Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The commercial does reference cleaning as you go while you cook, which would involved washing things by hand.  (I'm assuming, since I'm not someone who does that.)

Like most people I know I do use a dishwasher but I also wash things like the pots and pans by hand and also keep a sink full of soapy hot water and wash as I go along when I am baking.  I really hate the way the kitchen looks if I've just cooked and/or baked and then let the sink and counters fill up with pots and pans and ladles and mixing bowls etc.

• Love 7

My current contender for commercials that annoy, irritate, etc. is a tie among everything on AMC streaming. I tried to watch a show and it probably took about 2 hours to get through a 1-hour (40 minute) show. Tried their app on 2 different devices, their website on 2 different browsers... when I was able to get as far as a commercial break, it would go back to the beginning and show me a block of ads yet again. 

Fiji water, this probably isn’t your fault, but I never need to hear about you again!

• Love 2
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

My current contender for commercials that annoy, irritate, etc. is a tie among everything on AMC streaming. I tried to watch a show and it probably took about 2 hours to get through a 1-hour (40 minute) show. Tried their app on 2 different devices, their website on 2 different browsers... when I was able to get as far as a commercial break, it would go back to the beginning and show me a block of ads yet again. 

Fiji water, this probably isn’t your fault, but I never need to hear about you again!

Is it the Fiji water commercial that is narrated by a child?  I hate that one.  The pretentious copy is tedious.  That "untouched by man" line always makes me roll my eyes.

• Love 6

"Chicken of the Sea, infused with real herbs and spices."

As opposed to imaginary or fake ones?

(And while we're at it, I hate the name.  For the longest time after I moved to the States I didn't even realize they meant tuna.)

• Love 6
2 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

Is it the Fiji water commercial that is narrated by a child?  I hate that one.  The pretentious copy is tedious.  That "untouched by man" line always makes me roll my eyes.

I think it might be; I've tried to block it out.  It's really not the commercial itself that drives me nuts, it's the fact that it's almost always the first one in a group that keeps coming up over and over and over.

I'm back to using my lo-def dvr where I can skip the ads.  I might not be able to see all the HD details, but it will save a lot of aggravation.

• Love 2
On 3/2/2020 at 1:26 PM, Beany Malone said:

Like most people I know I do use a dishwasher but I also wash things like the pots and pans by hand and also keep a sink full of soapy hot water and wash as I go along when I am baking.  I really hate the way the kitchen looks if I've just cooked and/or baked and then let the sink and counters fill up with pots and pans and ladles and mixing bowls etc.

I don't keep soapy water in the sink, but I do clean up the prep stuff while the pie/cake is baking. (AFTER I wipe the bowl with the spatula and lick it all up!).  My mom always told me never go to bed with dirty dishes in the sink, but sometimes I have to disobey her - I've eaten something right after I've started the dishwasher and it's still running at bedtime & I'm too tired to hand-wash that last dish.

BTW, I loved ALL your books, Beany. Read them all when I was a pre-teen, back in the late 50s, early 60s.

• Love 3

I just saw an ad for a Kohler toilet that suggests that it's a good idea for a father to encourage his obnoxious child to throw toys, sandwiches and plants down the toilet.

There are no words.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

I just saw an ad for a Kohler toilet that suggests that it's a good idea for a father to encourage his obnoxious child to throw toys, sandwiches and plants down the toilet.

ad clearly written by someone who has town sewer, not septic!

• Love 11
(edited)

I can't get to the mute button fast enough when the new Cheers-style Domino's Pizza ad shows up.  Probably because I detested Cheers - the only good thing that came out of that sitcom was the Frasier spin-off. 

Between this and the older ad with "we're gonna expedite this order!" I am done with Domino's - not that I ever cared for their pies anyway.  Phooey.

Edited by mousegirl
  • Love 6
On 2/28/2020 at 5:06 PM, Katy M said:

It's a bill in Congress that I will fully admit I don't know if they've voted on it, f it passed, if it was defeated, or it just died.   The Dairy Farmer's Association feel that things like Almond MIlk and Coconut Milk confuse consumers and that they think it's actual milk so they want it illegal to label a product milk if it doesn't get milked out of an animal.

They actually got one of those canned "news" stories on at least one of my local news stations. I didn't see the story, but did see the promo, which started with an ominous warning that real milk is disappearing from your grocery store shelves, replaced with weird, suspicious liquids that call themselves milk. Beware!

• LOL 3

I'm getting tired of the Degree dry spray-on deodorant ad that has the sound of fingers snapping over and over to demonstrate how fast it dries.  We got it the first five times!  It's still better though than the Degree ad from a few years ago, with the sadistic college basketball coach that wouldn't let the players have water because the player who had used Degree wasn't sweating.

• Love 1
On 2/27/2020 at 10:01 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

The copy with that commercial cracks me up.  While there are a few pigments used in cosmetics that are sourced from animals like carmine, they usually aren't used in foundation.  The trend in cosmetics is vegan so of course CoverGirl is touting this as being vegan.  They are also touting this foundation being sulfate free.  Sulfates are not found in foundation.  But, sulfates are now "bad" so they add that to make their product look "good."  

That reminds me of the time I got something to drink at Earth Fare, (I think was soda?) and noticed the can had these ridiculous announcements printed on it, like "no GMO", "gluten free", etc. stuff one should never expect to find.

On 2/27/2020 at 6:39 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Also, I have to wonder, if your big selling point is being vegan, why would you put “milk” in the name?

It's not milk, it's "melk". See "krab" and "bef". 😀

22 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

I hate that commercial too. Am I the last person to realize Fiji Water probably doesn't come from the Fiji Islands? 

21 hours ago, Brookside said:

(And while we're at it, I hate the name.  For the longest time after I moved to the States I didn't even realize they meant tuna.)

Is that you, Jessica? 😉

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

That reminds me of the time I got something to drink at Earth Fare, (I think was soda?) and noticed the can had these ridiculous announcements printed on it, like "no GMO", "gluten free", etc. stuff one should never expect to find.

I used to buy Jelly Bellies for my employees, because I hate jelly beans and so wouldn't eat all of them.  They are prominently labelled as a "fat free food!"  Which is true because they are 99% sugar.

The commercial that's currently driving me around the bend is the Kentucky Fried Chicken one with the terrible, but extremely loud, singer.  

• Love 4
On 2/4/2020 at 7:49 PM, PennyPlain said:

The Purple Bricks commercials where one spouse 'confesses' to the other that they were wrong about Purple Bricks and they could have saved thousands in commission.  So the other person is mad and the confesser looks like they are about to burst into tears.  Yeah.  Right.

I hate those commercials too and I really don't get it.  The commercials make it sound like you can sell your house through Purple Bricks and they will do everything and it won't cost you anything.  I know they don't take a commission but they have to be charging you something.  Especially if they are the ones doing open houses, showing your house and drawing up paperwork.  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

It's still better though than the Degree ad from a few years ago, with the sadistic college basketball coach that wouldn't let the players have water because the player who had used Degree wasn't sweating.

I liked that commercial based solely on the fact that the non-sweaty player was CUTE. [/shallow]

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

As if E*Trade's wealth envy ad campaign wasn't bad enough, they now are trying to make me jealous of wealthy dogs. 😬

The one with the dogs on a sailboat and classic wooden powerboat? That one cracks us up. My husband's comment was - you don't see many dogs with classic powerboats like that anymore.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Y'know, not only does that asshat hassle the gecko over the spices in the biscuits/cookies and then eats them all, HE KEEPS THE DAMN PLATE!  WTH is he gonna do with that teeny plate?

Maybe he intends for his favorite dolly to use it with her tea set in the dollhouse inside that his wife is hoping the neighbors never find out about! 

• LOL 12
49 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Maybe he intends for his favorite dolly to use it with her tea set in the dollhouse inside that his wife is hoping the neighbors never find out about! 

He prances about the house like a pretty, pretty princess in his fairy dress on his tippy toes singing Tra la la..

• LOL 13
On 3/3/2020 at 11:41 AM, Brookside said:

And now I have the old “Ask any mermaid you happen to see...” jingle stuck in my head.

*sigh*...

• LOL 9

The Birds Eye ad for ‘riced cauliflower’...the woman comes in the kitchen to see her partner making “stir fry”.  She looks mighty confused, and says “Rice????” as if rice in a stir fry dish is unnatural and affront to God.  He says, “I got you babe!” and shows the bag of cauliflower.  And all is right in her world, I guess?  I know eating more veggies is important and things like “rice” and “noodles” made of vegetables is a good option.  But in this ad, there’s no hint given why this lady is mildly shocked or dismayed by the idea she may have to eat rice. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

The Birds Eye ad for ‘riced cauliflower’...the woman comes in the kitchen to see her partner making “stir fry”.  She looks mighty confused, and says “Rice????” as if rice in a stir fry dish is unnatural and affront to God.  He says, “I got you babe!” and shows the bag of cauliflower.  And all is right in her world, I guess?  I know eating more veggies is important and things like “rice” and “noodles” made of vegetables is a good option.  But in this ad, there’s no hint given why this lady is mildly shocked or dismayed by the idea she may have to eat rice. 

She's probably on a low carb diet.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

I just watched it, and I don't think her reaction is exaggerated.  She obviously doesn't normally eat rice with her stir fry, so when he tells her he made her favorite and she sees what she thinks is rice in it, she wonders why he made it differently, asking, "With rice?" He shows her that it's cauliflower.  It's all very simple and natural to me. 

Maybe because I don't eat rice with my stir fry, either (or with much of anything; I only eat it with stuff like curry, and I've switched to cauliflower "rice" because I like cauliflower more than I like rice) -- if my partner, knowing I don't eat it that way, tempted me by telling me as I walked in the door that he'd made my favorite meal and then presented me with that stir fry - in which the "rice" is mixed in, so it's not like it's her regular stir fry sitting on a bed of rice and she can just not eat the rice - I, too, would question the presence of rice.  Only I'd probably say, "Why the hell did you put rice in it when you know I don't like it?"  So she's much nicer than I am.

• LOL 4
5 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Those two girls playing their kazoos during a college class are rude and annoying in the Facebook Groups commercial.

Both my parents were academics and I have to agree! Moreover, this ad only helped me dig in my heels to NEVER, EVER want to bother with Facebook so it was an utter fail! 

• Love 8
On 3/5/2020 at 1:50 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Y'know, not only does that asshat hassle the gecko over the spices in the biscuits/cookies and then eats them all, HE KEEPS THE DAMN PLATE!  WTH is he gonna do with that teeny plate?

Etiquette says that when someone bakes goodies for you you should return the plate/pan/bowl with your own homebaked good.  Maybe that's why he doesn't give it back; he's going to bake something.

10 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Those two girls playing their kazoos during a college class are rude and annoying in the Facebook Groups commercial.

I hate this commercial.  Incredibly rude.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Etiquette says that when someone bakes goodies for you you should return the plate/pan/bowl with your own homebaked good.  Maybe that's why he doesn't give it back; he's going to bake something.

What? A toaster crumb? Somehow I don't think it would be as tasty as the near microscopic cookies the GEICO gecko had baked! 

Oh, I saw on that site rhyming with Clue Rube, a Carol Burnett Show commercial parody which had Harvey Korman enact Alan Sues playing Peter Pan to sell Peter Pan Peanut Butter. Yeah, Mr. Korman did a great spoof as usual but what were they thinking having someone billed as 'Uncle Al, the Kiddies' Pal' from Laugh-In play the full-grown Peter Pan crashing through into a suburban kitchen with a homemaker and her kids having lunch to sell peanut butter? Even the kid in the commercial said he was weird but made a great peanut butter!   It was rather creepy, IMO!

Edited by Blergh
addendum
On 2/12/2020 at 8:53 AM, Ubiquitous said:

There's a commercial for Facebook Groups (WHY?! 🤷‍♂️) which features students leaving the middle of a lecture while playing their kazoos.  I'm not sure where to begin... 

This commercial enrages me.

• Love 5

Candace Cameron Bure talking to Charlie the Tuna like he's the Great Gazoo on the red carpet. "No time to eat, Charlie!" Then he gives her tuna in pouch, which she eats during the awards ceremony. The stupid is strong with this ad.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

Sylvester Stallone's face at the end of one of those Facebook Groups commercials never fails to frighten me.

I was going to say  it annoys me but neither entity has been a favorite of mine for quite some time!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

Candace Cameron Bure talking to Charlie the Tuna like he's the Great Gazoo on the red carpet. "No time to eat, Charlie!" Then he gives her tuna in pouch, which she eats during the awards ceremony. The stupid is strong with this ad.

I have a hard time with that ad campaign.  You know those pouches full of seasoned tuna are going to be fragrant. I know cameras can't capture smells, but she is subjecting everyone around her to its effects which is not a great look for a working actress.   

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Its really stupid. Why didn't she eat before going to the ceremony? 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have a hard time with that ad campaign.  You know those pouches full of seasoned tuna are going to be fragrant. I know cameras can't capture smells, but she is subjecting everyone around her to its effects which is not a great look for a working actress.   

That's what I always think when this comes on!  "Great choice, Charlie!"  Co-stars are furiously shaking their heads no at that moronic cartoon tuna!

• LOL 4
On 11/24/2019 at 11:19 AM, Browncoat said:

There's a Chevy ad (because of course it's a Chevy ad) on high rotation that ends with a woman giving the most fake giggle ever.  I haven't paid enough attention to the rest of it to know what's coming, or I'd mute it every time.  I hate that fake giggle.

Quoting this post from three months ago because this commercial is apparently back in rotation, as I've seen it twice today.

• Love 2
On 3/6/2020 at 2:02 AM, Blergh said:

Both my parents were academics and I have to agree! Moreover, this ad only helped me dig in my heels to NEVER, EVER want to bother with Facebook so it was an utter fail! 

I loathe Facebook and have an account only because I need one for work and also the occasional internet stalking looking up old friends. The ad in question is both obnoxious and idiotic. Who is it supposed to appeal to? Obnoxious idiots? Well done, Facebook. 🙄

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Hey, I wasn't on Facebook before it was cool not to be on Facebook.

I also wan't on Facebook before it was cool not to be on Facebook, but am on Facebook now that it is not cool to be on Facebook.  I'm nothing if not consistent.

• LOL 9

I find Facebook to be useful for getting info and resources. 4 years ago we had a blizzard that dropped 3 feet of snow. My husband was in Alabama and I couldn't shovel the driveway. I got on our neighborhood group and said I wanted to hire someone to shovel the driveway. Within an hour a neighbor was there with his snow blower and another was there with a shovel. It was such a big help. I follow my favorite consignment store that has a lot of turnover. They post pictures, between 35-40, of new inventory every week. I follow a site that tells of accidents/closures on local roads. I follow our marina which posts updates. And of course family and friends.

• Love 5

That's all well and good, but there are some of us who will never get on Facebook.  Plus, there are other ways to get info and stay in contact with family and friends.

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I find Facebook to be useful for getting info and resources. 4 years ago we had a blizzard that dropped 3 feet of snow. My husband was in Alabama and I couldn't shovel the driveway. I got on our neighborhood group and said I wanted to hire someone to shovel the driveway. Within an hour a neighbor was there with his snow blower and another was there with a shovel. It was such a big help. I follow my favorite consignment store that has a lot of turnover. They post pictures, between 35-40, of new inventory every week. I follow a site that tells of accidents/closures on local roads. I follow our marina which posts updates. And of course family and friends.

The next door app does the same thing with the added benefit of not being on Facebook nor being obligated to friend people. We don’t have snow blowing emergencies but it works for if there’s a hurricane coming and there are people who are unable to board their windows by themselves. 

On an ordinary basis, my neighbors mostly complain about how there are too many cars parked in the street.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

That's all well and good, but there are some of us who will never get on Facebook.  Plus, there are other ways to get info and stay in contact with family and friends.

Absolutely- and so far, their ads have brought nothing to the table to convert at least this Facebook Resister!

• Love 2