Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

MCE is expecting Baby #2. 

She's due in August.

image.png.4c08f467a32f872366267d5895a5e143.png

Could a full-blooded sibling (which, I hate that term - a sibling is a sibling) for Johnny be in the works?

Congratulations to this family. I know she and her husband had difficulties having their first child so good for them!

• Like 7

https://www.tvinsider.com/1081991/the-young-and-the-restless-returning-characters-50th-anniversary/?fbclid=IwAR2fSOTqCID1lbazjeg6mF4f_AJSqE-8MRiowwE26xoNPyRKzhcpqk26g1Q

The actresses who played Mamie, Leanna Love, and Gina are supposed to make appearances for the anniversary. 

We finally find out what happened to Maimie This was the second actress to play her. Wonder if she'll have scenes with Lily since she's her great niece. 

Never cared for LL. She did write a book about Victor's bad deeds, I think.

Gina is Danny's sister. She owned Gina's restaurant. Never was lucky in romance. Might've flirted with John Abbott for two minutes.

The article also mentions Danny and Nina's appearances. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

I think it’s only right that when I’ve complained so much about how awful Ashley has been dressing that I say she’s looked very fine the past few days. Her dress and belt are very flattering.

• Like 6

The lede being buried is that Josh Griffin Griffith is now head writer and executive producer, and he has assumed the role of the breakdown staff. That means it's up to him to ensure continuity among the current plotlines as well as with the historical ones. I think we're going to start seeing more oddly cut off and seemingly missing scenes, as well as weird retcons or simple disregard of past events.

Frankly, I don't view this as good news at all. I wouldn't be surprised if Y&R is cancelled later this year after the anniversary celebration.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
yeah whatever
  • Like 3
  • Sad 9
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

He did it as a writers strike may be looming. He'd have nothing to worry about if one happened because he crossed the picket line years ago and went to fi-core status. So it's sounds more like a power move on his part while it would still reduce the show's budget.  I don't think it was solely a "financial decision" at all. One could say he's participating in union busting.

A Financial Core Status (FCS) non-member shall be deemed to have resigned from membership in
the WGAW. By resignation, such person has no rights of membership (as distinguished from
employment rights under a collective bargaining agreement).

4.2 Specifically, a FCS non-member dues payer is NOT entitled to membership rights in the Guild,
such as the right to:

(a) Compete for and receive Writers Guild Awards

(b) Attend membership meetings or any other WGAW events for professional writers

(c) Vote on changes in the credits system

(d) Run for WGAW office

(e) Vote in WGAW elections

(f) Participate in the formation of WGAW bargaining proposals

(g) Vote to ratify or not ratify WGA bargaining agreements

(h) Access the Members Only section of the WGAW website

(i) Use the Guild script registration service at the members’ rate

(j) Join the WGAW’s Film Society

(k) Serve on WGAW committees

(l) Exercise or enjoy any other rights or privileges of WGAW membership unrelated to the
negotiation and administration of collective bargaining agreements (i.e., Strike Loan,
Good & Welfare Loan, and other WGAW assistance programs)

4.3 As long as the FCS non-member continues to pay his or her financial obligations to the WGAW, he or she shall have the right to continue employment and to be represented by the WGAW under an applicable collective bargaining agreement in the same manner as a WGAW member.

4.4 . The WGAW will consider a person’s decision to elect FCS Nonmembership Irrevocable. This is so whether a person makes this decision upon first becoming eligible to join the WGAW, or a later time through resignation.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 11

These were the 28 writers in the 2007-08 writers strike who went fi-core. This article from 2008 lists them and I'll add the parts where writers were named below. The soap writers that did so have all been or were in (in regards to ones who died) head writing positions at one time.

The list includes several winners of daytime Emmys — Paula Cwikly (“The Young and the Restless,” “As the World Turns”), Hogan Sheffer (“Days of Our Lives,” “As the World Turns), Barbara J. Esensten (“The Guiding Light”), Dena Higley (“One Life to Live”) and John F. Smith (“The Young and the Restless,” “The Bold and the Beautiful”). Cwikly, Sheffer and Smith have also won WGA Awards.

Listed for the WGA West: Maria Arena, Marlene Poulter Clark, John F. Cosgrove, Cwikly, Esensten, Jeanne M. Grunwell, Dena Higley, Mark Christopher Higley, Meg Kelly, Michelle Poteet Lisanti, Terry A. Meuer, Shawn Morrison, James E. Reilly, Ridley, Sheffer, John F. Smith, Darrell R. Thomas Jr., Gary Tomlin, Janine Vogelaar and Garin Wolf.

Listed for the WGA East: Priscilla Kay Alden, James Harmon Brown, Michael Conforti, Victor Gialanella, Josh Griffith, Frances Myers and Pete T. Rich.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 4
  • Useful 3

Union-busting is definitely happening but I think the harmful impact of having JG do All the Jobs can't be underestimated.

Imagine the baristas at your local Starbucks are trying to unionize. Starbucks/the store owner preemptively fires all the baristas and has the manager run the store until the unionizing is shut down. That's the manager taking orders, making the drinks, running the cash register, and handling the drive-thru. I'm thinking that store could not remain open for very long.

This is what I bet will happen to Y&R unless they can hold out and hire new writers after the anticipated strike is settled. Allegedly though Sony/CBS wants to keep cutting the budget to its bare bones.

Some fans are speculating Y&R will move to streaming like DOOL did. Since its audience skews older and less technically savvy, the success would be doubtful IMO. That's largely why AMC and OLTL didn't survive on Hulu. (Not to mention expecting people to start paying for a program they got for free for 50 years. Apparently DOOL has lost a huge chunk of its audience since it moved to Peacock.)

On a slightly tangential note, I had already jokingly wondered whether some of Y&R's character dialogue was being written by AI. Now I'm more confident that'll happen with JG trying to do All the Jobs.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 7
  • Useful 2
8 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

The lede being buried is that Josh Griffin is now head writer and executive producer, and he has assumed the role of the breakdown staff. That means it's up to him to ensure continuity among the current plotlines as well as with the historical ones. I think we're going to start seeing more oddly cut off and seemingly missing scenes, as well as weird retcons or simple disregard of past events.

Frankly, I don't view this as good news at all. I wouldn't be surprised if Y&R is cancelled later this year after the anniversary celebration.

I totally agree, 'You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.' Sets disappearing, actors seldom seen, new hires for the most part substandard in their craft, with bare bones storylines and unsatisfying resolutions, if any. The core actors that remain seem to be phoning it in. I also think it will be cancelled or sent to streaming. I think some of the actors are hoping to "move to LA" and be resurrected on B&B. The networks are trending towards dumping afternoon "chat shows" and soaps, and revamping with news shows, which are much less expensive to produce. I don't think this trend can be dismissed rolling into the 2024 election cycle 

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

The worst flaw in this soap is the writing. I am sure there are some older pros and some younger blood that could write decent storylines. It would not have to involve a large staff. Plots and/or actors should not make viewers go “eew” and flip the channel. Casting - no actor/actress is too big to fail; some cast members don’t realize this.

Wardrobe is terrible; if it isn’t purchased at huge discounts then whoever from the show buys it is being cheated.  Sets are shabby and cheap for the most part. How about purchasing vintage or estate sales. Bargains.

But it all comes down to the storylines. If enough people hate them…they are going to tune out. And this falls entirely on the writing. It is abysmal and sometimes insulting to viewers.

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1

I simply cannot see this Wednesday Night Massacre in the Writers' Room as anything but bad news.  YR is already foundering and I cannot see how one man can wear so many hats. 

The head writer writes long term story projections. Following these story lines, the head writer maps out each week.

Usually there are story board meetings where the head writer, associate writers, producers and NETWORK pitch story ideas and decide on story direction. I capitalized NETWORK because YR is noted to have a large amount of network input and control. A former head writer has spoken about how much the network micromanages writing details.

The head writer has a staff of associate writers – breakdown writers, script writers and usually a script editor who makes sure that all the days of the week track.

Based on decisions made about story and character direction, a breakdown writer will then write a description of what his or her assigned episode will include. Basically a scene-by-scene breakdown. This breakdown can also include some production elements.

The script writer then writes dialogue to fit the head writer’s (and network’s) plan and the breakdown writer’s more detailed episode guide.

In a nutshell, it's hard to imagine how JG can do this all himself.

• Like 11
  • Useful 5
  • Love 2
On 2/23/2023 at 1:23 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

The lede being buried is that Josh Griffin Griffith is now head writer and executive producer, and he has assumed the role of the breakdown staff. 

I concur, dude. This show is getting cancelled. I haven't tuned in since Josh Morrow inserted himself in Ally and I was already hanging on by a thread with the disrespectful way they killed off two BIPOC characters in less than a month. I want MG to get out while the getting is good. This show is about to get Guiding Light last days levels of bad in terms of production and Passions level of bad in terms of foolishness. Pour one out for the fan faves, they didn't deserve this.

And the crazy thing is the ratings opportunities are there, there's more opportunity now than ever before due to various broadcast media (mediums?) and with life being absolute shit for almost everyone people are craving nostalgia more than ever. If these stupid soaps would just focus on the Vets and tie old storylines and history with new ones their ratings would be through through roof.

It also doesn't make sense to shove characters in places they don't belong when there's already built in fanbases. Why isn't Nick with Sharon or Phyllis? Why not try Jack, Nicki, Victor triangle again? Why not put Lily with Daniel. If people want Paul and Cricket bring back Paul and Cricket. Bring back Olivia, what happened to Moses and Faith? All the solutions are right there but the HW doesn't want to use them. Fire the guy and bring in Wendy Riche.

Edited by slayer2
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1
On 2/25/2023 at 7:18 PM, Sake614 said:

Well, JG has no one left to blame if things go south. I know he has a huge ego, but how the hell does he expect to do everything by himself???

*If*? Man, they're so south they're in Florida.

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
On 3/12/2023 at 9:52 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Who wore it best:

Summer Newman last week in GC

6AIGlDI.jpg

Or Duane Johnson tonight at the Oscars

ktWQh0m.jpg

Ironically she looks like Sharon here. I think she looks nice. I also loathe The Rock.

Thanks for posting that  CBS Sunday Morning segment.

Boy did it have "party line" written all over it. It's interesting to me who was left out and who was highlighted more. But with the limted amount of time I guess choices had to be made.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Thanks for posting that  CBS Sunday Morning segment.

Boy did it have "party line" written all over it. It's interesting to me who was left out and who was highlighted more. But with the limted amount of time I guess choices had to be made.

Right? And for that asshole to say "oh we'd never do this or that because people would be outraged", also bullshit. He regularly ruins this show on a daily basis.

• Like 7

Can someone who has access to video ( not available in Canada ) please give a description of who was on etc. ? 
Thanks!

2 minutes ago, PatsyandEddie said:

Can someone who has access to video ( not available in Canada ) please give a description of who was on etc. ? 
Thanks!

2 minutes ago, PatsyandEddie said:

NM

• Like 1
4 hours ago, PatsyandEddie said:

Thanks!

They did interviews with Lauralee Bell, Melody Thomas Scott and Eric Braeden (of course) and did an white erase board showing the marriages and affairs between the Newmans and the Abbotts.  They showed quick clips of Nikki as a stripper and then as a corporate executive, Victor and Jack, Neil and Dru, Phyllis and Nick, Michael and Lauren, Lily and ??, Jill and Katherine, Devon and Abby, Doug and Christine, two people I didn't recognize from the early days ... and perhaps one or two others? The clips were very short.

I could have done without an interview with that gasbag Braeden. He was pontificating about how soaps are underappreciated and then says he doesn't give a damn what people think. Go on then, Mr. Thinskin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Applause 2

Lily and ??

Pretty sure that was Hilary.

They also showed a scene being filmed with Sharon and Chance at the coffeehouse. I think it was the one where he was telling her he had experience doing programming when he was in the military.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Multiple news sources are reporting the scientific community's excitement at the discovery that Tyrannosaurus rex and velociraptor dinosaurs may have had lips. So I'm feeling pretty good about all the times I've likened Phyllis to a velociraptor, due to both her duck lips and the flapping arms. No indication yet of what kind of lipstick the dinos wore to accentuate their huge mouths.

Relevant article here.

• Applause 2
  • LOL 7
1 minute ago, gingerella said:

How fucked up that she can't even go grocery shopping in peace.

I saw some intrusive photos of Bridget Fonda like that yet again recently using  "unrecognizable" in a click bait type of way. She hasn't been in the business since the early 2000's yet these paparazzos feel the need to invade her privacy so they can exploit her for profit because she's gained weight due to health issues. There were photos of Bridget like that circulating around online a year or two ago too and most people here in the celeb thread were angry on her behalf.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Tammy12 said:

Sending the best to EB, sounds like he's got a good attitude and is going to beat it easily

Not to be too negative, but bladder cancer is hard to beat.  I wish him success. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5