Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Oh lord, I was up half the night with that stupid, awful Skyrizzi "song" stuck in my head. 

Not as bad (IMO) as "Oh, oh, oh, Ozempic" sung to the tune of "It's Magic" by The Pilots. Man that one gets stuck in my head every time it's on.

• Love 15

I know I should be happy to see a curious child wanting to learn .....BUT. I cant stand the Amazon commercials with the little kids asking constant questions..." how is the sky blue?" " how did you know what to buy?" " how did you find such a great palce?"......SHUT UP.   It just rubs me the wrong way and I find the kid irritating.  I am just one of those people that dont find every little thing a kid does adorable.

Edited by Poohbear617
  • Love 15

The damn three minute long mini infomercial commercials especially the one for the airbrushed makeup. With the annoying as hell Cher song "turn back time"

First off Cher is a washed up ugly hag who probably shouldn't be helping pitch makeup.

Finally sneaking in a small infomercial dial that takes up the entire break is just wrong. I'd like to load up that makeup sprayer with traffic cone orange paint and spray whoever thought that commercial was a good idea

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Tashalynn29 said:

First off Cher is a washed up ugly hag who probably shouldn't be helping pitch makeup.

Cher didn’t write that song so I’m pretty sure she has no say in it being used in a commercial. 

• Love 9
18 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Not as bad (IMO) as "Oh, oh, oh, Ozempic" sung to the tune of "It's Magic" by The Pilots. Man that one gets stuck in my head every time it's on.

I still can’t hear “Your Love” by the Outfield without thinking “He should have used some Bounce to dryyyyyy...”

(Or, for that matter, Carly Simon’s “Anticipation” without thinking “ketchup.”)

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Cher didn’t write that song so I’m pretty sure she has no say in it being used in a commercial. 

Perhaps she didnt write it. If so, who sang it? Sure sounds like Cher to me and I dont think of the writer when I hear that horrid song I think of her

Edited by Tashalynn29
4 minutes ago, Tashalynn29 said:

Perhaps she didnt write it. If so, who sang it? Sure sounds like Cher to me and I dont think of the writer when I hear that horrid song I think of her

She sang it, but if she didn't write or co-write it, she may not have any rights regarding its use in commercials.  Now, I do agree with you that the song is not good and that the commercial in question is terrible, but I do still love Cher.  Just not that song.  (I don't particularly like Believe either, but it is pretty great to dance to.)

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

She sang it, but if she didn't write or co-write it, she may not have any rights regarding its use in commercials.  Now, I do agree with you that the song is not good and that the commercial in question is terrible, but I do still love Cher.  Just not that song.  (I don't particularly like Believe either, but it is pretty great to dance to.)

OMG, Believe. When we were in France in '99 you could not go anywhere without hearing that song blasting. Bleh, I'll always love Cher but that is a song I never need to hear again.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 2/17/2020 at 11:32 AM, sempervivum said:

Oh, no. The Cricket 'Hi-eeee' 'By-eee' ads are back.

One of the worst ever made!!  I can't hit the mute button fast enough sometimes, and then, I've got those words stuck in my head! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
39 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

One of the worst ever made!!  I can't hit the mute button fast enough sometimes, and then, I've got those words stuck in my head! 

Ugh. That's the exact same thing that happens to me with Skyrizzi commercials. "Things are gettin' clearer...." Aarrrghhh!

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

The Banana should have spent less time trying to bend at the waist, and more time hiding himself behind the asparagus.  In the most recent commercial, the Banana is missing.  Rest in Peace Banana, you will be missed.🍌😢

Maybe he will reanimated like Mr. Peanut. God, what a crass, cynical way to try to hitch your product to the current popularity of the Child. (baby Yoda, The Mandalorian)

• Love 7
14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Maybe he will reanimated like Mr. Peanut. God, what a crass, cynical way to try to hitch your product to the current popularity of the Child. (baby Yoda, The Mandalorian)

I don't get the dolphin noises.  Is that supposed to be cute?

• Love 1

The Reese's commercial advertising the chocolate/peanut butter Easter Bunny - what the hell does "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye have to do with chocolate Easter bunnies?  

I get they were doing something similar around Valentine's Day and kind of got the connection of the chocolate and peanut butter "getting it on" to make a Reeses', but seriously???  

• LOL 3
Just now, njbchlover said:

The Reese's commercial advertising the chocolate/peanut butter Easter Bunny - what the hell does "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye have to do with chocolate Easter bunnies?  

I get they were doing something similar around Valentine's Day and kind of got the connection of the chocolate and peanut butter "getting it on" to make a Reeses', but seriously???  

Bunnies doing what it is that bunnies do?

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Bunnies doing what it is that bunnies do?

Ha-ha!  I just watched it again (UGH!!), and it's actually just a plain chocolate bunny and a jar of peanut butter - next thing you see are Reese's peanut butter/chocolate covered eggs.  Now, it really makes absolutlely no sense.  

Plus, I dislike that the commercial is making me grow to hate a song from my younger days - as so many commercials are doing now! 

Edited by njbchlover
49 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

Ha-ha!  I just watched it again (UGH!!), and it's actually just a plain chocolate bunny and a jar of peanut butter - next thing you see are Reese's peanut butter/chocolate covered eggs.  Now, it really makes absolutlely no sense.  

Plus, I dislike that the commercial is making me grow to hate a song from my younger days - as so many commercials are doing now! 

Did you want to see the bunny and the jar of peanut butter really going at it and then have Reese's egg babies for it to make sense?

• LOL 15
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Did you want to see the bunny and the jar of peanut butter really going at it and then have Reese's egg babies for it to make sense?

No - it doesn't make sense because rabbits don't lay eggs, as much as Cadbury (and now, Reeses') would like us to believe differently. So even IF we were to see a bunny and a jar of peanut butter really going at it, as you say, it's still non-sensical.  

I don't like commercials that stupidly insult my intelligence.  I know most, if not all, commercials do that, but some are just more annoying about it than others.  And, to add in the Marvin Gaye song just adds to my annoyance.

Just my opinion - ymmv.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

No - it doesn't make sense because rabbits don't lay eggs, as much as Cadbury (and now, Reeses') would like us to believe differently. So even IF we were to see a bunny an a jar of peanut butter really going at it, as you say, it's still non-sensical.  

I don't like commercials that stupidly insult my intelligence.  I know most, if not all, commercials do that, but some are just more annoying about it than others.  And, to add in the Marvin Gaye song just adds to my annoyance.

Just my opinion - ymmv.

It has bothered me since I was a little kid that the Easter Bunny is not going to lay eggs but that's the way it's celebrated. I guess new life is what the Pagans were celebrating and like Christmas, when a Pagan ritual is co-opted by Christians, the symbolism gets muddled.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 2/13/2020 at 7:41 PM, iMonrey said:

This is more of a dumb commercial than anything else, but the one for Spectrum with two ladies comparing what they get from Dish Network versus Spectrum. When the Spectrum lady says she get the sports package or whatever, the Dish Network lady pouts "Well . . . I don't get that!" Um, lady? You could get that if you upgraded to another package. That's kind of the whole point. The two women are comparing apples to oranges. All providers promise low rates but once you start adding on the stuff you want you end up paying the same everywhere.

I'm seeing this ad a lot lately so it's been bugging me. Which is weird, because I have Spectrum. Just for the record, their equipment sucks.

No kidding about Spectrum.  We lose WiFi, or TV, at least twice a month for  6-24 hours, but I never see a credit on my bill

• Love 2

I'm sure it's been mentioned here, but I HATE that freaking Emu and Doug.  

Pinnochio is getting a bit old, too.  The first one as a motivational speaker, yeah kind of cute.  But it's a one joke deal - we get it he lies, nose grows.  Hardy har har.

• Love 15
30 minutes ago, hoosier80 said:

Indeed. I dont hate animals. I hate people who dress up animals and make them shill for a shitty insurance company with annoying noises in it. 

• Love 5

The bladder control undergarment commercials make roll my eyes

First:  The one where a woman wearing a tight, white skirt is is worried about it be visible through her clothes.  It shows her backside in the skirt at the end and....no visibility, which I find hard to believe.  Unless the skirt is lined, I would think even regular patterned underwear would show through white material, let along a puffy, crinkly, flower-bedecked bladder control one.

Second: the one picturing a sweaty, frizzy-haired overweight woman taking an exercise class juxtaposed with a tall, slim, skinny-jean wearing young mother playing with her toddler.  Maybe I'm nitpicking and I'm not someone whose easily offended, but for some reason the choices they used to portray the two women bother me.  Yeah - I am nitpicking.

• Love 8
On 2/21/2020 at 10:44 AM, peacheslatour said:

It has bothered me since I was a little kid that the Easter Bunny is not going to lay eggs but that's the way it's celebrated. I guess new life is what the Pagans were celebrating and like Christmas, when a Pagan ritual is co-opted by Christians, the symbolism gets muddled.

Yeah, I always wondered where the Easter Bunny was supposed to have gotten the eggs.  Luckily my parents didn't try to have us believe the Easter Bunny was real so no mental gymnastics were required.

17 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

Pinnochio is getting a bit old, too.  The first one as a motivational speaker, yeah kind of cute.  But it's a one joke deal - we get it he lies, nose grows.  Hardy har har.

The motivational speaker one is poorly conceived, in my mind, though I could be overthinking it.  It's not clear to me what they are saying is the reason he's a bad motivational speaker.  His nose is growing because he doesn't believe the things he's saying.  So can't he just change his spiel so that he's saying things he does believe?  Is that what makes him a bad motivational speaker?  The fact that he can't even come up with a pitch he believes?

Or is it that the people in the audience have no potential, and the "lie" is external to whatever Pinocchio believes, so these people are exposed as failures in life even if Pinocchio doesn't think they are?

Or are they saying that all motivational speakers are liars and Pinocchio can't do a job that requires lying?

And also, was this his first time doing it?  If not, why continue this endeavor if your nose keeps growing?

Edited by janie jones
  • LOL 3
4 hours ago, ctlady said:

First:  The one where a woman wearing a tight, white skirt is is worried about it be visible through her clothes.  It shows her backside in the skirt at the end and....no visibility, which I find hard to believe.  Unless the skirt is lined, I would think even regular patterned underwear would show through white material, let along a puffy, crinkly, flower-bedecked bladder control one.

I don't get the need for an entire panty when a panty liner (or some Kleenex) would accomplish the same thing.  I suppose the things are biodegradable, but that takes time.  And we're running out of time.

And yes, that underwear would show, unless the skirt was lined. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

I don't get the need for an entire panty when a panty liner (or some Kleenex) would accomplish the same thing.  I suppose the things are biodegradable, but that takes time.  And we're running out of time.

And yes, that underwear would show, unless the skirt was lined. 

I stuff a little tp in my panties at night. We use the biodegradable kind. Works a treat.

• Love 2

The ad where the daughter has locked herself in her room and the dad is sitting outside on the floor bugs on so many levels.   Apparently the daughter was pissed about something so the dad writes 'I am so so so so............sorry' on an entire roll of TP and passes it under the door.   I don't care how thick the TP is, it's not that easy to write on much less so neatly.   And I really hate ads where parents grovel to their kids.   

• Love 12
9 hours ago, janie jones said:

The motivational speaker one is poorly conceived, in my mind, though I could be overthinking it.  It's not clear to me what they are saying is the reason he's a bad motivational speaker.  His nose is growing because he doesn't believe the things he's saying.  So can't he just change his spiel so that he's saying things he does believe?  Is that what makes him a bad motivational speaker?  The fact that he can't even come up with a pitch he believes?

Or is it that the people in the audience have no potential, and the "lie" is external to whatever Pinocchio believes, so these people are exposed as failures in life even if Pinocchio doesn't think they are?

Or are they saying that all motivational speakers are liars and Pinocchio can't do a job that requires lying?

And also, was this his first time doing it?  If not, why continue this endeavor if your nose keeps growing?

My question is why even hire Pnocchio in the first place for that kind of job if you know that's what happens when he lies :p? 

• LOL 6
14 hours ago, ctlady said:

Unless the skirt is lined, I would think even regular patterned underwear would show through white material, let along a puffy, crinkly, flower-bedecked bladder control one.

When my mom & I took that Panama Canal cruise in 92, there was an officer on the ship who wore navy blue & white vertically striped undies...that were obviously visible. During the life boat drill, I stepped out of line to get a good look at what the ladies behind me were giggling about. The Steward in charge of our lifeboat, Franz, told me to get back into line. I went up to him & whispered to him that somebody needs to tell that guy not to wear those underpants with his whites. I got a stern look from Franz and then he chuckled & told me to get back into line.  The next week, I saw the officer again and he was STILL wearing those underpants.  I guess Franz didn't think it was up to him to tell the dude about his underwear choices.

• LOL 11
11 hours ago, Maverick said:

The ad where the daughter has locked herself in her room and the dad is sitting outside on the floor bugs on so many levels.   Apparently the daughter was pissed about something so the dad writes 'I am so so so so............sorry' on an entire roll of TP and passes it under the door.   I don't care how thick the TP is, it's not that easy to write on much less so neatly.   And I really hate ads where parents grovel to their kids.   

To say nothing of how it wasted perfectly good TP that could have been used for its intended purpose in another few hours! 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Annber03 said:

My question is why even hire Pnocchio in the first place for that kind of job if you know that's what happens when he lies :p? 

I don't think he was hired by anyone.  He just rented the conference room to promote whatever he was selling. 

• Love 6
On 2/20/2020 at 4:48 PM, icemiser69 said:

The Banana should have spent less time trying to bend at the waist, and more time hiding himself behind the asparagus.  In the most recent commercial, the Banana is missing.  Rest in Peace Banana, you will be missed.🍌😢

That banana probably ruptured his peel open and died after trying to do situps without a waist.  

On 2/21/2020 at 11:12 AM, njbchlover said:

I remember when Reese's candy was created by someone holding a chocolate bar bumping into someone holding an open jar of peanut butter!  

On 2/22/2020 at 12:53 PM, ctlady said:

Second: the one picturing a sweaty, frizzy-haired overweight woman taking an exercise class juxtaposed with a tall, slim, skinny-jean wearing young mother playing with her toddler.  Maybe I'm nitpicking and I'm not someone whose easily offended, but for some reason the choices they used to portray the two women bother me.  Yeah - I am nitpicking.

The one that annoys me is the bride and groom doing a "viral dance" b/c I hate when people try to make that shit happen. Also, I am convinced David Tenneson's or Joel McHale is the groom but I can't get a good enough look at him to be sure.

• Love 2

i hate the mayhem commercials with tina fey.  i hate the prescription commercial with martin sheen. yelling about how expensive it is. he has plenty of money

tom selleck and joe namath advertising Medicaid and reverse mortages. they have nothing to worry about.

• Love 9
24 minutes ago, lorj said:

i hate the mayhem commercials with tina fey.  i hate the prescription commercial with martin sheen. yelling about how expensive it is. he has plenty of money

tom selleck and joe namath advertising Medicaid and reverse mortages. they have nothing to worry about.

Except getting dentures that fit properly. They sound like they have marbles in their mouths. Same with Ditka.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

I saw a new Chobani Flip commercial over the weekend that annoyed the crap out of me.  The premise is laughable at best where a person is eating a Chobani flip as a healthy alternative to sugary snacks and a snack demon or devil is tempting them to eat a more unhealthy snack and the demon fails.  Not the greatest premise, but this commercial is rage inducing.  The person eating the yogurt is a college student studying at night at the library.  The snack demon somehow conjures up some doughnuts and sugary cereal to temp the student from one of his books.  No idea if that is his textbook or a library book.  The student shrugs off the offending snacks by wiping them off of his book onto the table.  Now, I know 21st century libraries are not what they used to be.  I work in a public library.  We do turn a blind eye to casual drinks and snacks as long as the patron does not leave a mess.  But, once you pull out food or drink that looks like it will damage our books, we do step in.  We will not turn a blind eye to you pulling out a cup of yogurt to eat while studying especially if you are using a library book.  I just want to know who is cleaning up the mess left in the library.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I remember when Reese's candy was created by someone holding a chocolate bar bumping into someone holding an open jar of peanut butter!  

"You got chocolate on my peanut butter!"

"You got peanut butter on my chocolate!"

• LOL 7
  • Love 13
On 2/22/2020 at 12:53 PM, ctlady said:

If your underwear is showing through your tight white skirt, I don’t care if it’s Depends or Victoria’s Secret, you need a lining in the skirt. Or a slip, if any of you young’uns have heard of those. 

• Love 13
On 2/22/2020 at 2:08 PM, icemiser69 said:

I know people who have that and they have been having DVR issues.  Then they have to call long distance to get a hold of someone.  Ridiculous.

Not to discount your actual complaint, but is there anyone who still has a phone plan where it matters whether a number is long distance? If so, you need to contact your carrier and renegotiate immediately!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I generally don't mind the Lil' Sweet ads, but there is one that bugs me.  A woman has finished painting a room when he appears leaving a Lil' Sweet sized blank spot on the wall and then he goes off riding on the roller leaving a paint trail behind him.  So, not only does this woman have to repaint a wall but also has to clean paint off of her (wood) floor.

• Love 2

There's a new dish liquid that's in a spray bottle (Dawn I think), and the woman just sprays the greasy pan and then wipes and is finished. Which seems pretty neat. But . . . why is this woman doing dishes by hand, in the sink? She appears to be in a good-sized, modern-looking kitchen, and I don't know of anyone with a newer kitchen that doesn't have a dishwasher. Nor is that the only thing she had to clean . . . she's doing all her dishes by hand. 

• Love 1