Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, lh25 said:

I also feel that way when I hear "This is me" being used to sell TGIF(I think) apps.

It's Applebee's, and I hate it.  The ad, not the song.

1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

Gah!! You mean the idiot who says "I'm gonna go buy a Chevy (irritating giggle)" ??

Yes!  And I've seen it three times since I turned on my television about 30 minutes ago!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I just looked up the Hobby Lobby commercial and agree it's awful (I wouldn't expect anything else), but what the hell is the son pawning in that one scene?  It looks like a gun, but not even Hobby Lobby would go there.

I agree it really looks like gun.  I wonder if it's his game controller?

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, lh25 said:

I wonder if it's his game controller?

That's what it looks like to me. There were two pieces, one sort of gun-shaped, and the other one of those things with two small joysticks, to play different types of games.

Now, if I were producing that commercial, I would have gone all "The Gift of the Magi" on it, and had Mom skimp and save to buy him some video game he really wanted that he can't play now since he pawned the controllers.

Edited by Moose135
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

I debated whether this should go under annoying or head-scratching. Decided on annoying because car commercial, ya' know.

The lincoln commercial with the woman coming home then retreating to her car for sanity was first shown with the early arrival of her parents and their yoga goats.  That one intrigues me because I want to know how the shoot went with the goats and the dog.  Now there are two new ones using the same framing device.  Is the woman having a recurring nightmare where she is reliving the same day coming home to find a different scenario of chaos in her home?

• LOL 5

The whole campaign for Heineken's new non alcholic beer annoys me (Another one features a guy drinking one in front of his boss.) Because they seem to be about a bunch of A Holes who revel in "sticking it to the man". Oh, you thought I was drinking a real beer? Jokes on you!

But this ad is really stupid. No sticker on a beer bottle is going to stop a police officer from demanding you step out of your car for a field sobriety/breathalyzer test.

Have fun with that dude. Hope you enjoyed your "beer".

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 10

Now this commercial is one for me that definitely fits in this category.  The Fidelity commercial with the extremely photogenic family walking through an airport - mom and dad followed by twin daughters followed by little brother who just happens to have his arm over his face.  Great way to lose that kid.  One parent in front to lead the way and one bringing up the rear to make sure all the kids stay together is the common sense option especially in a crowded place like an airport.

• Love 4

On the ID channel is an ad for Sunny Hostin "Truth about Murder" tv show. She talks about her show and at one point mentions how she gets the "enTIIIIIIIRE story." They show this ad ALLLLLLLLLTHE FUCKING time on that channel and unfortunately it is a channel I binge watch except for HER SHOW because I HATE HER SAYING THAT.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I've never seen the entire Hobby Lobby commercial. I've only seen the short version that has mom checking out at work while kid is signing the gift tag. She comes home & he stands there & shrugs. And I'm wonder WTH??? But then, it's Hobby Lobby, which doesn't even sell *anything* Hanukkah related because it's not, y'know, Christian.  Only Xians are allowed to have hobbies.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've never seen the entire Hobby Lobby commercial. I've only seen the short version that has mom checking out at work while kid is signing the gift tag. She comes home & he stands there & shrugs. And I'm wonder WTH??? But then, it's Hobby Lobby, which doesn't even sell *anything* Hanukkah related because it's not, y'know, Christian.  Only Xians are allowed to have hobbies.

Not true. A simple search for "Hanukkah" on the HL website turns up 30 Hanukkah related items. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I see the commercial where the man buys the two trucks, with the woman selecting the red one, is back again.  Noooo!

On the bright side, I saw the Hershey Kisses commercial for the first time this year.  I don't care how old it is, I still love it.

Edited by shlbycindyk
Decided to say something else.
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

For some reason the woman in the Domino's commercial the says "We're going to be expediting this order." makes me irrationally angry.

lol. YES!  I'm so sure the Domino's outlets are all "expediting" free pies out the door as though they are hospital emergency rooms or something.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Have we discussed the bizarre car ad (Subaru I think?) with the dad playing with his little girl who nearly backs into the kitchen garbage can but is saved by the back up alert on her ride-on toy and then the same thing happens to dad when he's backing out of the driveway in his big boy toy?  All three of the people in this ad are weird.  The looks the mom shoots at dad as though backing into the kitchen garbage can would be cataclysmic.  The bizarre over the top laughing of dad and daughter.  just weird.  Thank goodness for technology that can finally save us from the devastating scourge of accidental garbage can collisions...

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, shlbycindyk said:

I see the commercial where the man buys the two trucks, with the woman selecting the red one, is back again.  Noooo!

On the bright side, I saw the Hershey Kisses commercial for the first time this year.  I don't care how old it is, I still love it.

I thought she selected the black one?

• Love 1
On 11/19/2019 at 9:34 PM, Pickles said:

The Jimmy Dean commercials which seem to be running constantly. Isn't it a little creeptastic that Jimmy Dean is dead, yet they still use his voice to sell his products? I would never buy his products anyway, but I just find it really off putting.

especially where he says for breakfast he needs something to "warm his whole body up."  I bet you do, Jimmy.

• LOL 19
  • Love 5

I just looked up the Hobby Lobby commercial and agree it's awful (I wouldn't expect anything else), but what the hell is the son pawning in that one scene?  It looks like a gun, but not even Hobby Lobby would go there.

I'm so distracted by the fact that the kid looks like an adolescent Norman Bates.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

Have we discussed the bizarre car ad (Subaru I think?) with the dad playing with his little girl who nearly backs into the kitchen garbage can but is saved by the back up alert on her ride-on toy and then the same thing happens to dad when he's backing out of the driveway in his big boy toy?  All three of the people in this ad are weird.  The looks the mom shoots at dad as though backing into the kitchen garbage can would be cataclysmic.  The bizarre over the top laughing of dad and daughter.  just weird.  Thank goodness for technology that can finally save us from the devastating scourge of accidental garbage can collisions...

He needs an alarm to remind him he was stupid and put the trash can where he was going to be backing out in the car instead of putting it to the side of the driveway like anyone who's not stupid does? What so no alarm he just keeps running over trash cans? What is it to easy to show us someone who's not an idiot using the alarm? Its like the one where the woman comes out of her house, goes and gets in her car and starts to back out all without ever looking around to see if anyone is coming. Then shocked, shocked when the alarm alerts her that someone is coming. Thank God for the alarm or she would have killed someone. I mean yes the guy should have been paying attention. Suburu really thinks this is what's going to sell the car?

• Love 3
On 11/26/2019 at 1:28 PM, Bastet said:

Yup, it's a gun.  Maybe it's a water gun or oversized gun-shaped cigarette lighter?

4 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

He needs an alarm to remind him he was stupid and put the trash can where he was going to be backing out in the car instead of putting it to the side of the driveway like anyone who's not stupid does? What so no alarm he just keeps running over trash cans? What is it to easy to show us someone who's not an idiot using the alarm? Its like the one where the woman comes out of her house, goes and gets in her car and starts to back out all without ever looking around to see if anyone is coming. Then shocked, shocked when the alarm alerts her that someone is coming. Thank God for the alarm or she would have killed someone. I mean yes the guy should have been paying attention. Suburu really thinks this is what's going to sell the car?

My conspiracy theory is that the car manufacturers are trying to brainwash the great unwashed masses into relying on idiot alarms and lane-change prevention technology so we'll all be comfortable when self-driving cars hit the road en masse.  I'm still waiting for the flyings The Jetsons cars!

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

I bought a new car this year specifically for the new technology they have. I'm 69 and can use all the help I can get. I love my back-up camera and other enhancements. I also got a built in GPS for the 1st time, even though they've been around for many years. I used to use Google Maps on my phone, but my car's GPS is better. It's the best car I've ever owned. If you could marry a car, I'd marry my new one.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 11/27/2019 at 1:16 AM, shlbycindyk said:

I just keep wondering how rich are these people? Either he didn't need to trade-in her vehicle, he did so without her knowledge/permission, or they now own 3+ (I somehow doubt she didn't already have a vehicle).

Edited by QQQQ
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, QQQQ said:

I just keep wondering how rich are these people? Either he didn't need to trade-in her vehicle, he did so without her knowledge/permission, or they now own 3+ (I somehow doubt she didn't already have a vehicle).

Pretty frickin rich, considering that the husband dropped $100K for those two vehicles. As a Christmas gift. 

And why didn't the wife wrap her Christmas gift --- the watch --- to her husband? Who doesn't wrap Christmas presents? 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Pretty frickin rich, considering that the husband dropped $100K for those two vehicles. As a Christmas gift. 

And why didn't the wife wrap her Christmas gift --- the watch --- to her husband? Who doesn't wrap Christmas presents? 

At our house Santa didn't wrap but those people are a little old for that.

• Love 2

Just when we thought we'd be rid of the annoying Peloton commercials - the one where the husband surprises his already slender and fit wife with one for Christmas where she proceeds to chronicle her year long journey of change. 

Barring internal health issues to which the machine may have helped during her year of change, her physique didn't.  Really, Peloton - a better ad campaign would've gotten someone with some visible body fat to lose, have them document themselves for a year and use their story for the commercial.  Not some chick you can't seem to pinch an inch on.

• LOL 4
  • Love 19

The commercial with the catty bitch who comments on her date's tshirt with the ridiculously stretched out collar is back. 

Seems to me she's pretty damn polite considering what a loser this guy is. He left the house with that shirt on? For a date? Doesn't he have mirrors at home? No wonder he's single.

The All State Mayhem commercials have official run their course. The one where he's your cat was actually pretty funny, but the last two are just dumb. The elf on the shelf one - what? How is an elf on the shelf mayhem? And the one where he's Tina Fey's mother in law - I guess I see the humor but, again, how is that actually "mayhem?" He used to go around smashing windows and crashing cars and stuff. That's mayhem. Just being goofy isn't. 

These ad agencies have run too many of these campaigns into the ground. Mayhem, Progressive's Flo, and, for God's sake, the Charmin Bears, all need to be retired.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 11/28/2019 at 10:26 AM, QQQQ said:

The last shot of the cars show them in front a building with hugely tall windows. Is that their house? I bet they have a Peloton on every floor, too!

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Seems to me she's pretty damn polite considering what a loser this guy is. He left the house with that shirt on? For a date? Doesn't he have mirrors at home? No wonder he's single.

And it’s not just a date it’s a first date.  Y’know, the one where you might actually want to make a good impression.  At least wear a shirt with a collar.

• Love 11
On 11/26/2019 at 5:52 PM, xaxat said:

The whole campaign for Heineken's new non alcholic beer annoys me (Another one features a guy drinking one in front of his boss.) Because they seem to be about a bunch of A Holes who revel in "sticking it to the man". Oh, you thought I was drinking a real beer? Jokes on you!

But this ad is really stupid. No sticker on a beer bottle is going to stop a police officer from demanding you step out of your car for a field sobriety/breathalyzer test.

Have fun with that dude. Hope you enjoyed your "beer".

Right??? New ad scenario - some doofus will pour real beer in a Heiny bottle all night, crash into a tree, and like hold it up to a cop "shee itsh a Hiney!" and the cop's gonna smack his forehead and be all "Doh'! You got me bro!" rips up tickets and tosses cuffs over his shoulder. Audience: HA HA HA.

Reality check: not gonna end like that.

Stupid commercials.

• Love 4
On 10/21/2019 at 8:56 AM, Ashforth said:

Yes, I found that at a certain age, I just stopped caring about the relentless pressure on women to be skinny, use makeup, agonize over our hair, wear crippling high heels, and always be "sexy" in any given situation.

I feel sorry for that old lady who can't allow herself to relax. But damn, she is smug. It irritates.

That’s Elon Musk’s mother

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, ctlady said:

Just when we thought we'd be rid of the annoying Peloton commercials - the one where the husband surprises his already slender and fit wife with one for Christmas where she proceeds to chronicle her year long journey of change. 

Barring internal health issues to which the machine may have helped during her year of change, her physique didn't.  Really, Peloton - a better ad campaign would've gotten someone with some visible body fat to lose, have them document themselves for a year and use their story for the commercial.  Not some chick you can't seem to pinch an inch on.

Fat people use a Peleton? The horror! How would they be able to peddle the pretentiousness and elitism if some fat ass member of the hoi polloi used a Peleton? 

• Love 6
On 11/19/2019 at 4:47 PM, Colleenna said:

Well, yeah, but she WENT TO WORK with the flu. As a teacher. (Although it's possible she went to work not knowing she had the flu.)

I have a friend that is a teacher in nyc at a charter school and she told me horror stories about having to teach when super sick - like in the middle of a lesson she had to excuse herself to go puke in the restroom and then return to finish the lesson/day. I think they had a very limited amount of sick days and days off. So lots of the teachers were teaching while super ill.  Of course the little buggers that they taught were germ factories, so .....

• Love 2

On the old people/cheap channels, don't get a lot of car commercials, a few, but not every commercial break, I guess the old people and others who watch the cheap antenna channels can't afford many new cars. I'm ok with that. But why do we get so many exercise equipment and plan ads? The Beach Body guy's back on, about a month too early, but now he has apps he's selling. As if the old people know what an app is or how to use one, lol. I'm really hating the Peloton with the self absorbed ninny who thinks the world is watching her vlog to see her exercise. I hate this broadcast your life thing that so many people seem to think is necessary. I don't even take pictures of my dinner! But won't this trend of vloging your life lead to something like The Truman Show? Or at least I think that's the movie I'm thinking about, with Jim Carrey's life being a reality show? I don't care for Jim Carrey's movies and I think that's about the only one I've ever sat through.

• Love 7
On 11/17/2019 at 1:42 AM, andromeda331 said:

That's what I hate about those. They either show the parents being completely stupid or the kids being spoiled brats. The Mom chasing after her daughter and the daughter tells her she's full. Why is she forcing her to eat more if she's full. The kid that pretends faint because their having fish and he gets rewarded with tacos. So what did they just throw that big fish out? The only one I've ever liked was the one with the kids not eating their veggies and it switches to their veggies covered with cheese. That made sense. The kids were still eating their veggies and their mother didn't throw out what they were having. She just put cheese on it.  

I hate this commercial its so stupid. How is a baby dumping sauce on his/her head a sign they love Prego? My nephew dumped everything on his head whether he liked it or not as baby. I'm pretty sure I did too.  

Why not FISH tacos?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

The car commercial that shows a car approaching a gate, and wolves/dogs growling possibly to protect the property? (With annoying tinkling creepy music playing)... the gate opens the car drives up the driveway and then the wolves/dogs back down because the car is badass??

Makes me stabby. And they have run this commercial a few years in a row at xmas time.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Why is the site now center justifying everything?

I went to Jared's web site to see if I could find the necklace from the we just started dating ad. Jared's is quite proud of those ads. They feature them on their home page. That necklace costs $1,900! No wonder the dude can't afford a decent haircut.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

This one could also be double-posted in 'Seasonal/Holiday Commercials': a new Chanel Number Five perfume ad with a vaguely flapperish looking model staring at a bottle of the stuff, and cooing some nonsense about how great it is, all to a EDM-type beat. It ends with a weird electronic screech. I guess they're trying to bring this very old, classic fragrance to the attention of millennials? Personally, it just makes me change the channel, but that's OK Boomer talk, I guess.

(I do NOT like this center-justified formatting; anybody know how to change it?)

• Love 1
On 11/29/2019 at 3:15 PM, iMonrey said:

Yeah, that annoys me too, but still, that's no way to talk to him!

On 11/29/2019 at 3:15 PM, iMonrey said:

The All State Mayhem commercials have official run their course. The one where he's your cat was actually pretty funny, but the last two are just dumb. The elf on the shelf one - what? How is an elf on the shelf mayhem? And the one where he's Tina Fey's mother in law - I guess I see the humor but, again, how is that actually "mayhem?" 

Mother-in-law? He's sppsd to be her dog, unless they made a bunch more I haven't seen yet.

• Love 2