Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Never understood the popularity of any of the Channel perfumes but especially, Channel No. 5

P.U.(I don't know what that stands for but it's true!)

My mom used to wear Chanel No 5 and it smelled fabulous on her.  Not so much on me, nasty in fact.

1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

P.U.(I don't know what that stands for but it's true!)

1) It's a shortened term for puteo, which is Latin for "to stink, be redolent, or smell bad."  2) It's actually spelled "piu," but is often pronounced as "pee-yew". It's root is the Indo-European word "pu," meaning to rot or decay.

• Useful 13
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Brookside said:

Unfortunately, there are times when the giftee hasn't expressed an interest in this kind of passive aggressive gift giving.  Like when my friend's mother gave her a membership to Weight Watchers for her 16th birthday.

Early in my brother's marriage, my SIL was trying to give up smoking and for Christmas, her BFF gave her one of those things like a clutch purse to hold your cigarette pack with an exterior pocket for the lighter.  SIL eventually did give up smoking because her choice of ObGyn wouldn't accept pregnant smokers and she wanted to have a baby.  Hasn't smoked in 42 years, but that was no thanks to her BFF.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Aryanna said:

My problem with the commercial is that they just started dating. You just started dating and you're giving her a $2K necklace? That's way too serious too soon. I'd be running the other direction. I don't even know if I like you yet.

Can any other girls back me up here? Or is it just me?

Maybe I'm in the wrong tax bracket, but I've never spent that much on a piece of jewelry - I'm not sure I've spent much more than that in total on jewelry for wife/girlfriend in my life.

4 hours ago, Bastet said:

I like the interaction between the fathers and daughters in both those commercials; the teasing comes off very natural and affectionate.

I really like those two as well.

2 hours ago, Calamity Jane said:

Then there are the commercials for not just an engagement/wedding ring with not one but lots of diamonds, now there’s the “She’s your best friend” and should therefore have another diamond ring. Sheesh. 

When they first started with those "for your wife and best friend" commercials, I said "You mean you have to buy two of them?" 😉

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I suppose that this is to deflect any body-shaming accusations, because how dare you show someone overweight and suggest that there was something less than perfect about them? As someone who could definitely lose 40-50 lb myself, I think that political correctness has reached epidemic proportions and people need to get a grip!

I don't think it's a political correctness issue, at least not for me.  It's just such a laughable bunch of bs, a $3k stationary bike given as a Christmas gift to a wife, her brow scrunching earnestness/help me expression, the "video journal", etc.  It's like an SNL skit.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:57 AM, ctlady said:

Just when we thought we'd be rid of the annoying Peloton commercials - the one where the husband surprises his already slender and fit wife with one for Christmas where she proceeds to chronicle her year long journey of change. 

Barring internal health issues to which the machine may have helped during her year of change, her physique didn't.  Really, Peloton - a better ad campaign would've gotten someone with some visible body fat to lose, have them document themselves for a year and use their story for the commercial.  Not some chick you can't seem to pinch an inch on.

We're not the only people who hate that Peloton commercial.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Aryanna said:

My problem with the commercial is that they just started dating. You just started dating and you're giving her a $2K necklace? That's way too serious too soon. I'd be running the other direction. I don't even know if I like you yet.

I always think of this:

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Aryanna said:

No its not you. I say that every time it comes on. Its way too soon to be giving her a 2K necklace. I wouldn't be thrilled and I'd be wondering if I should bolt or if he's crazy. That's a lot of money to spend on a gift when you haven't been dating long. I'd be asking him why he did it and what he's thinking. His answer would decide whether I need to bolt.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

her brow scrunching earnestness/help me expression, the "video journal", etc.  It's like an SNL skit.

Not a fan of SNL, but I would definitely watch them do a skit of this.  The 'omg, I'm so scared...what if I mess up....but....here goes nothing' is completely eyeroll fodder.  One of the user comments from one of the many online articles about this yesterday said, "what's she scared of?  It's a stationary bike, not the luge"

I am confused as to where everyone is getting her weight from - and that she lost 4 lbs.  I don't remember that mentioned in the commercial, not did I perceive the video compilation at the end that she watches with her husband to have been his Christmas gift from her. 

My entire issue with the commercial is not sexism, weight/body shaming, but the fact that she biked her butt off for a year and didn't look one iota different - at least visibly.  Perhaps she got in better cardiovascular shape.  That intense type of cardio is a fat burner, not a muscle builder/shaper/toner.  Unless she didn't change her diet or ate more during the year, she should've been a skeleton after a year!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Aryanna said:

I just wonder who thought of this commercial? Who signed off on this commercial? What are they trying to accomplish with it? Are they trying to tell guys it's okay to spend that kind of money on someone you've only been dating a week or two? If so that's bad advice to the guys. 

Yeah, but that's pretty much what Jared does. I hate their commercials.

• Love 4
On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 12:53 AM, elle said:

Thank you, Maverick and SmithW6079!  It was confusing to me because it seemed as if the lights were already on. It makes no sense to me.  Why have those lights on during the morning?  So then how is that affecting the rest of the house?  I know, it is a commercial.

I know a lot of people who keep their Christmas lights on all day on Christmas.  I did when I actually put up lights.  But my take is that the Peloton zombies are draining the electricity, not powering the lights.

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 8:36 AM, Ashforth said:

Enjoy! Thank you @Haleth for the link to that article.

Yep, my reply to that 'gift' would be: So you fucking think I'm too fat?  Well apparently so is your wallet.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, ctlady said:

One of the user comments from one of the many online articles about this yesterday said, "what's she scared of?  It's a stationary bike, not the luge"

Yes, that's my only problem with it. Why does she look half-terrified in so many scenes? She's obviously an woman who's in shape and appears to be well-off. I'm sure she's done all sorts of exercise/spinning classes. Her expressions are just silly.

Relatedly, a couple of weeks ago I saw a commercial for some other brand of stationary bike. The name escapes me. But it was definitely trying to set itself apart from Peloton. They placed the bike in places where more middle-class folks tend to stick them — in the bedroom, a bonus room with kids running around, etc. One guy had his in a very unfinished basement. It was certainly a contrast. 

Re Christmas lights: When ours go on Christmas Eve, they burn all night and then through Christmas Day. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I know a lot of people who keep their Christmas lights on all day on Christmas.  I did when I actually put up lights.

and

37 minutes ago, tanyak said:

Re Christmas lights: When ours go on Christmas Eve, they burn all night and then through Christmas Day

I can see someone leaving the lights on all night, but in the commercial lights that are off are being turned back on.

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

But my take is that the Peloton zombies are draining the electricity, not powering the lights.

That was my initial take but I can now see the trope of someone cycling to generate electrical power.  Either way, if I looked out and saw the light flickering on and off in the neighborhood I would wonder what was up with the power.

17 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

That commercial with Colonel Sanders and the Mrs. Butterworth syrup bottle in a Dirty Dancing pottery wheel scene is just too weird.  I am surprised he didn't try to unscrew her cap.  I know she is a syrup bottle, but in theory isn't he getting a little too frisky with that married bottle of syrup?  And who is Mrs.  Butterworth married to?  Who is Mr. Butterworth?

I heard she was also seeing one Mr. Frank Redhot. And what of Uncle Ben? Eh, what?

• LOL 11
2 hours ago, tanyak said:

Why does she look half-terrified in so many scenes? She's obviously an woman who's in shape and appears to be well-off. I'm sure she's done all sorts of exercise/spinning classes. Her expressions are just silly.

As someone mentioned above - endorphins. Perhaps this woman has mental issues she can mitigate with big deal exercising; exercise doesn't just have to be about fat reduction & muscles.

Uncle Ben's married to Aunt Jemima, for pete's sake.  Mr. Butterworth is probably dead due to a cholesterol/diabetes problem. He probably could have used a Peloton.

• LOL 24
33 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

As someone mentioned above - endorphins. Perhaps this woman has mental issues she can mitigate with big deal exercising; exercise doesn't just have to be about fat reduction & muscles.

Uncle Ben's married to Aunt Jemima, for pete's sake.  Mr. Butterworth is probably dead due to a cholesterol/diabetes problem. He probably could have used a Peloton.

Well that's scandalous. Pfft, Uncle Ben is old enough the be Aunt Jemima's grandfather. And then you have Dr. Pepper and his neer do well younger brother Mr. Pibb. He never got his degree and his father Dr. Scholl disowned him.

• LOL 14
23 hours ago, Aryanna said:

I've said elsewhere, I like the singers and the song, but yeah, $2 K for a necklace early in a relationship is too much, a nice little $20 from Penney's or Walmart would do just fine. My ex-husband gave me diamond earrings the first Christmas we were together, but we were living together by then and getting married before the New Year. He liked to give me expensive jewelry, I'm not all that interested in it, I'd rather have a Barbie doll, which by the end of our marriage, he had figured out and that was what he gave me. I still have the Barbies, I've sold the earrings and the engagement and wedding rings, my heart diamond necklace was stolen, I lost the opal earrings, (those were my favorites). I do still have the pearl earrings, they're in a box in a drawer.

Editing to add, I'm of the generation where oranges, tangerines and shelled nuts were a treat in our Christmas stockings. I almost have a guilt, almost, but it goes away quickly when I pick up a bag of Cuties Clementines with grocerices this time of the year. And to keep it about commercials, I like Cuties better than Halos, they are usually sweeter. Must be something about the time they are picked.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I've said elsewhere, I like the singers and the song, but yeah, $2 K for a necklace early in a relationship is too much, a nice little $20 from Penney's or Walmart would do just fine. My ex-husband gave me diamond earrings the first Christmas we were together, but we were living together by then and getting married before the New Year. He liked to give me expensive jewelry, I'm not all that interested in it, I'd rather have a Barbie doll, which by the end of our marriage, he had figured out and that was what he gave me. I still have the Barbies, I've sold the earrings and the engagement and wedding rings, my heart diamond necklace was stolen, I lost the opal earrings, (those were my favorites). I do still have the pearl earrings, they're in a box in a drawer.

Are you me? We were also living together and got engaged a week later. I'm not a jewelry person either, I would rather have had a new rose bush or ornamental tree. My gold and diamond necklace got stolen as well. Of course it was my own fault. DH was in a band and we always had a lot of musicians and assorted hangers on around and I left my necklace in a little box in the bathroom. He eventually bought me another one but I don't think it's as nice.....and I should probably take this to Small Talk.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

exercise doesn't just have to be about fat reduction & muscles.

Personally, I swim to burn off the crazy. Granted, it's only a temporary fix, but at least for eight hours after a swim, I'm safe to be around. 😉

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

THE MOST ANNOYING COMMERCIAL IS HILTON...DARK HAIR WOMAN WITH LONG BROWN HAIR. SHE DOES NOT HAVE A CLASSY LOOK NOR DOES SHE SOUND MATURE. I WOULD EXPECT HILTON TO HAVE SOMEONE ELEGANT AND SOPHISTICATED. THAT GIRL IS SKINNY AND VERY CHILDISH LOOKING. SCRIPT IS HORRIBLE. "I CAN READ MINDS . . . REALLY?".  COME ON HILTON, IS THIS THE BEST YOU CAN DO. I WOULD NOT WANT TO STAY AT YOUR HOTEL. YOU NEED A MORE CLASSY COMMERCIAL. GET RID OF THIS GIRL. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My husband says he read an article that said since all the publicity trashing the Peleton commercials, their stock has dropped 9%. I wonder how much longer they'll be running those ads.

Yes, that was reported on the news last night.

7 hours ago, CM6 said:

THE MOST ANNOYING COMMERCIAL IS HILTON...DARK HAIR WOMAN WITH LONG BROWN HAIR. SHE DOES NOT HAVE A CLASSY LOOK NOR DOES SHE SOUND MATURE. I WOULD EXPECT HILTON TO HAVE SOMEONE ELEGANT AND SOPHISTICATED. THAT GIRL IS SKINNY AND VERY CHILDISH LOOKING. SCRIPT IS HORRIBLE. "I CAN READ MINDS . . . REALLY?".  COME ON HILTON, IS THIS THE BEST YOU CAN DO. I WOULD NOT WANT TO STAY AT YOUR HOTEL. YOU NEED A MORE CLASSY COMMERCIAL. GET RID OF THIS GIRL. 

Do you mean Anna Kendrick?  I don't like her or the commercials either but she's a pretty well known actress.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, elle said:

I can see someone leaving the lights on all night, but in the commercial lights that are off are being turned back on.

I'll have to watch it again (I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunities, unfortunately) because I thought they were already on, but were flickering - you know, due to the immense drain on the power grid caused by all those Pelotons.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, tanyak said:

Relatedly, a couple of weeks ago I saw a commercial for some other brand of stationary bike. The name escapes me. But it was definitely trying to set itself apart from Peloton. They placed the bike in places where more middle-class folks tend to stick them — in the bedroom, a bonus room with kids running around, etc. One guy had his in a very unfinished basement. It was certainly a contrast. 

I think that might be Nordic Track.

16 hours ago, friendperidot said:

And to keep it about commercials, I like Cuties better than Halos, they are usually sweeter. Must be something about the time they are picked.

They do tend to be slightly smaller than Halos.  I like them because they're usually a little less expensive then Halos.  I just googled, because I was curious about the difference between mandarins and clementines, and learned that clementines are one type of mandarin; apparently tangerines are also mandarins.  Who knew?

12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My husband says he read an article that said since all the publicity trashing the Peleton commercials, their stock has dropped 9%. I wonder how much longer they'll be running those ads.

I read a similar article on CNN's website.  Analysts don't really think the drop has much to do with the commercials since their stock has fluctuated a lot, but it did talk about how Peloton says they've gotten a lot of emails with positive feedback.  Somehow I doubt there've been more of those than critical ones.

• Useful 2

I like Hilton properties. I always look for them over other chains. The breakfast buffet at Hampton Inn is good, including fruit smoothies. And Double Tree - chocolate chip cookies - yum! Their app is very convenient. They have better prices than booking sites.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
On 12/3/2019 at 10:43 AM, Brookside said:

L'Oreal Revitalift.  The spokesperson refers to her dermatologist as "my derm."  What kind of pretentious git does that?

The one who gets a Peloton for Christmas and vlogs about her rides for the next year.

On 12/3/2019 at 12:57 PM, ctlady said:

As much as I loathe all the Peloton commercials in general - this was especially - I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that perhaps the wife had been 'hinting' she wanted one, and her hub surprised her with one.  Even if it were an overweight woman (or man) who had confided with their spouse that they wanted to lose a few pounds and shape up by working out or running in the morning, but live in an area that isn't too kind in the winter time for a morning/evening run - so spouse surprises them with a Peloton as a way to get their cardio indoors.  I see nothing rude or insulting receiving this as a gift if the gifter knew the giftee would really appreciate it.  I've been on the hunt for a cheap bench/barbell set for the last two years so if my hub surprised me by scoring one at a garage sale I'd be psyched.

What I particularly dislike about this new one is the fact they used an already fit and trim giftee who - after a year - didn't look much different, but claimed her journey to change was amazing.  And her 'okay, I'm scared, but let's do this' before her first ride makes my eyes roll.  It's a bike, honey, not a mountain climb without a harness

I'd rather see an overweight person getting up at 6 am or coming home after work and getting on the bike before supper.  People exercise for a number of reasons (enjoyment, a way to blow off steam, keep a healthy heart, etc) but let's be honest - the main reason is to lose weight so show me someone (man or woman) with weight to lose sweating on that thing and their dramatic change after a year.  If the commercial was done with care and consideration, I would find that so much more inspiring

I agree. I'm willing to give the husband the benefit of the doubt and say he bought the bike because his wife was hinting she wanted one and if he didn't spend $3000 (plus online classes), she would make his life miserable. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

What went on at the ad meeting for Folgers?  Are they trying to be "edgy"? They really should have leaned hard into the built in nostalgia factor they had before these awful commercials.

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I commented on this a few pages back. Look, I get it. He's a typical "overly protective dad" and it's supposed to be cute and all, but seriously: all he did was ask the guy's name, after spending what had to be at least a half hour on the phone with her helping her fix a meal. And didn't even ask until the very end of the call. That's not being overly intrusive in my book.

Which is why I hope the bitch winds up on Dateline as the victim of a serial killer, and when Keith Morrison interviews her dad, he'll say "I don't know, she wouldn't even tell me his name."

I was with you til the end. Seems a bit harsh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

but seriously: all he did was ask the guy's name, after spending what had to be at least a half hour on the phone with her helping her fix a meal.

Yes, and all she did, after thanking him, was give a good-natured groan of "Dad" when he asked the guy's name.  It's in the same spirit of his "What have you done?" and "That's a duck?" - and of "What's his name" itself, said in a tone that plays to me like he's teasing because he knows he's not going to get an answer, that this is something they do.  It's how they interact, and includes their shared smile at his story of her mom burning duck once, too.  I like it.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Which is why I hope the bitch winds up on Dateline as the victim of a serial killer, and when Keith Morrison interviews her dad, he'll say "I don't know, she wouldn't even tell me his name."

Even if it is snotty and rude, though, it hardly calls for a gender slur and wishing her murdered.

• Love 19

I think the Peloton commercial would have been much better if the wife had simply exclaimed, "Ooooh, just what I wanted!"  Also, the actress has these big, sad-looking eyes which makes it seem like she's desperately trying so hard to please her husband.  I think another, more cheerful-looking actress would have also made the commercial better. 

• Love 13

Christmas music and car commercials.  Wonder how long this torture device will go on into January.  Cadillac and the jingle bells song with the same instrumental line being played over and over again with the slapping sleigh bells. Enough of that commercial,  cant mute it fast enough 

• Love 4
On 12/4/2019 at 7:26 AM, Haleth said:

The Peloton controversy made the NBC Nightly News last night.

On 12/4/2019 at 9:00 AM, tanyak said:

And the Washington Post! Hilarious.

An article in the New York Times called the commercial sexist and dystopian, said there have been comparisons between it and Black Mirror, which I've heard of but never watched. Though I did get a kick out of the article noting that the woman in the ad is already fit and thin. Because.....uh huh. I want to know where ya'll were a few years ago when Alyssa Milano was shilling diet products.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yes, and all she did, after thanking him, was give a good-natured groan of "Dad" when he asked the guy's name.  It's in the same spirit of his "What have you done?" and "That's a duck?" - and of "What's his name" itself, said in a tone that plays to me like he's teasing because he knows he's not going to get an answer, that this is something they do.  It's how they interact, and includes their shared smile at his story of her mom burning duck once, too.  I like it.

That "might" be how they interact but my problem with her is that I don't understand her issue about not telling her dad the guy's name.  What's the big deal?  All she had to do is give a first name, but she dismisses her dad and walks off.   She did come off as a bitch to me (and I took the Dateline reference as a joke).  

• Love 8

for the record, I'm not offended by the Peloton ads, I am annoyed and I just think they are really stupid, from the skinny, self absorbed woman to the people in front of huge, curtainless windows looking over a city, a mountain top or woods, the instructors yelling, "come on Peloton", they are just stupid and irritating. 

• Love 20

Any commercial that features Hester Sunshine from last season's Project Runway.

Who has the time to pick apart commercials and be offended?  Most of the time I fast forwarded through them anyway!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

which is from the pottery wheel scene in the original movie, Ghost

Ummm, no. That song was popular when my sister was a teenager and I was a small child. But it REALLY took off after The Righteous Brothers recorded it in 1965 (which is the version used in the commercial.) 

Pretty amazing to think a song first recorded 65 years ago is still popular. 

• Love 10
14 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I think the Peloton commercial would have been much better if the wife had simply exclaimed, "Ooooh, just what I wanted!"  Also, the actress has these big, sad-looking eyes which makes it seem like she's desperately trying so hard to please her husband.  I think another, more cheerful-looking actress would have also made the commercial better. 

I think this would help, but it's just a poorly conceived and written commercial in general.  Because there's no real way to visually show how a Peloton could change one's life other than weight loss, and well, that's obviously not the case.  Maybe if there was more talk of HOW it's changed her life.

Still would be a pretentious commercial for an overpriced exercise bike, though.

• Love 5

My mom had a record of Harry Belafonte singing Unchained Melody back in the 50s. The melody (of course) is from the movie "Unchained," released in 1955. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048762/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_4

Here's more on the Peloton ad that I found interesting... https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/12/peloton-christmas-gift-controversy/603148/

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

What really gets me about that KFC commercial is that they play "Unchained Melody" which is from the pottery wheel scene in the original movie, Ghost.  Talk about awkward.  Mrs. Butterworth and the Colonel staring at a plate of food while the song plays.

The entire commercial is a parody of that scene.  (So maybe the Colonel IS the new Patrick Swayze.)  I find this commercial kinda creepy, but I sorta liked the Dirty Dancing one.

• Love 1

That's my problem with the ad, too. She doesn't seem too enthusiastic about the gift and seems obligated to use it since it is an expensive piece of equipment. When she's rushing home from work she says, "Five days in a row. Surprised? I am!" there's no sense of "I'm doing this for me," rather it's like she's trying to make her husband happy or keep her Instagram followers entertained.

I need to repeat to myself "It's just a commercial. I should really just relax."

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

That's my problem with the ad, too. She doesn't seem too enthusiastic about the gift

I don't know, I think the wide eyes and dropped jaw when she saw the bike made it look like she was pretty psyched to me

1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

there's no sense of "I'm doing this for me," rather it's like she's trying to make her husband happy or keep her Instagram followers entertained

From the many times I've viewed the commercial, I never got a sense that she was doing this for her husband or trying to make him happy.  I thought she was filming herself more for social media rather than a video compilation gift for him the following Christmas (which I didn't perceive either)  I thought the end scene was just the two of them watching a montage of her videos chronicling her 'year long journey of change' together - nothing more. 

Anyone know who the actress is, by the way?

• Love 4