she can eat as the chauffeur drives her to events. I get what the ad is trying to say, but I really don't think a celebrity is quite the person to try to sell it.

My current personal annoyance, which seems to be ubiquitous - Amy Poehler and her stupid Xfinity commercials, where she barges into people's living rooms and only wants them to watch movies and shows she's been in. I get that TPTB likely think it's funny, but IMO it's just a little weird, especially when you see it 999 times a week.

This question probably has an easy answer I'm just not aware of, but I've seen it referenced in previous comments -- what does "TPTB" stand for?

On 3/14/2020 at 12:07 AM, SmithW6079 said:

So I see that Peloton has decided to double down on "our products are for self-entitled pretentious douchebags" media campaign. First off, I hate how the on-screen instructors call everyone "Peletons," and I hate the smug narrator's "not everyone can do 20 minutes after work (or in the morning or whenever it is)" or whatever other asshat thing he says. And now there's the one with the little girl being brainwashed from hearing her father's bike talk about not half-assing it (not the actual wording). 

That drives me crazy about their commercials, "You got this, Peloton." No, douche canoe, the bike did not do the work, the rider did. 

A friend of mine was going to drop the cash on a Peloton but read somewhere that if you were 5' 1" or shorter, you could not move the seat up far enough to reach the handlebars. So she asked someone that she works with if she could drop by their house and just see if it could be adjusted for her and she could not reach. There were suggestions online about buying a pool noodle and attaching that to the handlebars to make them stick out more. She said she wasn't dropping that kind of cash on something to have to use a pool noodle to make it rideable. There are some shorter folks who manage, but I guess their arms are longer or something. But hell, if you're going to spend that kind of money to do highly competitive bike workouts, you want to be in the perfect position for such a thing. 

I have been seeing this paper towel commercial constantly during Judge Judy these days and it makes me crazy. Dad, the stupid dolt, bought cheap paper towels and on started to shred while he was cleaning. His smugface, bitch daughter comes over and laughs at him because of course she would have purchased the correct product using all of her 17 years of wisdom. Worse, is dad's face. He essentially looks like a crying toddler. The facial expression screams, "Yes, your father is dumb." I HATE those types of commercials. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

I saw a commercial for a vacuum--a Shark, I think--that can wash the floor as it vacuums up something. Which, great; I can see how that would be convenient. However, the commercial shows a woman in her home cleaning up a pile of spilled mac & cheese. Which, again, great if you need it. My annoyance comes because why on earth would you not, with such a small mess and in the comfort of your own home, just pick up the clump first and throw it out instead of doing it with the vacuum? And while the vacuum does supposedly self-clean, I feel like it would still be messy in there!

Also, Shark mops and vacuums, I find are really good...until, all of a sudden and out of nowhere, they just crap out!

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 3/18/2020 at 1:07 PM, Ohwell said:

My issue with the kids in my neighborhood is that they don't have sense enough to get out of the street when they see cars coming. 

This question has nothing to do with kids behaving like dumba$$es. It's about ADULTS on bicycles behaving like dumba$$es: When bicyclists AND cars come to a 4 way stop, do the bicyclists NOT have to stop and can just zip thru the stop sign? I see this frequently and it really infuriates me.

Ok. On to a commercial I hate. The Care.com commercial with that obnoxious little girl talking about how cute she is and how cute her dimples are. She has no dimples. Go away you pretentious, arrogant $hit.

• LOL 4
  • Love 12

In California, bicyclists have to stop at stop signs.  I got a ticket back in the '70s  when I was 17 for running a stop sign on my bike.

20 hours ago, configdotsys said:

That drives me crazy about their commercials, "You got this, Peloton." No, douche canoe, the bike did not do the work, the rider did. 

Technically peloton is the term for a group of bicycle riders who bunch together in a race.  So while the company is using it to refer to their machine, it's also proper use to refer to the riders.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2

If I see one more Go-Gurt commercial of someone shrieking with joy because their kid made their own lunch, or did some minor athletic activity, I'll hurl.  

And someone tell the Care . com kid that she has no dimples. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

If I see one more Go-Gurt commercial of someone shrieking with joy because their kid made their own lunch, or did some minor athletic activity, I'll hurl.  

And someone tell the Care . com kid that she has no dimples. 

Seriously. I keep the remote right next to and as soon as I hear that woman's voice it's insta-mute.

And that kid has to be around thirteen by now, I wonder how much shit she gets at school about her non existent dimples? "Hey Jayden, want me to come over there with this stapler a give you some dimples?"

• LOL 14
On 3/19/2020 at 10:52 PM, mmecorday said:

The commercial with Carrie Underwood working out like Rocky Balboa with a face full of carefully applied makeup needs to go away.

But, but, what about her agonized internal struggle over whether to exploit her fans by selling them her own brand of workout clothes be totally selfless in her commitment to her family or bravely carve out a precious hour each day to work out while wearing a bitchin' outfit and full makeup?

In other news, whatever happened to the injury she had when she fell on her face and made extremely dramatic announcements that she would never look the same? Because, you know, she does.

• LOL 9
  • Love 6

The pandemic is making me feel annoyed at every commercial. I know the ads were filmed before life as we knew it turned upside down, but I keep yelling, "Social distancing - stop touching!" The travel ads are especially annoying. No, Sandals Resorts, I don't think I'll be booking a vacation today. And it just seems cruel to be told that Reese's Egg Cups are everywhere  - gas stations, grocery stores, bowling alleys, chiropractor offices. Places that are now either shut down or possibly dangerous to ones health. 

• Love 14
31 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

#jesustakethescalpel

Every time I think that nothing could make me laugh harder than I ever have, someone posts a comment that is even more hilarious. I literally laughed until I cried with this one, @mmecorday

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
On 3/20/2020 at 7:43 AM, TattleTeeny said:

I saw a commercial for a vacuum--a Shark, I think--that can wash the floor as it vacuums up something. Which, great; I can see how that would be convenient. However, the commercial shows a woman in her home cleaning up a pile of spilled mac & cheese. Which, again, great if you need it. My annoyance comes because why on earth would you not, with such a small mess and in the comfort of your own home, just pick up the clump first and throw it out instead of doing it with the vacuum? And while the vacuum does supposedly self-clean, I feel like it would still be messy in there!

I find the idea of vacuuming up wet substances completely repulsive.

• Love 9

As a crazy maniac  someone who periodically scrubs clean every feasibly scrubbable part of my vacuums, I can kind of see this being a selling point in a private home. But then I also wonder exactly what kind of untenable mess has happened there to need it! You drop your dinner, just pick up the big pieces and clean the floor. But then there's this kind of horrific thing...

giphy.gif

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 9

There is a commercial for mac and cheese, I think it is Velveeta, not sure, but the opening bars are just like the sounds when news is breaking into a program to announce some terrible thing. Every time, my heart skips a little beat because I am afraid someone really important has died from the virus or some city has gone into complete chaos and rioting over toilet paper... Just too jarring given the way things are right now.

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

In case you didn't know, now is the time to buy a new car. Doesn't matter what kind, just buy one. BUY A NEW CAR, PEOPLE! Because this is the PERFECT time to do that.

Considering many car companies in the US have shut down their plants, this may be true.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Considering many car companies in the US have shut down their plants, this may be true.

Hmmm, my car is 23 yrs old, maybe now is the time???  But  I''m  70 what do I need with a new car??

• Love 6

There was an ad in my newspaper this morning from some home improvement company, who is giving away one free roll of toilet paper with any purchase of $1000 or more.  I guess if you actually need those home improvements it might be worth it?  But just one roll?

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Baby Bear would have to find another way to keep his hiney clean.  Drag his ass on the rug, rub up against a tree, wipe his butt with leaves or a slow moving squirrel.

My boss said if he runs out of TP he'll wipe with his stocks. 'Cause, you know, equal value right this moment.

• LOL 4

I it was not just me. How is it still running. 

Whenever I'm in the grocery store and I am picking up my cereal when I see that box the commercial Pops in my head and I refuse to buy it I wonder if they know that

On 9/19/2019 at 10:15 AM, Colleenna said:

What bugs me is that ads like this one send a message to children that this sort of disrespect is OK. And their wussy parents allow them to get away with it. 

On 9/19/2019 at 10:15 AM, Colleenna said:

What bugs me is that ads like this one send a message to children that this sort of disrespect is OK. And their wussy parents allow them to get away with it. 

• Love 1

At least some people can get delivery The only one that delivers to us is Dominos. GrubHub doesn't. I haven't tried UberEats. Panera Bread announced free delivery. When I tried to order delivery, they said it wasn't available to my address. It's 5 frickin' miles away.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

At least some people can get delivery The only one that delivers to us is Dominos. GrubHub doesn't. I haven't tried UberEats. Panera Bread announced free delivery. When I tried to order delivery, they said it wasn't available to my address. It's 5 frickin' miles away.

We can't even get Dominos.

14 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Do you have Door Dash?

• Love 2

I don't know that I'm annoyed/irritated or enraged about it, but it's interesting to me that the first ads referencing Covid19 and quarantine (in the last week or so) are internet providers and car manufacturers. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

"House in a Hurry" commercials for a new TLC commercial.

"Callhercallhercallhercallher."

Fast forward or mute.

Lord, yes. I don't watch those kinds of shows in general, and that commercial doesn't make me eager to start. That lady sounds like she'd be...a lot. 

• Love 8

The Bayer corporation has a  commercial  that ends with the  line "This is why we  science. " 

I screamed at the  TV:  "Science is not a  verb, you asshat!" What is it with  making nouns into  verbs? 

Edited by Colleenna
Duh moment
  • LOL 7
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

The Bayer corporation has a  commercial  that ends with the  line "This is why we  science. " 

I screamed at the  TV:  "Science is not a  verb, you asshat!" What is it with  making nouns into  verbs? 

Blame "The Martian" for that one, although I got a kick out of it when Matt Damon's character said he was going to "science the shit out of this."

• Love 7
On 3/22/2020 at 12:18 AM, Ashforth said:

In case you didn't know, now is the time to buy a new car. Doesn't matter what kind, just buy one. BUY A NEW CAR, PEOPLE! Because this is the PERFECT time to do that.

It's kind of funny, but I was planning on replacing my 2012 Ford Focus this year before the automatic manual transmission breaks. 

On 3/22/2020 at 1:13 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I've read that when you run out of TP, it's time to find the lone sock stash.  All those leftover socks from washer/dryer mishaps can be put to use. 

Heh. That reminds me of at least one ep of "World's Biggest Cheapskates ", in which cheapskate not only used rags instead of tp (how the hell is that cheaper?), they refused to flush the toilets!  🤢

21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

We can't even get Dominos.

Is that a bad thing? 😀

• LOL 5
1 minute ago, AZChristian said:

Thanks.  The commercial has been running constantly on TLC. I made an incorrect assumption. 

Both channels are owned by Discovery. They do a lot of cross promoting on their channels. I watched one episode - it was stupid. I got transferred to a new city in 1992 before all the internet resources we have today, and had no trouble finding a house in 5 days. Today, people should know exactly what houses they want to see before they go on a house hunting trip. No wonder the commercial is annoying.😀

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Heh. That reminds me of at least one ep of "World's Biggest Cheapskates ", in which cheapskate not only used rags instead of tp (how the hell is that cheaper?), they refused to flush the toilets!  🤢

Well IF you’ve saved every old piece of cloth (T-shirts, sheets, old rags) and carefully cut them into appropriate sized pieces, AND had a sanitary way to dispose of them (no worse than picking up doggie poop in bags, right?) then it could possibly be cheaper. Especially if you’re out of toilet paper. The refusing to flush part, though, I got nothing. 

And that’s all I’m gonna say about that. 

• Love 3