Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Its like they held a contest where they asked, "How could we make these annoying Chevy commercials with 'real people' even worse and more irritating?"

Answer :  Lets put kids in them saying "cute" answers to dumb questions!!!!

We have a winner!!!!!

• LOL 5
  • Love 7

This is what y'all get for me not logging in here for 2 weeks! lol. 

I guess the viewers of the old people channels are abnormally concerned with looking younger. On top of the "screaming and counting down" of the Plaxaderm ads, I really hate the extremely long Luminess make-up system ads. I swear, those ads are 90 to 120 seconds and they are run every commercial break. I am not a Cher fan, I kind of liked her in the early days, Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves, but I cannot stand, If I Could Turn Back Time and I am so sick of hearing that line 6,000 times in a 90-120 second ad every commercial break. 

However, I am curious, has anyone used a make-up air brush? I want to know if you can use any other type of make-up. If I were to start wearing make-up again, I might be tempted to try it, but I can't wear most brands of make-up, I'm allergic.

• Love 5

George Benson did an awesome jazz cover of White Rabbit.

Back on topic:

On 1/1/2020 at 11:17 PM, mmecorday said:

The love stone! And it vibrates!

If anyone thinks rolling a rock on your face will make you beautiful I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, friendperidot said:

However, I am curious, has anyone used a make-up air brush? I want to know if you can use any other type of make-up. If I were to start wearing make-up again, I might be tempted to try it, but I can't wear most brands of make-up, I'm allergic.

I've looked into this but never tried one because I'd probably get more makeup on my hair, clothes and walls than on my face. To use another foundation you'd have to thin it. There's a makeup thinner you have to use, it might come with the sprayer.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

This might be better suited for the "head scratcher" forum, but the ad in which Martin Sheen "goes viral" at a corner drug store annoys the hell out of me! He's a millionaire! He has people to fetch prescriptions for him! Why does anyone care about him having a meltdown? Who the hell would think his tantrum is a "West Wing" moment? The only thing I like about this ad is the brief appearance by his son, Charlie Sheen.

• Love 5

Ore-Ida with the dad bribing his child to eat broccoli by giving her a French fry.  How about introducing your kid to decently cooked vegetables for a couple of years before giving them deep fried unhealthiness?

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

If anyone thinks rolling a rock on your face will make you beautiful I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

Nobody is going to use that vibrating rock on their face. And I’m sure the company knows it.

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
On 1/2/2020 at 12:06 PM, Gam2 said:

Yuck, RR. Are you proposing a sex act or a recipe?

She's trying to show you how to do both simultaneously. RR is very good at time management. 

It puts a whole new twist on 30 minute meals.

• LOL 7

OK, can someone tell me why I am getting ads for jarred Camel Hump fat from Amazon on this site??? I have never searched for it on Amazon or googled it...WTF???

eta: Geesh as soon as I posted this I got an ad for camel milk! WTFH!???

Edited by Gramto6
  • LOL 10
On 1/4/2020 at 8:24 PM, chessiegal said:

What commercials you see depend on what channels you watch. I don't remember seeing any Peloton commercials on the retro channels that have programming for old fogies like me. I spent most of the day watching PBS channels. No Peloton commercials there.

HAH! I say. As of this past week, MeTV, Cozi, Antenna have been playing the SAME Peloto commercial--the one with the Black dad who can't sing! Why? WHY?

• Love 4
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

does anyone else find the lyrics to that song vaguely threatening?

Yes!  Also slightly sexual.  I'm not sure I want to know any of the other lyrics to that song.

The annoying/unnerving part of it all is how he reverts back in forth between just lightly singing the song to a literal howling/whining on certain verses.  

• Love 3
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:
On 1/4/2020 at 10:02 PM, mmecorday said:

And he's singing along to the Fugees' "Ready Or Not," which is now an oldie seeing as it was released in 1996.

does anyone else find the lyrics to that song vaguely threatening?

since I am unfamiliar with any more of the lyrics than are in this song, I haven't a clue. As far as I know, I've never heard the full song. But when I hear "ready or not, hear I come," I start singing Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie.

• LOL 4
3 hours ago, friendperidot said:

since I am unfamiliar with any more of the lyrics than are in this song, I haven't a clue. As far as I know, I've never heard the full song. But when I hear "ready or not, hear I come," I start singing Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie.

Oh good, I'm not  the only old fart on here...😁

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 1/5/2020 at 5:26 PM, chenoa333 said:

She's trying to show you how to do both simultaneously. RR is very good at time management. 

It puts a whole new twist on 30 minute meals.

Plus she feeds her dog at the same time!

• LOL 2

Pediasure.  The little boy with his older brothers.  Apparently he has to keep up with them so is given Pediasure drinks.  Not only does he have the worst squeaky voice, but his teeth are truly unfortunate.  I know he can't help his physical appearance, and presumably he'll grow into his voice and teeth, but the ad agency chose to impose this unattractive and precocious actor on us. 

https://arcww.com/article/kids-have-a-lot-to-look-up-to-in-arc-s-new-campaign-for-pediasure/

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Brookside said:

Pediasure.  The little boy with his older brothers.  Apparently he has to keep up with so is given Pediasure drinks.  Not only does he have the worst squeaky voice, but his teeth are truly unfortunate.  I know he can't help his physical appearance, and presumably he'll grow into his voice and teeth, but the ad agency chose to impose this unattractive and precocious actor on us. 

It’s also stupid because maybe the boy isn’t as big as his brothers because he’s… YOUNGER?!

• Love 15
22 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

My problem with that Peloton commercial is that it's acting like the bike playing music is some magic thing.  Most of us just use our IPods or our phones, no biggie.  And so much less expensive.

Isn't he listening to music his Ipod instead of watching the training session on his Ipod on his Peloton?

11 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

It’s also stupid because maybe the boy isn’t as big as his brothers because he’s… YOUNGER?!

Maybe it's because he's not going to be a s tall as them?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Isn't he listening to music his Ipod instead of watching the training session on his Ipod on his Peloton?

My impression is that the music is coming from the Peloton and that is the function being promoted in this particular commercial.  I could be wrong, however, but I'm not watching it closely enough to figure out for sure.  Because I really hate Peloton commercials.

Edited to note that I did a little research (I googled), and apparently there is music in the Peloton classes which users can stream.  I think this is the aspect they're trying to emphasize in the commercial.  Apparently they have had problems with getting streaming rights, so some of the music is not so good according to users.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

The reboot commercials for Mad about You aren't the least bit funny.  I have no clue why that series was brought back.  No matter how bored I get, I just don't have any interest in watching that series.

I liked that show, but must we reboot everything?

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I didn't realize the music was supposed to be coming from the Peloton.  They maybe should have made it clearer.

18 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

My impression is that the music is coming from the Peloton and that is the function being promoted in this particular commercial.

It could be, but my treadmill has an outlet to plug in my ipod or phone to play my music through a speaker.  I'm guessing the Peloton has one too.

• Useful 2

I got disgusted with Mad About You back when they had a baby. Those two didn't even have the gumption to walk their own dog; they had to hire a dog-walker to take care of Murray. and NOW they can care for a baby?  Nope. Not watching. Too stupid.  And I never thought Helen Hunt was all that hot, anyway.

• Love 3

Help!  Kelly Ripa is back with her commercial for ancestry.com.  Her family is still from the "big toe part of that sexy Italian boot"!  I was so relieved when they stopped playing it about a year ago but I never dreamed they'd bring it back.  It seems like I see it on every commercial break no matter what channel I'm watching.  Isn't there any other celebrity that could say where their family is from?  

• Love 8
9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

How much longer can it be before someone grabs Mr. Snuffleupagus by his trunk and drags his furry ass on to a commercial.  Probably for weight loss or shampoo.

Or Mrs. Snuffleupagus with a singing hooha. 

• LOL 9
On 1/8/2020 at 2:11 AM, KWalkerInc said:

I'm just glad they didn't have the guy on the Peloton sing the part of the song that goes, "I'll be Nina Simone / And defecating on your microphone."

I have no idea what you're talking about but it's still making me laugh!

Would it be wrong for me to believe that IF I donated to Shriner's Childrens Hospital, my donation would probably go to the Administrators of Shriner's, and not the children/hospital? 

And could they give donaters a better looking blanket than the one with Yogi Bear on it? 

I'm just glad they didn't have the guy on the Peloton sing the part of the song that goes, "I'll be Nina Simone / And defecating on your microphone."

Would it be wrong for me to believe that IF I donated to Shriner's Childrens Hospital, my donation would probably go to the Administrators of Shriner's, and not the children/hospital? 

And could they give donaters a better looking blanket than the one with Yogi Bear on it? Or maybe that's Smokey the Bear? Could be one of the Charmin "my hineys clean" bears? 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 1

Dang! I forgot to mention a burning question I have about Joe Namath and his Medicare commercial..with all the money he has, and all the best medical/dental coverage he has WHY does he have the worst set of dentures EVAH!

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Here's what a charity rating service said:

At Shriners Hospitals for Children®, stewardship is one of our core values. Approximately 85 percent of all funds spent by Shriners Hospitals for children each year is dedicated to patient care, research and education. We work hard to make sure your gifts are used in the most efficient and effective manner.

Another site said that 75% on programs is typical for most charities. I remember when I was a federal employee and they did the drive each year to give money to charities, we got a booklet that let you know how much of a budget went to admin costs. Very helpful if you're going to donate.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Here's what a charity rating service said:

Another site said that 75% on programs is typical for most charities. I remember when I was a federal employee and they did the drive each year to give money to charities, we got a booklet that let you know how much of a budget went to admin costs. Very helpful if you're going to donate.

Charity Navigator... just  saying. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Oscar the Grouch has his own commercial.

I know there are a lot of Muppet and Sesame Street characters used in commercials, but I am really getting tired of it.  There seems to be no end in sight.

You apparently have not seen "all" of the commercials for that Portal device yet.

The Muppets have been "shilling" stuff for quite some time.

Remember Jessica Simpson and the Pizza Hut commercials????

How about this classic "Don't leave home without it" AM EX commercial

with Jim Henson himself???

Of course, Jim was having "proto"- Kermit shill coffee way back during the days of black and white TV.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

In a verse of "Ready or Not," Lauryn Hill is expressing her disgust for rappers she thinks are weak.  She says, "While you're imitating Al Capone, I'll be Nina Simone..." and then the rest of it.  I have a hard time thinking of anything other than the next line when I hear the song.

It's funny though to picture the expression the guy in the commercial's son would have had on  his face if he had overheard him singing that part!

• LOL 4
17 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

And could they give donaters a better looking blanket than the one with Yogi Bear on it? 

And could they give donaters a better looking blanket than the one with Yogi Bear on it? Or maybe that's Smokey the Bear? Could be one of the Charmin "my hineys clean" bears? 

But, but that blanket is adoeable!  

it all seriousness my father in law is a Shriner and my wife used to do clinics and the local Shriners and they do good work. 

• Love 9
9 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

In a verse of "Ready or Not," Lauryn Hill is expressing her disgust for rappers she thinks are weak.  She says, "While you're imitating Al Capone, I'll be Nina Simone..." and then the rest of it.  I have a hard time thinking of anything other than the next line when I hear the song.

It's funny though to picture the expression the guy in the commercial's son would have had on  his face if he had overheard him singing that part!

It's a shame how Lauryn Hill effed up what was a smooth love song by the Delfonics.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2

Well, I’m sure it’s been discussed, but I again watched that Southern New Hampshire University ad (“stand up”) where they list how online college is apparently just for some people and not others, not to mention “active deployed” meaning people not there.

But I can’t stand how they say “talent is equally distributed.” They are trying to pretend everyone has the same talent, but when they don’t succeed it’s because they didn’t have opportunity. Absolutely idiotic commercial for losers.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, SG11 said:

Well, I’m sure it’s been discussed, but I again watched that Southern New Hampshire University ad (“stand up”) where they list how online college is apparently just for some people and not others, not to mention “active deployed” meaning people not there.

But I can’t stand how they say “talent is equally distributed.” They are trying to pretend everyone has the same talent, but when they don’t succeed it’s because they didn’t have opportunity. Absolutely idiotic commercial for losers.

Talent is evenly distributed between diverse people. Opportunity tends to present itself to those with the most resources.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Talent is evenly distributed between diverse people. Opportunity tends to present itself to those with the most resources.

Absolutely untrue. Talent is not evenly distributed, this is simply an excuse. I do not have the talent to play Major League Baseball. It’s not because of some excuse like I have no opportunity.

• Love 4
On 1/4/2020 at 10:22 AM, icemiser69 said:

I have no idea what this means.   I am not about to go to Urban Dictionary to find out.  That place has some really gross definitions of other words.

It was nothing terrible.  One trip is the cruise, and the other is the "trip" you go on when you take certain drugs (that's what it was called in the 60's/70's).  Not gross.

• Love 2
On 1/10/2020 at 6:53 PM, Popples said:

Who the hell waits until after they get a dog to buy necessities for it? I wonder if she had to ask the hospital staff where to buy diapers after she had her first child.

Right?? Lol I saw one today and the person said something like "no one talks about what you need when you have a new pet!" Well Chewy is there for you. Like really, you've never had a new dog before? And no one you know has either? You don't have anyone you can ask? I can't believe they needed food, and toys, and puppy pads! Who would have thought? Lol

• Love 4
On 1/10/2020 at 4:53 PM, Popples said:

Who the hell waits until after they get a dog to buy necessities for it? I wonder if she had to ask the hospital staff where to buy diapers after she had her first child.

It would have been a better commercial if they'd never had a dog before, came across an abandoned one, took her/him in for safety, fell in love, and called for advice on a Dogs 101 checklist of things to get.  Because that one plays like they deliberately went out and got a puppy without buying anything other than a crate, and without researching nutritional needs, potty training techniques, etc.  Impulse purchases (because you know these twits bought rather than adopted) of puppies are not something to be celebrated via a "cute" commercial.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Right?? Lol I saw one today and the person said something like "no one talks about what you need when you have a new pet!" Well Chewy is there for you. Like really, you've never had a new dog before? And no one you know has either? You don't have anyone you can ask? I can't believe they needed food, and toys, and puppy pads! Who would have thought? Lol

I always wonder who these people are who never talk about what you need every time my family got a new dog everyone was giving us advice on dogs. Yes, we know we've had dogs before. Not to mention there's hundreds if not thousands of books and information all over the internet. 

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

It would have been a better commercial if they'd never had a dog before, came across an abandoned one, took her/him in for safety, fell in love, and called for advice on a Dogs 101 checklist of things to get.  Because that one plays like they deliberately went out and got a puppy without buying anything other than a crate, and without researching nutritional needs, potty training techniques, etc.  Impulse purchases (because you know these twits bought rather than adopted) of puppies are not something to be celebrated via a "cute" commercial.

That would have made more sense and been a better commercial. Maybe she's overwhelmed by all the stuff for dogs whether looking at the checklist or people telling her all she needs for a dog and finds or someone tells her about Chewy.com where she orders everything else she needs including signing up for the option about sending dog food every couple weeks or something. That would show the website being helpful and their customers less stupid. I can't tell you how much it bothers me that they show her ordering everything including food from Chewy. So what does the puppy have to wait two or three days before being fed? 

• Love 4

The commercials they have for the drug for breast cancer. I really wish they would cut out the line "I didn't chose Metastatic (sp?) breast cancer. Ah, who exactly would chose that? If we all actually had the choice no one would die of anything. No one would chose any of the diseases or other health problems. 

• Love 11