Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 8:29 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Apparently, the actor playing the husband is getting blowback by the those outraged at this horrid, sexist ad.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/12/05/peloton-husband-actor-is-feeling-the-the-blowback.html

This is pretty stupid.  It's only a commercial (and not one I find to be sexist at all, just poorly executed) and he's an actor playing a role.  Get over it, people.  And by that I mean, make fun of the commercial all you want, but leave the actual actors alone.

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 12:17 AM, Bastet said:

I haven't seen this one, but is he doing anything else?  If he's not cooking, cleaning, or otherwise setting things up at home, and his only role for the holiday meal is picking things up at the store, then that's just what happens, even if it happens more often than it should because of other people's forgetfulness.  There's no way someone who's cooking a holiday meal should have to also go out and shop for last-minute ingredients if some otherwise useless blob is available to do it, no matter why the last-minute need arose.

The wife isn't actually cooking anything, I don't think.  She's just sitting there on her phone.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, chessiegal said:

But the point of the ad is you don't have to walk in the store. You order online, pull into the designated spot for pick-ups, and an employee brings what you need to your car. My grocery store has 6 designated spots for people who order online, they let you know when it will be ready, you wait in your car and they bring the groceries to you. There were 3 cars using the service when I was at the store today.

He still has to drive to Walmart multiple times, though.  Given how bad the traffic can be on the road by my local Walmart, my answer would be "Nope, I'm not going back, Mom'll either eat what we serve or go hungry".

15 hours ago, kariyaki said:

He’d be doing that anyway, because he has to go to the store and get those things. And this way, he’s saved from having to elbow through the holiday wal mart shoppers. I don’t shop there anyway, but I definitely wouldn't go anywhere near one in the month of December. It’s always packed. 

Only he wouldn't have to do that anyway if he said "Tell your mom, my mom, whomever that we're serving what we're serving, and if she's suddenly gluten-free, she can bring her own food" like I would.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Well, she does have Sesame Seed buns.

I am surprised that I haven't seen any commercials for KFC Fire Logs.

Wouldn't those be what you get for over-indulgingu on Mexican food? 

ETA: Fire logs, I mean.... 

Edited by Colleenna
Clarity
  • LOL 5
On 12/6/2019 at 3:03 PM, ctlady said:

I don't know, I think the wide eyes and dropped jaw when she saw the bike made it look like she was pretty psyched to me.

I never got that impression.  Actually,  she seems apprehensive and I have no idea why. 

On 12/7/2019 at 10:02 PM, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Sorry if this had been mentioned before but I went back a few pages and didn't see it. I'm annoyed by the Walmart commercials with the man going to pick up things, and every time he comes back home he has to go back out and get more things. Like oh "my mom is this and that" and "I forgot" and " now we're hosting". I'm just thinking "go to the store yourself now and get whatever you need!" Why does he have to keep going out every time he gets back to the house? Like girl if you don't get yourself to the store at least once..... Lol 

That commercial reminds me of a Thanksgiving,  i think, ep of the Cosby Show in which Claire keeps sending Cliff out in the snow to fetch an item or two she forgot...

• Love 4
10 hours ago, cynicat said:
14 hours ago, Brookside said:

sppsd?

supposed.

it seems that texters have deemed vowels unnecessary. Wheel of Fortune will not be able to afford those cars and large jackpots! Except for "u" and "ur" for "you" and "your." Text shortcuts annoy me. I hate texting, but when I do, everything is spelled out and properly punctuated and I do it on a flip phone. 

One ad that annoys me that I haven't seen mentioned and it's been running a while. For Discover Card, I think. Young woman is at the aquarium talking with her Discover Card double or it might be for a different card, I tune it out. But she's talking about taking a scuba diving vacation, then a shark swims up to the glass and she says with a high pitched, choking tone, "or not." And the DC double asks if she;s ok and she chokes out a squeaky "I'm all right." I think the overacting, scared of sharks behind glass ranks right up there with the nervousness of the Peloton narcissist. 

And I cannot believe people get worked up enough to send death threats to the actor that plays the husband. Good grief, people need to get their own lives. Does any one threaten Sheryl or her husband or who ever burned down the she-shed?

And taking grocery delivery talk to small talk.

• Love 13
13 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

This is pretty stupid.  It's only a commercial (and not one I find to be sexist at all, just poorly executed) and he's an actor playing a role.  Get over it, people.  And by that I mean, make fun of the commercial all you want, but leave the actual actors alone.

Have you met the Internet? 😊

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

What?  Mrs. Butterworth is married.  I'm boycotting her.

Mrs Butterworth is a widow. Her husband died from complications from diabetes. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 6

This is vague because I didn't read the article, but the Pelaton actor posted a tweet in response to the wife's gin ad, saying that since she left him he now gets the bike.  If this takes on a comical turn where the story gets sillier and sillier it will all be good.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, elle said:

This commercial for Pop n Play toy for cats seems like it would be a basic infomercial until the jingle starts. There is also the odd comparison between the product and a whackamole game plus the awkward inclusion of the children.  

I initially read that as "poop n play" and wondered why someone would make that! 🤣

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Re: the Pelaton ad.  I think we should see the husband gleefully rubbing his hands together and proclaiming he was finally free.  His wife had sadly said for years that if she got one of those fancy stationary bikes she'd ride it every day.  He'd actually expected her to give up after a few days like she did everything else and he'd send it back, but this time she stuck with it.  He thinks she was crushing on one of the instructors, but whatever it was, it worked.  Her depression lifted, energy levels improved, and her self-confidence increased enough that after she showed him her year long blog, she thanked him for the experience and handed him divorce papers.

It was the happiest day of both their lives.  Now she's training for a marathon with the Pelaton guy, and her ex can finally get through the day without her constantly phoning or texting him, always complaining and seeking validation.  

He can talk to his parents on the phone without her hovering nearby, listening to everything he says and grilling him about it later.  He can spend time alone with his daughter, and they're planning a trip to Disney World.  He's accepted that promotion that will have him traveling a couple of weeks a year to their Paris and London offices.  He's started dating.  To do all that he's going to need to get in shape.  Since the Pelaton is in his name, he's keeping it.  Look for his upcoming vlog coming up soon.

• LOL 19
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

There is nothing wrong with the Peloton ad. 

Oh, there's plenty wrong with it (the writing, the narcissism, the overpriced product it's selling), but patriarchy and potential spousal abuse are not on display in it, imo.

• Love 12
21 hours ago, Ohwell said:

My last comment on the Peloton ad:  the woman in the ad reminds me of the Frozen chick. 

I thought the Peloton wife looks a lot like Megan Markle (ahem, Duchess of Sussex) especially her knitted brows 'omg, I don't know if I can do this, but here it goes' face

21 hours ago, proserpina65 said:
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:29 AM, icemiser69 said:

There is nothing wrong with the Peloton ad. 

Oh, there's plenty wrong with it (the writing, the narcissism, the overpriced product it's selling),

Narcissistic?  Perhaps, because of the selfie/self-vlogging thing.  But hey - you can say that about the millions of millennials who's 'job' is a You Tube influencer

As for overpriced - I have to disagree only on the grounds that, over the summer, I took my old 10-speed that had been sitting in the basement for over 10 years to a local bike shop to have it looked over and tires replaced.  While waiting, I perused the price tags of some of the bikes for sale in the shop and almost keeled over.  Anywhere from $900 - 2,700!!  At least with the Peloton you can get more use out of it 365 days a year, sans bad weather (or in the case of the commercials, the more scenic the weather, the better because it looks nicer while biking by a big uncovered window!)  One can also say the same for the Bowflex, NordicTrac, etc.  State of the art exercise machines are going to cost.  I'm not going to blame them for pricing it too high for me to afford, but rather go find something that IS within my price range

As for the crap the male actor is getting, I'm just floored.  He was shown in the ad just twice - in the beginning and the end - and I don't think he even uttered a word.  Those who are griping that it's sexist, misogynistic, body shaming, etc. really need to get a grip.  A lot could've been prevented with more careful writing, "Oh, honey - you remembered I mentioned wanting this" so viewers didn't assume he bought it of his own volition because he thought she was out of shape, wanted to control her by making sure she didn't get fat - whatever.  Those were never any of my gripes with the commercial in the first place.

I see next Christmas' Peloton commercial with the same actors on Christmas morning, her coming down the stairs, looking for her gift and the husband shaking his head saying, 'Nope - not going there again this year"

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ctlady said:

Narcissistic?  Perhaps, because of the selfie/self-vlogging thing.  But hey - you can say that about the millions of millennials who's 'job' is a You Tube influencer

I do. And don't forget the Instahoes on Instagram.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I hate those Cheerios commercials.  HAAAATE!!! 

I can't stand to hear the guy singing "good goes around and around." There's something about the tone of his voice that just makes me stabby.  And I hate the woman's voice over too.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ctlady said:

At least with the Peloton you can get more use out of it 365 days a year, sans bad weather (or in the case of the commercials, the more scenic the weather, the better because it looks nicer while biking by a big uncovered window!)  One can also say the same for the Bowflex, NordicTrac, etc.  State of the art exercise machines are going to cost.  I'm not going to blame them for pricing it too high for me to afford, but rather go find something that IS within my price range

Definitely overpriced.  You can find much less expensive exercise bikes which will give you exactly the same workout for a lot less money.

3 hours ago, ctlady said:

This is exactly why I said narcissistic.  And yes, I do say the same about alleged influencers.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Late to the party, but I need to join in about the Peloton ad.  It is so badly written that it gives no clue as to the way in which her life was changed by this expensive piece of exercise equipment.  It certainly can't be a weight loss or increased fitness because she looks exactly the same a year later.  I'm willing to believe that there was some other life-changing element, but they failed to give any idea as to what that would have been.  Is she so desperate for attention that merely hearing her name spoken by the instructor changed her life?

The most inexplicable thing though is what appears to be her terror when starting to use the exercise beast.  What threat is she under?  Who is being held for hostage to make her pedal?  There must be something critical happening to make her get on and pedal when she is so obviously terrified.

The fear is so hard to grasp that people are creating backstories of abuse by the husband.  There is really nothing to indicate that,  but the complete lack of reason for her fear encourages people to fill in the blank.

The other really annoyingly bad thing about the ad is the narcissism of her recording all of it day after day and then forcing her husband to watch it.  I realize a large number of people these days never just live their lives; they record everything to share with others who are also performing rather that living.  That she is not alone doesn't make it any better.  It is just obnoxious.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I feel the same way about the "bend at the waist" Ensure? commercial.

Bananas don't have waists!  (me yelling at the tv)

Edited by elle
  • LOL 8
54 minutes ago, cynicat said:

I think the Banana should tell the Ensure bottle to touch his toes.

The commercial was just on.*  I just noticed that in the background there is a carrot doing push ups by broccoli lifting weights made of olives.  So are olives not sentient in that universe or just really really laid back and accommodating?

*sometimes I will be reading this forum and the exact commercial will come on -- kinda freaky!

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, Brookside said:

And what the hell is a cardiovascular event?

Cardiovascular events refer to any incidents that may cause damage to the heart muscle. The heart is a busy organ, constantly pumping blood filled with oxygen and nutrients through your arteries, into the heart muscle (myocardium). Any interruption of blood flow will lead to an injury, or infarction.

• Useful 3

Has anyone else seen the Aldi commercial with the woman explaining every single one of her purchases to the checker? I hope there wasn't a long line behind her. It pisses me off when customers are chatting up the checkers and slowing down the line. I always want to yell "Hey! Less chatting, more ringing!"

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Has anyone else seen the Aldi commercial with the woman explaining every single one of her purchases to the checker? I hope there wasn't a long line behind her. It pisses me off when customers are chatting up the checkers and slowing down the line. I always want to yell "Hey! Less chatting, more ringing!"

Teehee. When I get behind people in the produce section who have to inspect EVERY. SINGLE. BANANA. I want to yell "Don't name them, just pick them!"

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:38 AM, Brookside said:

Vicks VapoPatch with the dad and daughter rubbing each other's chest is creepy as hell.

That bad annoys me b/c it reminds me that people are actually using that crap with no medical value.

Tommy John underwear commercial featuring a very old man in nothing but black knit boxers. First we see him drinking milk out of the carton in front of the fridge, then we get to see him doing a stretch on top of the kitchen island, with his bare feet almost in his daughter-in-law(?)'s cereal bowl. 

WHY would anyone think this is a good way to persuade potential customers to buy their undies??!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:38 PM, Suzn said:

Late to the party, but I need to join in about the Peloton ad.  It is so badly written that it gives no clue as to the way in which her life was changed by this expensive piece of exercise equipment.  It certainly can't be a weight loss or increased fitness because she looks exactly the same a year later.  I'm willing to believe that there was some other life-changing element, but they failed to give any idea as to what that would have been.  Is she so desperate for attention that merely hearing her name spoken by the instructor changed her life?

The most inexplicable thing though is what appears to be her terror when starting to use the exercise beast.  What threat is she under?  Who is being held for hostage to make her pedal?  There must be something critical happening to make her get on and pedal when she is so obviously terrified.

The fear is so hard to grasp that people are creating backstories of abuse by the husband.  There is really nothing to indicate that,  but the complete lack of reason for her fear encourages people to fill in the blank.

The other really annoyingly bad thing about the ad is the narcissism of her recording all of it day after day and then forcing her husband to watch it.  I realize a large number of people these days never just live their lives; they record everything to share with others who are also performing rather that living.  That she is not alone doesn't make it any better.  It is just obnoxious.

I don't see terror or fear, just nervousness, in her expression at the beginning, and having started more than one exercise program with some trepidation, I can relate to that.  But I totally agree with everything else you said.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:25 PM, elle said:

Bananas don't have waists!  (me yelling at the tv)

That's the exact same thing I yell every single time. :-)

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:46 AM, Colleenna said:

Triscuit non-GMO ad makes me stabby. Not a new ad.

It's not like non-GMO is any better for you.  Hell, it may be better for the environment when it means modified so as to not require the use of pesticides.

11 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

That bad annoys me b/c it reminds me that people are actually using that crap with no medical value.

I found it helped temporarily open up my sinuses without using a decongestant (which I can't use due to my blood pressure), but then, so does steam.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't see terror or fear, just nervousness, in her expression at the beginning, and having started more than one exercise program with some trepidation, I can relate to that.  But I totally agree with everything else you said.

She gave an interview on the Today show and even she admitted that much (most?) of the controversy had to do with her facial expression.

https://www.businessinsider.com/peloton-commercial-wife-actress-responds-to-ad-backlash-interview-2019-12

"Asked why she thought the ad garnered such a visceral reaction on social media, Ruiz responded, "I mean honestly, I think it was just my face," as a lot of the backlash focused on her facial expression in one scene, which some compared to a hostage video."

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

It would be interesting if Banana introduced the Ensure bottle to Colonel Sanders.  I hope Mrs. Butterworth doesn't get jealous, but then again, she is married.

Yes, but we've established that Mr. Butterworth is a filthy rapscallion who ran off with that floozy, Sara Lee. I say he deserves it.

• LOL 6
2 hours ago, Maverick said:

Mother effer. The Muppets are shilling for Facebook?  Clearly whoever's running Henson has no shame. 

I've commented on this before as a product I hate/commercial I like.  At this point I am thinking of them as mini skits from the old show.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Tommy John underwear commercial featuring a very old man in nothing but black knit boxers. First we see him drinking milk out of the carton in front of the fridge, then we get to see him doing a stretch on top of the kitchen island, with his bare feet almost in his daughter-in-law(?)'s cereal bowl. 

WHY would anyone think this is a good way to persuade potential customers to buy their undies??!

When I hear “Tommy John” I think of the pitcher for whom the surgery is named.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:52 PM, xaxat said:

The whole campaign for Heineken's new non alcholic beer annoys me (Another one features a guy drinking one in front of his boss.) Because they seem to be about a bunch of A Holes who revel in "sticking it to the man". Oh, you thought I was drinking a real beer? Jokes on you!

But this ad is really stupid. No sticker on a beer bottle is going to stop a police officer from demanding you step out of your car for a field sobriety/breathalyzer test.

Have fun with that dude. Hope you enjoyed your "beer".

What's the deal with these ads suddenly being in heavy rotation? I understand what they were going for, I think, but these people come off as assholes. There's another one I frequently hear on the radio (I assume I haven't seen the TV version yet) with a bunch of people acting like obnoxious drunks at a work meeting and chanting their boss's impromptu nickname and then another for the person who brought the beer. I am finding myself getting angry every time it comes on!

• Love 1