Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, SG11 said:

But I can’t stand how they say “talent is equally distributed.” They are trying to pretend everyone has the same talent, but when they don’t succeed it’s because they didn’t have opportunity. Absolutely idiotic commercial for losers.

...or a commercial for millennials.

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I am not a big fan of a diet commercial that is running right now.  It said that you don't have to count points.  Cool, I have no problem with that.   I think it said something about no psychology.  I disagree with that completely.

There are many reasons why people over eat and gain weight.  I believe that there can be and often is a psychological component to it, which leads to bad eating habits.   Stress and emotional eating are a couple of examples.   Deal with the psychological issues behind stress and and emotional eating, come up with an other outlet for stress and emotions that don't involve overeating.  Retrain the brain.  

I believe the reason why diets often fail is because the root cause of overeating isn't addressed.

Yes. This is why people don't build sustainable habits, and gain weight back. Maintenance is so much harder.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I am not a big fan of a diet commercial that is running right now.  It said that you don't have to count points.  Cool, I have no problem with that.   I think it said something about no psychology.  I disagree with that completely.

There are many reasons why people over eat and gain weight.  I believe that there can be and often is a psychological component to it, which leads to bad eating habits.   Stress and emotional eating are a couple of examples.   Deal with the psychological issues behind stress and and emotional eating, come up with an other outlet for stress and emotions that don't involve overeating.  Retrain the brain.  

I believe the reason why diets often fail is because the root cause of overeating isn't addressed.

I.e, you can't  fix what  you're  eating  till you  fix what's  eating  YOU. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

They are saying no psychology to counter Noom which claims they will help retrain you brain through psychology.  It's their selling point. 

• Love 4
23 hours ago, SG11 said:

Absolutely untrue. Talent is not evenly distributed, this is simply an excuse. I do not have the talent to play Major League Baseball. It’s not because of some excuse like I have no opportunity.

I haven’t actually seen the ad in question, but I’m pretty sure that “talent is equally distributed” doesn’t mean that everyone is equally talented at any given skill, but that someone can be talented at something, even if they’re not in the group that’s traditionally expected to be talented in that skill. 

• Love 14
On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 12:18 AM, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Right?? Lol I saw one today and the person said something like "no one talks about what you need when you have a new pet!" Well Chewy is there for you. Like really, you've never had a new dog before? And no one you know has either? You don't have anyone you can ask? I can't believe they needed food, and toys, and puppy pads! Who would have thought? Lol

I mean, wouldn't the people from whom she got the puppy (pet store, rescue organization, shelter, etc.) have given them some idea of what to get?  Plus, had she gotten the crate from a pet store, they'd have assembled it for her.

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 6:38 PM, peacheslatour said:

Talent is evenly distributed between diverse people. Opportunity tends to present itself to those with the most resources.

Talent is distributed between diverse groups of people (which is probably more along the lines of what the commercial meant), but it's not distributed evenly amongst all people, and it's not all the same kinds of talent.  For example, no amount of opportunity was going to turn me into a ballerina.  Or a mathematician.   I simply do not have the types of talent required for either of those things.

13 hours ago, janie jones said:

Does anyone think the SimpliSafe guy is creepy?  He always wears a ski mask, even in the bathtub, and his mustache is sticking out.

I keep wondering how he pays the pizza delivery guy.  I mean, even if I use my credit card to order a pizza, I still have to sign the receipt when the delivery person gets to my door.  Now it's usually on his/her cell phone rather than on paper, but I gotta sign something before they'll give me the pizza.  And they prefer tips in cash.

• Love 4

January is the month for all the commercials for diets, workout places, exercise equipment, etc. but the Weight Watchers one with Oprah doing her overdone word emphasis (bread. LOVERRRR!) annoys the crap out of me.

Edited by littlebennysmom
Clarification.
  • LOL 3
  • Love 9

Apologies to Matthew McConnehey fans, but I can't stand him.  Now he's all over the place in Lincoln ads (like he'd propel me to buy a Lincoln).  But the latest with him in the arctic like an escaped serial killer whistling the Andy Griffith theme makes my skin crawl.

It's on all the time.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Apologies to Matthew McConnehey fans, but I can't stand him.  Now he's all over the place in Lincoln ads (like he'd propel me to buy a Lincoln).  But the latest with him in the arctic like an escaped serial killer whistling the Andy Griffith theme makes my skin crawl.

It's on all the time.

He *always* makes my skin crawl. I don't understand the fascination with him nor do I understand exactly *why* I I find him so freakin' creepy.

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

He *always* makes my skin crawl. I don't understand the fascination with him nor do I understand exactly *why* I I find him so freakin' creepy.

The only (emphasize ONLY) role I thought he was good in was the spooky sheriff in Frailty, directed by and starring our ever-beloved late Bill Paxton.  McConnehey turned out to be...oh hell, watch the film in honor of Bill.  I miss him.  Gone way too soon.

• Love 1

I read somewhere once that he doesn't bathe very often or use deodorant. Whenever I watch his films I feel sorry for the costars. 

The only (emphasize ONLY) role I thought he was good in was the spooky sheriff in Frailty, directed by and starring our ever-beloved late Bill Paxton.  McConnehey turned out to be...oh hell, watch the film in honor of Bill.  I miss him.  Gone way too soon.

My boss and Bill Paxton were cousins.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, spiderpig said:

The only (emphasize ONLY) role I thought he was good in was the spooky sheriff in Frailty,

Matthew McConnehy was fantastic in the first season of True Detective.  It's the only time I've ever appreciated his acting skills.  The Lincoln commercial is on waaay too much.

• Love 5

SoClean sleep equipment cleaner- a cute blond with black-framed glasses and a spotty 'English' accent, who says her name is 'Bob'.

She switches from 'posh' upper-class accents to kinda Cockney ('Tha's a law-a hassle!'), interspersed with what I assume is her native American accent.

Why would this company think having a fake Brit do this ad makes any sense? Why couldn't they find a real one, if they were so convinced it was a winning strategy? TV is FILLED with British and Aussie actors pretending to be Americans in various shows- couldn't SoClean have nabbed one to use their genuine accent for their ad? 

My guess: 'Bob' is some ad agency executive's girlfriend.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, spiderpig said:

It's on all the time.

I haven't seen that one yet.  Sounds like I should hope I never do.

19 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

January is the month for all the commercials for diets, workout places, exercise equipment, etc. but the Weight Watchers one with Oprah doing her overdone word emphasis (bread. LOVERRRR!) annoys the crap out of me.

I get what they were going for, and being a bread LOVERRRR! myself, I understand the craving, but yeah, the way she says it is extremely annoying.  (Thanks for the LOVERRRRR!, btw.)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

SoClean sleep equipment cleaner- a cute blond with black-framed glasses and a spotty 'English' accent, who says her name is 'Bob'.

She switches from 'posh' upper-class accents to kinda Cockney ('Tha's a law-a hassle!'), interspersed with what I assume is her native American accent.

Why would this company think having a fake Brit do this ad makes any sense? Why couldn't they find a real one, if they were so convinced it was a winning strategy? TV is FILLED with British and Aussie actors pretending to be Americans in various shows- couldn't SoClean have nabbed one to use their genuine accent for their ad? 

that whole spot is weird.  can't figure it out.

• Love 1
On 1/12/2020 at 6:54 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I haven’t actually seen the ad in question, but I’m pretty sure that “talent is equally distributed” doesn’t mean that everyone is equally talented at any given skill, but that someone can be talented at something, even if they’re not in the group that’s traditionally expected to be talented in that skill. 

Absolutely. I really like that ad and I think the message is true.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

On the subject of "snotty brats", I noticed a new one for Dominos Pizza, I think, in which a mother is serving pizza for some sort of party and this one little girl sniffs "I don't DO gluten!". I so want to smack that brat!

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

On the subject of "snotty brats", I noticed a new one for Dominos Pizza, I think, in which a mother is serving pizza for some sort of party and this one little girl sniffs "I don't DO gluten!". I so want to smack that brat!

Don't smack the kid, smack the parents that encourage that type of shit.

• Love 15

Have the Crime Stoppers commercials been discussed here? I can't STAND them! Especially the one with the woman calling from the bar. First, I can't understand what's being said bc it's so muffled and second, the moment she hangs up, I think she starts hitting on the guy she just reported. Huh?

• Love 1

This one is more in the category of disgusting rather than annoying, irritating or anger making. But, we don't have a category of disgusting. I think it's for some cell phone service, I've gotten glimpses of a cartoon fox. But as soon as they start talking about chunky milk, I reach for the remote and try not to barf. There's a tag line of "that's not right." Yup, this whole concept is just not right.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, friendperidot said:

This one is more in the category of disgusting rather than annoying, irritating or anger making. But, we don't have a category of disgusting. I think it's for some cell phone service, I've gotten glimpses of a cartoon fox. But as soon as they start talking about chunky milk, I reach for the remote and try not to barf. There's a tag line of "that's not right." Yup, this whole concept is just not right.

I hate that one. As soon as they say chunky milk I have to switch to another channel until its over. I don't generally have a strong stomach when it comes to gross stuff. The one and only time I watched it through I almost threw up and my stomach was upset for hours. The only thing I like about that one or the one with girls that shouts at the end with confetti and stuff like "Confident she's becoming" is their at the end so you know its coming and there's enough time to switch over or mute the TV to avoid it.

One commercial that annoys me more then gross is the one about the drug for the flu. The one where the woman "disappears" and its just her clothes at her job, on the couch or in bed. Showing how your not there when the flu happens. There's a moment where she or her clothes puts her bowl in the sink that's filled with other bowls and mugs. Okay, so you assume she lives alone because of that and they hadn't shown anyone with her. Then the very next scene she's or her pajamas is being tucked in by her boyfriend or husband. Then why is the sink so full? He clearly is feeling fine so why hasn't he been doing the dishes? He's tucking her in so he's supposedly "taking care of her" but that doesn't extend to the dishes and cups? At what point does he do them when there's no room in the sink or never and she has to wait until she's feeling better for them to get done. They really could have just cut him completely. You don't see him until that scene and never again unless maybe she dumped him because he couldn't be bothered to do the dishes while she was sick.

• Love 4

I admit that I never was a fan of Match (and, frankly, think the whole concept of a person letting a company set one up for dates is dubious and sketchy at best). But do they truly believe they'll get viewers to part ways with their monies by having Rebel Wilson shill for them in a hot pink deejay set? The one of her having a lengthy crying jag breakdown at the thought of dating was grating,  depressing and annoying rather than clever or funny, IMO- and her ending it by saying folks should try Match didn't inspire the slightest confidence. Granted, the most positive emotion I feel for Miss Wilson is that of pity, but I can't say her shilling for this company has gained me any points. So between my disliking that company and disbelieving their claims and my   considering pity for Miss Wilson as the most positive thing I can say about her (and disliking being saturated with my least favorite color which is pink) , I can honestly say that these ads are perfect matches made in purgatory! 

• Love 10

The commercial for Peyronie's disease is absolutely Bs. The medication is at best only 30%effective  and is given by injection in a series for a cost of 48,000.00. Yeah that's right! 48, thousand. With lots of possible side effects. What a scam! False hope  for those affected.

I was going to say that making it penis-shaped is a bit too on-the-nose, but then I actually looked them up, and the train is specifically the shape of the condoms (or at least the drawings on their website).

I also learned that Trojan has a new "Trojan Man," who is not at all sexy. He seems like another version of the sleazy Ladies' Man from SNL.  I thought the Trojan Man back in the day used to be the warrior guy?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Yes, but I didn't think that they would make it that obvious that they were going there with the commercial.  I thought they would have been much more subtle about it.

It's a commercial for a "g-spot condom".  I don't think subtlety is an option.

I think the train is mildly funny, given the much-parodied history of train-in-tunnel imagery as sexual innuendo.  But no condom commercial will ever best this one:

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
On 1/14/2020 at 9:01 AM, sempervivum said:

I think her name is Barb.  But it took me a while to figure it out.

• Useful 2

Bratty kids: Tide pods, some new super duper strength kind. This is demonstrated by clueless parents looking on slack-jawed as their horrid children make a huge mess eating spaghetti and then rolling around in a mud puddle (which is inexplicably in their back yard). They make no move to STOP their moron offspring from doing these things, they just meekly do the laundry.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
On 1/11/2020 at 6:45 AM, icemiser69 said:

Yup, I guess they can't get rid of the harmonica during the Jimmy Dean sausage commercials.  I never did notice it until someone mentioned it here.  Thanks a bunch.

That was me. I hate that friggin harmonica 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, ShortyMac said:

I'm tired of the Peloton commercial with the dad and his bad singing. "Ready or not, here I come, you can't hide..." It seems like it's every other ad. 

That and the (GrubHub I think) one with Lizzo. I like her but they play that commercial to death.

• Love 6

Weird new age music too.

Are you talking about "Everybody, Everybody"? Haha, it's a dance song from the early '90s.

Ugh, there's a lip pencil--or crayon, rather--commercial and the narrator lady, several times, says "grayon" with a G.

• Love 2

As I sit here for about five minutes, three of the ads being discussed were just played. 

I'm okay with the puppy being in the Chewy ad, as if he's already in his new home.  We want to see the cute puppy.  A puppy ad without a puppy is just wrong.  And it's true that new dog owners will get all kinds of advice, even if they've had dogs all their lives.  It's what we do.  Same thing with new babies, new cars, new appliances, new lovers -- people will give advice on how to care for them.

I like McConaughey.  He's a great talk show guest -- really knows how to tell a story and doesn't come off as narcissistic as the ads imply.  Have no clue about his personal hygiene. 

I just hate all the pharmaceutical ads.  Whenever I see one, all I can think is "Why don't you put that money into research?"  And I imagine all the people who have those conditions bombarding their caregivers with requests to prescribe the drug.  Pimping drugs to patients just seems wrong.  We're not being shown new surgical techniques -- why show us the new drugs?  Especially when the possible side effects are so potentially devastating.

• Love 11

like McConaughey.  He's a great talk show guest -- really knows how to tell a story and doesn't come off as narcissistic as the ads imply.  Have no clue about his personal hygiene. 

I have no issue with him either. Fragrance and car ads just seem to emphasize the douchier aspects of humanity.

Don't get me started on the profligate spending of pharmaceutical companies.

• Love 4

LOL the O'zempic ad featuring the dude from "James Main Street Music."  Can they not find somebody who actually knows one or two chords to pretend to be a musician?  Yeah right this guy is a luthier!  Looks like he's never held a guitar in his life!  😂 And why do all these stupid drug ads have these old guys playing in bands anyway?  That and wood-working.  How bout showing some oldsters sitting at casino machines or just sitting in a chair in their house asleep with the news on?  lol...

and btw I'm 53, so pretty much and oldster myself.  

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5