Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

There are a series of commercials on right now promoting getting the shingles vaccine.  A laudable message.  So why do they feel the need to have mature adults shriek "Shingles can be WHAAAT" in response to everything being said?  Beyond annoying!

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Beany Malone said:

There are a series of commercials on right now promoting getting the shingles vaccine.  A laudable message.  So why do they feel the need to have mature adults shriek "Shingles can be WHAAAT" in response to everything being said?  Beyond annoying!

ANY product that has commercials that shriek, yell, scream or otherwise jolt me out me out my chair shall never see dime one from me. You paying attention Gogurt?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I saw a new one for K Jeweler last night featuring this hideously-dressed man making his way thru a crowd of people holding heart balloons to give a ring to an equally poorly-dressed woman. I don't know why this commercial annoys me so much, but it does!

Yuck. Such stupid nonsense that is Valentine's Day. "every kiss begins at Kay's". Barf.

And equally nauseating is Jake from State Farm. Yep. He's back again. Same old stale commercial that State Farm dredged up from the archives.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I saw a new one for K Jeweler last night featuring this hideously-dressed man making his way thru a crowd of people holding heart balloons to give a ring to an equally poorly-dressed woman. I don't know why this commercial annoys me so much, but it does!

They look like a couple of clowns.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Oh god, the credit karma one with the two young women having lunch and talking about the apartment one of them has just seen. "Dude"  "Dude"  kill me, kill me now.  And if that isn't irritating enough the one who desperately wants the apartment tells the other one when asked if she applied for it "oh I'll do it this afternoon".  But "dude" and "dude" are snarling at others and insisting "that apartment is MINE".  Ugh...

On 2/10/2020 at 8:38 AM, Ubiquitous said:

He's wearing orange not red, she too is wearing orange not red or pink.  Not the usual Valentine's Day stuff.  They are different! (/sarcasm)

Of course he is giving her jewelry, heart shaped jewelry no less. We are supposed to buy into how unique that is to giving someone red roses or a heart shaped balloon.

It is no wonder this commercial annoys you, it is a sprain from eye rolling level of annoying.

• Love 6
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 4:29 PM, janie jones said:

I saw this commercial for the first time yesterday.  Is that weird knee dance from something, or did they just decide the people in this commercial should be doing a weird knee dance?

Speaking of the "knee dance", there's this commercial for vitamins, I think, featuring this stocky guy taking the product and then doing a walking dance on the treadmill. It's bad enough he's doing a treadmill dance, but I swear it looks like his head was morphed onto someone else's body because it looks so freaking weird and fake!

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 7:22 PM, chenoa333 said:

And equally nauseating is Jake from State Farm. Yep. He's back again. Same old stale commercial that State Farm dredged up from the archives.

I don't mind it too much, since they changed the ending slightly.

• Love 5

The Coventry ad, and the consumer cellular ones...basically ANY commercial where the over 55 crowd is portrayed as internet unaware. Newsflash...this age group was between 35 and 40ish when they first started using computers so they certainly aren't Luddites 20yrs later!  Ageism makes my skin crawl!

• Love 11
15 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I think you're supposed to take the wrappers off the cheese.....

The first time my mother bought the individually wrapped slices, she didn't realize they had wrappers and put them on my brother's sandwich with the plastic still on.  That was a rude awakening when he bit into the sandwich.

• LOL 16
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The first time my mother bought the individually wrapped slices, she didn't realize they had wrappers and put them on my brother's sandwich with the plastic still on.  That was a rude awakening when he bit into the sandwich.

My sweet, little old gran one April Fools Day made pancakes for my grandpa with circles of flannel inside each one.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1

I'm getting really sick of the DirecTV ad where a man receives a jersey with "Colon" on the back (without the accent mark over an o) and his female friend starts prattling on about NBA League Pass and jokes about her friend having a half-brother "Semi-Colon."  It's not the worst commercial they've had over the years, but I must see it 10-15 times a day even though I don't watch that much stuff.  It's really irritating.

• Love 2

For some reason the commercial where the Mom performs "bag checks" on the kids' school lunches so they replace junk food with raisins is like nails on a chalkboard to me.  Especially the little girl doing a bag check on the Mom's lunch.  

• Love 1
On 3/22/2019 at 10:52 AM, Deni said:

I’m annoyed by the Huggies commercial where the woman is bouncing her baby on her lap on the subway train, saying that her baby isn’t wet after 5 stops. If you look at everyone on the train, they are wearing long-sleeved shirts. The baby is wearing only a diaper, and a short-sleeved shirt. Does the mother really take her baby out in cold weather like that?

Yes and woman is absolutely goofy looking.  Like a big cross eyed clown.  It’s like trendy now to put ugly people in commercials.  So strange

• Love 3
2 hours ago, bkathi said:

For some reason the commercial where the Mom performs "bag checks" on the kids' school lunches so they replace junk food with raisins is like nails on a chalkboard to me.  Especially the little girl doing a bag check on the Mom's lunch.  

I don't care for that one either.  I think it's because they're so rushed, frantic.  Makes me nervous just watching them.  Relax.  Take a few minutes.  Maybe get up a bit earlier so you don't have to be in such a hurry.

I'm liking the struggling actor in the Liberty Mutual ads.  I don't think this is the last we'll see of him.  He's got a bit of a David Boreanaz (sp?) vibe.

This is more of a dumb commercial than anything else, but the one for Spectrum with two ladies comparing what they get from Dish Network versus Spectrum. When the Spectrum lady says she get the sports package or whatever, the Dish Network lady pouts "Well . . . I don't get that!" Um, lady? You could get that if you upgraded to another package. That's kind of the whole point. The two women are comparing apples to oranges. All providers promise low rates but once you start adding on the stuff you want you end up paying the same everywhere.

I'm seeing this ad a lot lately so it's been bugging me. Which is weird, because I have Spectrum. Just for the record, their equipment sucks.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, iMonrey said:

This is more of a dumb commercial than anything else, but the one for Spectrum with two ladies comparing what they get from Dish Network versus Spectrum. When the Spectrum lady says she get the sports package or whatever, the Dish Network lady pouts "Well . . . I don't get that!" Um, lady? You could get that if you upgraded to another package. That's kind of the whole point. The two women are comparing apples to oranges. All providers promise low rates but once you start adding on the stuff you want you end up paying the same everywhere.

I'm seeing this ad a lot lately so it's been bugging me. Which is weird, because I have Spectrum. Just for the record, their equipment sucks.

So does Dish. My parents had it and I've never in my life endured shittier customer service and crap equipment.

• Love 1
On 2/8/2020 at 10:25 PM, Colleenna said:

I hate this Turbotax  ad. It's just  plain irritating.  

You aren't kidding. What twisted mind thought this stupid song and dance would make a great way to sell tax software? Especially when competition within the category is heating up. Shouldn't the ad be about Turbo Tax features and advantages?

I had meant to review and rate every Super Bowl ad this year on my blog. Couldn't do it. The sheer idiocy would have given me an explosive aneurysm. I settled for writing a post that highlighted a few ads and suggested that the best Super Bowl ad (a full-page ad in the New York Times from Ryan Reynolds for Mint Mobile) wasn't a TV commercial at all.

But you can bet your butt that this ad from Turbo Tax was my shining example of abject stupidity for this year.

SO. BAD.

Keep the ad discussions coming. I need ideas for my next ad review!

Edited by TheCrankyCreative
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Speaking of tax services, I'd like five minutes alone with the idiot who decided to use The Most Wonderful Time of the Year for their tax services commercial. Just when most of us are breathing a sigh of relief at not having to hear schlocky Christmas songs any more, here they come again.

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Speaking of tax services, I'd like five minutes alone with the idiot who decided to use The Most Wonderful Time of the Year for their tax services commercial. Just when most of us are breathing a sigh of relief at not having to hear schlocky Christmas songs any more, here they come again.

The only time I've ever liked that song was in the Staples Back-to-School commercial with the happy dad.  So I'm with you on this one.

• LOL 1
  • Love 20
20 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Is that the same one where the two ladies are doing a reenactment of what the voice-over lady already informed the view of?  Because I cannot stand that one as well as the one drug commercial which does the same.  Give me two actors having a conversation or a voice-over, no need for both especially when it's a 30 second ad.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Have you seen this Boost Mobile commercial?

If you run the commercial full screen, I think it says in really tiny print on the bottom of the screen "Fictionalization.  Do not attempt".   My fine print reading is horrible, I think I quoted the screen properly.

Why would anyone want to attempt that?  Why would anyone want a dog to bite them in the ass?  Is there a fetish for that?   Do people get turned on by dogs biting them in the ass?  Or is it one of those things where they hope their significant other will kiss the booboo and make it better?  Oh, I am sure that will go over well.  "Honey, can you kiss my ass?"

Rule 34.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 1:15 PM, AuntiePam said:

I'm liking the struggling actor in the Liberty Mutual ads.  I don't think this is the last we'll see of him.  He's got a bit of a David Boreanaz (sp?) vibe.

It's the only Liberty Mutual ad I like. Liberty, Biberty, lol.

• Love 7

This is an ad for a new TV show instead of a product, but a shorter version of this runs incessantly on FXX.  I will NOT be watching this, just on the principle of how obnoxious this is.

****THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT VIDEO AND I CAN'T DELETE IT****

Edited by funky-rat
18 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

These have been running for a while now, but I hate the ones where the mother screams “She’s becoming an independent child” in a sing song way.  

Cosign. I have never heard anyone else so thoroughly ruin the delivery of what should be a positive statement.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Didn't this guy DIE in 2000?

Jim Varney did indeed die in 2000. I'm not watching 11 minutes of video to see how he is being exploited after his death. But really, this on top of the long dead Jimmy Dean? 

cue the harmonica...

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, seasons said:

Hate everything about this one.

Creepy delivery guy just makes it worse.

For some reason, I thought this guy (the dancer) was some famous athlete, but apparently he's a former Dancing With The Stars participant named Jordan Fisher. 

This same concept was used back in 2008 for Guitar Hero (which I think is defunct now) after David Cook won American Idol : David Cook Guitar Hero

Other topic: I have nightmares sometimes about some moron having triplets, who she intends to name Emgality, Otezla and Skyrizzi.

Edited by sempervivum
clarity
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 14
59 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

For some reason, I thought this guy (the dancer) was some famous athlete, but apparently he's a former Dancing With The Stars participant named Jordan Fisher. 

This same concept was used back in 2008 for Guitar Hero (which I think is defunct now) after David Cook won American Idol : David Cook Guitar Hero

Other topic: I have nightmares sometimes about some moron having triplets, who she intends to name Emgality, Otezla and Skyrizzi.

Oh lord, I was up half the night with that stupid, awful Skyrizzi "song" stuck in my head. 

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

OK.  THIS is the correct obnoxious FXX promo.  Not sure where the Vern video came from.

Oh, the Hi I’m Dave one? Yes, I see it a lot because I’m often watching FXX for Simpsons reruns. That promo coming on has me diving for the mute button ASAP.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Oh, the Hi I’m Dave one? Yes, I see it a lot because I’m often watching FXX for Simpsons reruns. That promo coming on has me diving for the mute button ASAP.

Yep.  No, I don't know him as L'il Dicky, and don't want to know him as Dave.  🙄

• Love 4
On 1/13/2020 at 3:01 PM, spiderpig said:

Apologies to Matthew McConnehey fans, but I can't stand him.  Now he's all over the place in Lincoln ads (like he'd propel me to buy a Lincoln).  But the latest with him in the arctic like an escaped serial killer whistling the Andy Griffith theme makes my skin crawl.

It's on all the time.

Back in the day I thought he was kinda hot.  THEre was a poster years ago of him holding a bottle of whiskey and it was captioned Wicked and he was sexy.

i did like him in Ed TV.  But my favorite role is when he plays Officer Abe Lincoln in Boys on the Side.  So young a fresh faced.  Reminds me of Brad Pitts role in Thelma and Louise.  I hear he also has hygiene issues.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Oh, no. The Cricket 'Hi-eeee' 'By-eee' ads are back.

I either missed it the first time around, or repressed the memory of it; I thought it was new.  I heard it numerous times this weekend, and scrambled for the remote every time.  Horrible!

• Love 5
On 2/12/2020 at 8:53 AM, Ubiquitous said:

There's a commercial for Facebook Groups (WHY?! 🤷‍♂️) which features students leaving the middle of a lecture while playing their kazoos.  I'm not sure where to begin... 

Yeah, if you want to promote facebook groups, fine, but doing with students just disrupting and being rude to their teacher?  does not work for me at all

• Love 11