Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Well, yeah, but she WENT TO WORK with the flu. As a teacher. (Although it's possible she went to work not knowing she had the flu.)

I don't know how it works with teachers,I guess they get sick days but I work retail and we don't get sick days . You can use you PTO if you have any. If someone can work for you can take time off but you do not get paid. So you have a choice work sick and get paid or take time off and have a VERY small paycheck.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I don't know how it works with teachers,I guess they get sick days but I work retail and we don't get sick days . You can use you PTO if you have any. If someone can work for you can take time off but you do not get paid. So you have a choice work sick and get paid or take time off and have a VERY small paycheck.

Been there.  One of the many reasons I hated working retail.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

They're not? 

Mileage may vary 😉

or to quote from the movie Babe

There are many perfectly nice cats in the world, but every barrel has its bad apples, and it is well to heed the old adage, "Beware the bad cat bearing a grudge."

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, elle said:

And you just know that the photo of chewie dog would have been all over the place and the dog gone almost immediately.

100% true, and stuff like that is the reason this commercial falls into 'glorification of real-life bad behavior' for me instead of just a funny gimmick. Whenever a post goes around facebook of an shelter pet with a unique look or heartwarming story, the rescue org gets inundated with requests to adopt them, and my opinion is that most of those requests are made by people in the 'shouldn't own pets' category.

If you've got the physical, financial, mental, and emotional space in your life for a pet, the odds are good you've either already got one or are in the process of getting one.

If you weren't planning on doing so five minutes ago before that FB post, but now you're gung-ho for it because awwwww, you probably haven't fully grasped that you're going to need to take that animal's needs into account for the next dozen-plus years of your life.

• Love 13
4 hours ago, margol29 said:

The Bissell carpet shampoo-er commercial for pet stains. 

The lady just pours the dirty pet stained water down her kitchen sink. Just yuck! Why would you do that? Everyone knows it goes down the toilet.

It all goes to the same place. Don't you regularly clean your sink?  But then, I always thought it was icky to fill the sink with water to do the dishes - I always use a dishpan. Different ick for different folks, I guess.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Emma9 said:

If you weren't planning on doing so five minutes ago before that FB post, but now you're gung-ho for it because awwwww, you probably haven't fully grasped that you're going to need to take that animal's needs into account for the next dozen-plus years of your life.

Or in the case of *most* of my cats, at least 18.....

• Love 4
On 11/18/2019 at 1:28 PM, proserpina65 said:

Just saw the new Mercedes Benz Christmas commercial last night.  It features one of those annoying-ass 'precocious' children taking an unflattering photo of Santa while he's delivering packages to the kid's house and then using it to extort Santa into giving him a Mercedes suv for Christmas.  Gah!

Wasn't it just last year that Mercedes used an adorable puppy delaying Santa with his potty break?  Can we have that commercial again, please?

That kid is the worst. It would serve the little shit right if he gets nothing but coal for the rest of his life.

Edited by DollEyes
  • LOL 6
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, elle said:

Mileage may vary 😉

There are many perfectly nice cats in the world, but every barrel has its bad apples, and it is well to heed the old adage, "Beware the bad cat bearing a grudge."

A billion years of tiger DNA ready to pounce.

• LOL 18
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, elle said:

Mileage may vary 😉

That reminds me of one of the dog food commercials I think Blue Buffalo a few years back use to say in their commercial that your dog is descendent of wolves. I'm pretty sure my dog at the time thought she was a wolf or something even more badass and tough then one. She was always on the hunt, watching everything in house and out of the house, appointing herself as neighborhood watch, ready to attack any time she thought it was warranted. Which was most of the time.  

• Love 6

The LG InstaView with Craft Ice "I'm a baller" commercial.  Don't palm my ice cube and drop it in my drink (hey, look at all the surface area that this ice cube has to hold on to your sweat, dirt and germs!).  That is gross.  If you aren't using a dispenser, use a tool.

• Love 17
On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:36 PM, Ashforth said:

Pharmaceutical companies like Bayer (which, by the way, has ties to "research" done in Nazi Germany), Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, and others, run these supposedly feel-good ads claiming they are all about making people's lives better to offset the bad publicity from lawsuits that reveal that they actually manufacture and sell, sell, sell products that are harmful. They know of the harm the drugs cause and conceal it to get FDA approval and then use questionable (to put it mildly) techniques to sell the products to the public and to doctors. So when you have things like multi-million dollar jury verdicts against these kinds of companies for knowingly causing harm to people for profit, they flood the market with ads about how compassionate and wonderful they are.

Right!  Like Dow Chemical and Agent Orange.  I believe Bayer used concentration camp victims to work in some of their factories.  I was shocked to hear about all the ovarian cancer claims from talcum powder.  We were raised to put that stuff all over ourselves after a shower or bath.    

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

The LG InstaView with Craft Ice "I'm a baller" commercial.  Don't palm my ice cube and drop it in my drink (hey, look at all the surface area that this ice cube has to hold on to your sweat, dirt and germs!).  That is gross.  If you aren't using a dispenser, use a tool.

That commercial has been making me irrationally angry for a while. If you're buying a refrigerator solely based on the fact that it makes craft ice, you need to evaluate your life. You can buy ice trays at Target that make ice in all kinds of shapes.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, mmecorday said:

That commercial has been making me irrationally angry for a while. If you're buying a refrigerator solely based on the fact that it makes craft ice, you need to evaluate your life. You can buy ice trays at Target that make ice in all kinds of shapes.

I have an LG fridge that I have despised since it was installed more than 10 years ago.  The through-the-door ice dispenser quit working (along with other issues) and I was told it would cost $800 to replace the door.  Needless to say we reach into the ice bin.  But I can't tell you how long I've wanted to replace this demon... mainly because of the ice cube.  So I can sort of relate to wanting a fridge because it makes ice.

• Love 1

This should probably go under the "scratch head" thread, but it also starting to get on my nerves, so I'll post here.

La Deia in the Dovato commercial.  

She definitely has a wonderful albeit normal life.  Work birthday surprise, lunching with friends, moving into a new place,  What's with the book she brings to the restaurant and then also unpacks at the new place?  I'm not getting the significance.  (if there is any)

10 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

La Deia in the Dovato commercial.  

She definitely has a wonderful albeit normal life.  Work birthday surprise, lunching with friends, moving into a new place,  What's with the book she brings to the restaurant and then also unpacks at the new place?  I'm not getting the significance.  (if there is any)

You got me curious, so I looked up the commercial.  The book is called Heroes on Film, and I figured she wrote it (there is no author name on the cover that I can see), but it's a little weird that she didn't say "my writing" when she was listing all the things there are to her besides her HIV.  But the book cover is seen in that collage of things that make her who she is.  So, in the absence of any other explanation, I'm going to assume she wrote it.

• Love 1

The Perdue commercial where the owner tells all those kids there's vegetables in the chicken nuggets. Good job, Dude, that'll totally make the kids want them now. I also wonder how many parents want to punch him for ruining the peace they had kids happily eating something they liked but did not know there were vegetables in them. It reminds me when another commercial did that for kids food I think it was Chef Boyardee a couple decades ago informing kids those yummy ravioli they were eating had a serving of vegetables in them. Why would you in tell kids that? 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

The Perdue commercial where the owner tells all those kids there's vegetables in the chicken nuggets. Good job, Dude, that'll totally make the kids want them now. I also wonder how many parents want to punch him for ruining the peace they had kids happily eating something they liked but did not know there were vegetables in them. It reminds me when another commercial did that for kids food I think it was Chef Boyardee a couple decades ago informing kids those yummy ravioli they were eating had a serving of vegetables in them. Why would you in tell kids that? 

Plus I hate that smug little brat at the beginning. You just know he learned that attitude from his old man.

• Love 5

There's a Chevy ad (because of course it's a Chevy ad) on high rotation that ends with a woman giving the most fake giggle ever.  I haven't paid enough attention to the rest of it to know what's coming, or I'd mute it every time.  I hate that fake giggle.

• Love 6

"Iwantmydingding! Iwantmydingding! Iwantmydingding! Iwantmydingding! Iwantmydingding! Iwantmydingding! Iwantmydingding! Iwantmydingding! Iwantmydingding! Iwantmydingding! ... " etc. 

I don't know what they're actually saying and I don't care. Something to do with iPhones. This thing is a frigging war crime. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

"Iwantmydingding! Iwantmydingding! Iwantmydingding! Iwantmydingding! Iwantmydingding! Iwantmydingding! Iwantmydingding! Iwantmydingding! Iwantmydingding! Iwantmydingding! ... " etc. 

I don't know what they're actually saying and I don't care. Something to do with iPhones. This thing is a frigging war crime. 

Oh God, that just came on - first time I've heard it, and I about hurt myself hitting the mute button.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Browncoat said:

There's a Chevy ad (because of course it's a Chevy ad) on high rotation that ends with a woman giving the most fake giggle ever.  I haven't paid enough attention to the rest of it to know what's coming, or I'd mute it every time.  I hate that fake giggle.

If that's the same one where she shakes while she's doing it, I can't stand it either.

• Love 3
On 11/20/2019 at 2:05 AM, Emma9 said:

In a similar vein to the 'some people just shouldn't have pets' discussion a few pages back, but in reverse - if your only motivation for getting a dog is because it's Star Wars-themed, that's not an auspicious beginning for a living creature you're going to share your home with.

And if, giving the kid and his dad the benefit of the doubt, they actually did their homework and concluded that a small-breed dog would be a good fit for them and made preparations to adopt one, upon finding out that the specific dog they were after had gotten a family already, a reasonable next step would be to look at other small dogs, not jump to a cat because it's also fucking Star Wars-themed, despite a cat being an entirely different type of pet with its own requirements, benefits, and drawbacks.

I can't look at this commercial as harmless fun because, like breeds getting more popular when they're featured in a movie, this kind of behavior gets real animals hurt. Pets are not impulse buys. Gahhhhh.

I am glad I'm not the only person who felt annoyed by that ad for "Chewbacca Dog" that the brat pestered his father into getting him. Was that a dog that really resembled Chewbacca or enhanced?  Something looked wrong about it.

On 11/20/2019 at 1:52 PM, margol29 said:

The Bissell carpet shampoo-er commercial for pet stains. 

The lady just pours the dirty pet stained water down her kitchen sink. Just yuck! Why would you do that? Everyone knows it goes down the toilet.

It all goes to the same place. On a related note,  they say the kitchen sink is dirtier than the toilet.

On 11/22/2019 at 10:01 AM, hoosiermommy said:

I think I saw this and was reminded of Heather from RHoOC bragging about her oh-so-very-expensive ice cube dispenser. 🙄

On 11/23/2019 at 9:49 PM, andromeda331 said:

Does the flour in the breading for that count as a serving of vegetables?  

• LOL 4
20 hours ago, Browncoat said:

There's a Chevy ad (because of course it's a Chevy ad) on high rotation that ends with a woman giving the most fake giggle ever.

Every execution in this campaign makes me wonder the same thing: What weasel-word language are they using, that they were able to get past the lawyers, that allows them to say these are real people when every fibre of my being says they're not real people?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Every execution in this campaign makes me wonder the same thing: What weasel-word language are they using, that they were able to get past the lawyers, that allows them to say these are real people when every fibre of my being says they're not real people?

I mean, they aren't robots.  Actors are real people, too.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Oh wonderful. Taco Bell’s sunset heart hands commercial is back. Push her off the cliff, dude. Not a jury in the world would convict you. 

Noooooooo..... ::runs away from the TV screaming::  Guess I'll just have to DVR *everything* except hockey in order to avoid that POS. 

• LOL 6
6 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Noooooooo..... ::runs away from the TV screaming::  Guess I'll just have to DVR *everything* except hockey in order to avoid that POS. 

Quoting myself because apparently I can't even avoid this commercial while I watch hockey. #$&*#  !!!

• LOL 1

There's an ad for Dominion Energy that really bothers me. A toddler is lying in her crib, notices a light on across the room, climbs out of the crib, walks across and touches the light, then walks back & climbs up & into the crib. This might only be playing in the VA area. Watching that toddler climbing over the crib rail makes me grind my teeth.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

There's an ad for Dominion Energy that really bothers me. A toddler is lying in her crib, notices a light on across the room, climbs out of the crib, walks across and touches the light, then walks back & climbs up & into the crib. This might only be playing in the VA area. Watching that toddler climbing over the crib rail makes me grind my teeth.

My husband hates the Dominion Energy commercial touting how they hire veterans, showing a daughter wearing her Dad’s DE hat while he is on reserve duty. My husband says the greedy power company is exploiting veterans. I’m kind of meh on it. If hiring veterans is a priority,then good for them, but I don’t know enough about the company to know if that’s the case.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Ashforth said:

So, so sad every time I hear the Beatles' "Come Together" in the Amazon commercial. 😢

I also feel that way when I hear "This is me" being used to sell TGIF(I think) apps.

• Love 3
On 11/25/2019 at 2:23 AM, Ubiquitous said:

Does the flour in the breading for that count as a serving of vegetables?  

No.  Flour is considered a grain, but if it's white flour it's a refined grain, and if it's whole wheat flour it's considered a whole grain.

Long spiel about flour that I spent entirely too much time on yesterday composing a reply to your tongue in cheek question.  Hidden under spoilers so you don't have to read it.

Spoiler

The process of making white flour removes the bran and germ, which also removes fiber, B vitamins, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese and selenium.  Some nutrients are added back in, making it 'enriched', but not all of them.  It does make the flour last longer on the shelf and is more easily digested by many people.

Whole wheat flour is a better bet nutritionally, but it has a shorter shelf life, because the healthy fats in whole wheat flour are still present, and go bad quicker.  As a result, many people keep it in the freezer or buy it in smaller amounts.  It can also be more difficult to digest, but often that is a short term problem that time will fix as the body gets used to the increased fiber.  

The process of making white flour removes the bran and germ, which also removes fiber, B vitamins, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese and selenium.  Some nutrients are added back in, but not all of them.  It does make the flour last longer on the shelf and is more easily digested by many people.

Whole wheat flour is a better bet nutritionally, but it has a shorter shelf life, because the healthy fats in whole wheat flour are still present, and go bad quicker.  As a result, many people keep it in the freezer or buy it in smaller amounts.  It can also be more difficult to digest, but often that is a short term problem that time will fix as the body gets used to the increased fiber.

Many people note that whole wheat flour tastes 'bitter'.  That's because it still contains tannin, or ferulic acid, which is removed when making white flour.  Too bad, because it's pretty darned healthy, but we're not used to it these days so we don't like it.  Whole wheat flour also can make foods feel more chewy or heavy.  Again, it's different from what many of us were raised on, so we don't like it.  

If you want to switch from white flour to whole grain when you're cooking, you need to make adjustments.  To substitute whole wheat flour for white flour, use 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour for every cup of white flour that your recipe calls for.  Also, add 2 teaspoons of liquid, like water or milk, for every 1 cup of whole wheat flour you use so your recipe doesn't turn out too dry.

There's also other flours, such as rice (grain), coconut (not a nut, but a drupe, safe for most people with nut allergies, and gluten-free), quinoa (grain, gluten-free), almond (a nut, gluten-free), oat (grain, gluten free), and rye (grain, not gluten-free).  There are other flours, they all have different properties, tastes, and the types of food preparation they work best in, but I'm not going to go into them here. I'm not a nutritionist, just pulled all this off the internet.  I'm bored and this gave me something to do.

Don't even get me started on how the tiny amount of tomato paste on a slice of pizza is allowed to be considered an entire serving of vegetables.

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
On 11/23/2019 at 6:49 PM, andromeda331 said:

Whoever wrote this ad just cannot possibly have kids of their own. First time I saw it, I yelled, “Rookie mistake!” at the TV. May have yelled that every single time since also. 

Edited by Calamity Jane
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Calamity Jane said:

Whoever wrote this ad just cannot possibly have kids of their own. First time I saw it, I yelled, “Rookie mistake!” at the TV. May have yelled that every single time since also. 

True.  And who allows their kid to shout at them?  "I don't LIKE vegetables!".  I just despise the way children are being portrayed these days, AND their mealy-mouthed parents.

• Love 14

Hobby Lobby is a trash company, so it’s fitting it has trash commercials. The one that has earned my ire is where a teenage boy has been leaving his dirty dishes and laundry around waiting for his (implied) single mother who is also a nurse to get around to cleaning up after him. So he goes to HL to buy Christmas decorations, dolls up the living room, and gives his mother a present: his clean dishes and laundry washed and folded in the basket with a ribbon wrapped around it. “Merry Christmas Mom! Your present is me cleaning up after myself like the able-boded teenager I am!”

The only way this might not be as bad is if it was implied that him learning how to be the adult he’s on the cusp of being is the new normal and he’ll be regularly doing dishes and laundry and taking some of the burden off of his mother. Otherwise, it just says, “I did what you, the woman of the house, is supposed to be doing for me, Merry Christmas.”

• Love 22
41 minutes ago, Automne said:

Hobby Lobby is a trash company, so it’s fitting it has trash commercials. The one that has earned my ire is where a teenage boy has been leaving his dirty dishes and laundry around waiting for his (implied) single mother who is also a nurse to get around to cleaning up after him. So he goes to HL to buy Christmas decorations, dolls up the living room, and gives his mother a present: his clean dishes and laundry washed and folded in the basket with a ribbon wrapped around it. “Merry Christmas Mom! Your present is me cleaning up after myself like the able-boded teenager I am!”

The only way this might not be as bad is if it was implied that him learning how to be the adult he’s on the cusp of being is the new normal and he’ll be regularly doing dishes and laundry and taking some of the burden off of his mother. Otherwise, it just says, “I did what you, the woman of the house, is supposed to be doing for me, Merry Christmas.”

Hobby Lobby and Chick-fil-A will never see one penny of my money, for the same reason. I will not support homophobic businesses. 

• Love 17
32 minutes ago, Automne said:

THIS! A kid that age should be doing his own laundry and washing his own dishes. And if he's old enough to drive, he should be running errands.

• Love 15
On 11/24/2019 at 11:19 AM, Browncoat said:

Gah!! You mean the idiot who says "I'm gonna go buy a Chevy (irritating giggle)" ??

• Love 8

I just looked up the Hobby Lobby commercial and agree it's awful (I wouldn't expect anything else), but what the hell is the son pawning in that one scene?  It looks like a gun, but not even Hobby Lobby would go there.

• Love 2