Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 10/29/2019 at 1:12 PM, icemiser69 said:

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are one of my favorite candies to eat, but what the heck is going with so many commercials being aired?  That "Not sorry" is getting more than a bit obnoxious.

Yeah,  I know it is Halloween, but Hershey's offers plenty of other types of candy that they can make commercials for.

Here's my thing:  EVERYBODY knows about Reese's PBCs, and I'm guessing pretty much EVERYBODY knows they're fantastic.  Why do they even need to be advertised? 

On 11/6/2019 at 5:33 PM, BigBingerBro said:

OK, so I just saw a new Peloton commercial today.  It's a "holiday" theme.  I'm not sure if it's new or just new to me.  It features a perfectly fit young mom getting the bike for Christmas.

I don't hate these commercials as much as most people seem to, and I've been to plenty of exercise and spin classes at which the instructor basically yells at us.  However, it irritates me that every commercial features an already amazingly fit person, and if it's a woman she's wearing the attractive well-fitting modern exercise clothes.  If they want to do a commercial covering a year's time, why not start with an overweight woman in shorts and a crappy T-shirt, then slimmer and wearing a nicer outfit after one year?  As a marketing tool, that scenario would make much more sense to me . 

• Love 11

I just saw this winner today, I apologize if it has been mentioned before.

Some business types walk into a hole in the wall dive bar...see the bartender and one customer then walk out to the hotel bar across the street.

The tag line says something to the effect of "find where you fit in"

First, Dive bars are the best and it doesn't take 40 minutes to catch the bartenders attention.  Tip reasonably well and you'll get treated like long lost family.

Second, way to be such classist and exclusionary douchebags.  If you want to stay in your homogenous comfort zone with watered down drinks and "Apeteezers", then don't venture out of the hotel lobby at all.  And if you were coming from somewhere else, you deserve your watered down drinks for having happy hour in a hotel bar

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, smartyshorts said:

I just saw this winner today, I apologize if it has been mentioned before.

Some business types walk into a hole in the wall dive bar...see the bartender and one customer then walk out to the hotel bar across the street.

The tag line says something to the effect of "find where you fit in"

First, Dive bars are the best and it doesn't take 40 minutes to catch the bartenders attention.  Tip reasonably well and you'll get treated like long lost family.

Second, way to be such classist and exclusionary douchebags.  If you want to stay in your homogenous comfort zone with watered down drinks and "Apeteezers", then don't venture out of the hotel lobby at all.  And if you were coming from somewhere else, you deserve your watered down drinks for having happy hour in a hotel bar

That's like my parents friends who went to Italy and France and ate all their meals at McDonalds and other insipid American fast food joints. That's right, they went to two countries who are world known for the finest cuisine and they chose to eat flavorless, familiar garbage.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

You all are prolific and I am behind the times so sorry if repeat. But there is a commercial where the opening music sounds like the music used in podcast Serial, season one and for some reason I have such a reaction to it each time. I have no idea who it’s for making this a worse post but it’s so weird my reaction. I suppose at the time I had excitement each time a new installment?  Guess the marketing didn’t work since I don’t even know the brand. 

Edited by KnoxForPres
On 11/7/2019 at 8:57 PM, Rescue Mama said:

Im sorry to her fans but: Tina Fey,  get your big, dumb, overrated face away from Mayhem!  You don't have to be in EVERYTHING!   I never liked her and now she's ruining my favorite commercials.  I'll never understand her extreme popularity. 

I am probably biased because I like Tina Fey, but the commercial amused me because Mayhem (Dean Winters) played her ex-boyfriend Dennis Duffy on 30 Rock. He showed up quite a bit during the duration of the show. He was the last remaining beeper salesman after all. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

I am probably biased because I like Tina Fey, but the commercial amused me because Mayhem (Dean Winters) played her ex-boyfriend Dennis Duffy on 30 Rock. He showed up quite a bit during the duration of the show. He was the last remaining beeper salesman after all. 

Well, that makes the commercial make sense! I didn't give Tina Fey being in it a second thought. I like her too. But now I know the inside joke.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

However, it irritates me that every commercial features an already amazingly fit person, and if it's a woman she's wearing the attractive well-fitting modern exercise clothes.  If they want to do a commercial covering a year's time, why not start with an overweight woman in shorts and a crappy T-shirt, then slimmer and wearing a nicer outfit after one year?  As a marketing tool, that scenario would make much more sense to me . 

Right?  She says she didn't realize how much it would change her life (something like that) but we as viewers can't see how it changed anything.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

Here's my thing:  EVERYBODY knows about Reese's PBCs, and I'm guessing pretty much EVERYBODY knows they're fantastic.  Why do they even need to be advertised? 

Ask Coca Cola. They're #1 and they still advertise. That's how they stay that way.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

You all are prolific and I am behind the times so sorry if repeat. But there is a commercial where the opening music sounds like the music used in podcast Serial, season one and for some reason I have such a reaction to it each time. I have no idea who it’s for making this a worse post but it’s so weird my reaction. I suppose at the time I had excitement each time a new installment?  Guess the marketing didn’t work since I don’t even know the brand. 

This one gets me every time too!  At first I thought "wow, that music is amazingly familiar what the heck" and then a minute later I realized it was Serial.  I have no idea what the product is for either, so obviously the music didn't make me pay more attention to the ad.

On 11/9/2019 at 10:51 AM, MaryPatShelby said:

it irritates me that every commercial features an already amazingly fit person, and if it's a woman she's wearing the attractive well-fitting modern exercise clothes.  If they want to do a commercial covering a year's time, why not start with an overweight woman in shorts and a crappy T-shirt, then slimmer and wearing a nicer outfit after one year?  As a marketing tool, that scenario would make much more sense to me . 

There's an ad for some exercise machine with a woman who isn't Hollywood beautiful, although by no means grossly overweight.  It shows her exercising in front of her floor to ceiling widows throughout the seasons, and then changing her diet, and then at the end of the "year" she doesn't look like she's lost an ounce.  But at least she isn't so thin and gorgeous.

-----

USAA Insurance is running an ad with their policy owner Martin whose house and car were damaged in a hail storm, and they're claiming that "USAA called him before he had a chance to check the damage."  Really?  Did USAA actually call all of their policy owners and say, "We hear there was a hail storm in your area.  Did you have damage?"

Edited by Silver Raven
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Tashalynn29 said:

The King Candy Crush commercial with the stupid song and the singer screaming at the end of it.

Ugh, I can't stand that one either.  I wish they'd bring back the one with the cat doing a motorcycle jump over the coffee table.  For some reason that one cracks me up.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

USAA Insurance is running an ad with their policy owner Martin whose house and car were damaged in a hail storm, and they're claiming that "USAA called him before he had a chance to check the damage."  Really?  Did USAA actually call all of their policy owners and say, "We hear there was a hail storm in your area.  Did you have damage?"

Actually yes, USAA does that. I've had three hurricanes/tropical storms blow through since becoming a homeowner and they called and asked for each one. And emailed.

• Useful 7
  • Love 4
53 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Actually yes, USAA does that. I've had three hurricanes/tropical storms blow through since becoming a homeowner and they called and asked for each one. And emailed.

I've been a member for over 35 years, and have always had amazing service from them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 11/3/2019 at 12:45 PM, Nordly Beaumont said:

I hate the one where the couple is watching their pizza cook and marveling at how big it is. The woman says "Well you know what they say - everything's bigger in New York." He says "That's Texas." She replies "Let it go, Matty." Let what go??

That he's right and she's wrong. She wants him to stop trying to give her correct information because she wants to remain an ignorant bitch rather than admit she's wrong. 

On 11/6/2019 at 6:33 PM, BigBingerBro said:

OK, so I just saw a new Peloton commercial today.  It's a "holiday" theme.  I'm not sure if it's new or just new to me.  It features a perfectly fit young mom getting the bike for Christmas,  Of course, it gets positioned in front of the "wall of glass" window framing a snow-covered forest, in the family room of their multi-million dollar home.  All of this is vlogged on her phone, including her first ride to which she tells her audience that she's very nervous but excited.  I can't imagine why she's nervous.  She's in her own home on an exercise bike for cripes sakes.  Then it seems like we fast forward a year and she's thanking her husband for this most precious gift that's changed her life.  I guess the point is she stuck with it for a year or something.  The whole thing just drips of pretentiousness and hits every mark of what one would expect the life of a social media influencer would be like.  I'm hoping it;s not played too excessively this season or I'll be wearing out my mute button.

When I saw the latest Peleton commercials, I thought, "Just when I thought they couldn't get any douchier."

• Love 6

Just saw a commercial for weight loss “ Dr to Help”.

I've seen that snake oil salesman before for some other product or maybe the same one under a different name

it starts with a woman with a frozen face and a wooden delivery

then cuts to Dr Help whose face is also frozen with an equally bad delivery and clearly reading cue cards

It’s some of the worst production values I’ve ever seen

On 11/1/2019 at 10:55 PM, Gramto6 said:

Especially when they slam their heads down on the table...sheesh!

I hate that one because it's so much easier to look from the edge of the table than by pressing your head against the top of it.

On 11/2/2019 at 12:31 AM, Tashalynn29 said:

Here we go again. Day after Halloween and Lexus has the December to remember commercials that will last well into January with the same stale music they have used for eons now.

I noticed the one where the wife chooses the "wrong" one of the two the husband bought is back in circulation,  🙄  but there's a new one I'm still on the fence ob in which the people are thanking themselves for the car they bough themselves. 

On 11/6/2019 at 6:33 PM, BigBingerBro said:

OK, so I just saw a new Peloton commercial today.  It's a "holiday" theme.  I'm not sure if it's new or just new to me.  It features a perfectly fit young mom getting the bike for Christmas,  Of course, it gets positioned in front of the "wall of glass" window framing a snow-covered forest, in the family room of their multi-million dollar home.  All of this is vlogged on her phone, including her first ride to which she tells her audience that she's very nervous but excited.  I can't imagine why she's nervous.  She's in her own home on an exercise bike for cripes sakes.  Then it seems like we fast forward a year and she's thanking her husband for this most precious gift that's changed her life.  I guess the point is she stuck with it for a year or something.  The whole thing just drips of pretentiousness and hits every mark of what one would expect the life of a social media influencer would be like.  I'm hoping it;s not played too excessively this season or I'll be wearing out my mute button.

Oh, I hate that new one! She acts like such a cock tease! Or maybe the word is disingengue? But yeah, her apprehensive vlogging on her mobile device to social media, later followed by her vlogging to thank her husband is so insincere. 

On 11/9/2019 at 2:50 PM, peacheslatour said:

That's like my parents friends who went to Italy and France and ate all their meals at McDonalds and other insipid American fast food joints. That's right, they went to two countries who are world known for the finest cuisine and they chose to eat flavorless, familiar garbage.

When we went to the Alpine countries (10th grade in HS - 1989), the tour guide felt that as Americans, we only wanted to eat at McDonald's, and at tourist trap places that had "dinner and a show".  Neither were particularly good (the dinner, or the show).  We started to complain.  The first time or two at a foreign McDonald's was interesting, but the prices are way higher than they are in the US, making it a ripoff.  I only had 2 good dinners there -both when we were given time on our own.  One was a Greek restaurant...in Austria (Innsbruck).  The other was an authentic German restaurant at a ski resort that had closed for the season (the restaurant stayed open year round).

On 11/9/2019 at 10:55 PM, Tashalynn29 said:

The King Candy Crush commercial with the stupid song and the singer screaming at the end of it.

STOP IT. that damn commercial has been running for about two years now and it is more annoying than nails on a chalkboard 

It's Bjork, and her voice grates on me.  The song is "It's Oh So Quiet", and it's a cover of an older song from the 50's, I think.  Bjork's version is from 1995.  To make matters worse, I don't think it fits the commercial, nevermind I didn't like the song to begin with.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, shlbycindyk said:

Maybe the woman on the Peloton bike is nervous because she's afraid she's going to fall off it, go thru the glass window, and end up dead at the bottom of the snow covered forest. 

Maybe that was the husbands plan all along. muahhhhaa (it would at least make the commercial more interesting lol)

• LOL 7

Country Crock Plant Butter (or something)- Little girl is messily shoveling a mountain of spaghetti into her mouth; voiceover says Cammie only eats buttered noodles(?), so mom is trying to get her to eat better. Her solution is to give her the same heap of carbs, but with CC Plant Butter.

Mom, the problem here is that you aren't finding a way to get Cammie to try other foods, specifically veggies and fruits. I know it's hard, but it's, y'know, your JOB. Also, try to keep up with current nutrition science, not just woke trends. For most people, butter in moderation is fine. OTOH, heaps of carbs (in pasta) are diabetes bombs in the making.

• Love 10
30 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Country Crock Plant Butter (or something)- Little girl is messily shoveling a mountain of spaghetti into her mouth; voiceover says Cammie only eats buttered noodles(?), so mom is trying to get her to eat better. Her solution is to give her the same heap of carbs, but with CC Plant Butter.

Mom, the problem here is that you aren't finding a way to get Cammie to try other foods, specifically veggies and fruits. I know it's hard, but it's, y'know, your JOB. Also, try to keep up with current nutrition science, not just woke trends. For most people, butter in moderation is fine. OTOH, heaps of carbs (in pasta) are diabetes bombs in the making.

Children also need lean protein and dairy for calcium. That was just a big bowl of empty calories. The kid is gonna weigh five hundred pounds by the time she's ten.

• Love 6

I've seen this one several times and it is really starting to annoy me. I don't know if the actress is someone I'm supposed to know and love, but I don't, know her or love her. It's for some probiotic crap, maybe some yogurt or some other kind of probiotic crap, but she's locked herself in her exercise room, a kid knocks on the door and she yells "I'm working out." She's on a stationery bike, she spritzes her face with water, dramatically puts her hand to her face and then takes a selfie. Self absorbed, much?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I've seen this one several times and it is really starting to annoy me. I don't know if the actress is someone I'm supposed to know and love, but I don't, know her or love her. It's for some probiotic crap, maybe some yogurt or some other kind of probiotic crap, but she's locked herself in her exercise room, a kid knocks on the door and she yells "I'm working out." She's on a stationery bike, she spritzes her face with water, dramatically puts her hand to her face and then takes a selfie. Self absorbed, much?

That's Jessica Alba and she is kind of a big deal. She's been in a ton of movies. I think the commercial is cute.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, shlbycindyk said:

Maybe the woman on the Peloton bike is nervous because she's afraid she's going to fall off it, go thru the glass window, and end up dead at the bottom of the snow covered forest. 

Now that's a commercial I'd love to see. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, sempervivum said:

How is plant butter not margarine?  So confused. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, sempervivum said:

So many commercials show parents giving enormous portions of food to little kids. The Country Crock ad is a particularly egregious example. The Kraft macaroni and cheese ads are the same. Even ads for healthier foods show small children getting adult-size plates of food.

• Love 3
On 11/11/2019 at 9:06 AM, funky-rat said:

When we went to the Alpine countries (10th grade in HS - 1989), the tour guide felt that as Americans, we only wanted to eat at McDonald's, and at tourist trap places that had "dinner and a show".  Neither were particularly good (the dinner, or the show).  We started to complain.  The first time or two at a foreign McDonald's was interesting, but the prices are way higher than they are in the US, making it a ripoff.  

Wages, rent, ingredients, etc. are higher in "the Alpine countries" (whatever that means) than in the US, so not necessarily a ripoff. Also, apparently the quality is better  (not difficult to believe).  People unfamiliar with foreign travel and unfamiliar cuisines tend to gravitate to what they know, which, unfortunately, often means McDonalds.

• Love 1
Just now, Brookside said:

Wages, rent, ingredients, etc. are higher in "the Alpine countries" (whatever that means) than in the US, so not necessarily a ripoff. Also, apparently the quality is better  (not difficult to believe).  People unfamiliar with foreign travel and unfamiliar cuisines tend to gravitate to what they know, which, unfortunately, often means McDonalds.

I know my German foods and wanted local food.  The tour guide flat-out told us that because we were Americans, he figured we'd want McDonald's.  I noticed no difference in the quality, but that's just me.  There were some cool differences, like being able to get Beer, and other things, but eaing McD's for most lunches and some suppers for 10 days straight got old.  Maybe one stop per country, just to see how they differ, but it was disappointing.  And consistently taking us to a high-priced fast food restaurant just made it all the more irritating.  Back then we were paying almost double what it was here in the US.  Again, I get the whole wages thing and what not, but it doesn't make good sense to keep sending us there, even after we complained several times.

The tour was called "The Alpine Countries".  I typed that to shorten up the whole thing, but it was West Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and Liechtenstein.  Liechtenstein was the only country we didn't hit up a McDonald's.  It only took us 20 minutes to drive across it, and in to Austria (where we did stop at McDonald's).  Not sure if Liechtenstein even has McD's.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

A child's tantrum can always be tamed by mac n' cheese and a big ole slice of Red Baron frozen pizza, doncha know.

My sister had an interesting way of dealing with picky eaters. If they didn't want to eat what she put on the table, that was fine. They were welcome to excuse themselves from the table. But they were NOT ALLOWED to eat anything else until the next meal. A couple of nights of going to bed hungry pretty much cured their cases of the pickies. 

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

My sister had an interesting way of dealing with picky eaters. If they didn't want to eat what she put on the table, that was fine. They were welcome to excuse themselves from the table. But they were NOT ALLOWED to eat anything else until the next meal. A couple of nights of going to bed hungry pretty much cured their cases of the pickies. 

My mother would give the food to us the next meal..cold. You only have to eat cold squash for breakfast only one time before you figure hot squash is not so bad.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

This reminds me of when my toddler would take his shoes off in the car during the five minute drive home from daycare, since I had to put them back on to get to the house.  I asked him not to, but he continued to until the time I didn't put them back on, and he had to walk through cold puddles to get to the house and wait on the porch until I got him clean socks.  He didn't die, but he did learn. Consequences people.

Following in my parents' footsteps, my children could choose one item they wouldn't eat.  Bananas in my case.  Otherwise, being picky wasn't even an option.  Our parents worked hard, my mom put a home-cooked meal on the table every night, we ate it.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, Brookside said:

This reminds me of when my toddler would take his shoes off in the car during the five minute drive home from daycare, since I had to put them back on to get to the house.  I asked him not to, but he continued to until the time I didn't put them back on, and he had to walk through cold puddles to get to the house and wait on the porch until I got him clean socks.  He didn't die, but he did learn. Consequences people.

Following in my parents' footsteps, my children could choose one item they wouldn't eat.  Bananas in my case.  Otherwise, being picky wasn't even an option.  Our parents worked hard, my mom put a home-cooked meal on the table every night, we ate it.

I am 54, old and it never dawned on me or my sibs in the 70's to refuse what was served for dinner.  Maybe having a dad that had been in the navy helped?  I dunno.  My kids ate what we ate, maybe cut up a bit more, but no, you don't get chicken nuggets or pizza while we eat pot roast.  Never occurred to me to offer that option.  And I wasn't serving out there foods like squid, just general American fare, lol.

So yeah, that Pediasure commercial where Junior pushed his plate away and mom gives him a shake?  Hoark.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 10

Meh, I think sometimes people get a little nutty over controlling food. I have a 9-year-old who's just not a big eater in the morning. He's not really a big eater in general. But Mr. Tanyak will heat up two waffles in the morning when I know he will only finish one. But Mr. Tanyak will get upset that he doesn't finish two. He never finishes two! And I have another friend who will make her kids sit at the table forever until they finish their food. Whenever we're over their house, I just really feel uncomfortable. 

ETA: Some kids really do have food aversions, particularly those with sensory issues. And according to my mom board, many of them do drink liquid shakes for calories. Pediasure should try to reframe the ads so that it doesn't appear the kid is just being a brat. 

Edited by tanyak
  • Love 12
8 hours ago, Brookside said:

People unfamiliar with foreign travel and unfamiliar cuisines tend to gravitate to what they know, which, unfortunately, often means McDonalds.

Taking this to Small Talk...

Or not.  Once I copy/pasted this, I couldn't get the cursor to move beyond the quote box. Sheesh.  Well, I tried...

That was a problem traveling with my mom.  I was all for trying local, independent restaurants and she wanted the familiar. Who goes to Puerto Rico to eat at Burger King? We did.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, tanyak said:

Meh, I think sometimes people get a little nutty over controlling food. I have a 9-year-old who's just not a big eater in the morning. He's not really a big eater in general. But Mr. Tanyak will heat up two waffles in the morning when I know he will only finish one. But Mr. Tanyak will get upset that he doesn't finish two. He never finishes two! And I have another friend who will make her kids sit at the table forever until they finish their food. Whenever we're over their house, I just really feel uncomfortable. 

ETA: Some kids really do have food aversions, particularly those with sensory issues. And according to my mom board, many of them do drink liquid shakes for calories. Pediasure should try to reframe the ads so that it doesn't appear the kid is just being a brat. 

Perhaps you could suggest that Mr Tanyak could just serve one waffle at a time and your kid could ask for another if he's still hungry?  It's not as though waffles are particularly healthy or that we should be asking our children eat them.  As for your friend, from my experience, children do better with small portions on small plates.  It's more approachable. (Plus it results in less obesity.)  It'll be really hard to tell your friend that though 😞 (or your husband), but early food habits last -- good and bad.

• Love 6

I absolutely detest the Celebrity Cruise spot with Grace Slick wailing White Rabbit* at the top of her lungs.  Then they cut to something else for 30 to 60 seconds and Grace is back wailing the same thing again.  I hate hate hate loud commercials.

Celebrity has a pretty good rep among cruise lines.  They need another ad agency.

*White Rabbit is fine when I choose to listen to it on its own, but not when it's blasted at multi decibels while I relax unsuspecting in my Lazy Boy.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I absolutely detest the Celebrity Cruise spot with Grace Slick wailing White Rabbit* at the top of her lungs.  Then they cut to something else for 30 to 60 seconds and Grace is back wailing the same thing again.  I hate hate hate loud commercials.

I haven't seen this but, really, Celebrity Cruise?  That's the song you pick to represent your cruise line?

• Love 1

I despise the new Apple iPhone commercial "Privacy." Apple is trying to convince us that THEY are the only ones who can protect the "private information" on our phones. "Your heart rate after a run..."  Oh please. I'm a huge privacy bear. I worked in information security and privacy for many years. I wouldn't have an iPhone if you gave it to me. 

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/o9VE/apple-iphone-privacy-on-iphone-simple-as-that-song-by-dustin-ohalloran

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I am 54, old and it never dawned on me or my sibs in the 70's to refuse what was served for dinner.  Maybe having a dad that had been in the navy helped?  I dunno.  My kids ate what we ate, maybe cut up a bit more, but no, you don't get chicken nuggets or pizza while we eat pot roast.  Never occurred to me to offer that option.  And I wasn't serving out there foods like squid, just general American fare, lol.

I don't recall there being a whole lot of foods being marketed to kids back then, except for breakfast cereals, and some snack items.  Chicken nuggets didn't really even exist.  Now, tons of food is marketed at kids.  Everything now is all about ease and convenience, which is needed for many, but I'd rather see a push toward how to make good food at a reasonable cost than toward convenience foods, which can build picky eaters and aren't often very healthy.

I only knew one set of exceedingly picky eaters growing up.  Siblings who refused to eat things unless their mother or grandmothers prepared it.  If there were a pot luck, they had their own set of food to eat.  If they were going to someone's house, they arrived with their own food.  My mom asked for some of their recipes, and I couldn't tell the difference, but these kids had in in their heads that it didn't taste as good, and refused to eat.  I think some of that came from their family members attitude that only certain brands and things were "good" and nothing else would do.  Their one grandmother was awesome and made really good stuff, but they wouldn't touch half of it because their mom, or their other grandmother put it in their heads that it was "yucky" because THEY didn't like it. 

We had a rule that you had to try something.  If you genuinely didn't like it, you didn't have to eat it, but if you wanted something else, you made it yourself.  Mom was not making more than one meal.  Period.  But while mom and dad had things they didn't care for, they would never put in to my head that they were yucky.  Consequently, I tried things at other people's houses, or restaurants, and I liked them, even if mom and dad didn't.  My grandparents were the same way.  If you really didn't like what she made, Grammy would make a sandwich for you, and heat a can of Campbell's soup, but that was it.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I don't recall there being a whole lot of foods being marketed to kids back then, except for breakfast cereals, and some snack items.  Chicken nuggets didn't really even exist.  Now, tons of food is marketed at kids.

I agree.  Chicken nuggets were introduced during my senior year of high school!  Now you have dinosaur shaped nuggets!  Gogurts, Star Wars Fruit snacks, etc.  I had a childhood friend who brought her own food to every birthday party and a cousin (my age) who ate, no lie, like three foods.  We had a student in this school who ate, and I not kidding:  Chocolate milk, chicken nuggets and one brand/one flavor of fruit snacks.  FOR BREAKFAST AND LUNCH EVERY DAY.  I am sure dinner looked the same.  

18 hours ago, tanyak said:

And according to my mom board, many of them do drink liquid shakes for calories. Pediasure should try to reframe the ads so that it doesn't appear the kid is just being a brat. 

I agree.  I have a dear friend who has a daughter with CP - she was on a feeding tube and never learned to chew food.  She needed PediaSure for the calories, not because she was being defiant.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree.  Chicken nuggets were introduced during my senior year of high school!  Now you have dinosaur shaped nuggets!  Gogurts, Star Wars Fruit snacks, etc.  I had a childhood friend who brought her own food to every birthday party and a cousin (my age) who ate, no lie, like three foods.  We had a student in this school who ate, and I not kidding:  Chocolate milk, chicken nuggets and one brand/one flavor of fruit snacks.  FOR BREAKFAST AND LUNCH EVERY DAY.  I am sure dinner looked the same.  

I agree.  I have a dear friend who has a daughter with CP - she was on a feeding tube and never learned to chew food.  She needed PediaSure for the calories, not because she was being defiant.

Taking the "kids and food" discussion to Small Talk...

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

We had a rule that you had to try something.  If you genuinely didn't like it, you didn't have to eat it, but if you wanted something else, you made it yourself.  Mom was not making more than one meal.  Period.  But while mom and dad had things they didn't care for, they would never put in to my head that they were yucky.  Consequently, I tried things at other people's houses, or restaurants, and I liked them, even if mom and dad didn't.  My grandparents were the same way.  If you really didn't like what she made, Grammy would make a sandwich for you, and heat a can of Campbell's soup, but that was it.

I was actually talking to my mom about this.  We basically had the same rule. Have to try, don't have to finish it.  My sister and I were both pretty picky and my mom was saying she thought she messed up and she should have forced us to eat everything.  I told her I thought she was wrong.  By not forcing me to eat what I didn't want to eat, I don't have food anxieties.  Plus, while I'm not the least picky eater in the world, I'm a lot less picky than I was. And I have friends (and my boss) who say that they're pretty impressed that such a picky eater is willing to try so many new foods.  If you keep exposing kids to food, a lot of them will come around.  If you force it, they'll probably get stubborn.  Just my 2 cents worth on the issue.

• Love 4

The amazon commercial that uses the song "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" drives me batty because it skips verses!  If you're going to do that just use the instrumental.  I suppose they are going for the "you're too good to be true" part.

• Love 8