Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

44 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I’m shaking my head at the PSAs from celebs saying how we’re all in this together, we’ll get through this together, etc.  Right. You all are in you ginormous houses with everything you need. Meanwhile millions find themselves without jobs, health care, or security about where their next meal is coming from. But we’re in this together. 

They're annoying me to no end because we have no idea if we're going to make it through this or not.  I also hate the ones that say "you're not alone."  Um, yes I am actually.  Which brings me to the ones saying that this is a blessing to bring families closer together. Don't get me wrong.  I'm very happy for families that are getting time to spend together.  But, again, those of us that are alone are, well alone.  

But, lest I not count my blessings, I am actually still able to be working.  I don't know for how long, but at least for now.

• Love 21
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

Which brings me to the ones saying that this is a blessing to bring families closer together. Don't get me wrong.  I'm very happy for families that are getting time to spend together.  But, again, those of us that are alone are, well alone.  

There's also the fact that for anyone who lives in an abusive home, being with their families is about the last thing they want right now. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 16
On 4/3/2020 at 6:54 AM, Browncoat said:

I'm getting that, and I can't hit the mute button fast enough.

Also, Neuriva, I do not want to "brain" better.  I don't even know what that means.   Brain is not a verb.

There is another commercial that has “vitamin” as a verb. SMH.

On 3/28/2020 at 5:01 AM, icemiser69 said:

I thought this Angel Soft ad was okay, up until they showed the huge gaps between toilet paper rolls as they traveled on their way to packaging.  All of these toilet paper companies need to get their shit in gear

I actually know a lot about manufacturing and I can tell you that speeding up a production line is not as simple as it seems.  Production cadence, called takt time, is ultimately limited by the slowest operation on the line.  It doesn’t do any good to speed up one part if the incoming operation and following operation are limited is some way. (Think Lucille ball working the factory conveyor belt). And even if you could speed up the line quickly, you have to have raw materials arriving to feed the line.  Most plants like this are limited by the trucking industries. There is plenty of pulp out there, but we don’t have the logistics to get it there.  And then when you do produce more, you need the distribution channel to also be able to execute moving product out.  Again, highly reliant on trucking. Good luck finding many in the younger generation willing to do that job.

My current pet peeve is Molly and her fucking Stitch Fit jeans.  First of all, I don’t think they flatter her figure.  Secondly, it’s girls night out.  It’s not a first date.  Or a job interview.  Or your first night out after gender reassignment or lap band surgery.  So how is this a “big night out”? Get over it.

• Useful 5
  • Love 10

I've noticed there are an awful lot of commercials (most of them of the "we care about you" variety) that just play sappy instrumental music and have a whole bunch of words on the screen.  This is probably designed so they can try to force their message on people who have muted the commercials, or who are fast-forwarding through a recording.  They are only succeeding in getting on my nerves.

• LOL 6
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, KWalkerInc said:

I've noticed there are an awful lot of commercials (most of them of the "we care about you" variety) that just play sappy instrumental music and have a whole bunch of words on the screen.  This is probably designed so they can try to force their message on people who have muted the commercials, or who are fast-forwarding through a recording.  They are only succeeding in getting on my nerves.

Or that’s the only kind of commercial that can be made right now because they can’t get large groups of people together in order to do a decent one.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9

It sounds like he says, "I got high last December..." Also, he's, like, 15. How could he afford Ol' Roy, let alone Farmer's Dog at $8/day for a large dog (not to mention the massive apartment)?

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
On 4/11/2020 at 11:01 AM, chessiegal said:

To me, not buying a product because you don't like a commercial is like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I don't go to certain stores on ethical or moral principles (Chic-fil-a or Hobby Lobby) and would never buy any product that has Joanna Gaines name on it. Not buying a product because you don't like a commercial makes no sense to me.

I have NO problems in permanently boycotting Progressive- as long as they keep that (almost) universally reviled Flo popping up on my TV and 'puter! That's cutting off a little of their income NOT mine! The more folks who deliberately not buy what the ads are pitching, the less likely the sponsors will keep having those ads (except perhaps as tax write-offs/losses as I believe is the case with Flo). 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I have NO problems in permanently boycotting Progressive- as long as they keep that (almost) universally reviled Flo popping up on my TV and 'puter!

Funny you should say that. I don't have a strong opinion about Flo, but every time she came on my father would say "she must be the daughter of some executive at this company-- why else would she get a job doing this pitch??? She's so unappealing!!!"

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, QQQQ said:

It sounds like he says, "I got high last December..." Also, he's, like, 15. How could he afford Ol' Roy, let alone Farmer's Dog at $8/day for a large dog (not to mention the massive apartment)?

I also hear him say, "High-quality poop," as he's dishing it out.

16 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I also hear him say, "High-quality poop," as he's dishing it out.

Isn't that what he says? My husband and I laughed at that the other day, wondering if our cats have "high quality poop."

• Love 3

My current pet peeve is Molly and her fucking Stitch Fit jeans.  First of all, I don’t think they flatter her figure.  Secondly, it’s girls night out.  It’s not a first date.  Or a job interview.  Or your first night out after gender reassignment or lap band surgery.  So how is this a “big night out”? Get over it.

UGH! I came here to post about that! The jeans definitely don't do her any favors. they make her hips look huge. I'm not inclined to use the services of Stitch Fit if their aim is to accentuate the bulk of my ass, getting bulkier all the time.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

Funny you should say that. I don't have a strong opinion about Flo, but every time she came on my father would say "she must be the daughter of some executive at this company-- why else would she get a job doing this pitch??? She's so unappealing!!!"

Paisano, I've found him ! He GETS it! LOL

• Love 2

On the topic of the "in these uncertain times" commercials (and I know this is a bit OT), but I just saw a Farmer's ad in that vein. JK Simmons talks about their usual campaign--we've seen it--and admits they've never seen anything like what is happening now and that in the future they want to put it in their museum (meaning it's in the past). Very on-brand

• Love 12
5 hours ago, QQQQ said:

“When we brought her home, she was eating...little brown pieces in a bag.”

You mean kibble?

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I went back a few pages and haven't seen this one mentioned: how is it OK to show a family (which happens to be black) punching and hitting each other, and even kicking the dad through the glass patio door, all because they didn't have individual phones courtesy of Boost?

• Useful 1
23 hours ago, Haleth said:

I’m shaking my head at the PSAs from celebs saying how we’re all in this together, we’ll get through this together, etc.  Right. You all are in you ginormous houses with everything you need. Meanwhile millions find themselves without jobs, health care, or security about where their next meal is coming from. But we’re in this together. 

Each network has their own.  It's a dumb thing to be irritated about, but it irritates me when the person from the show I'm  watching is in the commercial.  (It also irritates me to see commercials for whatever I'm currently watching.)

The other thing that bothers me about those commercials, is there's one that includes the kid who plays Sheldon on Young Sheldon.  I don't need celebrities reassuring me that everything will be all right, and I certainly don't need a child to do it.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I went back a few pages and haven't seen this one mentioned: how is it OK to show a family (which happens to be black) punching and hitting each other, and even kicking the dad through the glass patio door, all because they didn't have individual phones courtesy of Boost?

Definitely one of the dumber commercials.  These people bust up their furniture and patio doors, fighting over a phone.  But they can afford to replace the crap they break? 

I think phone plans have gotten cheap enough so that almost everyone can afford extra lines.  It's the phones themselves that have gotten so pricey. 

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

Definitely one of the dumber commercials.  These people bust up their furniture and patio doors, fighting over a phone.  But they can afford to replace the crap they break? 

I think phone plans have gotten cheap enough so that almost everyone can afford extra lines.  It's the phones themselves that have gotten so pricey. 

We got a free phone when we signed up for T Mobile. They're nice Samsung smart phones.

• Love 2
On 4/15/2020 at 2:10 PM, elle said:

The ad I hated to see return, and can’t get to the remote fast enough to change the channel, is the bad acid trip that is promoting a gummy candy called Trolli, no relation to the movie.  The candies look like gummy worms.  I won’t inflict you all with a link to it.

I have a sick fascination with that ad, it plays a lot during Nick At Nite reruns of Friends.  I can’t look away from the disgusting weirdness, and the jingle sticks in my head.

Crap.  It’s there now.  Welcome to our land, sorry ‘bout your hand!!!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, dleighg said:

Isn't that what he says? My husband and I laughed at that the other day, wondering if our cats have "high quality poop."

I think it's "high quality food" that he's going for. My cats definitely have high-quality poop. Bosco thinks his is so special, if there's one turd in the box, he can't possibly disturb that masterpiece with another one, so he very carefully places a new one on the floor. Good thing I have water-resistant vinyl floors, easy to clean.  Of course, if I'd sift the box every half hour to meet his expectations, it wouldn't be a problem.

• LOL 17
  • Love 1

Like many here, I hate the damn Charmin bears and wouldn't buy Charmin under normal circumstances, but today, my SIL & brother brought me a 32-MEGAroll pack of Charmin. Since I'm down to 2 rolls of my regular Cottonelle, I graciously accepted the Charmin.  I still hate the freakin' bears.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Like many here, I hate the damn Charmin bears and wouldn't buy Charmin under normal circumstances, but today, my SIL & brother brought me a 32-MEGAroll pack of Charmin. Since I'm down to 2 rolls of my regular Cottonelle, I graciously accepted the Charmin.  I still hate the freakin' bears.

I'm a Cottonelle kind of person too, but under current conditions would take anything I can find...even the dumb Charmin bears...

• Love 6

I am so tired of that fucking "Rise Up" song being used in commercials.  I just heard it in a State Farm ad.  It's also in a lot of TV show ads, notably "All Rise."  Make it stop.

Amen to that. I don't know who sings that noise but her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I'm afraid she's going to give me seizures.

• Love 8

Re the old Herbal Essence ads, I thought they were horrible, they made me embarrassed, but they were on when I became foster parent to my 2 young nieces, ages 6 and 8. I cringed when they came on, but one night I asked the older girl what she thought was going on in that ad and she answered, "that lady really likes that shampoo!" So, I quit worrying.

I've been reminded of another old shampoo commercial lately, the one where the actress said, "you use x shampoo and you tell two friends and they tell two friends and so on and so on..." Makes me think of the how the virus spreads.

But to stuff I really am annoyed by. I watch ION a lot for old CSI NY reruns, they run a lot of positivity ads and most of them I don't mind, I'm rather entertained about the dance like a dad ads. But there's one for one of the Veterans organizations, I don't know if it's Wounded Warriors, I just mentally turn off when it runs. But the wife of a wounded veteran says, "I woke one morning to a odd phone call..." I scream at the tv, "an odd phone call!" Use "an" if the next word starts with a vowel!" Then later she's talking about her husband being wounded and then without a breath starts talking about how what's considered care giving she just thinks of as loving him. I think that may be the editing but it drives me crazy that there's 2 different subjects and she doesn't pause or breath before changing subjects.

Staying on ION or Pluto endless streaming of Cold Case Files and Forensic Files cuts down on a lot of the annoying ads. I just turn the volume down and play games.

Edited by friendperidot
why do I never see I left out a word until after I save?
  • Love 4

There’s some cheap crappy commercial for a hand sanitizer called Handvana and it’s so dumb. First, it says something about how “ordinary” hand sanitizer gels dry out everyone’s skin and shows people scratching the backs of their dried-out hands. Then, it goes on to claim that its non-gel format makes it easy to sanitize your entire hand—even the backs—while claiming that those “ordinary” hand sanitizers make it near impossible for people to get it onto the backs of their hands...the very part of the body that it just showed getting all dried out because of the “ordinary” hand sanitizers! And why do they think we can’t get gel onto both sides?! You do it the same way you get anything onto both sides of your hands!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 10

I too am sick of the sappy "thank you/we care/we are all in this together" COVID-19 commercials. 

First of all they are all so generic

Second, I am stuck at home trying to get my mind off things and the boredom by watching some TV, don't need to be reminded of it.

Third, a TV commercial isn't going to convince me you truly care. 

also I normally like Geico ads but that clogging family one bugs me

• LOL 2
  • Love 18

I just remembered the ad that's really getting on my nerves lately, Hanno for Gabi - some kind of auto insurance finder. For the longest time, I thought he was saying his name was Hodel, I watched Fiddler on the Roof a couple of months ago. I did finally happen to be looking at the screen and saw his name. I don't care if it's Hanno or Hodel, he annoys the snot out of me.

• LOL 2

"We're all in this together" ads - Regions Bank has one where they start off talking about community and how much they're a part of it and then the rest (most) of the ad is promoting the Atlanta Community Food Bank, complete with URL to either offer help or get help. It's the best of the COVID ads I've seen. Why, if I used a bank instead of a credit union, I would switch to them!

• Love 6

Allstate Mayhem commercial: Mother-In-Law

It feels like this one has been running on a loop forever, and it's arguably the worst Mayhem commercial they've ever done. If they're going to pick one to air incessantly I wish they would have chosen the one where he's playing a dog. That one's at least sort of cute. Comparatively, anyway.

The mother-in-law isn't creating "mayhem," she's just being a bitch. There's a difference.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 18
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 11:32 AM, peacheslatour said:

Grrr, that Robinhood commercial, where the green glitter blows up out of people's heads. That shit gets in their food, hair, just everywhere. Just what you want.

Crap, is that exploding colored clouds meme(?) back? Images of people running through colored clouds got to be so tiring when it was a thing a couple years ago.

People running thru color cloud.jpg

• Love 4
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 9:45 AM, icemiser69 said:

She is far better off than the dude that is walking down the extra small condom aisle.  Or as I like to call it, the stubby section.

Better than "Trojan Man", who looks like a registered sex offender who never bathes.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 10:42 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

On your second point, if I ever met Dennis Haysbert in a coffee shop I would never bring up Allstate.   I would be quoting his character in Major League.   

Is THAT who that is in those commercials? I can be "face blind" at times and not recognize people.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 10:43 AM, janie jones said:

That reminds me of the Always (I think) commercial where they announce in the beginning that some percentage of women don't realize they're using the wrong size pad.  I don't understand this.  All the different absorbencies are on the same aisle.  The pad and tampon boxes list the other absorbencies on the side.  When you bleed through one pad faster than you'd like, you don't think to yourself, "Hey, maybe I should look into those other absorbencies"?  Like, I don't always accurately predict which absorbency I'll need, so maybe I, too, am using the "wrong" size, but it's not because I need to be informed of the existence of others.  I feel like they're inventing a problem.

I know nothing about them, but I thought offering different sizes and absorbencies was something they just started to do! LOL

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 7:36 PM, Ashforth said:

Rumor had it that the reason for the abrupt exit from Fixer Upper was because Chip had an affair with a woman who worked on the show. But maybe it was because they were already planning to triple down on their fame with their new ventures. 

I heard Chip and Joanna quit the shop to sell premium facial cream. :-)

ETA: That's a joke related to the ubiquitous online clickbait and popups ads from a few years ago that were made without their permission.

Edited by Ubiquitous
Added explaination to obscure joke.
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Ubiquitous said:

I know nothing about them, but I thought offering different sizes and absorbencies was something they just started to do! LOL

No, it’s not new, but apparently it occurred to them that women don’t have the sense to move up to supers when they blow through regulars too fast. 

• Love 3
On 4/14/2020 at 11:51 AM, bad things are bad said:

Whereas I would buy HE in a heartbeat if it smelled like it did when it first came out in the 70s (actually herbal, and before aforementioned stupid ad!) 

Oh my gosh, me too.  That stuff smelled soooooo good; I don't know why the HE people ended the very best thing about that shampoo.

• Love 6
On 3/26/2020 at 1:49 PM, iMonrey said:

Maybe I'm cold hearted but I really don't like all the PSAs that the networks are airing right now, like all the CBS stars telling me "we're all in this together." I know these are supposed to be feel-good messages, but I'm trying to escape from all of this with a nice TV program for an hour of distraction. God knows we all need that right now. And these things just pull me right back into it.

For me, it's more like... Hey assholes! Instead of spending the money for the commercial, how about keeping your employees? Yes, I know it's probably in the marketing budget, but how hard could it be to move the money over to help our your work force??

The commercial on Discovery (and their sister channels) for their own shows that has some annoying song that says something like 'I saw the truth" mumble mumble yoooouuuuuu! Woooooaaahhhh!

I hate it. They play it ALL. THE. TIME. I have to mute as soon as I hear the first note.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

Oh my gosh, me too.  That stuff smelled soooooo good; I don't know why the HE people ended the very best thing about that shampoo.

I used to buy handmade soap from a lady in Washington state. My favorite was the almond-scented soap, which she stopped making. She told me new regulations regarding the purchase of almond oil made it next to impossible for her to buy any - perhaps something like that was why Herbal Essence changed its fragrance...regulations/prohibitions on some of the ingredients.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, materialgirl101 said:

For me, it's more like... Hey assholes! Instead of spending the money for the commercial, how about keeping your employees? Yes, I know it's probably in the marketing budget, but how hard could it be to move the money over to help our your work force??

Same here. They could save the million bucks or whatever they spent on the commercial and pay their employees with it. While their at it. Maybe donate some of their millions to food bank or medical research or one of the many other ways they could actually help. Both of those would actually show they cared. But no let's blow money on a worthless commercial.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

You kids just don't know how good you have it!

You must be about my vintage (though the belt disappeared right around the time I entered puberty). But the Health nurse who gave us "the talk" told US how lucky we were because SHE had to use a folded up piece of cloth!

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
40 minutes ago, dleighg said:

You must be about my vintage (though the belt disappeared right around the time I entered puberty). But the Health nurse who gave us "the talk" told US how lucky we were because SHE had to use a folded up piece of cloth!

I guess that's where we get the expression "on the rag".

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I guess that's where we get the expression "on the rag".

Well, yeah.  Disposable pads were invented in the 1880s or 90s and tampons in the 1920s or 30s.  Before that it was raags.

• Love 3
On 4/18/2020 at 9:52 AM, Ubiquitous said:

I'm curious, do you currently menstruate?  Because maybe what I thought was an invented problem for the commercial is actually a real thing.  They've had multiple absorbencies since I first got my period in the mid '90s. 

7 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

(old lady rant follows) In MY day, everyone got the same size everything, There was one kind of tampon (Tampax) and one kind of pad (Kotex, and you had to use a weird belt thingie to wear them).

You kids just don't know how good you have it! 

And we LIKED it! </Dana Carvey>

6 hours ago, janie jones said:

I'm curious, do you currently menstruate?  Because maybe what I thought was an invented problem for the commercial is actually a real thing.  They've had multiple absorbencies since I first got my period in the mid '90s. 

No, I never have menstrated. 😀

I just never heard about different sizes in commercials before.

• Love 3

There is a car company commercial on right now, I forget which one, I think Volvo where they say, paraphrasing 'we are not a car company......we are a people company'.

No, you are a f****** car company.  And I WANT my car to be made by a CAR company.  Don't get cute.  Its so stupid. 

So annoying

Also found this on youtube about the COVID 19 commercials :

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • LOL 9
  • Love 8
On 4/17/2020 at 9:09 PM, friendperidot said:

I've been reminded of another old shampoo commercial lately, the one where the actress said, "you use x shampoo and you tell two friends and they tell two friends and so on and so on..." Makes me think of the how the virus spreads.

That was Faberge Organics shampoo, and I've been thinking about that "you tell two friends" commercial lately.  I totally bought into all the hair hyperbole they were selling in the late 70s!

Just a comment on ION network.  They air the grimmest, most violent and depressing shows (Criminal Minds, Law & Order SVU, etc) but their motto is "Positively Entertaining Television", accent on the "Positively".  ION, you aren't kidding anyone, we all know you're airing the equivalent of crime porn.  Sit down.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7