Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

Ubiquitius, yes there are a few new Mayhem ads, I was a little confused by the mother-in-law in the car at first too. I haven't seen the Elf on the Shelf one yet.

Peacheslatour, thank you, I try hard.

Colleena, yes, I was being sarcastic.

I haven't seen the new ads yet either.  I liked the cat one, not so much the dog one.

• Love 1

Having only seen the Mayhem ad with Tina Fey in which he's her dog, not her mother-in-law, I too was initially confused, but looked it up:

Here's elf on the shelf (which I'd never seen, either):

• Love 3

ON 11/29/2019 AT 1:15 PM, IMONREY SAID:

The All State Mayhem commercials have official run their course. The one where he's your cat was actually pretty funny, but the last two are just dumb. 

Sadly someone at the ad agency decided to adapt the cat commercial to a shorter version, this was one refers to a cat's curiosity and only shows the running faucet with it then crashing through the floor.

14 hours ago, materialgirl101 said:

Why not FISH tacos?

I thought of that too. It also occurred to me that we are seeing a different dinner with the tacos. Still all in all a very annoying series of commercials.

13 hours ago, sempervivum said:

This one could also be double-posted in 'Seasonal/Holiday Commercials': a new Chanel Number Five perfume ad with a vaguely flapperish looking model staring at a bottle of the stuff, and cooing some nonsense about how great it is, all to a EDM-type beat. It ends with a weird electronic screech. I guess they're trying to bring this very old, classic fragrance to the attention of millennials? Personally, it just makes me change the channel, but that's OK Boomer talk, I guess.

(I do NOT like this center-justified formatting; anybody know how to change it?)

No, it is not a generational issue.  That is one that you cannot imagine how it ever got made.

Edited by elle
  • Love 4

I hate the commercial for MTailor, the men's jeans app.  What does a woman know about men's jeans?  The jeans look terrible.  They are baggy like Liz Claiborne women's pants from 1995.  UGLY. If my husband put on pants like those shown in the commercial, I would ask him to change.  

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:15 PM, Automne said:

Hobby Lobby is a trash company, so it’s fitting it has trash commercials. The one that has earned my ire is where a teenage boy has been leaving his dirty dishes and laundry around waiting for his (implied) single mother who is also a nurse to get around to cleaning up after him. So he goes to HL to buy Christmas decorations, dolls up the living room, and gives his mother a present: his clean dishes and laundry washed and folded in the basket with a ribbon wrapped around it. “Merry Christmas Mom! Your present is me cleaning up after myself like the able-boded teenager I am!”

The only way this might not be as bad is if it was implied that him learning how to be the adult he’s on the cusp of being is the new normal and he’ll be regularly doing dishes and laundry and taking some of the burden off of his mother. Otherwise, it just says, “I did what you, the woman of the house, is supposed to be doing for me, Merry Christmas.”

I like that commercial, probably because it does imply he's learning to be an adult.  Still hate Hobby Lobby, though.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:27 PM, Browncoat said:

It's Applebee's, and I hate it.  The ad, not the song.

I hate the song.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:19 PM, chessiegal said:

I bought a new car this year specifically for the new technology they have. I'm 69 and can use all the help I can get. I love my back-up camera and other enhancements. I also got a built in GPS for the 1st time, even though they've been around for many years. I used to use Google Maps on my phone, but my car's GPS is better. It's the best car I've ever owned. If you could marry a car, I'd marry my new one.

Whereas I hate all that stuff.  Especially the GPS which made us do a U-turn on the way to Atlantic City for no reason whatsoever.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:54 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Fat people use a Peleton? The horror! How would they be able to peddle the pretentiousness and elitism if some fat ass member of the hoi polloi used a Peleton? 

Which is why I don't hate the Nordic Trac commercials, even though I'm no more inclined to buy one.  They actually use a variety of body-shaped actors for theirs.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, elle said:

No, it is not a generational issue.  That is one that you cannot imagine how it ever got made.

Perfume commercials seem to be competing to see who can be the weirdest.  And thus, least likely to make me buy it.  Although that's still the Johnny Depp one, because it makes me think it smells like Johnny Depp after he's buried a dead body in the desert.

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Because you hate fish?  That would be my problem - it's not the form of the fish, it's the fish.

I used to love fish tacos, before I went veg. If anything could tempt me to break vegetarian, it would be fish tacos with Baja sauce. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

Having only seen the Mayhem ad with Tina Fey in which he's her dog, not her mother-in-law, I too was initially confused, but looked it up:

Here's elf on the shelf (which I'd never seen, either):

I absolutely can't stand this guy. Period. 

However, I came here to state something much more important: If I NEVER, EVER see or hear Marie Osmond again in my life, I will die a happy woman.

And thanks Primetimer for all the ads popping up on the bottom of my screen. Must be a little Christmas gift. So thoughtful! Or maybe it wasn't PrimeTimer. It could be a Secret Santa!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Speaking of pelaton (or autocorrect = gelatin) ads, there is the one that is set on Christmas morning.  Lots of people in the same neighborhood apparently all got one and are all exercising at the same time. All of the outdoor Christmas lights are flickering on and off.  So the pelatons are draining all the electrical power?

Edited by elle
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

I saw a new one to hate today. No idea what device it’s for, but this bratty little girl totes some translating device (or is it a tablet?) out in the yard to “talk” to the reindeer.  First of all, don’t get so close to the WILD animals!  Secondly, not all reindeer are Santa’s, so even if the device translated the kid’s questions into reindeer language, those particular reindeer might not know the answers.  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, elle said:

Speaking of pelaton (or autocorrect = gelatin) ads, there is the one that is set on Christmas morning.  Lots of people in the same neighborhood apparently all got one and are all exercising at the same time. All of the outdoor Christmas lights are flickering on and off.  So the pelatons are draining all the electrical power?

I believe they're trying to say that the riders are powering the Christmas lights through sheer peddling.   Kind of like an old Make Your Own Electricity demo on Mr. Wizard.   Which, yeah, if the zombie apocalypse comes you could theoretically have Christmas lights, but without internet how will you be able to rider with no trainer bellowing at you. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

And thanks Primetimer for all the ads popping up on the bottom of my screen. Must be a little Christmas gift. So thoughtful! Or maybe it wasn't PrimeTimer. It could be a Secret Santa!

They're horrid, and they make an already wonky mobile site even worse.

3 hours ago, elle said:

I saw that one, but I took it to mean all the douchebag Peletoners are providing electricity for the neighborhood, you know, because Peletoners are just that freaking amazing. ( @Maverick beat me to it. )

Edited by SmithW6079
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5

Thank you, Maverick and SmithW6079!  It was confusing to me because it seemed as if the lights were already on. It makes no sense to me.  Why have those lights on during the morning?  So then how is that affecting the rest of the house?  I know, it is a commercial.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Perfume commercials seem to be competing to see who can be the weirdest.  And thus, least likely to make me buy it.  Although that's still the Johnny Depp one, because it makes me think it smells like Johnny Depp after he's buried a dead body in the desert.

I still think this is a joke because 1) it's so weird and 2) I have my doubts about how good JD smells.

Another Pelotan article.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, elle said:

The wort part of that ad is the annoying music along with the barking, cartoonish voices of the trainers screaming at the riders.  So festive!  not

• Love 5
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Giving an overweight person an unrequested gift of exercise equipment as a Christmas gift is a really bad idea.  That is like giving a person who is on a diet chocolate or giving little kids socks and underwear for Christmas.   It won't end well at all.

You might as well put a lump in someone's stocking, and I am not talking about a lump of coal.

Peloton was smart by having a skinny woman getting a bike in the commercial.  if a skinny dude gave his overweight wife an unrequested Peloton, I am sure many viewers would be outraged.

As much as I loathe all the Peloton commercials in general - this was especially - I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that perhaps the wife had been 'hinting' she wanted one, and her hub surprised her with one.  Even if it were an overweight woman (or man) who had confided with their spouse that they wanted to lose a few pounds and shape up by working out or running in the morning, but live in an area that isn't too kind in the winter time for a morning/evening run - so spouse surprises them with a Peloton as a way to get their cardio indoors.  I see nothing rude or insulting receiving this as a gift if the gifter knew the giftee would really appreciate it.  I've been on the hunt for a cheap bench/barbell set for the last two years so if my hub surprised me by scoring one at a garage sale I'd be psyched.

What I particularly dislike about this new one is the fact they used an already fit and trim giftee who - after a year - didn't look much different, but claimed her journey to change was amazing.  And her 'okay, I'm scared, but let's do this' before her first ride makes my eyes roll.  It's a bike, honey, not a mountain climb without a harness

I'd rather see an overweight person getting up at 6 am or coming home after work and getting on the bike before supper.  People exercise for a number of reasons (enjoyment, a way to blow off steam, keep a healthy heart, etc) but let's be honest - the main reason is to lose weight so show me someone (man or woman) with weight to lose sweating on that thing and their dramatic change after a year.  If the commercial was done with care and consideration, I would find that so much more inspiring

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

An orange in the Christmas stocking is a holdover from way back, before modern interstates and shipping, when oranges were exotic, hard to come by, and a very special treat.

Like in Little Town on the Prairie, when Laura goes to her first dinner party and each of the guests has an orange on their plates.  I don’t think she had even seen an orange before.

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Like in Little Town on the Prairie, when Laura goes to her first dinner party and each of the guests has an orange on their plates.  I don’t think she had even seen an orange before.

I remember that show, wasn't it on right after Happy Weeks?

• LOL 1
34 minutes ago, smittykins said:

When I was a child, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I always got a tangerine in my Christmas stocking. Oranges and tangerines just weren't universally available except around Christmas. 

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

When I was a child, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I always got a tangerine in my Christmas stocking. Oranges and tangerines just weren't universally available except around Christmas. 

I used to get an orange and some nuts like walnuts and hazel nuts. When I was a teenager I'd also get a can of crab to share with my cat.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I used to get an orange and some nuts like walnuts and hazel nuts. When I was a teenager I'd also get a can of crab to share with my cat.

English walnuts and Brazil nuts here. Along with those godawful hard Christmas candies. Blech. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

There is a movie called Christmas Oranges with Edward Hermann that shows how special it was to get an orange.

8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Aw, I'd like to think your cat looked forward to that.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, elle said:

There is a movie called Christmas Oranges with Edward Hermann that shows how special it was to get an orange.

Aw, I'd like to think your cat looked forward to that.

Lol, she was too busy knocking the glass balls off the tree and batting them into the stone entryway where they would satisfyingly go SMASH. Little brat. Mayhem, indeed.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, ctlady said:

As much as I loathe all the Peloton commercials in general - this was especially - I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that perhaps the wife had been 'hinting' she wanted one, and her hub surprised her with one.  Even if it were an overweight woman (or man) who had confided with their spouse that they wanted to lose a few pounds and shape up by working out or running in the morning, but live in an area that isn't too kind in the winter time for a morning/evening run - so spouse surprises them with a Peloton as a way to get their cardio indoors.  I see nothing rude or insulting receiving this as a gift if the gifter knew the giftee would really appreciate it. 

I don't disagree with this.  Unfortunately, there are times when the giftee hasn't expressed an interest in this kind of passive aggressive gift giving.  Like when my friend's mother gave her a membership to Weight Watchers for her 16th birthday.

On 12/1/2019 at 10:15 AM, chessiegal said:

I went to Jared's web site to see if I could find the necklace from the we just started dating ad. Jared's is quite proud of those ads. They feature them on their home page. That necklace costs $1,900! No wonder the dude can't afford a decent haircut.

My problem with the commercial is that they just started dating. You just started dating and you're giving her a $2K necklace? That's way too serious too soon. I'd be running the other direction. I don't even know if I like you yet.

Can any other girls back me up here? Or is it just me?

• Love 19
5 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

Or is it just me?

Nope.  Like I said, either in this thread or another one, when the commercial was first mentioned, you don't smile and hug in response to a crazy gesture like that, you back away slowly while blocking his number and looking up the restraining order process.

• LOL 10
  • Love 8

What's up with the obnoxious daughter commercials lately?

There's the one where the daughter has a date coming over and she's ruined dinner so he video calls her dad. He takes the time to help her out and saves her dinner and when he asks what his (the date's) name is, she hangs up on him. Thanks for helping dad. Now that i don't need you anymore, I can't be bothered to answer a simple question. Bye.

And Raisin Bran seems to love these commercials. A while back there was one with a father and a daughter camping or fishing and she makes fun of his jacket with a smart mouth tone. Now there's a new one where the daughter is about to go on a bike ride and he's just concerned about her safety and she continually smarts off to him.

These ads are so unappealing.

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

My problem with the commercial is that they just started dating. You just started dating and you're giving her a $2K necklace? That's way too serious too soon. I'd be running the other direction. I don't even know if I like you yet.

Well, as i said in my previous post, my husband gave me a gold and diamond necklace after we'd only been going out for three weeks but we were living together by then, If I didn't like the guy, I don't think it's ethical to accept it. The kind of crap I used to get form guys was usually stuffed animals on my porch, hanging baskets of plants, flowers.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Aryanna said:

There's the one where the daughter has a date coming over and she's ruined dinner so he video calls her dad. He takes the time to help her out and saves her dinner and when he asks what his (the date's) name is, she hangs up on him. Thanks for helping dad. Now that i don't need you anymore, I can't be bothered to answer a simple question. Bye.

And Raisin Bran seems to love these commercials. A while back there was one with a father and a daughter camping or fishing and she makes fun of his jacket with a smart mouth tone.

I like the interaction between the fathers and daughters in both those commercials; the teasing comes off very natural and affectionate.

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

Oh, this woman thinks it's weird. I need a new prescription for my glasses, and thought maybe it was a sterling silver necklace. But no, it's diamonds. Agree, run away fast. But they still could give the guy a decent haircut. Not sure I would date someone who can't be well groomed.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

Add me to the list of those who agree with you. I think the same thing every time I see that commercial. 

(In my case, there's also the fact that I'm not really a jewelry person to begin with, so if some guy I was dating plopped jewelry down for me that early, and it was that kind of super fancy stuff at that, it'd just make me feel even more uncomfortable.)

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Add me to the list of those who agree with you. I think the same thing every time I see that commercial. 

(In my case, there's also the fact that I'm not really a jewelry person to begin with, so if some guy I was dating plopped jewelry down for me that early, and it was that kind of super fancy stuff at that, it'd just make me feel even more uncomfortable.)

I just wonder who thought of this commercial? Who signed off on this commercial? What are they trying to accomplish with it? Are they trying to tell guys it's okay to spend that kind of money on someone you've only been dating a week or two? If so that's bad advice to the guys. 

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

I just wonder who thought of this commercial? Who signed off on this commercial? What are they trying to accomplish with it? Are they trying to tell guys it's okay to spend that kind of money on someone you've only been dating a week or two? If so that's bad advice to the guys. 

Or are they trying to tell women this is what you should expect? Obviously they are trying to sell diamond jewelry, but the premise of the commercial is ill conceived.

• Love 7
On 11/29/2019 at 8:57 AM, ctlady said:

Just when we thought we'd be rid of the annoying Peloton commercials - the one where the husband surprises his already slender and fit wife with one for Christmas where she proceeds to chronicle her year long journey of change. 

Barring internal health issues to which the machine may have helped during her year of change, her physique didn't.  Really, Peloton - a better ad campaign would've gotten someone with some visible body fat to lose, have them document themselves for a year and use their story for the commercial.  Not some chick you can't seem to pinch an inch on.

I suppose that this is to deflect any body-shaming accusations, because how dare you show someone overweight and suggest that there was something less than perfect about them? As someone who could definitely lose 40-50 lb myself, I think that political correctness has reached epidemic proportions and people need to get a grip!

• Love 15
26 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Or are they trying to tell women this is what you should expect? Obviously they are trying to sell diamond jewelry, but the premise of the commercial is ill conceived.

Then there are the commercials for not just an engagement/wedding ring with not one but lots of diamonds, now there’s the “She’s your best friend” and should therefore have another diamond ring. Sheesh. 

• Love 8
On 12/1/2019 at 8:58 AM, sempervivum said:

new Chanel Number Five perfume ad 

Never understood the popularity of any of the Chanel perfumes but especially, Chanel No. 5

P.U.(I don't know what that stands for but it's true!)

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 2