Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I find Facebook to be useful for getting info and resources. 4 years ago we had a blizzard that dropped 3 feet of snow. My husband was in Alabama and I couldn't shovel the driveway. I got on our neighborhood group and said I wanted to hire someone to shovel the driveway. Within an hour a neighbor was there with his snow blower and another was there with a shovel. It was such a big help. I follow my favorite consignment store that has a lot of turnover. They post pictures, between 35-40, of new inventory every week. I follow a site that tells of accidents/closures on local roads. I follow our marina which posts updates. And of course family and friends.

We have a neighborhood email chain for stuff like that.

• Love 1
On 3/4/2020 at 9:02 AM, Ubiquitous said:

I hate that commercial too. Am I the last person to realize Fiji Water probably doesn't come from the Fiji Islands?

Unfortunately it does come from Fiji. Water. Shipped halfway 'round the world.

• Useful 2

I joined FB as my cat in order to sell cat toys. Garnered a bunch of feline friends, some human ones and sold a few toys, but then Chewy started selling a similar product at one-third the price, so I dissolved the cat toy business. NOW I've got a bunch of cat friends I really enjoy connecting with.  The family "friends" - not so much. It's distressing to find out from their posts just HOW far we differ politically.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I was just pointing out a few examples of why FB works for me.

And that is great! I don't like a herd mentality. Which ironically I think Facebook is trying to promote. One doesn't have to like everything Facebook is about to enjoy using it.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I find Facebook to be useful for getting info and resources. 4 years ago we had a blizzard that dropped 3 feet of snow. My husband was in Alabama and I couldn't shovel the driveway. I got on our neighborhood group and said I wanted to hire someone to shovel the driveway. Within an hour a neighbor was there with his snow blower and another was there with a shovel. It was such a big help. I follow my favorite consignment store that has a lot of turnover. They post pictures, between 35-40, of new inventory every week. I follow a site that tells of accidents/closures on local roads. I follow our marina which posts updates. And of course family and friends.

I've found that too. Sure its nice to see pictures from family but I so rarely log in that its more like every several months I go in and check family pages. I just never remember it until months pass by. The only thing that's been real useful is disasters and bad snowstorms. There's been a couple wildfires and Facebook was updating evacuations and closings faster then the news was. Same with school and businesses closings during bad storms.

• Love 1
On March 7, 2020 at 8:59 AM, Ashforth said:

I loathe Facebook and have an account only because I need one for work and also the occasional internet stalking looking up old friends. The ad in question is both obnoxious and idiotic. Who is it supposed to appeal to? Obnoxious idiots? Well done, Facebook. 🙄

I actually went to the Favorite Commercials thread expecting to find this... I love this commercial! And I love FB and Instagram.  I don't post anything, but follow many groups relative to my interests...

• Love 2

The battery commercial with the woman sinking into the couch and the guy covering himself in toothpaste -- what's the point?  They're not offering two different kinds of battery -- one for long-life and one for energy.  And what does sinking into a couch and slathering toothpaste represent anyway?

• Love 8

The commercial that is annoying me right now is the one for Sheba cat food where her kid yells that he hurt himself and she yells to get a bandaid and he says, yeah, but he's bleeding and her response is to get 2 bandaids……….because she is just soooo involved in playing with her cat.

• Love 8

Remember that obnoxious commercial with women trimming their bushes? Well. There's a male version for a shaver called "Lawnmower " that's just as obnoxious. 

On 3/6/2020 at 12:37 PM, mmecorday said:

Candace Cameron Bure talking to Charlie the Tuna like he's the Great Gazoo on the red carpet. "No time to eat, Charlie!" Then he gives her tuna in pouch, which she eats during the awards ceremony. The stupid is strong with this ad.

I've asked before, but don't those awards events like that one she's attending usually serve refreshments? 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Remember that obnoxious commercial with women trimming their bushes? Well. There's a male version for a shaver called "Lawnmower " that's just as obnoxious. 

I've asked before, but don't those awards events like that one she's attending usually serve refreshments? 

Not to seat fillers like her.

• LOL 13
1 hour ago, Ubiquitous said:

The only awards show that does is the Golden Globes. The other major awards shows you either eat before or waaaaaaaay later at the afterparties. 

re the Matthew McConaughey ad where he's ice fishing and whistling the Andy Griffith theme, the song is titled "The Fishing Hole," and there are lyrics. 

Well now, take down your fishing pole
And meet me at the fishing hole
We may not get a bite all day
But don't you rush away
What a great place to rest your bones
And mighty fine for skipping stones
You'll feel fresh as a lemonade a-setting in the shade

Whether it's hot, whether it's cool
Oh what a spot for whistling like a fool

What a fine day to take a stroll and wind up at the fishing hole
I can't think of a better way to pass the time of day

We'll have no need to call the roll
When we get to the fishing hole
They'll be you, me, and old dog, trey to do the time away
If we don't hook a perch or bass
We'll cool our toes in dewy grass
Or else pull up a weed to chaw
And maybe sit and jaw

Hanging around, taking our ease
Watching that hound a scratching at his fleas

I'm gonna take down my fishing pole
And meet you at the fishing hole
I can't think of a better way
To pass the time of day.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, theatremouse said:

The only awards show that does is the Golden Globes. The other major awards shows you either eat before or waaaaaaaay later at the afterparties. 

I could see maybe slipping some crackers in your purse to stave off the hunger, but smelly tuna?  

• Love 7

I just saw a new one today that I hope won't become a constant airing.  It was for some random brand of flavored water.  (I think it was Hint Water?) Two guys have just finished a pie eating contest and their faces are completely covered in pie filling.  They are discussing the water and how the fruit flavor is better than the pie filling fruit flavor.  Suddenly one guy takes a huge long lick on the other guy's face.  Totally gross.  I know they are going for the shock factor, but it's so disgusting and odd that I thought it might have been one of those car insurance commercials in disguise.  Maybe it was.  Has anyone seen this?

On 3/8/2020 at 11:59 AM, TheWalkinDude said:

Huge hatred for a Lays potato chip commercial. I think it’s dill pickle flavor, but it ends with this couple saying “Mmhm” “Mmhmm” “Mmhm” for approximately 14 hours...

The tax company where everybody chants "Free Free Free" through the whole ad are annoying as heck.

• Love 12

So now we have another Emgality Mom who, thanks to the medication, has unlimited time to dress in elaborate costumes and frolic for hours with her friendless little daughter, including dressing the dog in a dragon (dinosaur?)outfit.

Why do you want to make me dislike the people in your ads, Emgality? Why do you want to do that to an innocent dog?

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

So now we have another Emgality Mom who, thanks to the medication, has unlimited time to dress in elaborate costumes and frolic for hours with her friendless little daughter, including dressing the dog in a dragon (dinosaur?)outfit.

Because they are on house quarantine for 2 weeks from coming into contact with someone with the novel coronavirus? 😉🙁

• LOL 12

You know how sometimes you can see a commercial and for reasons out of your control, your reaction to it is just "get this off my screen now"?

For me, it's the return of the obnoxious old lady trying to make an appointment with her podiatrist and every time he gives her a date, she smugly says no because she has a Mandarin lesson or a robotics thing. Then she shows up for her doctor's appointment in head to toe fishing gear. It's nice that her time is occupied but she just comes across so such an arrogant and smug. Get over yourself, lady. 

Edited by configdotsys
  • LOL 2
  • Love 11

This brings up another point.  What the heck is vegan foundation?  Is foundation normally made of meat or dairy?    I refuse to buy Cover Girl products.  Their ads are ridiculous and they only recently stopped animal testing.

The copy with that commercial cracks me up.  While there are a few pigments used in cosmetics that are sourced from animals like carmine, they usually aren't used in foundation.  The trend in cosmetics is vegan so of course CoverGirl is touting this as being vegan.  They are also touting this foundation being sulfate free.  Sulfates are not found in foundation.  But, sulfates are now "bad" so they add that to make their product look "good."  

Some foundations contain lanolin, silk derivatives, or gelatin, none of which are vegan. And/or lecithin, glycerin, and hyaluronic acid, all of which are only sometimes nonvegan. For a cosmetic or whatever to be 100% vegan, it has to have no animal-derived ingredients, and none of those ingredients can have been individually tested on animals. And, of course, the finished product can't be either. Also, the product can't be sold in mainland China (though it can be made there). 

As far as calling things that are not from a mammal "milk," I find it so baffling that anyone cares. It's just the dairy industry trying to protect itself from big, bad herbivores. But there are non-mammal definitions of "milk" in the dictionary and have been as long as I can remember. I would think they'd be more upset by "non-dairy" if it's just a matter of semantics.

You know how sometimes you can see a commercial and for reasons out of your control, your reaction to it is just "get this off my screen now"?

Hahahhahaaa, yes! Usually it's because of closeups of some kind of breakfast sandwich that has that weird flat-and-folded egg format! That or eggs serving as a hideous glue that holds together all kinds of sticking-out peppers and onions. Ugh.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

As far as calling things that are not from a mammal "milk," I find it so baffling that anyone cares. It's just the dairy industry trying to protect itself from big, bad herbivores. But there are non-mammal definitions of "milk" in the dictionary and have been as long as I can remember.

You are correct. Coconut milk has been called that as long as there have been coconuts. It's just a panic response from the dairy lobby to keep those delicious consumer dollars out the hands of evil veggie vendors.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

How about that dawgforsaken Grubhub commercial where they ring a doorbell over and over and over?  Hard-of-hearing Mr. pig keeps asking if anyone's at the door while our dog goes crazy barking.

I just go crazy.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, configdotsys said:

For me, it's the return of the obnoxious old lady trying to make an appointment with her podiatrist and every time he gives her a date, she smugly says no because she has a Mandarin lesson or a robotics thing. Then she shows up for her doctor's appointment in head to toe fishing gear. It's nice that her time is occupied but she just comes across so such an arrogant and smug. Get over yourself, lady. 

yeah, why have the insurance guy keep trying to make appointments for you  - just call and do it yourself with your appointment book in hand

• Love 4
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Hahahhahaaa, yes! Usually it's because of closeups of some kind of breakfast sandwich that has that weird flat-and-folded egg format! That or eggs serving as a hideous glue that holds together all kinds of sticking-out peppers and onions. Ugh.

Aaaahhh the powdered eggs that one usually finds on "free" breakfast buffets at mid-level hotels (or maybe reconstituted powdered eggs poured from a carton). Not eggs by any stretch. I'm not hating on the breakfast buffets, btw, they usually have some pretty good options and I've been known to eat the "feggs" ("fake eggs"). Wendy's is actually running ads about using real eggs for its breakfast sandwiches.

In other gag-inducing news, the Texas Dept of Health and Human Services is running a nauseating ad that features various people in a grocery store sneezing on produce, sneezing into their hands and then eating samples, roaming the store with snot running out of their noses, and more. FUCK YOU, people who made this ad! 

• Love 4
On 2/20/2020 at 12:25 PM, peacheslatour said:

OMG, Believe. When we were in France in '99 you could not go anywhere without hearing that song blasting. Bleh, I'll always love Cher but that is a song I never need to hear again.

For me and my ex, it was Las Vegas, summer of 1999.  Damn song was playing everywhere, even in the taxis.

• LOL 1

The commercial with the woman petting her cat and opening up some wet cat food and her daughter yells in the background, “mom I fell” and some about a bandaid and the mom replies back grab 2 I don’t make any sense of this commercial since it came out. I’ve changed the station each time it comes up so I don’t even know what is said in it anymore lol but I will never understand the meaning behind it 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Dbrothers said:

The commercial with the woman petting her cat and opening up some wet cat food and her daughter yells in the background, “mom I fell” and some about a bandaid and the mom replies back grab 2 I don’t make any sense of this commercial since it came out. I’ve changed the station each time it comes up so I don’t even know what is said in it anymore lol but I will never understand the meaning behind it 

I guess it means Mommy loves Kitty. Kid is on her own.

• LOL 6
12 hours ago, Dbrothers said:

I just heard that for the first time this past weekend; I was installing curtain rods, so didn't see what it was advertising, just heard a mom responding to her kid's pronouncement "I fell" with "Okay, there are bandages in the cabinet" and then to "I'm bleeding" with "Grab two."  Her casual delivery on both made me laugh.

• Love 5

That kid sounded rather young, so another reason why the mother was callous is letting her young kid have access to the medicine cabinet in the first place.   Suppose the kid decides to try, say, a prescription drug in the cabinet?  That's what kids do.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I'm not understanding why the woman in the Target commercial chose to call her product line The Honey Pot. The first thing I think of when I hear that term is that's what an espionage trap to get information out of someone through sex is called! Perhaps I'm in the minority of knowing about that negative connotation but there had to be at least a couple of people in her life who knew and would have brought it up. "Have you thought about calling it The Honey Jar?" The ad just squicks me out every time she says it.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11

What the hell is wrong with people? From NBC News:

A black business owner whose company was flooded with racist reviews after being featured in a Target ad said she's grateful for the controversy and the growth it offered her company.

Beatrice Dixon, who started The Honey Pot Company in 2012, told Essence on Tuesday that she's not upset after dozens of racist reviews were posted about her feminine hygiene products. The negative reviews were posted Monday in response to Dixon's comments in a Target ad in which she said she hoped her success could pave the way for black girls.

"It's all good," Dixon said.

• Useful 2
On 3/9/2020 at 1:41 PM, BigBingerBro said:

I just saw a new one today that I hope won't become a constant airing.  It was for some random brand of flavored water.  (I think it was Hint Water?) Two guys have just finished a pie eating contest and their faces are completely covered in pie filling.  They are discussing the water and how the fruit flavor is better than the pie filling fruit flavor.  Suddenly one guy takes a huge long lick on the other guy's face.  Totally gross.  I know they are going for the shock factor, but it's so disgusting and odd that I thought it might have been one of those car insurance commercials in disguise.  Maybe it was.  Has anyone seen this?

Haven't seen that commercial, but I have tried Hint water. Gross. Way too much fruit flavor. It's definitely NOT a hint.

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 8:27 AM, Ubiquitous said:

As if E*Trade's wealth envy ad campaign wasn't bad enough, they now are trying to make me jealous of wealthy dogs. 😬

Bow wow wow, yippy yo, yippy yay!

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 12:25 PM, cinsays said:

The commercial that is annoying me right now is the one for Sheba cat food where her kid yells that he hurt himself and she yells to get a bandaid and he says, yeah, but he's bleeding and her response is to get 2 bandaids……….because she is just soooo involved in playing with her cat.

I love that one myself.

• Love 6
On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 5:43 PM, Ubiquitous said:

I find the commercials for that one amusing as well.

On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 9:01 PM, Ashforth said:

Why do you want to make me dislike the people in your ads, Emgality? Why do you want to do that to an innocent dog?

I think the dog/dragon is cute.  I don't mind the commercial, but then, I didn't mind the other one either.

• Love 2
On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 2:53 PM, TattleTeeny said:

As far as calling things that are not from a mammal "milk," I find it so baffling that anyone cares. It's just the dairy industry trying to protect itself from big, bad herbivores. But there are non-mammal definitions of "milk" in the dictionary and have been as long as I can remember. I would think they'd be more upset by "non-dairy" if it's just a matter of semantics

I just find it annoying as hell to label something that's basic nuts or soybeans soaked in water as "milk".  It's not milk.  And both taste terrible to me.

2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

That kid sounded rather young, so another reason why the mother was callous is letting her young kid have access to the medicine cabinet in the first place.   Suppose the kid decides to try, say, a prescription drug in the cabinet?  That's what kids do.

Eh, the kid didn't sound that young to me.  When my brother and I were kids, mom didn't stop everything to get one of us a band aid for something minor like in that commercial.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Dbrothers said:

It's one of a series of commercials where a cat has its "owner" mesmerized into feeding it Sheba cat food.  A previous one featured a man who stopped in the middle of stripping for his girlfriend because the cat wanted fed.

1 hour ago, Scout Finch said:

I'm not understanding why the woman in the Target commercial chose to call her product line The Honey Pot. The first thing I think of when I hear that term is that's what an espionage trap to get information out of someone through sex is called! Perhaps I'm in the minority of knowing about that negative connotation but there had to be at least a couple of people in her life who knew and would have brought it up. "Have you thought about calling it The Honey Jar?" The ad just squicks me out every time she says it.

I've seen "honey pot" used as a euphemism for female genitalia hundreds of times in Georgian and Victorian erotica.  Given that at least some of her products are for feminine hygiene, I find it weirdly appropriate.

I think you're thinking of "honey trap".  At least, that's the term I've heard.

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

A black business owner whose company was flooded with racist reviews after being featured in a Target ad said she's grateful for the controversy and the growth it offered her company.

Beatrice Dixon, who started The Honey Pot Company in 2012, told Essence on Tuesday that she's not upset after dozens of racist reviews were posted about her feminine hygiene products. The negative reviews were posted Monday in response to Dixon's comments in a Target ad in which she said she hoped her success could pave the way for black girls.

People suck.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I just learned about all that racist crap when I went to look at the company's Facebook page. Here I've been completely oblivious to it and was just annoyed by the name. I'm become more aware of what white privilege means and that even though I think I'm anti-racist, there are so many everyday situations that benefit me that I am completely unaware of (if I were also a middle/upper class Christian male, those would be even more plentiful). It doesn't take a fucking thing away from us for black girls to succeed. And I wouldn't care if it did.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

Not Winnie the Pooh?  His great love was for honey pots.

• LOL 9
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Eh, the kid didn't sound that young to me.  When my brother and I were kids, mom didn't stop everything to get one of us a band aid for something minor like in that commercial.

But the mother didn't know if it was "minor" because she didn't even bother to look.

The one for, I believe, some animal flea medication that goes "bloop bloop" endlessly.  I'm surprised I haven't injured myself leaping for the remote.  It's like Chinese water torture.  (Someone please let me know if that phrase is no longer politically correct.)

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Yep, that's why hearing it made me laugh -- there's no yelp, crash, or anything like that, and the kid, who does not sound particularly young and has no discernible distress in his voice, just calls out for Mom.  She asks, "Yeah?" and he says, "I fell."  I think her "okay" is a pitch-perfect response, and it just gets funnier from there. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't get it.  What bushes?

They're standing, trimming topiaries at crotch level into a landing strip, a heart, and something else - the bushes are stand-ins for their "bushes" (pubic hair).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

He was conscious and not screaming.  Minor.

And articulate.  Minor.

Half of parenting is figuring out when not to respond.  Plus, she was encouraging the kid to solve his/her own problem!  We should be applauding her.  I still don't understand what it has to do with cat food.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

He was conscious and not screaming.  Minor.

Yeah, and I guess the fact that there was no blood on the floor made it ok, too.  Minor.  

I still say she was a lazy ass heifer.

• Love 3