Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

weird. i wonder why they do that.

Yes it is and I have no idea why. The first time we assumed it was just a fluke. But nope every time. Even when our neighbor gave us her leftover Dominos pizza it had flour on the bottom of the pizza. Complaining to management did nothing. 

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Yes it is and I have no idea why. The first time we assumed it was just a fluke. But nope every time. Even when our neighbor gave us her leftover Dominos pizza it had flour on the bottom of the pizza. Complaining to management did nothing. 

they obviously don't know how to make proper pizza. that's just bizarre.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Nope, its flour. Uncooked, white flour that always at the bottom of any pizza we order from Dominos. 

That is weird.  I don't order from Dominos very often because there are a surfeit of better pizza places near me, but I've never had that happen on those occasions when Dominos is the only place open.

Maybe they're putting down flour when they shape the crust to keep it from sticking and then not making sure they shake it all off?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

My brother drives for a pizza company.  He says they try to check the orders, but when they're really busy, there isn't usually time.  Because people want their food fast and don't want hear about why it isn't at their door when they think it should be.  A lot of times a driver will have multiple orders for one trip - all stacked on top of each other, so checking the bottom orders before leaving the store isn't always an option.

I used to deliver pizza and the smart way to do this was to keep a whole bunch of the extra shit in your car. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, kariyaki said:

I used to deliver pizza and the smart way to do this was to keep a whole bunch of the extra shit in your car. 

Depends on the company.  One place he worked was so parsimonious about sauces, etc., they counted them every night and god forbid the numbers didn't match up with orders.  Because yes, that is the easiest way to do it.

Anyway, on topic: those Dominos commercials are misleading and stupid.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Maybe they're putting down flour when they shape the crust to keep it from sticking and then not making sure they shake it all off?

That makes the most sense although why their not shaking it off I don't know. My family can't be the only one getting it. We can't have been the only ones who complained. We order different times the second time six months after the first one and next one a few years later. The last time was a year ago when our neighbor gave us her leftovers. Still had flour all over the bottom. How does it keep happening? Wouldn't they have fixed that problem at some point? We've wondered if with that commercial if we ordered a pizza and sent it back would they finally make it right? Would we finally get a pizza without flour at the bottom? Not that we'll try it. Luckily there's other good pizzas in town. Although even if there wasn't we'd probably go frozen pizza rather then Dominos. Its hard to look at any Dominos commercial and not think of yum a mouth full of flour. 

• Love 1

The IKEA winter sale ad pushes multiple "Arrgh!" buttons for me. It's the one where a family of four rides the escalator up to the showroom floor, fans out in front of it, and is so mesmerized by all the home decor on sale that all they can do is simultaneously spew every internet acronym ever invented.

First of all, they're blocking the damn escalator so no one coming up behind them can get off. I think they should all be slow roasted in gravy for that alone. Then for what feels like an eternity they babble while the camera focuses on each mouth in extreme closeup.

I love IKEA stuff but this commercial makes me want them all to DIAF. (Not really, but I couldn't resist.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 12/20/2019 at 1:40 PM, Colleenna said:

Oh FFS. I don't want to see  someone  sitting on the  head, not even  my beloved. 

Yes, we all pee and poop. Doesn't mean I  want to see  it. What's  next, watching a  woman  insert a tampon (or worse yet, removing  one?)

The visual is bad enough.  But made worse by him saying he’s dumping his cargo. Next one someone will brag about pinching a loaf, and then some other guy countering with dropping a deuce, but no this other guy out does both of them with his commentary about his morning stink bomb.

I have worked places where guys brag about their nasty morning poop.  Thanks for sharing! No wonder you’re single!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

The commercials I just can't stand is anything are the poop spray ones.

However, I really loathe the luxury SUV commercial where the woman drives up to her home, and her family is destroying the house.   Instead of doing something about the destruction, she goes outside, climbs back in her SUV, and puts on music, and reclines the seat.  How wimpy can you get?  I hope the sequel is showing the woman kicking them all out of her house, and telling them she's suing them all for damages. 

I hate the Plexaderm skin tightening ads so much. 

I also loathe the insurance for bad driver ads, the anyone can get senior insurance (fine print for payouts is everything).     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

and oboes wood be right out.

I tried for a bassoon comeback and failed my serably.

topic?  While I was just sitting here reading this that damn “we’re expediting this order” lady violated my space. 

I hated Domino’s for a long time but somewhere along the line it became edible. It’s no artisan pizza but when I’m desperate I’ll hit Dominos before Pizza Hut any day.

• Love 2
On 12/27/2019 at 12:46 PM, andromeda331 said:

There's barely any sauce, cheese or toppings and some how every single time there's always a bunch of uncooked flour on the bottom of the crust. Nothing like biting into a bunch of uncooked flour. 

It's been a long time since I've had Domino's, but I definitely remember the flour/crust thing, and it happened nearly every time we ordered from there.  I never thought anything of it, though.  I just figured they dusted some flour on the bottom of the box so the pizza wouldn't stick.

That said, Domino's gives me stomachaches I don't eat it.  Same with Pizza Hut.  Shame, because I'm OK with eating cheap.

• Useful 1

Let's face it, any ad that shows employees happily responding to customer complaints (particularly as a result of some sort of head office initiative) is complete and utter BS.  No pizza place is "expediting" free pizza deliveries to correct mistakes.  I'm a cynical old bastard, lol.  I get very annoyed when employees in ads are shown to have a level of commitment and enthusiasm that is totally out of whack in relation to the actual importance of what they are doing.  Pizza shops aren't hospital emergency rooms.  The A&W dude bugs the hell out of me.  

Here's a tiny little annoyance I just saw in an ad for those Endy mattresses.  There's a shot of someone unpacking one of the tightly-rolled and compressed matts from it's plastic wrap...by slicing the wrap with a utility blade.  lol.  Come on...I'm pretty sure that ain't the recommended method.  

Oh, and am I the only one who finds these recent Shriner's ads featuring various errr..."differently-abled" (?) kids appealing for donations so manipulative they border on evil?  

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

Let's face it, any ad that shows employees happily responding to customer complaints (particularly as a result of some sort of head office initiative) is complete and utter BS.  No pizza place is "expediting" free pizza deliveries to correct mistakes.  I'm a cynical old bastard, lol.  I get very annoyed when employees in ads are shown to have a level of commitment and enthusiasm that is totally out of whack in relation to the actual importance of what they are doing.  Pizza shops aren't hospital emergency rooms. .

My family was just talking about those ads the other night and we said pretty much the same thing :p. Yeah, usually if you screw up with a customer, nobody responds that happily and cheerfully about it. More likely than not you're getting chewed out by your boss/the higher ups/the customers along the way. 

There can be individuals within a company who can resolve customer issues in a pleasant and genuinely helpful manner, sure. But I agree that a lot of these kinds of commercials come off as, "Shit, we'd better put on a happy front so we don't have cranky people calling us." :p. 

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:39 AM, CoderLady said:

The IKEA winter sale ad pushes multiple "Arrgh!" buttons for me. It's the one where a family of four rides the escalator up to the showroom floor, fans out in front of it, and is so mesmerized by all the home decor on sale that all they can do is simultaneously spew every internet acronym ever invented.

First of all, they're blocking the damn escalator so no one coming up behind them can get off. I think they should all be slow roasted in gravy for that alone. Then for what feels like an eternity they babble while the camera focuses on each mouth in extreme closeup.

I love IKEA stuff but this commercial makes me want them all to DIAF. (Not really, but I couldn't resist.)

I'm with you on the commercial, but I do find the grandfather's comment about IKEA having meatballs amusing.

• LOL 7

Oh, and am I the only one who finds these recent Shriner's ads featuring various errr..."differently-abled" (?) kids appealing for donations so manipulative they border on evil?  

The Shriner's ads never bothered me. It's those ASPCA ads that I find horribly manipulative. I wish my monthly donation would wipe out animal abuse and neglect but unfortunately human beings keep finding ways to be awful.

Speaking of awful, I have had enough of those Food Network app ads! They are on constantly!

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

The Shriner's ads never bothered me. It's those ASPCA ads that I find horribly manipulative. I wish my monthly donation would wipe out animal abuse and neglect but unfortunately human beings keep finding ways to be awful.

Speaking of awful, I have had enough of those Food Network app ads! They are on constantly!

Is it wrong of me that the St. Jude's/Shriner commercials don't bother me, but the ASPCA ones have me diving for the remote because I can't change the channel fast enough?  I was trying to watch some of the Doctor Who marathon on BBC America this weekend, and I kept having to switch away.

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Is it wrong of me that the St. Jude's/Shriner commercials don't bother me, but the ASPCA ones have me diving for the remote because I can't change the channel fast enough?  I was trying to watch some of the Doctor Who marathon on BBC America this weekend, and I kept having to switch away.

it's the faces of the abused animals. the kids in the shriner's/st judes commercials are loved and well cared for.

• Love 19
On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:17 PM, shlbycindyk said:

I think it's sad that Folgers has come from this commercial to the one they're showing now.  This is one of my favorites.

My computer crashed each of the three times I tried to watch the video.  Is that the creepy commercial with the weird interaction between the brother and the sister?  I despise that commercial, but then, my family is more like the Griswold family at Christmastime.

Did you notice the family in the video doesn't lock their front door?  Peter walks in easily without seeming to have a key or a key chain in his right hand (presents in the other hand).  Plus, "Peter" seems to have accepted a ride with a stranger.  He didn't disarm an alarm system, either.  Don't these people watch ID?  (Just kidding.)

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

My problem with the ASPCA ads is the CGI falling snow put in for some of the shots. Faking me out only makes me less receptive to give them money. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

Let's face it, any ad that shows employees happily responding to customer complaints (particularly as a result of some sort of head office initiative) is complete and utter BS.  No pizza place is "expediting" free pizza deliveries to correct mistakes.  I'm a cynical old bastard, lol.  I get very annoyed when employees in ads are shown to have a level of commitment and enthusiasm that is totally out of whack in relation to the actual importance of what they are doing.  Pizza shops aren't hospital emergency rooms.  The A&W dude bugs the hell out of me. 

I just noticed yesterday that at least one of the people in that commercial is the franchise owner, not an employee.  It explains why they would care so much about their pride being harmed by errors.

5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

No, the hospital commercials show happy children who have received help; the ASPCA commercials show suffering animals who have not.

6 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Aw, I just started seeing those yesterday.  I like the one I saw!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

Aw, I just started seeing those yesterday.  I like the one I saw!

The Food Network app ads have been playing here constantly all month...and I do mean constantly. I wonder if they are going to not make recipes available on the website any more to force people to get the app. I certainly am not paying $29.99/mo or even a year for that!! They have beaten me over the head so hard for so long, I want nothing to do with it!

• Love 4

The Food Network app is free. You only have to pay if you want to do the live cooking sessions. Looked to me like they have free content/recipes on the app. I sincerely doubt they will stop posting recipes on their web site.

ETA: I just checked the app - they have tons of free recipes you can access.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

The Food Network app is free. You only have to pay if you want to do the live cooking sessions. Looked to me like they have free content/recipes on the app. I sincerely doubt they will stop posting recipes on their web site.

ETA: I just checked the app - they have tons of free recipes you can access.

I understand it is free for the  app, you just pay if you want the "lessons". My problem is that they have just pushed it too hard too long that it turned me off to it.

• Love 5
On 12/30/2019 at 8:45 PM, Gramto6 said:

I understand it is free for the  app, you just pay if you want the "lessons". My problem is that they have just pushed it too hard too long that it turned me off to it.

Plus the fact that it seems to heavily use 'personalities' who have been a bit obnoxious  IMO is somewhat of a turnoff so I can't say the ads have worked for me! 

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 3:58 PM, proserpina65 said:

That's what I think is the cause.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 8:42 AM, Zevious Zoquis said:

"Don't be a SOURPUSS!" :-D

But seriously, kid, what kinda of Shriner(?) donation campaign is that?

• Love 2

The commercial for the FoodNetwork app featuring Rachael Ray just creeps me out! That weird grin when she points her finger “You” “ME” “In the Kitchen”. Yuck, RR. Are you proposing a sex act or a recipe?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Shriner’s main spokeskid needs to spend time with a speech therapist. Rhotacism can’t be allowed to go on for so long, especially now that his voice has cracked and it’s no longer an endearing little kid speech impediment.

Speaking of squeaky voiced kids, the little girl in the Pediayte commercial who sees her diarrhea-afflicted father downing some Gatorade for babies and screeches, “Hey! That’s mine!” Her voice goes up higher than Sarah Brightman’s at the end of “Phantom of the Opera.” Her voice bores itself into my head every time that commercial airs.

Edited by Automne
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Automne said:

Shriner’s main spokeskid needs to spend time with a speech therapist. Rhotacism can’t be allowed to go on for so long, especially now that his voice has cracked and it’s no longer an endearing little kid speech impediment

Maye he has other problems.

• Love 3

Both Alec and Caleb have "Brittle Bone Disease."  https://www.webmd.com/children/brittle-bone-disease#1

It must be fairly severe in both, since they're in wheelchairs. Where I work, there's a woman with a kid who has it. She happens to be the boss' daughter, so the kid's been accompanying his mom to work since he was born. Now that he's six, he's finally going to school (and loving it.)  At one point, before they knew what the problem was, Family & Children's Services investigated mom, as the kid was *always* having broken bones. That's when they had him tested & discovered the problem.  He doesn't run much, absolutely cannot roughhouse with other boys, and at the end of the school day, a teacher walks him, by themselves so he doesn't get jostled, out to the car.  But in all other respects, he's almost a normal kid. I say "almost" because he already understands 4 different languages - so NOT normal!  LOL.

• Love 11

I know this was discussed a few pages back, but I just want to confirm:  If I take a trip on Celebrity Cruises they will give me all kinds of drugs, as indicated by their use of "White Rabbit" in their ads?

That's gotta be some trip, in both senses of the word.

• LOL 15
22 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I know this was discussed a few pages back, but I just want to confirm:  If I take a trip on Celebrity Cruises they will give me all kinds of drugs, as indicated by their use of "White Rabbit" in their ads?

That's gotta be some trip, in both senses of the word.

I just heard this yesterday and my jaw dropped.  What were they thinking?

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 1/2/2020 at 10:26 PM, Automne said:

Shriner’s main spokeskid needs to spend time with a speech therapist. Rhotacism can’t be allowed to go on for so long, especially now that his voice has cracked and it’s no longer an endearing little kid speech impediment.

Maybe I've seen way too many Shiner commercials over the past month, but it's quite obvious that they are milking the speech impediment for cuteness effect.  In nearly every commercial they have Alec talking about the "A doe able" blanket you receive as a supporter.  They must have plenty of stock footage of him saying different things too as his age tends to vary from quite young in some commercials to a teenager in others.  When Caleb was first introduced I thought he was saying his name was "Keeril".  The latest "boardroom" commercial where all the kids are acting like business executives is cute, but it goes on a bit long and becomes cringe-worthy when they try to make it mellow dramatic.  The other kids besides the two "stars" seemed to have had a lot of fun doing it.

Edited by BigBingerBro
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have no idea what this means.   I am not about to go to Urban Dictionary to find out.  That place has some really gross definitions of other words.

The song "White Rabbit" is openly about drugs and was inspired by an acid trip.

• Love 7

And a good song.

But, yes, it amuses me that cruise lines have now used "Lust for Life" and "White Rabbit" in their commercials, since you'd have to get me quite high before I'd think going on a cruise sounded like a good thing.

• LOL 12
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, Bastet said:

And a good song.

But, yes, it amuses me that cruise lines have now used "Lust for Life" and "White Rabbit" in their commercials, since you'd have to get me quite high before I'd think going on a cruise sounded like a good thing.

indeed, an excellent song. grace slick's voice had a hard, almost metallic quality to it back then. it's haunting.

• Love 13

I wanted to be Grace Slick back-in-the-day.  And it is off-putting to see White Rabbit used in a commercial for - of all things - a cruise line.  I guess it could have been worse; they could have used the song for...say...Peloton.  Which has now put out a commercial featuring a guy.  Singing along with the video while he pedals; his singing annoys his son and dog.  It isn't a bad commercial but it is on all the time.  All. The. Time.  I can feel my gums starting to ache when it comes on.  What is with Peloton and the annoying ads?  It's like they do it on purpose.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

I wanted to be Grace Slick back-in-the-day.  And it is off-putting to see White Rabbit used in a commercial for - of all things - a cruise line.  I guess it could have been worse; they could have used the song for...say...Peloton.  Which has now put out a commercial featuring a guy.  Singing along with the video while he pedals; his singing annoys his son and dog.  It isn't a bad commercial but it is on all the time.  All. The. Time.  I can feel my gums starting to ache when it comes on.  What is with Peloton and the annoying ads?  It's like they do it on purpose.

What commercials you see depend on what channels you watch. I don't remember seeing any Peloton commercials on the retro channels that have programming for old fogies like me. I spent most of the day watching PBS channels. No Peloton commercials there.😄😄

• Love 3

And he's singing along to the Fugees' "Ready Or Not," which is now an oldie seeing as it was released in 1996.

• LOL 4
5 hours ago, Kemper said:

guess it could have been worse; they could have used the song for...say...Peloton.  Which has now put out a commercial featuring a guy.  Singing along with the video while he pedals; his singing annoys his son and dog.  It isn't a bad commercial but it is on all the time.  All. The. Time.  I can feel my gums starting to ache when it comes on.  What is with Peloton and the annoying ads?  It's like they do it on purpose.

I was just coming to complain about this one. I guess that now they can't show the self absorbed vlogger because that was aimed at the Christmas market, and they know people make fun of the instructors screaming at the riders and the riders in front of curtainless windows with amazing views and they don't have an alternate ad ready but I'm kind of impressed that he sings while peddling so fast and hard. If it were me, I'd be "ready or not, huff, huff, huff, here I come, wheeze, huff, wheeze..." But also if it were me, I'd probably be listening to Sousa marches while I rode. In the ancient days when I had a treadmill, I found Sousa marches were the best things to walk to, they have a consistent rhythm and beat and were made for walking/marching. And I love Sousa marches, it probably means I'm weird. I also like a waltz by Strauss.

I knew I had another ad that annoys me I wanted to complain about. Limu Emu and Doug! I hate Doug, I'm not crazy about Limu, but I really hate Doug. And I'm not too fond of Mayhem either.

Edited by friendperidot
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7