Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Christopher cousins (Cain Rogan, OLTL) has been cast as Ashley’s psychiatrist friend from Paris. 

Oh for christssake! Now that means an even longer arc to this stupid story line. If I was Audra I'd tell Fucker, "Prive to ke you're only into me. Let's move to Paris tonight." Because their alleged new company is there oui? So GO THERE already!!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
20 hours ago, Artsda said:

I'm surprised Ashley's psychiatrist friend is real. I assumed it was an alter. 

Yeah so did I. But I love CC, so hopefully it will be good story,

meanwhile, the Emmy nods are out. EB of course was nominated for lead actor but the only actress nominated for lead was STAFFORD! What the ever loving fuck did she do last year that was remotely Emmy worthy????

• Mind Blown 4
  • Angry 3
(edited)

I am a little surprised that Mark Grossman didn’t get a nomination as Lead Actor.  His work on the loss of his and Sally’s baby was great.  What about Susan Walters and Courtney Hope?  It’s possible some of them could still get recognised in Supporting  

No surprise that Michelle Stafford was nominated again.  Have no idea what she did that was Emmy worthy.  I thought this was finally going to be Melody Thomas Scott’s year to win.  Not even nominated.

Stafford will probably win, this will be her 10th nom and she’s only won once.  Don’t know why the voters are so enamored of her.  At least Jaqueline Macinnes Wood was omitted this year.  Maybe Katherine Kelly Lang can finally win instead.

Edited by blackwing
  • Like 4

I think MTS will get it next year. This year’s awards are for work submitted in 2023. CH might get a supporting nod but she didn’t drive story last year.  Same with Grossman. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, Artsda said:

There was so many more YR choices other than MS. She got nom for what? The screaming at Diane daily?

Maybe for flapping her bat wings around whilst squawking like a deranged beheaded chicken? That's about all she does for the past few years. Thankfully her days of twisted pron arms has passed, thank the deity of your choice for that mercifulness!

• LOL 6
(edited)

Okay, I saw the list of the nominations released so far. I bet B&B will take both Best Actress and Best Actor. I'm less annoyed about the Y&R nominations now.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 2
  • LOL 3
49 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

I suspect MSt submitted the stuff with Stark. I thought it was ridiculous and horribly acted but whatever 

Pretty much describes her every single day.  Ridiculous and horribly acted.  I have absolutely no idea why voters think she is so great.  She makes me want to change the channel as soon as she opens her mouth.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 6

The Supporting and Guest nominations:

Supporting Actress:  Courtney Hope (yay!) and Alison Lanier (ugh)

Supporting Actor:  Bryton James (really?)

Guest Performance:  Linden Ashby

I don't see anything award worthy about Alison Lanier or Bryton James.  I would have included Trevor St. John and Mark Grossman in Supporting Actor and Susan Walters in Supporting Actress.

Susan Walters was good in the "Diane got framed" storyline, but the only person recognised is the ubiquitous Michelle Stafford.  Ugh.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1

Can someone tell me what Allison Lanier could possibly submitted to earn her an Emmy nomination? I’m hard pressed to think of a single story in 2023 that was remotely Emmy worthy. Ditto for BJ.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Sake614 said:

Can someone tell me what Allison Lanier could possibly submitted to earn her an Emmy nomination? I’m hard pressed to think of a single story in 2023 that was remotely Emmy worthy. Ditto for BJ.

It must have been the "Phyllis faked her death" storyline.  I think she's a bad actress and I don't think she's at all believable in her role.

Bryton James, he's won before three times I think, so I guess he's one of those that get nominated just for being there.  Kind of like how Christian LeBlanc always used to get nominated as Lead Actor (8 times in 12 years) without ever doing much.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 4/17/2024 at 11:27 PM, Artsda said:

I'm surprised Ashley's psychiatrist friend is real. I assumed it was an alter. 

I thought she made him up to get Traci off her back about what happened in Paris. 

On 4/18/2024 at 8:16 PM, blackwing said:

I am a little surprised that Mark Grossman didn’t get a nomination as Lead Actor.  His work on the loss of his and Sally’s baby was great.  What about Susan Walters and Courtney Hope?  It’s possible some of them could still get recognised in Supporting  

No surprise that Michelle Stafford was nominated again.  Have no idea what she did that was Emmy worthy.  I thought this was finally going to be Melody Thomas Scott’s year to win.  Not even nominated.

Stafford will probably win, this will be her 10th nom and she’s only won once.  Don’t know why the voters are so enamored of her.  At least Jaqueline Macinnes Wood was omitted this year.  Maybe Katherine Kelly Lang can finally win instead.

Do we know if even MTS qualified for this year? Maybe she didn't and she will get the nom next year with ED? I was hoping that MTS would get it this year and ED next year, so they didn't cancel each other out or one would win and the other wouldn't.

23 hours ago, Sake614 said:

I think MTS will get it next year. This year’s awards are for work submitted in 2023. CH might get a supporting nod but she didn’t drive story last year.  Same with Grossman. 

I think so too and I hope they get SA..CH and MG.

8 hours ago, blackwing said:

The Supporting and Guest nominations:

Supporting Actress:  Courtney Hope (yay!) and Alison Lanier (ugh)

Guest Performance:  Linden Ashby

I don't see anything award worthy about Alison Lanier or Bryton James.  I would have included Trevor St. John and Mark Grossman in Supporting Actor and Susan Walters in Supporting Actress.

Susan Walters was good in the "Diane got framed" storyline, but the only person recognised is the ubiquitous Michelle Stafford.  Ugh.

That's great for CH. I hope she wins. She deserves it. Sad that SW didn't get nominated for either category over MS. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Sake614 said:

How upset she was with her whole mother pretending to be dead? It was ok but not Emmy nom in my opinion over SW.

• Like 1
  • Angry 2
2 hours ago, surfgirl said:

Especially the Daytime variety!

Yeah they’re all nothing more than participation trophies at this point. ‘Congrats to xxx for the best writing nomination.’ With only 4 soaps left, they ALL get best writing, directing and show nominations. And since they each only submit one episode, it isn’t even an accurate reflection of how good or bad the show really is.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 3
(edited)
On 4/19/2024 at 9:18 AM, blackwing said:

Not really a surprise since Bryton is a serial self-nominator.

He's nominated himself, in the easiest to win category possible, almost every year since is he started in 2005ish? Even if he doesn't have a story he sends in his scenes. Most voters don't know if the actor had a story or not. You are only judged on the scenes.

He nominated himself every year -in the younger actor male category-until he aged of it at 26 (I think). Those are as so easy to win, and get nominated for, because there are so few of them, and even fewer of the younger actors know how to nominate themselves.

Then he's nominated himself for supporting actor every year since that.

Edited by LongtimeYRfan
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Angry 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
On 4/19/2024 at 1:30 PM, blackwing said:

Bryton James, he's won before three times I think, so I guess he's one of those that get nominated just for being there.  Kind of like how Christian LeBlanc always used to get nominated as Lead Actor (8 times in 12 years) without ever doing much.

LeBlanc is another one who self nominates frequently. I think MS and PB do also, there is a group of them. So there is a reason some win more than others....it's because they submit themselves all the time. Many actors never, or rarely, bother going through the process. Most just do it when they think they've done a important storyline.

Bryton hasn't won that much at all given the number of self-nominations. I think 18 of them:  9 times in the YOUNGER actor male category (the easy peasy ones) and got 4 noms and 1 win. Another 9 times in the SUPPORTING actor contest and received another 4 noms and 1 win so far. So it's not an impressive result.

PB, CB, and MS all submit for the much tougher to win, LEAD actor award, and have had much better results than Bryton with the noms and wins.

But even if you don't win you get all the fanfare, (lunch's/interviews/media recognition) leading up to the event so it's a major PR thing for themselves also.

Edited by LongtimeYRfan
  • Like 1
  • Useful 5
(edited)

Bryton seems to have been phoning it in the past couple of years. What does he think he deserves an Emmy for?

Back when Nina's mother Flo Webster (Sharon Farrell RIP) was on the show (with the same or less frequency as Michael Baldwin), she'd always be nominated and on/in soap mags & TV guide. More often than the main characters. Her agent must have been working overtime.

Edited by Denize
  • Like 6

Everything Y&R gets a new producer or Showeunner that sucks - which is like all the damn time - we always say 'hope we get someone better and miraculously that never actually happens! Instead, we get an even worse producer or showrunner. It's quite astounding, the level of incompetence that one show can endure. And yet we are all still here. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I'm just tired of the same people moving from soap to soap. Yes, it's a very specialized form of storytelling but surely there is some new talent out there somewhere? Or someone they could lure out of retirement?

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3

This took me by surprise. May she RIP even though I had issues with her husband's writing on GH at times.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/meg-bennett-dead-young-and-restless-1235878548/

Meg Bennett, Soap Opera Actress and Writer, Dies at 75
She multitasked on ‘The Young and the Restless,’ ‘General Hospital’ and ‘Santa Barbara’ and worked on ‘Search for Tomorrow’ and ‘Sunset Beach’ as well.

Meg Bennett, the Daytime Emmy winner who did double duty as an actress and writer on the daytime soap operas The Young and the Restless, General Hospital and Santa Barbara, has died. She was 75.

Bennett died April 11 after a battle with cancer, her family announced.

Bennett portrayed Marty Maraschino for more than two years during the original Broadway run of Grease that kicked off in 1972, then began her long run in daytime two years later with a turn as Liza Walton on CBS’ Search for Tomorrow, where Kevin Kline and Morgan Fairchild were castmates.

She joined CBS’ The Young and the Restless in 1980 as Julia Newman — wife of Eric Braeden’s Victor Newman — but as her character was being written off, she was asked by Y&R creator Bill Bell to stick around as a writer.

“I’d been acting on the show for almost two years when this happened, so I knew the characters,” Bennett said in a 1985 interview. Still, she continued to show up as Julia on and off throughout the years, the last time in 2020.

Bennett wrote for NBC’s Santa Barbara from 1991-93 (and played author Megan Richardson) and wrote for ABC’s General Hospital from 1993-2011 (and portrayed the villainess Allegra Montenegro).

She shared her Daytime Emmy for her work on G.H. in 1995 and was nominated for writing Y&R in 1986, G.H. again in 2000 and 2012 and The Bold and the Beautiful in 2003. She also wrote for NBC’s Generations from 1989-91 and NBC’s Sunset Beach from 1997-98 and won a pair of WGA awards during her career.

ADVERTISEMENT

Helen Margaret Bennett was born on Oct. 4, 1948, and raised in Pasadena. Her mother, Margaret, was a psychologist at Pasadena City College.

Bennett attended John Muir High School in Pasadena, and while majoring in drama at Northwestern University — where Shelley Long was a classmate — she was a homecoming queen, a Miss America contestant, a model in Life magazine and a performer in summer stock.

She moved to New York after graduation in 1970 to pursue acting, landed a modeling job for Cadillac and appeared off-Broadway in Godspell before joining Grease. She also won cash, a car, three rooms of furniture, a sailboat and a trip to Jamaica on the NBC game show Three on a Match, hosted by Bill Cullen.

In her 1985 interview, she wondered if concentrating on either acting or writing would have been enough for her. “I’ll admit, acting makes me a little crazy sometimes: You wait to audition. You wait for the part,” she said. “When you’re writing, you’re in control. I can initiate things on my own when I’m writing.”

Survivors include her husband of 19 years, Sunset Beach co-creator and nine-time Daytime Emmy winner Robert Guza Jr. — they met on G.H. and were frequent writing partners on soaps — two stepdaughters, four grandchildren, a brother and a sister.

She and Guza purchased a home in Beverly Hills in 2003 that had been owned by Boris Karloff and then Gregory Peck.

• Like 4
  • Sad 7

I would not be surprised if her demise was hastened by the abysmal Eve Howard storyline (and it's relation to her former character) currently being shat out on Y&R. (I'm not being serious, obviously)

• Like 1

Meg Bennett was probably the last Y&R writer who was familiar with the characters.  The current writers certainly are not.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/marla-adams-dead-young-and-restless-1235882797/

Marla Adams, Dina on ‘The Young and the Restless,’ Dies at 85
The Emmy winner also appeared on Broadway, played Natalie Wood's BFF in 'Splendor in the Grass' and starred on 'The Secret Storm.'

Marla Adams, the Emmy-winning soap opera veteran who starred as the scheming Dina Abbott Mergeron during parts of five decades on The Young and the Restless, has died. She was 85.

Adams died Thursday in Los Angeles, Matt Kane, director of media and talent for Y&R, announced.

When she was just starting out, Adams appeared in 1958 alongside Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne on Broadway in The Visit and portrayed June, the high school best friend of Natalie Wood‘s Deanie, in Elia Kazan‘s Splendor in the Grass (1961).

Her first prominent role on a daytime drama came on CBS’ The Secret Storm, where she played bad girl Belle Clemens from 1968 until the show’s 1974 demise. “I was the bitch of daytime,” she said in a 2016 interview. “I played a good bitch.”

Adams joined Y&R in 1982 but left when her three-year contract was up. She returned to Genoa City for brief stints in 1991, 1996 and 2008 before being asked by head writer-producer Sally Sussman to go it again in 2017.

“I remember when [Sussman told her], ‘I’m going to bring you back on The Young and the Restless, but you’ve got Alzheimer’s,’ and I said, ‘What!? You’re bringing me back so you can kill me off?'” she recalled in 2020. “And she said, ‘Oh no, it’ll be about a year.’ That dissolved into four years.”

Viewers watched the Abbott matriarch slowly and heartbreakingly unravel before dying in an episode in October 2020. In her final moments, she addressed her kids, Traci (Beth Maitland), Jack (Peter Bergman) and Ashley (Eileen Davidson), before being welcomed into heaven by her first husband, John Abbott (Jerry Douglas).

Eight months later, Adams received the lone Daytime Emmy of her long career.

“From all the characters I’ve played, from The Secret Storm to Broadway, this has been the most astonishing, amazing part I’ve had the privilege to play,” she said.

Marla Adams was born on Aug. 28, 1938, in Ocean City, New Jersey. She was named Miss Diamond Jubilee at the 75th anniversary celebration of her hometown in 1954 and graduated two years later from Ocean City High School.

She spent two years with The American Academy of Dramatic Arts and was hired for The Visit, directed by Peter Brook, on the day she graduated. “I played Alfred Lunt’s daughter, and I thought, ‘Well, it’s going to be downhill from here,'” she told Soap Opera Digest in 2018.

Adams made her big-screen debut in the period drama Splendor in the Grass, which was Warren Beatty‘s first movie, too.

Actors on ‘The Secret Storm,’ clockwise from left: Christina Crawford, Keith Charles, Nicolas Coster, Lori March, Jada Rowland and Marla Adams. EVERETT
After Belle made life miserable for Jada Rowland’s Amy Ames on The Secret Storm, she moved to Los Angeles when the soap was canceled and guest-starred on episodes of The New Dick Van Dyke Show, Harry O, Adam-12, Starsky and Hutch, Marcus Welby, M.D., Barnaby Jones, The Love Boat, Emergency! and Archie Bunker’s Place before landing on Y&R.

The actress also portrayed Mildred Deal on ABC’s General Hospital in 1963; the conniving Myrna Clegg — between turns by Carolyn Jones and Marj Dusay — on CBS’ Capitol in 1983; Helen Mullin on NBC’s Generations in 1989-90; Beth Logan on CBS’ The Bold and the Beautiful in 1990-91; and Dr. Claire McIntyre on NBC’s Days
of Our Lives in 1999.

She was also nominated for a Daytime Emmy for her turn as Dina in 2018 before winning one three years later.

“On behalf of the entire company of The Young and the Restless, we send our deepest sympathies to Marla’s family,” Josh Griffith, executive producer and head writer of Y&R, said in a statement. “We’re so grateful and in awe of Marla’s incredible performance as Dina Mergeron as both Marla and Dina made an unforgettable mark on [the show].”

Survivors include her children, Gunnar and Pam; grandchildren Gefjon and Stone; and great-grandson Remi.

In her later years, Adams said she was still getting spotted in public. “I’m very big at Walmart,” she said with a laugh. “When I was younger, I was recognized all the time, and now that I’m older, people are like, ‘Is that her? No, that’s not her. It couldn’t be! Just some old lady in sneakers and sweats.'”

• Sad 10
3 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

At least she got to come back to the show fairly recently and finish her storyline.

I liked her. Love this line from the article:

“I was the bitch of daytime,” she said in a 2016 interview. “I played a good bitch.”

You sure did Dina, you sure did!

• Like 7
  • Love 3

I was thinking of her today when watching those scenes with Traci and Ashley and she's come to mind during the Harrison drama, too.  Nothing specific, really, just how much I enjoyed her presence.

What a gift she was.

• Like 7
  • Love 4

“I was the bitch of daytime,” she said in a 2016 interview. “I played a good bitch.”

She sure did play a good bitch, at least on Y&R. Dina was the type who in a lovely way could tell you to go eff yourself and you'd thank her. Then hours later you'd realize what she actually meant. We don't see many characters written with that kind of subtlety anymore.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

She sure did play a good bitch, at least on Y&R. Dina was the type who in a lovely way could tell you to go eff yourself and you'd thank her. Then hours later you'd realize what she actually meant. We don't see many characters written with that kind of subtlety anymore.

I wish I had this talent!

ETA: She also was a beautiful example of allowing an older woman to just be herself on TV, MS take note, aging gracefully is a good thing! 👍 

Edited by surfgirl
  • Like 5
  • Love 2