Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I mentioned this in the wrong thread, but the Peloton ad reminds me of a Criminal Minds episode. She is the woman kidnapped by a Peloton salesman and to please him and stay alive, she has to use and vlog the Peloton. "I think our unsub is...a stationary bike enthusiast!" Really, the woman looks like she's terrified not to please.

Edited by BlackberryJam
Spelling
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

Apparently, the actor playing the husband is getting blowback by the SJWs outraged at this horrid, sexist ad.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/12/05/peloton-husband-actor-is-feeling-the-the-blowback.html

Meanwhile, the "Peloton Wife" already has a new commercial gig:

That is some A+ trolling! If only Peloton themselves had responded so quickly (I have no issue with thin people exercising; I just think it's a poorly executed ad). Ryan Reynolds has a stake in Aviation Gin; I wonder whose idea it was to do this ad and cast that actress.

Edited by Dejana
  • LOL 13
31 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

Apparently, the actor playing the husband is getting blowback by the those outraged at this horrid, sexist ad.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/12/05/peloton-husband-actor-is-feeling-the-the-blowback.html

And he poses an excellent question:

“As I continue to reflect on the commercial, I consider these thoughts: Why are people creating so many additional narratives to the story?” he asks.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

only mentioned the song Unchained Melody as it related to the KFC commercial. not the history of the song itself, because it would have been off topic.

Sorry. I misunderstood what you posted. I thought you meant the song was written for the movie. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, mmecorday said:

That's my problem with the ad, too. She doesn't seem too enthusiastic about the gift and seems obligated to use it since it is an expensive piece of equipment. When she's rushing home from work she says, "Five days in a row. Surprised? I am!" there's no sense of "I'm doing this for me," rather it's like she's trying to make her husband happy or keep her Instagram followers entertained.

This, totally.  Peloton is mining this commercial for all of this media attention, but does that really mean anything?  It doesn't change the fact that a $3,000 exercise machine is not a standard Christmas gift.  It would be considered a luxury for most middle-class people.  They can mention this commercial and these actors over and over, but it won't make me want to buy this thing.

And I also hate the doe eyes bullshit from the actress.  You are an adult woman, why don't you act like one?

• Love 11
On 12/6/2019 at 3:18 AM, icemiser69 said:

How many different frickin' Chia Pets are there?  I think I have seen two different commercials.

----------

Id?

IIRC, Chia Pets are only around for Christmas.  What does that company sell the rest of the year?

OK.  So what  are you supposed to do with Chia Pets?  Eat them as a garnish?  Maybe I should move this to the Food Network page.

• LOL 3

And now we have a competing narcissist exercise machine user - Buff Santa (yes, another one) on an Echelon bike Buff Santa

This Santa doesn't seem to have a Mrs. Claus waiting for him at home. He so swole he has to wear a strap-on belly. He brings home the cookies that kids left out for him, but dumps them in the garbage can. But just like the Peloton Victim, he has some idiot at Exercise Bike Central yelling at him 'Santa climbing that leader board!'

• Love 3

It's such a brilliant marketing tactic for Aviation Gin. This will end up being taught in marketing classes.

I like how they save showing her ringless left hand for the very end.

Also, shout-out to Mercedes from the second season of America's Next Top Model being in it!

• Love 8
On 12/6/2019 at 6:52 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Though I did get a kick out of the article noting that the woman in the ad is already fit and thin. Because.....uh huh. I want to know where ya'll were a few years ago when Alyssa Milano was shilling diet products.

That's the part of the criticism that killed me too.  I mean do these people actually watch commercials  The one I love to hate most is for some tooth whitening toothpaste where the toothy actress is bemoaning her yellow teeth - which are a brilliant white - as she deletes photos supposedly showing her yellow teeth.  I mean either cast someone who can talk without showing their teeth or don't tell us this person's teeth are yellow when we can SEE that they obviously are not.

• Love 10
27 minutes ago, PennyPlain said:

That's the part of the criticism that killed me too.  I mean do these people actually watch commercials  The one I love to hate most is for some tooth whitening toothpaste where the toothy actress is bemoaning her yellow teeth - which are a brilliant white - as she deletes photos supposedly showing her yellow teeth.  I mean either cast someone who can talk without showing their teeth or don't tell us this person's teeth are yellow when we can SEE that they obviously are not.

This reminds me or a toothpaste commercial where a kindergarten teacher is going through colors and she asks the students what color are her teeth. The kids' answers were beige, off-white, and mother of pearl, leading her to start using whatever brand of toothpaste they were advertising. Thing is, her teeth's original shade was fine. I find blindingly white teeth to look disturbingly unnatural *cough*Roberto Firmino*cough*.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Popples said:

This reminds me or a toothpaste commercial where a kindergarten teacher is going through colors and she asks the students what color are her teeth. The kids' answers were beige, off-white, and mother of pearl, leading her to start using whatever brand of toothpaste they were advertising. Thing is, her teeth's original shade was fine. I find blindingly white teeth to look disturbingly unnatural *cough*Roberto Firmino*cough*.

Ugh. Lorraine Pascale

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Black Knight said:

It's such a brilliant marketing tactic for Aviation Gin. This will end up being taught in marketing classes.

I like how they save showing her ringless left hand for the very end.

Also, shout-out to Mercedes from the second season of America's Next Top Model being in it!

It bothers me that they are playing into the idea that there was something wrong about the intent of the gift.

What they should do now is make a commercial with actor as himself, with buddies, lamenting that it was just an ad with no subtext.  That man has received so much grief.

• Love 5

Sorry if this had been mentioned before but I went back a few pages and didn't see it. I'm annoyed by the Walmart commercials with the man going to pick up things, and every time he comes back home he has to go back out and get more things. Like oh "my mom is this and that" and "I forgot" and " now we're hosting". I'm just thinking "go to the store yourself now and get whatever you need!" Why does he have to keep going out every time he gets back to the house? Like girl if you don't get yourself to the store at least once..... Lol 

• Love 8

The point of the Walmart commercial is that you can order what you want online, and they will have it ready for you when you show up - bringing it to your car. Shoot - my grocery store started doing the same thing. Order online - they have dedicated parking spaces for you, and you just sit in your car and they bring you your groceries, for a fee. I see people using it almost every day I shop, and I go to the store almost every day. What's the fun in that? On the other hand, my husband doesn't understand my enjoying grocery shopping.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

I'm annoyed by the Walmart commercials with the man going to pick up things, and every time he comes back home he has to go back out and get more things. Like oh "my mom is this and that" and "I forgot" and " now we're hosting". I'm just thinking "go to the store yourself now and get whatever you need!" Why does he have to keep going out every time he gets back to the house?

I haven't seen this one, but is he doing anything else?  If he's not cooking, cleaning, or otherwise setting things up at home, and his only role for the holiday meal is picking things up at the store, then that's just what happens, even if it happens more often than it should because of other people's forgetfulness.  There's no way someone who's cooking a holiday meal should have to also go out and shop for last-minute ingredients if some otherwise useless blob is available to do it, no matter why the last-minute need arose.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The point of the Walmart commercial is that you can order what you want online, and they will have it ready for you when you show up - bringing it to your car. Shoot - my grocery store started doing the same thing. Order online - they have dedicated parking spaces for you, and you just sit in your car and they bring you your groceries, for a fee. I see people using it almost every day I shop, and I go to the store almost every day. What's the fun in that? On the other hand, my husband doesn't understand my enjoying grocery shopping.

My local grocery store does it too here in the boonies. But I'm sorry,   I want to choose my own groceries. Even the few boxed/prepared few that I buy. I would never trust someone to choose fresh veggies/fruit or meat for me. I'm old, retired, but not to the point I can't shop for myself.

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Shoot - my grocery store started doing the same thing. Order online - they have dedicated parking spaces for you, and you just sit in your car and they bring you your groceries, for a fee.

What's kind of funny about this new service is that at many grocery stores, the customer is expected to bag their own groceries. How come they have personnel to pick out merchandise for online customers, and bring it out and put it in their cars, but no baggers for in-store customers?

Edited by sempervivum
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I haven't seen this one, but is he doing anything else?  If he's not cooking, cleaning, or otherwise setting things up at home, and his only role for the holiday meal is picking things up at the store, then that's just what happens, even if it happens more often than it should because of other people's forgetfulness.  There's no way someone who's cooking a holiday meal should have to also go out and shop for last-minute ingredients if some otherwise useless blob is available to do it, no matter why the last-minute need arose.

I totally understand that. But the wife isn't doing anything in the commercial yet except hanging around in the kitchen. Every time he gets back from picking up the groceries she just got off the phone with someone with new orders for him. Lol I'd say how about I do some stuff here and watch our kids while you drive back and forth? And who knows how far away the Walmart is even if he calls ahead to order stuff. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I'm curious how well that actually works. My family tried the grocery delivery a few years back when my mom and I both got sick to help Dad out since he was our caretaker and it didn't work. They kept substituting things no matter how many times we put no substitutions because all three of us had different food restrictions. They kept swapping out with weird stuff we've never order or with food we couldn't eat. Or they'd be out of stuff. Dad would end up having to go back to store to returned stuff and get the stuff we actually needed defeating the whole purpose. We quit after a few months. It really would have been nice if it worked. I guess the only difference is you can get out of the car and double check your order before leaving. Although if they mess up you still have to go back into the store to fix it. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I used Walmart grocery pick-up for almost a year due to physical limitations from an injury.  It was a lifesaver as my local Walmart is HUGE and the other supermarkets are usually super overcrowded.  I was VERY wary about having someone else choose my dairy and vegetables, but I never had anything that wasn't close to what I would have selected.  I'm pretty sure they are trained to make great selections as they want to reduce the amount of complaints and returns.  I'm back to shopping "in-store" but it's nice to know the option exists for pick-up or delivery in case I need it again.

I haven't actually seen any commercials for Walmart grocery pick-up lately...  Are there holidays ones and I just have not seen them?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 12/6/2019 at 8:03 PM, Katy M said:

And he poses an excellent question:

“As I continue to reflect on the commercial, I consider these thoughts: Why are people creating so many additional narratives to the story?” he asks.

Taking this to small talk...

On 12/5/2019 at 6:56 PM, Ohwell said:

I think the Peloton commercial would have been much better if the wife had simply exclaimed, "Ooooh, just what I wanted!"  Also, the actress has these big, sad-looking eyes which makes it seem like she's desperately trying so hard to please her husband.  I think another, more cheerful-looking actress would have also made the commercial better. 

I don't understand why she's "nervous" to use it the first time. 

Also, I never would have noticed that the lady from the gin commercial was the lady for the Peloton commercial if I hadn't heard about it.  I think she looks totally different.

On 12/6/2019 at 6:30 AM, Ohwell said:

That "might" be how they interact but my problem with her is that I don't understand her issue about not telling her dad the guy's name.  What's the big deal?  All she had to do is give a first name, but she dismisses her dad and walks off.   She did come off as a bitch to me (and I took the Dateline reference as a joke).  

She does thank her dad, but it strikes me more as for him complimenting her looks than for him bailing her ass out, and that's the thing that bothers me the most about their interaction, in addition to her hanging up on him.  The thing that bothers me about the commercial in general is that the dad is standing the whole time.  I wish he'd put his Echo somewhere where he could sit.  Were they trying to make it seem like he was standing in the kitchen with her?  (Also, the guy's name is Sam, in case anyone didn't catch that it pops up on the screen when she hangs up.)

Edited by janie jones
25 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Also, I never would have noticed that the lady from the gin commercial was the lady for the Peloton commercial if I hadn't heard about it.  I think she looks totally different

It's those big, sad eyes that looks the same.

• Love 2

The Peloton ad was stupid and poorly thought it, but I didn't get the uproar, and I've seen it several times.  It just felt like something that social media ran with, and definitely not worth the Aviation redemption ad.  They could have just let it die.  Then again, Ryan Reynolds sucks, so basically anything he does annoys me.

IMO, the GMC commercial wins the honor for the worst holiday commercial this season.  It's one thing to buy a new truck, but two?  Even for the holidays, it felt like an embarrassing extravagance, and the cutesy wife "I want this one!" running to the truck the husband was obviously eyeing, haha!  Keep that trash commercial and those shitty trucks.

The Walmart ad sucks because Walmart is always a zoo so I just felt sorry for the husband.  The traffic, the crowds...and you deal with that before you even walk in the store.  Then doing that several times?  Forget that, I don't care if someone's off gluten/carbs/whatever, unless it's an allergy, they can eat elsewhere.  I'm only making one trip!

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Forget that, I don't care if someone's off gluten/carbs/whatever, unless it's an allergy, they can eat elsewhere.  I'm only making one trip!

They can also let you know before day of.

• Love 14
23 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

The Walmart ad sucks because Walmart is always a zoo so I just felt sorry for the husband.  The traffic, the crowds...and you deal with that before you even walk in the store

But the point of the ad is you don't have to walk in the store. You order online, pull into the designated spot for pick-ups, and an employee brings what you need to your car. My grocery store has 6 designated spots for people who order online, they let you know when it will be ready, you wait in your car and they bring the groceries to you. There were 3 cars using the service when I was at the store today.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

But the point of the ad is you don't have to walk in the store. You order online, pull into the designated spot for pick-ups, and an employee brings what you need to your car. My grocery store has 6 designated spots for people who order online, they let you know when it will be ready, you wait in your car and they bring the groceries to you. There were 3 cars using the service when I was at the store today.

I know about the curbside pickup, but it doesn't change the traffic and crowds you deal with on the way there.  And doing several drives to the same store is overkill.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Even The Duffel Blog got in on the Peloton ad. (The Duffel Blog is like The Onion, but for the military.)

Delta Force rescues woman trapped in Peloton commercial

That is hilarious!

"While Delta Force rescue teams had expected the woman to be weakened and afraid from her isolation, she actually fled the scene on foot with incredible cardiovascular endurance and leg strength.

“Stay hydrated,” she advised her rescuers."

• LOL 16
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I know about the curbside pickup, but it doesn't change the traffic and crowds you deal with on the way there.  And doing several drives to the same store is overkill.

He’d be doing that anyway, because he has to go to the store and get those things. And this way, he’s saved from having to elbow through the holiday wal mart shoppers. I don’t shop there anyway, but I definitely wouldn't go anywhere near one in the month of December. It’s always packed. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

If anyone wants to be angry about the Peloton commercial, they should be angry at the self-absorbed twit that can't stop filming herself.  That woman is vain.  She will probably raise her kids to be just as vain, that is if they don't learn that all on their own by mimicking her.

I think she was just video documenting her health journey so that her husband could see her enjoying her gift.  Because he didn't want to get up that early.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said: 

If anyone wants to be angry about the Peloton commercial, they should be angry at the self-absorbed twit that can't stop filming herself.  That woman is vain.  She will probably raise her kids to be just as vain, that is if they don't learn that all on their own by mimicking her.

I knew someone like this gal...the nervousness is just an act. The selfies fuel her need to be seen, as she pretends to be struggling with this new challenge. It's egocentric narcissistic behavior. The look on her face is EXACTLY how the person in my life looks when doing this same behavior.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
On 12/4/2019 at 7:26 AM, Haleth said:

The Peloton controversy made the NBC Nightly News last night.

I heard that the actor playing the husband has received death threats. 😳

On 12/4/2019 at 4:21 PM, peacheslatour said:

I heard she was also seeing one Mr. Frank Redhot. And what of Uncle Ben? Eh, what?

I heard Mrs Butterworth was sexually experimenting with Aunt Jermiama.

Edited by Ubiquitous
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2