Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, bannana said:

IIRC, Brenda Benet who play Lee on DOOL, killed herself after the death of her young son.  They just wrote her out of the storyline altogether.  I think that was again because she was so associated with the role, and because of the tragedy and circumstances of what lead to her death.  Wow, I still remember that, it had quite an impact at the time, even before social media.

I remember her as well. She was getting quite popular as the spoiler for the Doug & Julie romance. I’m sure Kristoff will get a big send off and remembrance. He was on a looooong time and was the figurehead of the Winters family. Time really flies though. I remember him on Gemerations and then when he came to Y&R. I can’t believe it was 1991.   

• Love 9
1 hour ago, JasonCC said:

I doubt they'll recast--probably just insert Nate into storylines that had been for Neil (but would they even need to do that? The Winters family has been so reduced to a shadow of it's former self).

It would be a class act if Eileen would come back for a one-off funeral episode.

peacheslatour: you must be in Seattle too! The snow drives the local media crazy here (I say as I work from home). I think they should do a somber mention in the credits and then creatively edit what he's done and write the character off the show officially. No recast.

Are you in Seattle? Can you believe how big a deal they make of a few inches of snow? Although I'm damn glad I didn't have to drive in it, it's still seems silly to have hours of news coverage about something we could figure out by looking out of our windows.

• Love 7

Y&R didn't do an on-screen remembrance because they probably didn't have enough time but I am curious if Pop does something tomorrow morning...maybe they can insert something at the end..

...my first memory of KSJ was when he appeared on the Cosby show..he had a great line where he says he doesn't believe in grades and then when I found him on young & the restless, it was nice to see him again.....

Rest In Peace, Kristoff

• Love 14
2 hours ago, ByTor said:

Speaking of Victoria Rowell, interesting that KSJ had been asking to bring her back.  I'm glad to see he stayed on her side throughout.

I hadn’t heard that Kristoff had been asking to bring back VW. She’s been gone for so long that I thought that this story was long dead. I have read over the years of the bad feelings between her and CBS. I did enjoy their relationship years ago on Y&R but then it seemed like she’d kind of gone off the rails re:CBS. Perhaps you have more information than I have. At any rate, it just seemed to me that it would be more seemly to make a comment about him to give some consolation to his family and friends. Leave the other stuff for some other time.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Wow! He was only 52. I've been watching him since the Bad News Bears with him and Tricia Cast.

I'm shocked, too. I've grown up watching this guy. Y&R airs in Sacramento at 11 am and I remember the show playing when my mom would get me ready for kindergarten.

I felt sad after Benjamin Henderson 's suicide (one also prompted from the death of a brother and mother within months of ech other, and probably triggered by having to bury his on-screen daughter), but this....this is different when you've watched  it your whole life. :(

RIP.

• Love 11
24 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

I hadn’t heard that Kristoff had been asking to bring back VW. She’s been gone for so long that I thought that this story was long dead. I have read over the years of the bad feelings between her and CBS. I did enjoy their relationship years ago on Y&R but then it seemed like she’d kind of gone off the rails re:CBS. Perhaps you have more information than I have. At any rate, it just seemed to me that it would be more seemly to make a comment about him to give some consolation to his family and friends. Leave the other stuff for some other time.

Oh I definitely have no inside information.  VR said in her tweet that was posted here "Ain’t no mountain high enough, to keep me from you, my beloved @kristoffstjohn1 —though denied for a decade, you never stopped requesting for us to be reunited"

• Love 9

I would never begrudge Victoria Rowell her feelings about her friend and former on-screen husband, but I found the whole CBS jab inappropriate at such a time. Just keep it to KSJ. Don't make it about you right now. Apologies to anyone this may offend, but I found that part in very poor taste.

• Love 23

Yes, I read that too but that’s her talking. We don’t have any other proof or backup of what she said as far as I’ve been able to find out. At any rate, I am so sad about his death. That’s all that really matters.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Gam2 said:

Yes, I read that too but that’s her talking. We don’t have any other proof or backup of what she said as far as I’ve been able to find out. At any rate, I am so sad about his death. That’s all that really matters.

I'll take her word for it :) . That's some awesome loyalty from him, and yeah, it's really sad that such a kind person is gone.

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I'll take her word for it :) . That's some awesome loyalty from him, and yeah, it's really sad that such a kind person is gone.

25 plus years watching him. Speechless. 

• Love 17
11 hours ago, DeafAngelboy23 said:

RIP Kristoff St. John (July 15, 1966 - February 3, 2019) 

Good bye to one of the most iconic soap actors & we are going to miss you very much. I know it was not happy time for you but we also know you are no longer in pain. Rest In Peace & we love you... 🙏🏻

2A9CD009-BCF2-45D4-A948-13FD52C6D5B8.jpeg

A man for all seasons... 🙏🏻

If you knew what I’m talking about then you know but if not? I’ll show you where it came from...

“More is a man of an angel's wit and singular learning. I know not his fellow. For where is the man of that gentleness, lowliness and affability? And, as time requireth, a man of marvelous mirth and pastimes, and sometime of as sad gravity. A man for all seasons." 

Robert Whittington back in the 1520s tried to describe St. Thomas More due to his legendary defiance to King Henry VIII.

The last sentence in the quote have always stayed with me for years.

• Love 20

I just read about KSJ. I'm so sad. And mad. It's so tragic but I have been worried about him since last year. I'm just heartbroken he was never able to get over the loss of his son. RIP, sir. 

• Love 20

Isn't it sad?

VR... that Tweet is just the essence of all that is wrong with VR's career. 

Maybe show will open with something tomorrow?  Big reaction.  Should get them moving.

I too hope that Neil is written out dead and sent off properly.  Even a Jeanne Cooperesque special episode could be in order.   Again, so much press about this.  

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Big Blue Plate said:

VR... that Tweet is just the essence of all that is wrong with VR's career. 

God, it truly was. I just... *facepalm*

1 hour ago, Big Blue Plate said:

I too hope that Neil is written out dead and sent off properly.

This. 

• Love 14
8 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

Please don’t let them do what B&B did to OG Sally Spectra and just send him off to some island somewhere.

Yeah, I thought about this, and they better not.  This IMO was a slap in the face to Darlene Conley, and would be one to KSJ.

21 minutes ago, Anna Yolei said:

I went to therapy for a year and a half and have finally began to feel secure in myself.

awww that's so good to hear!  Keep working on it, you deserve to feel good about yourself.

@spinxella, thanks for sharing all those tweets!  I really liked the one from "Luca Santori," how KSJ was one of a few who were nice to him.  It was said for a long time that the Y&R set isn't a pleasant place to be, I'm glad he was honest about that.

• Love 19

It's lovely to see folks can take time out from being sad to dump all over VR and twist her sharing a comment about how kind and supportive her friend was into something ugly. What a tribute to KSJ's memory to assume the worst of her.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

Agreed.  For me, I hope this not only opens up a conversation about mental health I general, but also mental health in the black community.  As a culture we are still so closed off from that conversation and mental health doesn’t have the same level of importance as physical health.  

As a Black man, it's always amazing to me how some family members believe they can "pray the depression away."  While I do believe in the power of prayer, it's not always that simple.  Sometimes clinical interventions are needed.  Neil was never one of my favorite characters, but I always liked KSJ.  I hope he finally found peace.

• Love 21
9 hours ago, bannana said:

Yes, I believe this is true.  My brother died when I was 13, he was 19 and my parents honestly never got over it.  They lived on, but they had serious issues from that time on.  They probably had mental health issues before that, but his death exacerbated those and his death affected them terribly.

What strikes me about the many posts and tweets about KSJ is that everyone describes him as a loving, open, generous person, with a sense of joy.  But still he had this painful internal struggle with depression, and especially after his son died.  You look at someone like him and think, he has a great life, he has a great job, money, family, he is fit and healthy.  Yet the pain and despair he must have been feeling was overwhelming.  So much so that he was in that black hole called depression and couldn't climb out.  It is truly heartbreaking but my hope is that this will help advance the conversation about mental health and depression.

So sorry for your loss @bannana. That must have been especially tough at 13. To lose your brother and also your parents in a sense.

And I agree. I think KSJ’s death is resonating for many (this has been heavily covered in mainstream press) because he was in the prime of his life, gorgeous, fit, comfortably rich, and yet he was so tormented he couldn’t bear it. If anyone doubted how devastating mental health issues are this ought to snap them out of it.

• Love 22
11 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

It takes time and determination to self-medicate with alcohol to the point of toxicity.

Mr. Vixenstud and I were talking about Kristoff some more last night, and:

Remember Debralee Scott?  (For those of us watching tv during the 70's)  She was a character actress, best known as Rosalie 'Hotsy' Totsy on Welcome Back Kotter.  Anyway, she had a fiance who died in the 9/11 buildings and never got over it; she drank so much she eventually died in her sleep.

Hotsy Totsy.jpg

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 19
4 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

As a Black man, it's always amazing to me how some family members believe they can "pray the depression away."  While I do believe in the power of prayer, it's not always that simple.  Sometimes clinical interventions are needed.  Neil was never one of my favorite characters, but I always liked KSJ.  I hope he finally found peace.

Yeah. I brought that up to my brother who insists I'd feel more peace of I "let God into [my] life," to which I had to remind him all the praying in the world didn't fix my teenage degression and self-worth, his ADHD and depression when he was bullied and harrassed by racists teacher who told his homeschool teacher he lied about everything (including having a dog of all things! The teacher was so appalled by all of it that she quit the following year when she found this was happening to other kids!) or budged my mom's anxiety. 

Why the hell anyone would want to worship a Good that plauged them with this illness is beyond my understanding.

I could make a whole essay on how and why mental illness is so rampant in our community, but you're right that we need to be having these conversations. Younger kids are doing this and that is great.

• Love 9

Lee Thompson Young (of Rizzoli & Isles) is another that comes to mind - actively working series regular who seemed to have so much going for him but was depressed, and his coworkers were on set to film when they learned about him. So very sad.

• Love 14

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/kristoff-st-johns-final-airdate-revealed/

KRISTOFF ST. JOHN’S FINAL AIRDATE REVEALED

February 5, 2019 4:09PM

Kristoff St. John’s final airdate as Y&R’s Neil Winters will air on Wednesday, February 6. A special tribute to the late actor, who joined the soap in 1991, will air on Friday, February 8. St. John passed away over the weekend, and tributes have been posted online from colleagues and friends.

• Love 10

God, I'm still reeling from this news. I'd been worried ever since his suicide attempt last year that something would happen to him. Every time I would notice his absence on Y&R, like when they said Neil moved closer to the prison, I would worry it had to do with his mental health. I am devastated that he couldn't find a way to live in this world without his son, especially since he had two daughters who were still living. But, I guess a loss of a child is not something everyone can learn to live with, and it seemed the more time had passed since Julian's death, the more KSJ's struggles came to light. From all the tweets I've been reading, he was truly a lovely man who was friendly and warm and empathetic which just makes his loss all the more tragic. It reminds me a bit of Robin Williams. He was another actor who always had a smile on his face and loved to make others laugh, and yet, he too couldn't live in this world. R.I.P Kristoff. I hope you find the peace you were so desperately searching for in life. 

• Love 23