Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 4:09 PM, sempervivum said:

I absolutely detest the 'Worry Monster' from the Pom pomegranate juice commercials. Not only stupid looking, but it does mean stuff; it's complaining that the guy fell asleep even though the monster was telling him that his girlfriend (or wife) has the password to his phone and 'she knows everything'. Why do these ad agencies think this is a good way to make people buy a product?

I don't mind those commercials.  I don't particularly like them but I don't hate them either.  Although that one is more objectionable than the others.

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 12:18 AM, janie jones said:

It doesn't makes sense to me.  If your pad isn't absorbing enough, why don't you just get a different one?  They're all in the same aisle together, did you never notice the other ones?

That would be logical.  Although I can say with absolute certainty that sometimes there is no bigger pad which works better.  And even doubling the best overnight pad doesn't always work either.  So glad not to ever have to do that again.

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 3:07 PM, peacheslatour said:

I hate the "Ladies there's an elephant in our bathrooms...."

Yep, so do I.  No, we do not need your products.  They are not necessary and potentially not good for our bodies, depending on the exact product.

• Love 6

Yep, so do I.  No, we do not need your products.  They are not necessary and potentially not good for our bodies, depending on the exact product.

Indeed. Unless there is something wrong down there, the vagina is a self contained, self cleaning unit. It is not good to send in products that upset the natural flora. Low alkaline soap and water is all you need.

• Love 6
On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 2:50 PM, peacheslatour said:

That's like my parents friends who went to Italy and France and ate all their meals at McDonalds and other insipid American fast food joints. That's right, they went to two countries who are world known for the finest cuisine and they chose to eat flavorless, familiar garbage.

I did eat at McDonald's a couple of times in France, mainly because they had the nearest clean bathrooms possessing actual toilets.  (Carcasonne's train station bathroom had a porcelain hole in the ground.  Literally.)  And also because I'm not fond of French food, although French desserts are awesome.  Alas, a woman cannot live on eclairs alone. :-(

I've also eaten at a McDonald's in Athens, for a similar bathroom related reason.  And I adore Greek food.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:25 AM, Haleth said:

Right?  She says she didn't realize how much it would change her life (something like that) but we as viewers can't see how it changed anything.

Well, she does spend a lot of time on that Peleton and less time with her family, so . . .

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:22 PM, Woopwoopkitty said:

Just saw a commercial for weight loss “ Dr to Help”.

I've seen that snake oil salesman before for some other product or maybe the same one under a different name

it starts with a woman with a frozen face and a wooden delivery

then cuts to Dr Help whose face is also frozen with an equally bad delivery and clearly reading cue cards

It’s some of the worst production values I’ve ever seen

The sad thing is, phentermine can be safely used for weight loss - I've been doing it for about 5 months - when monitored by your doctor. But clearly this guy is not a legitimate doctor.  And exactly how any pharmacy is going to dispense a controlled substance on the say so of his prescription is beyond me.  I have to go to the doctor every month and get a handwritten prescription stamped with her legal seal before my pharmacy will fill it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:51 PM, peacheslatour said:

That's Jessica Alba and she is kind of a big deal. She's been in a ton of movies. I think the commercial is cute.

Except she's shilling products that most people do not need.  I guess you could say that for most products, but I'm particularly offended by all these non-regulated supplements that do nothing for most people.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:56 PM, smittykins said:

“Metamucil helps trap and remove waste from your digestive system.”

In other words, it makes you 💩.

Yep, lol.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:27 PM, mmecorday said:

A child's tantrum can always be tamed by mac n' cheese and a big ole slice of Red Baron frozen pizza, doncha know.

That's probably true.  Not good for them, but true.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:19 PM, Brookside said:

This reminds me of when my toddler would take his shoes off in the car during the five minute drive home from daycare, since I had to put them back on to get to the house.  I asked him not to, but he continued to until the time I didn't put them back on, and he had to walk through cold puddles to get to the house and wait on the porch until I got him clean socks.  He didn't die, but he did learn. Consequences people.

Following in my parents' footsteps, my children could choose one item they wouldn't eat.  Bananas in my case.  Otherwise, being picky wasn't even an option.  Our parents worked hard, my mom put a home-cooked meal on the table every night, we ate it.

My mom went a similar route with picky eating.  Plus, my brother and I never had to eat liver and onions because Dad hated liver.  There were times when I didn't like whatever the main course was (probably fish) but there were side dishes I'd eat, so Mom was fine with that, too.  When I got older, if I didn't like what she served, I could make a sandwich, but she wasn't fixing something special just for me.

• Love 5

My mom went a similar route with picky eating.  Plus, my brother and I never had to eat liver and onions because Dad hated liver.  There were times when I didn't like whatever the main course was (probably fish) but there were side dishes I'd eat, so Mom was fine with that, too.  When I got older, if I didn't like what she served, I could make a sandwich, but she wasn't fixing something special just for me.

Lol. My dad loved liver and onions, my mom hated it so she would make him liver and onions, oysters for herself and a pork chop for me. She only did it when she was really craving oysters though. I wonder how well the Red Baroness would sell liver and onions to her family. If she got them to eat that, she really would earn her wings!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

My mom was the same way! My dad loved liver and onions and my mom hated it. She wouldn't even cook it for the longest time. She'd order it from a nearby restaurant and the rest of us would eat either something from their or she'd cook something the three of us loved. After the restaurant stopped carrying it she learned to cook it while we had something else. 

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Lol. My dad loved liver and onions, my mom hated it so she would make him liver and onions, oysters for herself and a pork chop for me. She only did it when she was really craving oysters though. I wonder how well the Red Baroness would sell liver and onions to her family. If she got them to eat that, she really would earn her wings!

Until I became a vegetarian, I adored liver and onions. The hubs, notsomuch. So I only got it if we went out to dinner somewhere that had it on the menu. Like I said somewhere else, there are very few foods that I absolutely will not eat: okra, turnips (though I love turnip greens), rutabaga, and avocados. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't think I've ever even seen a rutabaga.

What about a rutabagey? That is what my parents called them.  Mom would put them in stews.  Cooked they look like potatoes, just slightly yellow if you looked closely.  I would always get one, ick!, and then ask why she didn't warn me. Her reply was she always put them in so I should have known.

My father loved liver and onions too!  Mom would cook them once in a blue moon, but would make something else for us.

Bringing this back on topic, that amazon commercial bugging me cuts out this verse: "At long last love has arrived".  One line!  They couldn't use that ONE line? Pfah!

Edited by elle
  • Love 4
34 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

What I really don't like is seeing the same commercials over and over again in a short period of time,.  That has been happening a lot lately.

It seems like the idiotic plant buttered noodles one aired during every single commercial break during the weekly MASH marathon on Sundance today.  Drove me nuts.

• Love 2

Yep, it launched multiple discussions about how the caving to the kid's taste would not have happened in one's family.

The two that especially bug me are the ones "we will sleep here" and the mom with the veggies on the fork chasing the kid.

I've started to use the commercials as a "what not to do" teaching moment for my teen.  She politely listens to my various rants.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, elle said:

Yep, it launched multiple discussions about how the caving to the kid's taste would not have happened in one's family.

The two that especially bug me are the ones "we will sleep here" and the mom with the veggies on the fork chasing the kid.

I've started to use the commercials as a "what not to do" teaching moment for my teen.  She politely listens to my various rants.

That's what I hate about those. They either show the parents being completely stupid or the kids being spoiled brats. The Mom chasing after her daughter and the daughter tells her she's full. Why is she forcing her to eat more if she's full. The kid that pretends faint because their having fish and he gets rewarded with tacos. So what did they just throw that big fish out? The only one I've ever liked was the one with the kids not eating their veggies and it switches to their veggies covered with cheese. That made sense. The kids were still eating their veggies and their mother didn't throw out what they were having. She just put cheese on it.  

2 hours ago, Jaded said:

This commercial annoys me so much so I hate that it's airing again....

I hate this commercial its so stupid. How is a baby dumping sauce on his/her head a sign they love Prego? My nephew dumped everything on his head whether he liked it or not as baby. I'm pretty sure I did too.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 11/15/2019 at 3:52 PM, seasons said:

Someone must have hate posted this one before...

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oLtp/kraft-cheeses-well-sleep-here-song-by-enya

Just once or twice.  😉

11 hours ago, Jaded said:

This commercial annoys me so much so I hate that it's airing again....

Thanks for reminding me about it! This is more of a headscratcher to me b/c I don't agree with premise that they're "pasta experts" or how dumping it on yourself indicates you like it. Wouldn't how much you ate be a better indicator? 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Brookside said:

"Bayer: This is why we science."

Apart from being a grammatical disaster, what on earth is this supposed to mean?

Pharmaceutical companies like Bayer (which, by the way, has ties to "research" done in Nazi Germany), Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, and others, run these supposedly feel-good ads claiming they are all about making people's lives better to offset the bad publicity from lawsuits that reveal that they actually manufacture and sell, sell, sell products that are harmful. They know of the harm the drugs cause and conceal it to get FDA approval and then use questionable (to put it mildly) techniques to sell the products to the public and to doctors. So when you have things like multi-million dollar jury verdicts against these kinds of companies for knowingly causing harm to people for profit, they flood the market with ads about how compassionate and wonderful they are.

• Love 7

I'm sick of the phone commercials with super annoying songs. Like the Google one with the "I want it, want it, gotta have it". I have to hear it all the time while watching YouTube. And I just saw one for an iPhone with an annoying song. I haven't seen it before, but I'm thinking why do they all have to play terrible songs?! I'm not buying your shit just because of that. Lol

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I've been appalled by recent car commercials, esp one in which a mom is driving a white SUV extremely fast while her kids are in the back seat. Too many auto ads show, IMO, reckless & OTT speedy driving, setting a bad example.

All of you who didn't have to eat liver? You were so lucky! My mother served it maybe once a month, thinking it was good for us. She'd smother it with crispy bacon & sauteed onions (yay!) but then we'd get to the wretched, nasty liver. I still like chopped chicken livers sauted w/ onions, on a cracker, though.

• Love 3

I hate the Allstate ads with Tina Fey and Mayhem in which no mayhem occurs because of Allstate's stupid app that monitors drivers. Nobody puts Mayhem in a corner, Allstate! 

Ironically, as I typed this post, the godawful new in-line ads that make the posts in these forums violently jerk up and down were for... wait for it... Allstate.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Just saw the new Mercedes Benz Christmas commercial last night.  It features one of those annoying-ass 'precocious' children taking an unflattering photo of Santa while he's delivering packages to the kid's house and then using it to extort Santa into giving him a Mercedes suv for Christmas.  Gah!

Wasn't it just last year that Mercedes used an adorable puppy delaying Santa with his potty break?  Can we have that commercial again, please?

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 8

Has anybody else seen the commercial with the dad cutting the grass being interrupted by the daughter asking to be driven to her friends house?  They have taken out the part where she petulantly stomps her foot and replaced it with her looking at her phone and bopping her head. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Dbolt said:

Has anybody else seen the commercial with the dad cutting the grass being interrupted by the daughter asking to be driven to her friends house?  They have taken out the part where she petulantly stomps her foot and replaced it with her looking at her phone and bopping her head. 

Is that the one where the dad puts in a pool?

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Dbolt said:

That kid has to be the producer's daughter. She has a face made for radio,

• LOL 6

That kid has to be the producer's daughter. She has a face made for radio,

There's a Subaru commercial with a little girl who, to be kind, is "homely." And her older sister is not. The two girls look nothing alike, and nothing like the parents. 

2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

What's with all the commercials channeling Oprah's yell. Someone up thread mentioned the becoming an independent child, I hadn't seen that one yet. But now I have and it's annoying. But it's not the only one channeling Oprah. Just stop it!

The worst one is Neil Patrick Harris channeling Oprah as he shills for.... Target, I think. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I hate the Allstate ads with Tina Fey and Mayhem in which no mayhem occurs because of Allstate's stupid app that monitors drivers. Nobody puts Mayhem in a corner, Allstate! 

Ironically, as I typed this post, the godawful new in-line ads that make the posts in these forums violently jerk up and down were for... wait for it... Allstate.

I have not seen those Allstate ads with Tina Fey but I can't stand her.

I recently noticed this site oscillates and assumed it was my browser.

8 hours ago, Colleenna said:

The worst one is Neil Patrick Harris channeling Oprah as he shills for.... Target, I think. 

It's for Old Navy.

On 11/13/2019 at 12:14 AM, spiderpig said:

I absolutely detest the Celebrity Cruise spot with Grace Slick wailing White Rabbit* at the top of her lungs.  

On 11/13/2019 at 1:27 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

A song about being whacked out on LSD?  Hmmm.......

It's like the time Royal Caribbean Cruises ran an entire campaign featuring Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life". The ads play the first line of the song and then jump to the chorus. Leaving out the part where he sings about "the liquor and the drugs and the flesh machine".

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, xaxat said:

It's like the time Royal Caribbean Cruises ran an entire campaign featuring Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life". The ads play the first line of the song and then jump to the chorus. Leaving out the part where he sings about "the liquor and the drugs and the flesh machine".

There's a cruise line that uses a really annoying song about "It's good good good good to be alive, right about now."  The original song was marked for explicit lyrics.....

• Love 1
16 hours ago, configdotsys said:

They are rerunning the Tide ads in which a couple of kids are in various states of doing wrong things and saying, "I didn't do it." This is not remotely cute or funny.

I can't stand that one either. And you're right it's not the least bit cute, it's just irritating.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Seems like what I see all the time here in MD, not outdated at all.

I hate that commercial for implying that cats can fall from that height and not get hurt.

I've said it before, but I always wonder if that cat is some sort of psychic to know when he's tossing those cat treats so it can time its leap to catch them.

Edited by Ubiquitous
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, configdotsys said:

They are rerunning the Tide ads in which a couple of kids are in various states of doing wrong things and saying, "I didn't do it." This is not remotely cute or funny.

I hate the commercial and the kids.  Their lying asses should be sent to their rooms, sans screens, for a long stay.

• Love 5

Why? It's true that you feel drained when you have the flu.

Well, yeah, but she WENT TO WORK with the flu. As a teacher. (Although it's possible she went to work not knowing she had the flu.)

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Well, yeah, but she WENT TO WORK with the flu. As a teacher. (Although it's possible she went to work not knowing she had the flu.)

It looked to me like she was feeling ok and then as the day went on she started to feel worse thus her body slowly drained from her clothes. Admittedly it's not a very clever commercial but I guess it just doesn't bug me.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It looked to me like she was feeling ok and then as the day went on she started to feel worse thus her body slowly drained from her clothes. Admittedly it's not a very clever commercial but I guess it just doesn't bug me.

I think that's what they were trying to depict, since they say that you need to take the medicine within 48 hours of your first symptom.

• Love 2
On 11/13/2019 at 7:14 AM, funky-rat said:

I only knew one set of exceedingly picky eaters growing up.  Siblings who refused to eat things unless their mother or grandmothers prepared it.  If there were a pot luck, they had their own set of food to eat.  If they were going to someone's house, they arrived with their own food.  

I am friends with a family that does this.  I don't invite them for meals anymore.  I'm not going to enable this kind of behaviour.  What an insult. 

• Love 5

The Jimmy Dean commercials which seem to be running constantly. Isn't it a little creeptastic that Jimmy Dean is dead, yet they still use his voice to sell his products? I would never buy his products anyway, but I just find it really off putting.

• Love 9

Maybe I'm a horrible, unfeeling person (...or maybe it's because I'm a Trekkie), but this commercial gets on my nerves.

In a similar vein to the 'some people just shouldn't have pets' discussion a few pages back, but in reverse - if your only motivation for getting a dog is because it's Star Wars-themed, that's not an auspicious beginning for a living creature you're going to share your home with.

And if, giving the kid and his dad the benefit of the doubt, they actually did their homework and concluded that a small-breed dog would be a good fit for them and made preparations to adopt one, upon finding out that the specific dog they were after had gotten a family already, a reasonable next step would be to look at other small dogs, not jump to a cat because it's also fucking Star Wars-themed, despite a cat being an entirely different type of pet with its own requirements, benefits, and drawbacks.

I can't look at this commercial as harmless fun because, like breeds getting more popular when they're featured in a movie, this kind of behavior gets real animals hurt. Pets are not impulse buys. Gahhhhh.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Emma9 said:

Maybe I'm a horrible, unfeeling person (...or maybe it's because I'm a Trekkie), but this commercial gets on my nerves

In a similar vein to the 'some people just shouldn't have pets' discussion a few pages back, but in reverse - if your only motivation for getting a dog is because it's Star Wars-themed, that's not an auspicious beginning for a living creature you're going to share your home with.

And if, giving the kid and his dad the benefit of the doubt, they actually did their homework and concluded that a small-breed dog would be a good fit for them and made preparations to adopt one, upon finding out that the specific dog they were after had gotten a family already, a reasonable next step would be to look at other small dogs, not jump to a cat because it's also fucking Star Wars-themed, despite a cat being an entirely different type of pet with its own requirements, benefits, and drawbacks.

I can't look at this commercial as harmless fun because, like breeds getting more popular when they're featured in a movie, this kind of behavior gets real animals hurt. Pets are not impulse buys. Gahhhhh.

I would say neither. I'm a Trekkie too.

It is an odd commercial for me because something just doesn't look right about the animals, like they are cgi.  And you just know that the photo of chewie dog would have been all over the place and the dog gone almost immediately.  It is a little surprising that the dog had not already been adopted because it looked like it did.

One does hope that there was a discussion about having a pet and the research into what would be best for them.  It would have been better if the kid saw another dog to adopt but I would bet they were going for the horrible cliche of cats being on the dark side.

• Love 1