Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

On 3/17/2019 at 6:39 PM, HeatLifer said:

I don’t care for that story but it’s refreshing to see a grateful actor who is playing all sides and having fun with both girls.

All three could teach their older colleagues (cough, Gina, Jason, cough)  about how to behave off screen.

To wit: This was funny, and sweet.

• LOL 3
  • Love 14

Coroner says ‘Young and Restless’ star died of heart disease

LOS ANGELES (AP) — “The Young and the Restless” star Kristoff St. John died of heart disease, with excessive drinking at the time of his death a contributing factor, according to a coroner’s report released Tuesday.

Investigators listed “hypertrophic heart disease” as the cause of the 52-year-old’s death on Feb. 4 at his home in Los Angeles. “Hypertrophic” means the heart muscle has become abnormally thick, making blood-pumping difficult.

Heavy alcohol use along with a congenital artery problem contributed to St. John’s death, the report said.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

That’s so classy Shemar, Victoria, and Micheal are returning to honor Kristoff and the character of Neil. 

I hate to speak bluntly on his coroners report but he did physically and emotionally die from a broken heart. 😭 

The weakened heart muscle and the suicidal threats and binge drinking. I’ve heard before that very traumatic experiences and loss can weaken/damage hearts. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

That’s so classy Shemar, Victoria, and Micheal are returning to honor Kristoff and the character of Neil. 

I hate to speak bluntly on his coroners report but he did physically and emotionally die from a broken heart. 😭 

The weakened heart muscle and the suicidal threats and binge drinking. I’ve heard before that very traumatic experiences and loss can weaken/damage hearts. 

I thought the same thing and imagined again the incomprehensible pain this man was bearing. 💔

• Love 5

Hey @taavir40 I was scrolling through the #yr Twitter hashtag recently. You said you were Adam Newman Fan on Twitter so presumably that’s your tweet below. 

You seem like a nice person so I’ll ask politely: in future please refrain from presenting my *exact* words as your own. (It’s just soap commentary and not a huge deal but in real life I’m a professional writer and so this type of thing pisses me off.)

Please delete the offending tweet:

• Love 7

Emmy nods are out. PB and MM each got one, as did BJ.

Beth Maitland got a supporting nomination and inexplicably so did Zach Tinker as Fenmore. 

Not a single Y&R actress scored a lead nomination 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Not even Phyllis or the blond and brunette versions of Phyllis, Summer and Mia. Gee I can’t imagine why 🙄 

And of course we can’t ignore the great work of Strippi becoming a drunk and dealing with a killing. Those were each scintillating plots when told the first 10 times. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 4

As mentioned upthread, the nominations Y&R got:

BEST ACTOR
Peter Bergman, as Jack Abbott
The Young and the Restless, CBS

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Bryton James, as Devon Hamilton

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Beth Maitland, as Traci Abbott

Mishael Morgan, as Hilary Curtis

BEST YOUNGER ACTOR
Zach Tinker, as Fenmore Baldwin

All four soaps got noms in the Best Directing Team and Best Writing Team categories.

I'm mystified by the one for Tinker as Fen. I never saw his portrayal as anything particularly outstanding. And it's interesting how many of the key Y&R players got shut out. Is the academy perhaps sending a message? Meh, the Daytime Emmys are a joke. It's pretty much become a circle jerk at this point, IMO.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

All four soaps got noms in the Best Directing Team and Best Writing Team categories.

I guess it’s easy to find one decent episode to submit. Not like the judges have to sift through an entire year of shows. Just find one that stands out and submit. Boom, a nomination. Wonder what Y&R submitted?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Sake614 said:

I guess it’s easy to find one decent episode to submit. Not like the judges have to sift through an entire year of shows. Just find one that stands out and submit. Boom, a nomination. Wonder what Y&R submitted?

I bet it was the episode where Phyllis and Nick defiled the kitchen island, considering the boon it was to the kitchen remodeling business as people all across the world recoiled in disgust and ripped theirs out.

• LOL 12
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, miamama said:

Hey @taavir40 I was scrolling through the #yr Twitter hashtag recently. You said you were Adam Newman Fan on Twitter so presumably that’s your tweet below. 

You seem like a nice person so I’ll ask politely: in future please refrain from presenting my *exact* words as your own. (It’s just soap commentary and not a huge deal but in real life I’m a professional writer and so this type of thing pisses me off.)

Please delete the offending tweet:

Deleted. I just agreed with you so I reposted. I didn't think. So I'm sorry wont happen again 

Edited by taavir40
  • Love 9

Well guess who popped up on the lastest episode of You're the Worst? None other than the portrayer of the most most recent Fenmore Baldwin, Zach Tinker. He who also just scored a Daytime Emmy nomination right out of the gate. Wonder if those family connections are helping? (His grandfather was the late preeminent TV executive and producer, Grant Tinker, and his step-grandmother was Mary Tyler Moore.)

• Useful 6
  • Love 6
28 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Wonder if those family connections are helping? (His grandfather was the late preeminent TV executive and producer, Grant Tinker, and his step-grandmother was Mary Tyler Moore.)

i wouldn't doubt it at all.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, taavir40 said:

Deleted. I just agreed with you so I reposted. I didn't think. So I'm sorry wont happen again 

I figured. In future feel free to rephrase using your own words. Or put quotations around the words and cite Previously TV’s boards or take a screenshot...

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, miamama said:

I figured. In future feel free to rephrase using your own words. Or put quotations around the words and cite Previously TV’s boards or take a screenshot...

i will! thanks for being nice about it. 

• Love 7
19 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

As mentioned upthread, the nominations Y&R got:

BEST ACTOR
Peter Bergman, as Jack Abbott

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Bryton James, as Devon Hamilton

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Beth Maitland, as Traci Abbott

Mishael Morgan, as Hilary Curtis

BEST YOUNGER ACTOR
Zach Tinker, as Fenmore Baldwin

I'm mystified by the one for Tinker as Fen. I never saw his portrayal as anything particularly outstanding. And it's interesting how many of the key Y&R players got shut out. Is the academy perhaps sending a message? Meh, the Daytime Emmys are a joke. It's pretty much become a circle jerk at this point, IMO.

The Daytime Emmys are a joke but I still want Peter to win. Lol

But even more than that I’m extremely pleased that neither member of the heavily featured romcom SEXAY leading couple got noms.

• Love 21

I agree that Something seems drastically wrong. Hopefully it’s a typo but perhaps Julian’s illness drained their bank account. 

Myocardial bridging is a congenital condition that can lead to an acute myocardial infarct ( heart attack ). 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, granderobino said:

I am so happy for Beth's nomination. I'm already looking forward to her next appearance. She makes every episode she is in better.

Quoting myself here, to update you all that I tweeted this same sentiment and got a "like" response from Beth, herself. Makes me glad to know that she sees how much we appreciate her.

• Love 21
7 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

The net value cannot be right, the man's been in the business since 1975 FFS!!

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/21/kristoff-st-johns-daughter-files-to-control-estate-after-he-dies-without-a-will/ 

Also that young woman in the photo isn't Paris. It's Lola, his younger daughter.

Goodness his children are all beautiful. 

35 minutes ago, granderobino said:

Quoting myself here, to update you all that I tweeted this same sentiment and got a "like" response from Beth, herself. Makes me glad to know that she sees how much we appreciate her.

I flipping love this woman. LOVE LOVE LOVE. I was briefly on Twitter and whenever I tweeted at her she liked or replied. Such a gracious class act. 

And a spectacular actress! You hear that show!

• Love 14
2 hours ago, miamama said:

I flipping love this woman. LOVE LOVE LOVE. I was briefly on Twitter and whenever I tweeted at her she liked or replied. Such a gracious class act. 

Agree. She seems very down to earth and positive and upbeat in her posts. A refreshing change from way Twitter usually is.

• Love 13
18 hours ago, miamama said:

Couldn't agree more with all the comments above about Beth Maitland! She always seems such a warm, decent person. And she just makes me feel better when I see her on Show.

• Love 18

I'm still sad about KSJ, but very relieved by the coroner's report. Every time I was thinking about him, which has been a lot, I kept hearing his voice in my head saying, "it was an accident", very adamantly and eventually to the point of yelling. So glad he's been vindicated.

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Well, I see on Twitter that it's adios, Arrrrrrturrrrrro.

No particular feelings either way--I think the guy needed to pick up a few more acting chops.

With any luck he'll be taking Mia with him.

• LOL 2
  • Love 14
30 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Well, I see on Twitter that it's adios, Arrrrrrturrrrrro.

No particular feelings either way--I think the guy needed to pick up a few more acting chops.

Yeah when they retconned the Arturo-Mia sex scene it was clear he was done. I'm guessing Mia is headed away too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
12 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Well, I’ll miss the eye candy, but if he takes Phyllis Jr. with him, it will ease the loss.

Funny! I never thought JC was good looking. His face was too narrow for me. LOL!!! I'm glad JV is sticking around. He was just canned by DAYS before coming to Y&R. It be nice if he had some steady employement. I think they'll keep the actress who plays Mia. I can take or leave the actress who plays Lola. I guess it all depends on what the writers have in store for Kyle.

• Love 5

Did anyone see that obnoxious interview Jason Canela did a month or so ago? When he said (paraphrasing): "I know some fans aren't happy with the Rosales family but they're going to have to suck it up we're not going anywhere..."

lmao.

He clearly doesn't get how soaps work when a new regime comes in.

• LOL 11
  • Love 7

Wow, I didn't realize Carolyn Hinsey was still around and still in the soap opera game. I remember when all the soap stars had to suck up to her because she wielded a lot of influence PR-wise. That was mostly before the advent of social media though, after which actors could exert more personal control over their contact with and perception by the public.

So Arturo is heading out. I suspect he'll take Mia with him or she'll soon follow, even though the actress claims she's going nowhere. Rey seems like a tossup to me since it looks like he's going to be fired by the GCPD. However, it also looks like he and Sharon are going to be a couple so maybe he'll stick around and start his own PI agency. The show seems to be trying to build up the Summer/Kyle/Lola triangle so I think it looks doubtful that Lola will be leaving in the short run. Ch-ch-ch-changes!

He clearly doesn't get how soaps work when a new regime comes in.

Perhaps but the Rosales family was a pet project of the head of CBS Daytime, who is Latina. He's probably had reason to believe he and the other three actors were safe under her wing. Apparently something has changed at her level or above her though.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 11

Carolyn Hinsey can suck it. Arturo was introduced long before the rest of his family was even a thought. He was a contractor hired by Nick who ended up shtupping Nikki and then fell for Abby. Lola was mentioned once or twice after several months but not seen until much later. Rey Rey and Mia were both afterthoughts but even they were brought on separately. 

The oroblem wasn’t with the introduction it was the Rosales family taking over the entire show. And honestly while Arturo has bugged me for a while, he and Lola are the least objectionable of that family. Mia is a joke and Rey is useless (except apparently to sharon).

Edited by Sake614
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15
3 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Carolyn Hinsey can suck it. Arturo was introduced long before the rest of his family was even a thought. He was a contractor hired by Nick who ended up shtupping Nikki and then fell for Abby. Lola was mentioned once or twice after several months but not seen until much later. Rey Rey and Mia were both afterthoughts but even they were brought on separately. 

The oroblem wasn’t with the introduction it was the Rosales family taking over the entire show. And honestly while Arturo has bugged me for a while, he and Lola are the least objectionable of that family. Mia is a joke and Rey is useless (except apparently to sharon).

I don't think there was much time between the introductions. Arturo did have a head start and he was pretty back burner as he should have been at the beginning. (Though I wouldn't describe him as having been on "long before" the rest of his family.) But once Mal decided a family was coming (whenever that was done) it was extremely fast by soap standards. 

I don't have any opinion on Carolyn Hinsey (or really know who she is) but she's right. They came on too quickly, interacted inexplicably only among themselves for far too much of their story (like who gives a fuck about Mia and Rey and whether her past with Arturo threatens their marriage?), and were leading in episode counts as a group (!??) well ahead of all established characters (I think Josh Morrow is the only one who was on par with them). That's nuts. It's a simple rule of soaps and to be honest I can't think of anyone who's broken it this egregiously as far as Y&R is concerned. Not only was this family brought on very quickly they were given front burner stories very quickly.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
5 minutes ago, miamama said:

they were given front burner stories very quickly.

And that’s the problem. Not that they brought on a new family. You need new characters that aren’t related to everyone else on the show. But when they were suddenly front and center at the expense of established characters, fans resented it. Of course there are some who will resent any new character even if he/she is only seen once a month. But i think most are open to new people, so long as they’re integrated into the existing stories instead of given their own right away.

• Love 18
3 hours ago, miamama said:

They came on too quickly, interacted inexplicably only among themselves for far too much of their story

not to mention that the Police Chief got ousted with no explanation, reason or logical buildup to the event.  He was there one day, then Rey came on with his Important Mission to suss out JT and poof, Paulie is gone.  That doesn't sit well with long time viewers.

• Love 17

I never understood why they didn't bring back the John Silva character and use him to start integrating Hispanic characters. Long time viewers remember him (he was damn fine too, not sure why he didn't get more play amongst the ladies of YR) and he could've been brought back during Prictor's incarceration and then start to build from there. But that would have made way too much sense. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Well, I feel bad for JC if he wanted to stay and not branch out. The mistake with the Rosales clan was indeed having too many scenes where it was just all them talking about stuff that happened off-screen in the past. A sometimes viewer who is ripe for being sucked back into "their soap" might flip it on and not know who the hell these people were. I had a nearly 8 year break from the show but what pulled me back in was "recognizing" Lauren and Michael (even though those two were NEVER my faves) interacting amidst a bunch of what were to me strangers (Jana, Amber, Kevin, etc). There was something (Marland book?) that said the key to folding in new characters is putting them with existing ones first. The irony with Arturo is they actually did do that with him--if not the siblings later.

Edited by JasonCC
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, JasonCC said:

Well, I feel bad for JC if he wanted to stay and not branch out. The mistake with the Rosales clan was indeed having too many scenes where it was just all them talking about stuff that happened off-screen in the past. A sometimes viewer who is ripe for being sucked back into "their soap" might flip it on and not know who the hell these people were. I had a nearly 8 year break from the show but what pulled me back in was "recognizing" Lauren and Michael (even though those two were NEVER my faves) interacting amidst a bunch of what were to me strangers (Jana, Amber, Kevin, etc). There was something (Marland book?) that said the key to folding in new characters is putting them with existing ones first. The irony with Arturo is they actually did do that with him--if not the siblings later.

Yup, JasonCC, that was Doug Marland. Great observations, too!

I experienced the same thing as you coming back to a soap after years away from it--you look for the characters you remember, and gradually figure out the network of connections to other characters you don't know yet, based on the familiar people.

JC was given the college try, as you say, but to me, he was just short in the acting-range department. Jordi V actually isn't a bad actor, and he's got a lot of soap mileage on him, but the character is written horribly. Senora Mia, OTOH, isn't even a love-to-hate, she has no redeeming virtues to me.

• Love 16