Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 10/29/2019 at 11:41 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

The ad I have to mute these days is the one for pizza where the hubby and wife are flat on the table, cheeks on the table, curious as to how flat their pizza really is!!  Ugh.

I hate the one where the couple is watching their pizza cook and marveling at how big it is. The woman says "Well you know what they say - everything's bigger in New York." He says "That's Texas." She replies "Let it go, Matty." Let what go??

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
3 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I haven't seen this commercial mentioned yet. Every time I hear her say, "Use a cocktail stick!" I feel stabby!

It's in the Favorites thread.  I wonder if watching his show or knowing more about him than that he's a cranky chef lends some special meaning or humor to the commercial, because as the stand-alone it is to me, it's just there.  It doesn't bug me like it does you, but it doesn't make me laugh like it does others, either.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It's in the Favorites thread.  I wonder if watching his show or knowing more about him than that he's a cranky chef lends some special meaning or humor to the commercial, because as the stand-alone it is to me, it's just there.  It doesn't bug me like it does you, but it doesn't make me laugh like it does others, either.

Same here. Just kind of meh.

• Love 1

The problem with the Verizon/Gordon Ramsey ad is that his response is so unnatural, so obviously a line that he's paid to say.  Yeah, it's weird to see him making quesadillas in a warehouse store, but it's also weird for someone to use that line as an example of a waste of talent.

And what is he really making?  I've never seen a quesadilla that looked anything like what's sitting on his tray.  And what's the matter with using your hands?  The guy's not diving into a bowl of the things.

That godawful GMC ad with the husband whose wife chooses the SUV that he wanted for himself is on again.  I wish my husband was better with the remote.  He insists on being in control during the football games, but he's not good at it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

The problem with the Verizon/Gordon Ramsey ad is that his response is so unnatural, so obviously a line that he's paid to say.  Yeah, it's weird to see him making quesadillas in a warehouse store, but it's also weird for someone to use that line as an example of a waste of talent.

And what is he really making?  I've never seen a quesadilla that looked anything like what's sitting on his tray.  And what's the matter with using your hands?  The guy's not diving into a bowl of the things.

That godawful GMC ad with the husband whose wife chooses the SUV that he wanted for himself is on again.  I wish my husband was better with the remote.  He insists on being in control during the football games, but he's not good at it.

Neither is mine. He's not on it. He spaces out during commercials but I'm not shy about calling him out and grabbing it back. Ha ha!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Gaaahhhh! Just heard a commercial for something, it annoyed me so much I forgot what it was... It said  something like "November is Black Friday Month".  Sheesh the whole month now.  And then I heard a Kohl's commercial for their Sunday Black Friday sale... just no!

• Love 11

I hate the commercial for some real estate app that shows these women in a real housewives-type reality show talking about the "garbage pig" next door who will hopefully bring them more wine. Then the wine-swilling shrew turns into a non-collagen enriched woman sipping lemonade in her backyard. Her neighbor is peering over the fence saying, "Hi, Leslie!" to which the woman replies, "You know my name's not Leslie." But the neighbor says again, "Hi, Leslie!" The whole set up is stupid.

Then there's the one I frequently see on the ID Channel with Candace DeLong interrogating a young woman about the ID Go app. I love Candace DeLong all the long day and she's an excellent story teller, but as far as acting goes ... no.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Gaaahhhh! Just heard a commercial for something, it annoyed me so much I forgot what it was... It said  something like "November is Black Friday Month".  Sheesh the whole month now.  And then I heard a Kohl's commercial for their Sunday Black Friday sale... just no!

Brick and mortar stores are losing market share to online retailers. They've got to do *something* to get you in the door.......

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I hate the commercial for some real estate app that shows these women in a real housewives-type reality show talking about the "garbage pig" next door who will hopefully bring them more wine. Then the wine-swilling shrew turns into a non-collagen enriched woman sipping lemonade in her backyard. Her neighbor is peering over the fence saying, "Hi, Leslie!" to which the woman replies, "You know my name's not Leslie." But the neighbor says again, "Hi, Leslie!" The whole set up is stupid.

Then there's the one I frequently see on the ID Channel with Candace DeLong interrogating a young woman about the ID Go app. I love Candace DeLong all the long day and she's an excellent story teller, but as far as acting goes ... no.

See, I find the Candace DeLong one hysterical because she’s kind of making fun of herself. The whole tone is jokey from the start, and then the girl says, “Are you all right?” As Candace does yet another intense stare/head lowering. Makes me laugh every time. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
25 minutes ago, Calamity Jane said:

See, I find the Candace DeLong one hysterical because she’s kind of making fun of herself. The whole tone is jokey from the start, and then the girl says, “Are you all right?” As Candace does yet another intense stare/head lowering. Makes me laugh every time. 

"Mmhm." 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

Brick and mortar stores are losing market share to online retailers. They've got to do *something* to get you in the door.......

True although actually having the products they advertise would help. I've lost count on how many times they advertise something in their ADs or online that brick and mortar stores don't have in stock or if they do its never in a store its never one in my city. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

True although actually having the products they advertise would help. I've lost count on how many times they advertise something in their ADs or online that brick and mortar stores don't have in stock or if they do its never in a store its never one in my city. 

I've just had the opposite problem, the website won't ship to my house, so I had to ship it to store to pick it up. I'm sure something will catch my eye for presents.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That stinks.

Right? The whole point of ordering on line is so you don't have to drive somewhere, deal with parking and wandering around the store. I like getting stuff delivered to my door. Of course, I'm  basically a hermit introvert so YMMV.

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
46 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Right? The whole point of ordering on line is so you don't have to drive somewhere, deal with parking and wandering around the store. I like getting stuff delivered to my door. Of course, I'm  basically a hermit introvert so YMMV.

Oh, I absolutely am, as well. What I was shopping for is sold out everywhere, except the one place that won't deliver to my house.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I used to tell people at Christmas, "If Amazon doesn't sell it, you aren't getting it." 

Other than groceries, I buy almost everything online. Except athletic shoes. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

1 hour ago, Popples said:

Oh, I absolutely am, as well. What I was shopping for is sold out everywhere, except the one place that won't deliver to my house.

37 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

I used to tell people at Christmas, "If Amazon doesn't sell it, you aren't getting it." 

All I do is online shopping too. Due to my medical problems I'm housebound I can't go anywhere. I miss real shopping, being able to go into a store, look around and examine items. Being able to pick up sheets and tell if their what I like instead of order and hope for the best. Same with other products. Instead of just ordering and seeing when you get it. If its not then the pain of shipping it back. I keep trying to do shopping at Sears with my dad going to pick up stuff trying to keep the stores going but they never have in stock what they have in the AD or if they do its in another city. They didn't have things in stock when I could go into stores and they still don't. If they want to get people going into stores it might help to have what's in the AD.  I do hate that Walmart doesn't ship everything or at least give you the option. We don't have one near us. There used to be a Kmart for years but the last several years before it closed it went down hill and no matter what was in the AD they never had anything in stock. Amazon is the best they have so much and it makes it easier to shop all in one place and they do give you a lot of information but I still being able to pick up a shirt or sheets and see its what I'm looking for instead waiting for it to arrive to find out.

We tried grocery delivery through one of the stores a couple years ago when my mom was sick and I was still sick. It was suppose to make things easier for my dad who was the only one who could take care of us. One less thing to do. Except it didn't. We put on every time no substitutions because the three of us had various food restrictions. They ignored it every time. They constantly substituted for things we couldn't eat. They kept giving us weird stuff that wasn't even close to what we ordered. Stuff we didn't order. Dad had to back into the store to return and swap out. We finally gave up and haven't tried another one since. 

• Love 1

Why do commercials for any kind of food that one might dip into something have to be so messy?! Seriously, there's a Popeye's one shows a hand just slamming that chicken into some kind of sticky-looking condiment, causing it to splash into the air and ooze down the side of the bowl (because it appears to be a small glass ramekin as opposed to a little plastic cup)! 

Sort of related, there's a restaurant commercial (Panera or Olive Garden) in which we see a closeup of a lady's hands tearing her panini (or something) in half. But these hands are positioned as if she's about to angrily break a pencil or a twig, and not soft bread and melted cheese. It's weird and it annoys me as much as the unnaturally positioned thumbs in commercials that show people drinking from a labeled bottle.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Doesn't work on me.  I avoid anything Black Friday like the plague.

2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Whereas I buy as little as possible online.  I don't want stuff delivered to my house when I'm not there.  And I don't want the store deciding to substitute more expensive things for what I ordered.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Doesn't work on me.  I avoid anything Black Friday like the plague.

Whereas I buy as little as possible online.  I don't want stuff delivered to my house when I'm not there.  And I don't want the store deciding to substitute more expensive things for what I ordered.

Amazon never, ever substitutes things.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm not going to food shop at Amazon.  I buy far too many store brand items for that to be cost efficient.  Same reason I don't use Chewy.com.

Well, yeah. That's why I said "other than groceries...." Amazon delivers fresh foods from Whole Foods. Nope, too spendy for me. 

• Love 2

I do buy quite a few food items from Amazon. I live in the boonies and there is limited availability of foreign food items.  Even many common items aren't readily available. Plus I too am a hermit and don't like to go out any more than absolutely necessary.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I am a little put off by the Alabama football coach (Saban) doing AFLAC commercials.  Whenever he has press conferences, he doesn't come off to me as the most friendly guy.

Is that who that is?  I realized it must be some successful football coach from the ring idea, but I wouldn't know Saban if I fell over him.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I am a little put off by the Alabama football coach (Saban) doing AFLAC commercials. 

That guy is a walking turd.  I normally just let the Aflac commercials run, as the duck mildly amuses me, but that one I change the channel on immediately.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm not going to food shop at Amazon.  I buy far too many store brand items for that to be cost efficient.  Same reason I don't use Chewy.com.

I'm only continuing this because of Chewy, some of the ads are really stupid and I don't care for them, but I have developed an ability to ignore most commercials, they have to be really, really annoying for me to pay much attention. But I like Chewy because I can get large Kong stuffed animal toys for my pit bull really cheap, he destroys them in about an hour, but he still loves them and carries around the remains. I don't throw them out until they are so very disgusting. I can get 40 lbs of Purina Dog chow from them, so if I don't need the dog food to make up my minimum free delivery order from Walmart, Quark gets some new toys. I think next month he's going to get some early Christmas presents.

• Love 1

OK, so I just saw a new Peloton commercial today.  It's a "holiday" theme.  I'm not sure if it's new or just new to me.  It features a perfectly fit young mom getting the bike for Christmas,  Of course, it gets positioned in front of the "wall of glass" window framing a snow-covered forest, in the family room of their multi-million dollar home.  All of this is vlogged on her phone, including her first ride to which she tells her audience that she's very nervous but excited.  I can't imagine why she's nervous.  She's in her own home on an exercise bike for cripes sakes.  Then it seems like we fast forward a year and she's thanking her husband for this most precious gift that's changed her life.  I guess the point is she stuck with it for a year or something.  The whole thing just drips of pretentiousness and hits every mark of what one would expect the life of a social media influencer would be like.  I'm hoping it;s not played too excessively this season or I'll be wearing out my mute button.

Edited by BigBingerBro
  • LOL 1
  • Love 16
On 9/7/2019 at 7:47 PM, TattleTeeny said:

There are actually reasons and FDA guidelines for naming them (both the generic and the brand), which is at least part of why they sound so stupid.

And that LAME music!! OMG it's like some one-hit-wonder teen girl band from 1982 arose from the dead to do the Skyrizi theme song!!  Can hardly watch MSNBC these days with that commercial popping up every ~15 minutes!!! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, TommyBuoy said:

And that LAME music!! OMG it's like some one-hit-wonder teen girl band from 1982 arose from the dead to do the Skyrizi theme song!!  Can hardly watch MSNBC these days with that commercial popping up every ~15 minutes!!! 

OMG, I hate that Skyrizi song with every fiber of my being. I hated it the first time I heard it and I hate even more now. My mute button is going to be begging for death before they stop running that gawdawful thing.

48 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

OMG, I hate that Skyrizi song with every fiber of my being. I hated it the first time I heard it and I hate even more now. My mute button is going to be begging for death before they stop running that gawdawful thing.

Since you can't replace just the mute button, I imagine I will be replacing my remote SEVERAL times in the next year, because political ads.

• Love 8

I absolutely detest the 'Worry Monster' from the Pom pomegranate juice commercials. Not only stupid looking, but it does mean stuff; it's complaining that the guy fell asleep even though the monster was telling him that his girlfriend (or wife) has the password to his phone and 'she knows everything'. Why do these ad agencies think this is a good way to make people buy a product?

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I absolutely detest the 'Worry Monster' from the Pom pomegranate juice commercials. Not only stupid looking, but it does mean stuff; it's complaining that the guy fell asleep even though the monster was telling him that his girlfriend (or wife) has the password to his phone and 'she knows everything'. Why do these ad agencies think this is a good way to make people buy a product?

It's so insulting. They treat potential consumers like they're mentally deficient 12 year olds. Won't see any of my money.

• Love 3

"Constipation can happen all around us, you just need to know where to look."

Sorry, no. I don't need to look for constipation.

Edited by Brookside
To actually make sense and reflect the ad!
  • LOL 13
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I envision that the band from the Humira commercial is singing it and that makes me hate it even more!

Well, they wouldn't be singing it with words, because their singer can only vocalize "ahhh, ahhh, ahhh"

In other news, I swear to God that I saw a Mucinex commercial, I think Halloween-themed, in which at the end the giant booger was saying, "don't eat me!" as a crowd moved in on him. Was this a nightmare, or was it real?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

Well, they wouldn't be singing it with words, because their singer can only vocalize "ahhh, ahhh, ahhh"

In other news, I swear to God that I saw a Mucinex commercial, I think Halloween-themed, in which at the end the giant booger was saying, "don't eat me!" as a crowd moved in on him. Was this a nightmare, or was it real?

Well, it's real, but still might be a nightmare. To a crowd of zombies - "Don't eat me, I taste terrible!" Hee.

• Love 2

Im sorry to her fans but: Tina Fey,  get your big, dumb, overrated face away from Mayhem!  You don't have to be in EVERYTHING!   I never liked her and now she's ruining my favorite commercials.  I'll never understand her extreme popularity. 

Edited by Rescue Mama
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I really don't need to see the Always commercial. "Sixty percent of women are wearing the wrong size pad".  Yikes, that is TMI.

It doesn't makes sense to me.  If your pad isn't absorbing enough, why don't you just get a different one?  They're all in the same aisle together, did you never notice the other ones?

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't think it's a correct statistic, anyway, cause there's a huge number of us who have gone through menopause, either naturally or surgically, and have no need for a freakin' pad, no matter what size.

I think it probably means 60% of women who buy pads, not all women.  But I do hate the commercial.

• Love 2
On 11/4/2019 at 1:33 PM, Colleenna said:

Plus the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas is about a week shorter than usual this year.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I nuclear explosion hate the Pepto Bismol commercials. All of them. 

I don't know, the one with the flight attendants, with the one singing, so sweetly, "diarrhea" cracks me up. I have a friend that's a flight attendant and even though he looks nothing like this guy, I can picture him singing that. He has a rather wicked sense of the absurd.

• Love 3
On 11/7/2019 at 4:09 PM, sempervivum said:

I absolutely detest the 'Worry Monster' from the Pom pomegranate juice commercials.

"Your're gonna chafe, Jake!  YOU'RE GONNA CHAFE!"  That one cracks me up every time.

• Love 3
On 11/6/2019 at 5:33 PM, BigBingerBro said:

I'm hoping it;s not played too excessively this season or I'll be wearing out my mute button.

I've been seeing it a lot, as well as the just as pretentious "forget enjoying Christmas morning, you need to ride your pretentiotron bike" ad they're also running.

On another note, as some have mentioned I too am seeing a ton of reused ads from previous years

• Love 5