Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 1/23/2020 at 3:15 PM, Katy M said:

Definitely.  I love cats.  But, they totally have minds of their own.  Actually I think that's why I love them.  And sometimes, just sometimes mind you, it does seem like they're out to play pranks on you.  I actually think the commercial is hilarious.  But, nope, totally not trading in my cat for a dog.

And I do love dogs too & they adore me! I make the biggest fuss over every one I meet.

• Love 4
On 1/17/2020 at 11:09 PM, zoey1996 said:

I despise the Unstoppable commercial with the older woman with the slicked back pale blond hair who goes into ecstasy at the fresh scent.  Weird new age music too.

What? Is she walking  down a (high) school hallway, apparently brushing a student with her arm? Wth? inappropriate!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

The commercials for the Today show bug me. They’re black and white shots of the Today anchors (often in glasses) reading or presenting the news. It’s like they’re trying so hard to be deep and profound. It reminds me of teen girls on Tumblr who only post or repost black and white pictures because “in black and white pictures you can see into the persons soul!” or some other bullshit. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

I just saw a commercial for some type of birth control. I forgot the name of the drug. I think it begins with a P? My question is this: why are there women AND men dancing with glee and happiness? Is this birth control drug for men as well as women? If it's just for women, why are there men doing backflips in the commercial? It's just so f'n stupid. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

y question is this: why are there women AND men dancing with glee and happiness?

In a sense, yes.  The women are all happy with their B.C., and now are going to allow the men to have sex with them without any of them having to worry about babies, I guess.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Katy M said:

In a sense, yes.  The women are all happy with their B.C., and now are going to allow the men to have sex with them without any of them having to worry about babies, I guess.

That's so wrong. Why hasn't a pharm company come up with a birth control pill/injection for men? 

Would men be less likely to remember to take it? I would think not but I really don't know what men think about that.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

That's so wrong. Why hasn't a pharm company come up with a birth control pill/injection for men? 

Would men be less likely to remember to take it? I would think not but I really don't know what men think about that.

They came up with one. Too many side effects came out during testing.  Of course, I'm not really sure how that's different than women's.  Hormonal birth control is just so bad for your body.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

They have. The men couldn't deal with the side effects.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Men have a birth control method available to them - condoms, or the more permanent solution of a vasectomy. I have a friend who married a man that had a vasectomy. She wanted children, and they were able to successfully reverse it. They have 4 children.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

They came up with one. Too many side effects came out during testing.  Of course, I'm not really sure how that's different than women's.  Hormonal birth control is just so bad for your body.

Except for the times when your own hormones are bad for your body and BC straightens them out.

• Love 7
On 1/24/2020 at 2:40 AM, Tashalynn29 said:

Those damn Starkist commercials advertising chicken packs. With that ditzy annoying bitch who just keeps repeating the word " CHICKEN" in a voice that sounds like Minnie Mouse huffed helium. 

Choke on it already, lady

It's Candace Cameron Bure, famous for being in "Full House", "Fuller House", dunning non born again Christians (they're hellbound!), and tuna breath.

• LOL 7
8 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Men have enough problems dealing with their eggplant shaped penises. 

BTW, how did they ever get out of alignment anyway? 

How do they straighten the abnormally bent ones?

Stick them in a vice?

Put them in a splint?

Just askin' for a friend.

Eggplant shaped? I thought the commercial for the horrific curse of a curved penis, was that it's shaped like a cucumber with a curve at the tip? I might need to look at that "cucumber" again.

And yes, we MUST find a solution to the curved penis before we figure out a form of male birth control! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
43 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Nausea, bloating, loss of libido. The same shit women have been putting up with for decades.

Well, loss of  libido  would  make for effective  birth control,  because ....

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
On ‎01‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 1:53 PM, Katy M said:

Hormonal birth control is just so bad for your body.

Except for those women for whom it regulates medical conditions and makes it possible for them to function normally.

18 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

And yes, we MUST find a solution to the curved penis before we figure out a form of male birth control!

Peyronie's disease is a legitimate medical problem which can be quite painful and cause erectile dysfunction, so I've got no argument with trying to cure it or at least ease the symptoms.  There's no reason that both issues can't be dealt with.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Well, loss of  libido  would  make for effective  birth control,  because ....

That's actually funny because the study I read said increased libido.  LOL.  I don't know if it was a different drug.

20 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Just curious. What were the side effects? 

Also, depression, loss of fertility (after a year of stopping drug), headaches, and acne.

Side effects for women include blood clots, stroke and a 20% higher chance of breast cancer.  If you need the hormones for other reasons, yes, birth control pills are useful.  But, to me, the risk of serious health complications isn't worth it. Use a condom and double up with a diaphragm or something.

• Love 1
On 1/25/2020 at 1:19 PM, Katy M said:

I'm still waiting for a pregnancy test commercial with a relieved unmarried girl discovering she's not pregnant. 

• Love 15
35 minutes ago, Katy M said:

But, to me, the risk of serious health complications isn't worth it. Use a condom and double up with a diaphragm or something.

Some of those side effects are not from the pill alone but from its combination with other factors such as smoking.  For many women, oral contraception is the best choice.  It's like a lot of other medications: choose what's best for you after consultation with your doctor.  For me, something which has to be inserted, like the diaphragm, is an absolute non-starter, but for other women, it's fine.  No particular method works for everyone.

And now, back to commercials:

I want to punch Amy Poehler every time I see that commercial where she tries to take away some family's heirloom grandfather clock because it's "not connected or protected".  Hey stupid, if it's not connected to the internet, it doesn't need the kind of protection you're shilling.

(Edited to note that the increased risk of breast cancer in women who use the pill is still a matter of much debate since different studies have conflicted on the issue.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I'm still waiting for a pregnancy test commercial with a relieved unmarried girl discovering she's not pregnant. 

Yes! Why is every pregnancy test commercial with results showing POSITIVE a happy ocassion? Sometimes it's NOT what you/I/they/them wanted so why not show people that their product can prove negative results as well? And people being happy they weren't pregnant? Then that pharm company can promote their birth control devices/pills/condoms.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Or a married woman. Just because you're married doesn't mean you'd welcome a pregnancy.

Isn't she in the minority of customers looking for a negative response?

4 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Check this out:

Wait, is that really from David Lynch? I'd expect something like this:

• LOL 1

On 1/25/2020 at 11:32 AM, peacheslatour said:

They have. The men couldn't deal with the side effects.

I just wanted to make sure the people who responded to this with the laugh know that it wasn't a joke, although it may be funny in a "man cold" kind of way.  (At least, I don't think she meant it as a joke.)  It's literally contributing to male birth control taking so long.  They had to cut short at least one clinical trial because men were dropping out due to the side effects. This is from 2016, but I know there have been completed trials since then.

2 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Yes! Why is every pregnancy test commercial with results showing POSITIVE a happy ocassion? Sometimes it's NOT what you/I/they/them wanted so why not show people that their product can prove negative results as well? And people being happy they weren't pregnant? Then that pharm company can promote their birth control devices/pills/condoms.

Then they'd have to admit women have sex for reasons besides wanting to have babies.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 1/24/2020 at 11:17 PM, Frisky Wig said:

The commercials for the Today show bug me. They’re black and white shots of the Today anchors (often in glasses) reading or presenting the news. It’s like they’re trying so hard to be deep and profound. It reminds me of teen girls on Tumblr who only post or repost black and white pictures because “in black and white pictures you can see into the persons soul!” or some other bullshit. 

One of our local channels runs ads for their news where they just run clips from previous news stories.  It's ridiculous, it makes you think they're current news stories.  "It's going to be sunny and warm today, so put away your umbrellas." Hey, it's pouring rain.  Oh, this wasn't a weather report, it was an ad for their news.

I despise this.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Isn't she in the minority of customers looking for a negative response?

Wait, is that really from David Lynch? I'd expect something like this:

Jesus Christ! Warn a person! I will never watch that movie again. When I was trying to explain my waking nightmares to my doctor from taking Chantix, I cited Eraserhead and she had no idea what I was talking about.

• LOL 1
On 1/21/2020 at 1:18 PM, Ohwell said:

My main issue with these "final expenses" commercials is that they make it seem like the children are responsible for their dead parent's debt other than funeral expenses.  Unless I'm missing something, they aren't responsible unless they co-signed.  

When Ronald Reagan was Governor of California, he got a law passed saying that if parents died owing the state money for medical coverage, their children were required to pay back the money, regardless of their relationship with the parent.  I assume it's been repealed, but I don't know.  I do know that my mother hated Reagan after that because she had to come up with money to pay off her parents' medical debts.

On 1/21/2020 at 2:18 PM, peacheslatour said:

Cremated and ashes sprinkled into Puget Sound. All their friends are dead and I;m the only family they have. Besides, they always thought funerals were a waste of money.

My parents made a contract with the Neptune Society to take care of their bodies after they die, and paid off the Neptune Society themselves.  My Dad was a veteran, so his ashes were inurned at a veterans' cemetery, and my mother will be placed beside him when she dies.

• Love 4

I looked back a few days and didn't see this one referenced...for car batteries of all things.  A whole office wins a huge lottery, except the guy who had to take the day off because his car died the day they collected money for the tickets.

What a bunch of A-holes.  If your office has a lottery pool all the time and the one day you're off they couldn't cover you?  Bull crap.  And just mean and petty.  But the way they're all dancing around his sad/angry slumped body maybe no one likes him?

And Peleton ...we get it...not every one of your customers is a "spin goblin" hostage.... But I don't need to see the off key singing Dad Every. Single. Commericial. Break

• Love 12
1 hour ago, smartyshorts said:

Peleton ...we get it...not every one of your customers is a "spin goblin" hostage.... But I don't need to see the off key singing Dad Every. Single. Commericial. Break

Don't worry. They're trying to snag the people who made New Year's resolutions about getting into shape before they lose interest again for another year. It should be soon and the ads should taper off. At least I hope so.

• Love 5

Yes! Why is every pregnancy test commercial with results showing POSITIVE a happy ocassion? Sometimes it's NOT what you/I/they/them wanted so why not show people that their product can prove negative results as well?

Probably because they prefer to have their product associated with something positive, like the happy occasion of new parents expecting a child. Rather than a panicked, frightened couple running out for a test because they're afraid of a pregnancy. 

Apologies to Matthew McConnehey fans, but I can't stand him.  Now he's all over the place in Lincoln ads (like he'd propel me to buy a Lincoln).  But the latest with him in the arctic like an escaped serial killer whistling the Andy Griffith theme makes my skin crawl.

Oh, pull up a chair, I'm right there with you. The fact is that MM always plays some version of himself. He has no range, he always has that same Texas drawwwwwwlllll and he's just always that guy. He's more of a commodity than an actor. 

With few exceptions (PSAs maybe) it always turns me off to see a big, famous movie star doing television commercials. I mean, how much money do they need? It just makes them seem like greedy bastards that will do anything for money. I get why the products would want them as spokespeople - I just don't get why the stars would do it. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

With few exceptions (PSAs maybe) it always turns me off to see a big, famous movie star doing television commercials. I mean, how much money do they need? It just makes them seem like greedy bastards that will do anything for money. I get why the products would want them as spokespeople - I just don't get why the stars would do it. 

I agree.  Plus, I've never bought a product based on some celebrity doing a commercial for it. 

• Love 6
On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 1:09 PM, chenoa333 said:

I saw one years ago where one woman went "Whew!" in relief and I appreciated it. We are a baby-loving culture, so they want to show the happy women, not the relieved or bummed-out ones.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

I saw one years ago where one woman went "Whew!" in relief and I appreciated it. We are a baby-loving culture, so they want to show the happy women, not the relieved or bummed-out ones.

I missed seeing that commercial. Sounds awesome. A pregnancy testing kit is for revealing both joyous results and sad results depending on what you're hoping for. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Oh, pull up a chair, I'm right there with you. The fact is that MM always plays some version of himself. He has no range, he always has that same Texas drawwwwwwlllll and he's just always that guy. He's more of a commodity than an actor.

well, except for that one episode of Unsolved Mysteries where he plays the victim of a sexual predator. "Larry, he shot Larry!" I really am sorry the woman lost her son in the very violent, vicious manner, but the acting of the woman in the segment always makes me laugh and mock her.

But one of the most beloved actors of all times, not by me, but my parent's generation loved him, John Wayne. He was a terrible actor, he was always the same character. And the only John Wayne movie I liked in the least was North to Alaska, but there he was the same character as he was in all his films. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Probably because they prefer to have their product associated with something positive, like the happy occasion of new parents expecting a child. Rather than a panicked, frightened couple running out for a test because they're afraid of a pregnancy.

Well I for one am at my happiest when the pregnancy test is negative.

Oh and I'm married, by the way.  If they don't want the Million Moms to boycott their depiction of unmarried "sluts," they could show a couple high-fiving (using their left hands with the wedding rings, of course) because of the negative test.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 13

Yeah, I certainly understand wanting to show scenarios where people are happy with the results, rather than people tossing the product being advertised into the trash and bursting into tears, but since plenty of women take one of those tests hoping for it to come up negative, it's ridiculous for 99% of those yay, got what I wanted scenes to be of women turning up pregnant.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

Well I for one am at my happiest when the pregnancy test is negative.

Oh and I'm married, by the way.  If they don't want the Million Moms to boycott their depiction of unmarried "sluts," they could show a couple high-fiving (using their left hands with the wedding rings, of course) because of the negative test.

That's probably why they don't show any women happy to find out their not pregnant. Once again the idea that unmarried women could be having sex because they want to and not wanting to get pregnant? Oh no that can't happen. No "good" woman could possibility want that. Only "bad" women would. Sluts. 

• Love 5

Crap. That douchebag from the Chevy commercials is back in a new one in which he asks children (in a homage or rippoff of Kids Say the Dumbest Things?) how the safety features work, followed by blank stares and shrugs. Well, I guess we're lucky they didn't give any "cute" explanations...

9 hours ago, janie jones said:

TBH, I figured someone would think getting MM to declare a boycott would be a great publicity stunt.

• Love 7

I certainly understand wanting to show scenarios where people are happy with the results, rather than people tossing the product being advertised into the trash and bursting into tears,

Although, that would be hilarious. 😂

• LOL 6