Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, Ohwell said:

She gave an interview on the Today show and even she admitted that much (most?) of the controversy had to do with her facial expression.

https://www.businessinsider.com/peloton-commercial-wife-actress-responds-to-ad-backlash-interview-2019-12

"Asked why she thought the ad garnered such a visceral reaction on social media, Ruiz responded, "I mean honestly, I think it was just my face," as a lot of the backlash focused on her facial expression in one scene, which some compared to a hostage video."

That doesn't change my opinion that I don't see fear.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

There's a commercial for Advil featuring a 62-year-old skateboarder who still has some bitchin' skills. The only problem is he looks like he's nearing 90.

He's 62? Hell, I'm 62.  I thought he was in his 80's. If looked that old I'd be seriously depressed.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 12/12/2019 at 11:00 AM, mmecorday said:

"Mursee."  Not even close to the correct pronunciation of merci.

Unless you're Roy Orbison. 😎

I always thought Roy Orbison was saying "mercy" as in pretty woman have mercy on him because she's so pretty. But it could be a Southern accented merci. And I think, I'm relying on my memory, not looking it up, but I think the song was written about his wife, not that it has much to do with anything.

• Love 7

The commercial for Amex where the girl apparently can now afford to treat family and friends to meals, buy new clothes and stuff, etc.  She realizes she still has to pay for it all, right?

Edited by Brookside
Realizes not realize
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
On 12/17/2019 at 9:19 AM, smittykins said:

When I hear “Tommy John” I think of the pitcher for whom the surgery is named.

And I hear former Yankee Announcer Bill White (with that amazing voice) doing play-by-play: "Now Tommy John rocks and deals the 1-2 pitch...ground ball to short...."

On 12/8/2019 at 4:25 PM, Amethyst said:

The Walmart ad sucks because Walmart is always a zoo so I just felt sorry for the husband.  The traffic, the crowds...and you deal with that before you even walk in the store. 

Or if you're lucky enough to work at overnights you dash in at 2:00 am in the morning. I have done that and it's usually just me, two cashiers and five stock clerks.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Brookside said:

The commercial for Amex where the girl apparently can now afford to treat family and friends to meals, buy new clothes and stuff, etc.  She realize she still has to pay for it all, right?

And don’t you have to pay it in full every month?(I think that’s how AmEx works.)

• Love 3
On 12/17/2019 at 12:20 PM, mmecorday said:

There's a commercial for Advil featuring a 62-year-old skateboarder who still has some bitchin' skills. The only problem is he looks like he's nearing 90.

Not to mention that Advil (and other pain relievers) only numb the pain, they do NOT erase whatever damage to joints,etc. were the cause of  the pain. IOW, I wouldn't be surprised if he were to say"Yeah,  thanks to the pain reliever, I got to do all those leaps and bounds yesterday but I couldn't even get out of bed today!"

• Love 4
1 hour ago, smittykins said:

And don’t you have to pay it in full every month?(I think that’s how AmEx works.)

Amex now has actual  credit cards  --- have  for about  20 years. That's  how long I've had  mine. I pay in full every month  anyway.  I only have  it because  it's  virtually impossible to  rent a car, buy an airline  ticket,  or shop online  without a credit card. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Or if you're lucky enough to work at overnights you dash in at 2:00 am in the morning. I have done that and it's usually just me, two cashiers and five stock clerks.

My local Walmart has a lot of customers and very few employees at 2:00 a.m. this close to Christmas.

48 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

The new Folgers commercial where the daughter-in-law sees her father-in-law in the shower.

Just ugh, every single second of that commercial.

Yeah, I don't know what the hell they were thinking with that commercial.  Ugh.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Brookside said:

The commercial for Amex where the girl apparently can now afford to treat family and friends to meals, buy new clothes and stuff, etc.  She realize she still has to pay for it all, right?

You know, I was actually thinking she was just fantasizing about what she could get with the card. Maybe I’m thinking of a different ad. 

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

You know, I was actually thinking she was just fantasizing about what she could get with the card. Maybe I’m thinking of a different ad. 

I think you're right! The commercial makes more sense in that context.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:49 PM, friendperidot said:

I always thought Roy Orbison was saying "mercy" as in pretty woman have mercy on him because she's so pretty. But it could be a Southern accented merci. And I think, I'm relying on my memory, not looking it up, but I think the song was written about his wife, not that it has much to do with anything.

Roy is saying "mercy", like "mercy me!" or "Gawd have mercy"...

Have I mentioned those Heineken alcohol-free beer commercials annoy me?

• Love 6

I had the "pleasure" of seeing this commercial at least three times while watching The Young and the Restless on CBS All Access tonight. How long before there's such a commercial where you hear straining and plopping noises?

I have been seeing that one a lot lately too. I guess it's in heavy rotation because people are eating a lot at this particular time of year and are pooping a lot as a result.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

I had the "pleasure" of seeing this commercial at least three times while watching The Young and the Restless on CBS All Access tonight. How long before there's such a commercial where you hear straining and plopping noises?

Oh FFS. I don't want to see  someone  sitting on the  head, not even  my beloved. 

Yes, we all pee and poop. Doesn't mean I  want to see  it. What's  next, watching a  woman  insert a tampon (or worse yet, removing  one?)

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 12/20/2019 at 3:40 PM, Colleenna said:

Oh FFS. I don't want to see  someone  sitting on the  head, not even  my beloved. 

Yes, we all pee and poop. Doesn't mean I  want to see  it. What's  next, watching a  woman  insert a tampon (or worse yet, removing  one?)

I've noticed for a long time that there is no modesty left with these damned commercials.  I have the remote in my hand constantly because I don't need my blood pressure going up any further than it is.  Bring back the shampoo, Dove, Tide, soft drink commercials and stop being so damned graphic.  Also, the pharmaceutical ads that are never ending with graphic descriptions of bodily functions CONSTANTLY!  Usually when I'm eating, it pisses me off.

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, Thorkim said:

I've noticed for a long time that there is no modesty left with these damned commercials.  I have the remote in my hand constantly because I don't need my blood pressure going up any further than it is.  Bring back the shampoo, Dove, Tide, soft drink commercials and stop being so damned graphic.  Also, the pharmaceutical ads that are never ending with graphic descriptions of bodily functions CONSTANTLY!  Usually when I'm eating, it pisses me off.

What irritates me more is the answer you get if you  complain: "Well, they do it in Europe!" Yeah, in some parts of  Europe they have  pissoires, too, but I don't want  THOSE here, either.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Colleenna said:

What irritates me more is the answer you get if you  complain: "Well, they do it in Europe!" Yeah, in some parts of  Europe they have  pissoires, too, but I don't want  THOSE here, either.  

To Google or not to Google, that is the question...

• LOL 19

It's the Target commercial with it's atonal slightly off-key ' I feel good " song that has me kicking holes in the wall. I can't watch a show on Motortrend without hearing that absolutely irritating tune what seems like one-hundred-and-eighty-six-thousand times, and have vowed to NEVER set foot in a Target store again !!!

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:51 PM, BigBingerBro said:

OK latest rage (besides the endless Pelaton commercials) is the Gamestop commercial where the two parents are talking about an angel getting it's wings....  It's just SO stupid!

And kind of gross, too.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:48 AM, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

Reminds me of all the happy people with the "cash back" deals. Whose cash do these dipshits think that is? 

I guess it's better than using a card without a cash back offer, but yeah.

6 hours ago, Haleth said:

Hang in there, Peaches.  Just another couple of days.

Ever since I found out it was Sam Smith I've been thinking about adding it to my running playlist.  

I already have it, with the incomparable Donna Summer.

• Love 1

Cash back with a credit card is a good deal as long as 1) you don't pay a fee for the card and 2) you pay off your balance in full every month so you're not paying interest. I always pay off the full balance of my cards every month. I've had a Discover Card for 25 years that normally pays 1-2% cash back, but they do promotions. I signed up for a 4 month promotion starting in January - no cost - to get 5% of all grocery and gas purchases. It's a way for them to get you to use their card rather than another. I spend most of my money each month on groceries and gas. I use the cash back towards paying off my balance. I don't see any downside to this. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

I don't have a cash-back card; I get rewards points toward Best Western hotels. I suppose when I'm done doing Road Trips because I'm too old to drive that far, I'll switch to a cash-back card. I, too, pay it all off every month and pay no fees. The only money they make on me is the surcharge from the merchant.

• Love 4

Thank the TV gods there are only hours to go for the damn jewelry ads....Jared,Pandora, Zales, and the worst of all - Kay. Ugly, tacky, over-priced trinkets aimed at mostly men who have no idea what to get their significant others.  Chocolate diamonds?? Frozen-themed engagement rings?? Are you fucking kidding me? 

"Every Kiss Begins with Kaaaay!"  You know what else begins with 'K'?  "Keep the receipt, cuz that shit's goin' back."

• LOL 8
  • Love 10

Apparently HLN channel is beginning a run of a commercial they had last year with s creepy, horrid version of the song "Scarborough Faire". I had to stop watching HLN last year because they played that fucking song EVERY BREAK. I saw just now on another forum I am on that they are back at it. I guess they do it December through February. It's so bad you cant even watch the channel!!

• Love 4
On 12/23/2019 at 12:24 PM, chessiegal said:

Cash back with a credit card is a good deal as long as 1) you don't pay a fee for the card and 2) you pay off your balance in full every month so you're not paying interest. I always pay off the full balance of my cards every month. I've had a Discover Card for 25 years that normally pays 1-2% cash back, but they do promotions. I signed up for a 4 month promotion starting in January - no cost - to get 5% of all grocery and gas purchases. It's a way for them to get you to use their card rather than another. I spend most of my money each month on groceries and gas. I use the cash back towards paying off my balance. I don't see any downside to this. 

Unfortunately the downside is that most people don't have your self control and awareness of the reality of credit card debt.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Unfortunately the downside is that most people don't have your self control and awareness of the reality of credit card debt.

I agree with you to a point. I divorced a husband because he couldn't control his spending. However, I was responding to the poster who questioned where the cash back money comes from. It comes from the credit card company. They are paying you to use their card. 

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

It comes from the credit card company. They are paying you to use their card. 

Just to add to that, in case anyone doesn't know.  The credit card companies make money on interest and late fees. But, they also charge the store a percentage per transactions.  So, whether or not you use the credit card, everyone is paying in higher prices. So, you might as well get the benefit by using the card.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

feel really sad for the employees/drivers for Domino's

Yeah well the guy in the commercial seems overly happy to be doing it.  He's actually running from the car to the door.  When has anyone ever seem a Dominoes pizza delivery person run???

Edited by BigBingerBro
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Yeah well the guy in the commercial seems overly happy to be doing it.  He's actually running from the car to the door.  When has anyone ever seem a Dominoes pizza delivery person run???

I don't think the "pizza delivery person" RUNNING is exclusive to Domino's. 😄 But I'm not a pizza lover. I do however know, that Domino's pizza isn't the top of the fast food pizza chain. But apparently they do know how to make "dough"! 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 1

I did not get a big screen TV to see close-ups of people's open mouths. First it was something vaguely dental-related - I don't know, because the mute-and-cover reflex is so strong - and now it's the IKEA AKA ad. As if saying "AKA" over and over wasn't bad enough by itself.

• Love 6
On 11/26/2019 at 3:35 PM, peacheslatour said:

For some reason the woman in the Domino's commercial the says "We're going to be expediting this order." makes me irrationally angry.

A month later, this one irritates more every time I see it. As if this expedited pizza is THE ONE. Domino's CARES, y'all. They care. They're epediting. Those other customers who don't complain? Eh. Sorry, suckers.

• Love 2

Someone posted awhile back that what's portrayed in the Domino's ads isn't how it works. They said if you are a rewards member and your order isn't right, you can get some kind of discount on future orders. No one is bringing you a new pizza. Seems if that's true, the FCC should be all over Dominos for false advertising. I rarely order from them, only if I'm desperate. They are the only place that delivers to me out in the boonies. And I know to have the oven on because it's never hot enough by the time it gets here.

• Love 3

I have several terrific pizza places near me, so luckily I never have to rely on Domino's or the like.  If there's something wrong with my order, I call, and they bring me the correct thing.  None of this filing a claim and getting a credit for future use jazz; if they mess it up, they fix it that night so I can eat what I ordered.  So the commercial is odd to me -- Domino's shows up with with some sort of apology pizza on a different day, and the customers are all surprised and excited by it?

• Love 7
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 7:35 AM, BusyOctober said:

Chocolate diamonds??

Or, as I call them, diamond poop.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:54 PM, chenoa333 said:

I feel really sad for the employees/drivers for Domino's (?) pizza having to go back and delivery dipping sauce that someone forgot to include in the original order. 

Yep, it's not the driver's fault that whomever packed the order forgot the sauce (or whatever) but boy do they get the blame.

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Yep, it's not the driver's fault that whomever packed the order forgot the sauce (or whatever) but boy do they get the blame.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but a smart driver will check the orders before he heads out.  Especially if he ends up having to make a bunch of return trips.

• Love 3

I've wondered if that was the only way to get decent pizza from Dominos the very few times my family's tried it. Its always terrible There's barely any sauce, cheese or toppings and some how every single time there's always a bunch of uncooked flour on the bottom of the crust. Nothing like biting into a bunch of uncooked flour. Why? Do people like eating flour? How is it on there every single time? We ate it once and it had that problem. We tried again three years later thinking it was just a fluke. Nope again. Complaining didn't do anything. Six months back our neighbor ordered Dominos and gave my dad and me the leftovers. Once again flour at the bottom. If we do that will we finally get one without a bunch of uncooked flour? 

Edited by andromeda331
11 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but a smart driver will check the orders before he heads out.  Especially if he ends up having to make a bunch of return trips.

My brother drives for a pizza company.  He says they try to check the orders, but when they're really busy, there isn't usually time.  Because people want their food fast and don't want hear about why it isn't at their door when they think it should be.  A lot of times a driver will have multiple orders for one trip - all stacked on top of each other, so checking the bottom orders before leaving the store isn't always an option.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I've wondered if that was the only way to get decent pizza from Dominos the very few times my family's tried it. Its always terrible There's barely any sauce, cheese or toppings and some how every single time there's always a bunch of uncooked flour on the bottom of the crust. Nothing like biting into a bunch of uncooked flour. Why? Do people like eating flour? How is it on there every single time? We ate it once and it had that problem. We tried again three years later thinking it was just a flute. Nope again. Complaining didn't do anything. Six months back our neighbor ordered Dominos and gave my dad and me the leftovers. Once again flour at the bottom. If we do that will we finally get one without a bunch of uncooked flour? 

could you possibly be mistaking flour for cornmeal?

• Love 1